Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

glow or electric

Community
Search
Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

glow or electric

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 08:17 AM
luker737
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default glow or electric

Which is better for flying off water glow engine or a electric motor . Please don't just say glow or electric please tell me why ?
Old 06-06-2010, 09:04 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts
Default RE: glow or electric

It depends on two major factors, Location and your willingness to pay to replace electronics

If you are flying close to homes, or some other area where the noise will attract negative attention,, then Glow will get you in trouble
I've never read a thread about a Glow Engine not running after a dunking, but over and over about ESCs and E-Motors

If neither of those are an issue for you,,it comes down to personal preference
Old 06-06-2010, 09:51 AM
JimCasey
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Further to Scale Only 4 me's excellent answer:
It is highly unusual for an electric just to quit when you're taxiing. Many glo motors have less than completely reliable idle. Once they quit, you get to go for a boat ride to get your plane back.

If the enviro-sillies happen to be watching, a glo-motor leaves an oil slick on the water when you're taxiing. It is a very short duration effect. I know of a pond where guys have been flying glo-motors regularly for over 10 years, and the ducks have never gotten as much as a pimple from this, but some people operate on pure emotion, not fact.

If you dunk an electric, it is widely reported that the ESC can fry. ESCs can be protected. Blow out the motor with some compressed air, re-lube the bearings, and go fly.

If you dunk a glo motor, drain the water out by holding the exhaust down and flipping the prop. The re-start it and run it for a while. Alcohol fuel is really good at washing away water droplets. Exception: some 4-strokes can retain water in the bearings. Special precautions would be necessary on these motors to prevent bearing rust, or just put Boca Bearings on your speed dial.
Old 06-06-2010, 10:58 AM
Tommygun
My Feedback: (2)

I used to think glow because of the ability to sustain dunkings, and the power to get off the water and deal with stronger winds. However, I bought a Seawind EP and now have a very difficult time going back to glow. I fly primarely from my full scale powerboat. Not having to violate US Coast Guard safety requirements by storing flammable liquids aboard and risk getting castor oil/spilled glow full on my nice white vinyl interior is a MAJOR plus. Also, on many of the bodies of water we operate from the glow power can be a nuisance. The glow engine noise makes people think you're doing something illegal and dangerous that puts their waterfront property at risk. This doesn't seem to be the case most of the time with electric, they just say "what a cool toy plane!" And that's only if they notice it. Like others have said, with electric the risk of the engine quitting and having to go get it is almost nil. But, I'm starting to dump all my glow and replace it with electric anyway, so I'm slightly biased. I would however, fly a gasoline seaplane, but only in an area that it couldn't be a nuisance. What body of water will you operating out of?
Old 06-06-2010, 12:36 PM
Bob93447

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you do decide to go electric, waterproof your esc with corrosionX. It gives some amount of protection against dunking.
Old 06-06-2010, 05:00 PM
Fast Guy

Here are 3 examples of planes that I fly on floats. All are electric, have been flowen many times and never been dunked. I can see no reason to go glow over electric. Both are equal in performance.

[link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SaT_g2NxCtE]Electristar on Floats[/link]
[link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJF_t2XUkdI]GP Silhouette[/link]
[link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_SYVD0TY14]Sig 1/5 Scale J3 Piper Cub Kit on Floats (Electric)[/link]