Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

Want to try the water.

Community
Search
Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

Want to try the water.

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 07:59 PM
Charles Thomas
My Feedback: (43)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Want to try the water.

I want to try out flying off water so what is a good float plane? Everything I have is gas so would like to stay gas (no glow) and I do have one electric but not sure if electric works well with water??? Also would like an ARF or a VERY EASY/FAST build kit. I have thought about a GP giant stick or the GP giant super sportster on a set of 1/4 scale floats I have from another project.

Thanks

Charles
Old 08-30-2010, 08:20 PM
DeferredDefect

Default RE: Want to try the water.

Hello!

I don't fly gas, only glow, but almost any Cub is a great float plane. I'm sure you can get a large scale ARF or kit to suit your needs as well, as there are hundreds of different models available. I personally fly the Carl Goldberg Cub on floats - it's a blast!

Make sure that you keep as little wood exposed to the water as possible, as it can swell up and cause problems. Also, add a ventral fin to the underside of the rear fuselage. This helps with yaw on takeoff and landing.

Wait for a calm day, with as little wind as possible, and calm waters to try for a maiden flight. Floatplanes are far more susceptable to wind compared to land planes, with the larger side area with floats and the ventral fin. Floats also add a pendulum effect, with lots of weight below the centreline, so you may find that they need controls to be "held" slightly to maintain a turn.

Landing is just as easy as on land: Line it up into the wind, and flare. You can also let it float further on landing, as the runway is generally longer.

Hope this helps!

Graeme
Old 08-31-2010, 06:00 AM
JimCasey
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most any plane that you are comfortable flying can be adapted to floats. 
there is a FAQ sticky in this forum just to answer the kind of questions you are asking, and to get you started. Read thru especially the Cunningham article in Randy Linderman's website, or the same article in the seaplane supply website and you'll be 'waay up on the learning curve. 

Graeme's advice was good.  The  "FAQ"(Frequently Asked Questions) site gives you info on how to size floats, where to buy, how to make your own, and other float-specific stuff. 
Old 08-31-2010, 06:25 AM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Those small foam supercubs you see out there by hobbyzone I think..are unbeatable. My buddies have them..even when they nose over or flip they seem to float high enough to keep the goodies protected. I think someone even has ready to go floats for them. I think you will be happy with that combo.. I would get the brushless version if it was me..
Old 08-31-2010, 06:50 AM
Charles Thomas

Thanks.
Old 08-31-2010, 09:18 PM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

ps ..the number one float plane tool is a fishing pole with a tennis ball on the end !

have fun...
Old 09-01-2010, 07:17 AM
Charles Thomas

Thanks.
Old 09-01-2010, 07:39 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts