Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

Maiden Flight of GP Cub with GP floats

Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

Maiden Flight of GP Cub with GP floats

Old 08-31-2010, 05:53 AM
hutchis
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Maiden Flight of GP Cub with GP floats

Just thought I would share some information on my maiden float flight of this clipped wing cub (40 size). The floats are the 40 size gp floats that I modified with a water servo in each float. In these pictures, you can see the y harnes exposed behind the wing as I have not made a permanent solution for the wiring just yet.

The cub/floats was my winter project last year, and I have been flying the cub on land most of the summer with a 55 os ax. When I finally installed the floats, I was surprised how much lead I had to add (see pictures) in order to barely get the plane nose heavy. In the gp float kit, the instructions had me install 1.5 ounces inside each float, but in addition to this, I had to add 3 additional ounces on each float, mounting them to the exterior of the floats which I really did not like. Obviously, the two servos in the middle/rear of the floats had something to do with this. Needless to say, this whole kit was a little heavy and I was a little nervous on my maiden flight.

With high rates on the rudder/water rudders, the water handling was more than I could ask for and I can turn the plan on a dime. Upon take off, once it planned up on the floats (with low rates on the rudder), it tracked straight but took a lot of river before it finally lifted off. I was pleased how straight it tracked and the take off was more scale like than at the field. My first landing was rough as I'm used to floating this plane in at the field, but no harm was done and it just bounced off the water as I stalled it too soon. My second flight was better, I came in faster and was able to flare the landing a bit.

When flying the plane, I noticed once I was up I was probably a little more than a quarter throttle for a comfortable maiden voyage, but with the weight of these floats I doubt I'll be doing any serious aerobatics. I guess its just more of a scale looking project that looks really sweet on the water......Hutch....
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om33235.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	109.4 KB
ID:	1493092   Click image for larger version

Name:	Us52743.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	123.6 KB
ID:	1493093   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh15854.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	1493094   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay75851.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	1493095  
Old 08-31-2010, 06:04 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Maiden Flight of GP Cub with GP floats

She looks sweet!

A lot of weight on the float tips is not unusual.

As for landing, just before she sets down (and I mean JUST before) add a few clicks of throttle. The extra pull won't be enough to keep it flying, but it WILL give it a little extra pull to overcome the extra drag of touching the water.
Old 08-31-2010, 06:06 AM
JimCasey
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Those floats are widely regarded for being heavy and oversized.  Several shops make completely delightful foam-cored floats that weigh a quarter of what those weigh, and when you subtract he weight of wheels there is hardly a difference in the weight of the plane with floats.  Your plane will regain its aerobatic abilities.  High-wing planes usually become somewhat MORE capable of inverted flight with floats. 
Old 08-31-2010, 06:09 AM
Augie11

Nice job on the plane and the floats! Sounds like you've already mastered the toughest part of float flying- getting her to run straight on takeoff.

Considering she's a clip and with the OS AX55, don't sell her short on aerobatic potential until you try it. With that setup you should be able to do nice 'Cub loops', stall turns, barrel rolls and Cuban 8's. If you want to try a spin get her way up there for the first attempt as those floats add a lot of inertia to a spin. On the other hand, can you really beat SLOW flybys and touch and goes???????

Enjoy your Cub. When you build another (and you probably will), you already know about the weight requirements.
Old 08-31-2010, 06:16 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: JimCasey

Several shops make completely delightful foam-cored floats that weigh a quarter of what those weigh,
Jim can you post a few links?
Old 08-31-2010, 01:41 PM
JimCasey
My Feedback: (1)

>>>Jim can you post a few links?<<<

Sure. See my website, It's the "Frequently asked Questions"sticky. Or, in my signature.

Planefun floats and Seaplane supply are both good. Sea-Commander floats has a line of foam floats. Slocan floats gets generally good reviews.
The Cunningham article tells you what you need to know to select the right size and set them up, even to make your own!

Old 08-31-2010, 03:13 PM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

ORIGINAL: hutchis

Just thought I would share some information on my maiden float flight of this clipped wing cub (40 size). The floats are the 40 size gp floats that I modified with a water servo in each float. In these pictures, you can see the y harnes exposed behind the wing as I have not made a permanent solution for the wiring just yet.

The cub/floats was my winter project last year, and I have been flying the cub on land most of the summer with a 55 os ax. When I finally installed the floats, I was surprised how much lead I had to add (see pictures) in order to barely get the plane nose heavy. In the gp float kit, the instructions had me install 1.5 ounces inside each float, but in addition to this, I had to add 3 additional ounces on each float, mounting them to the exterior of the floats which I really did not like. Obviously, the two servos in the middle/rear of the floats had something to do with this. Needless to say, this whole kit was a little heavy and I was a little nervous on my maiden flight.

I made the same mistake on my kingfisher, I installed a servo in the float without checking balance first and also needed to add more weight,, If I had to do it again, I'd move the servo to the front of the float and save a few oz.s.

Last Saturday at a local event a guy had a 60 size or 1/4 scale Cub,, He had installed Servos, 2nd Rx, and battery in the floats so it was completely isolated from the Flying Rx,, Nice idea really if you can afford the extra weight,, No wires to run down the struts.

I agree, once you get comfortable with the extra weight and drag of the floats, you'll find the plane plenty aerobatic.
good luck
Old 09-05-2010, 10:59 PM
frets24
My Feedback: (15)

Hey Hutchis,
What is the all up weight on your cub? I have the same GP Cub (40 size 76.5"WS) with the same float kit and the full wing. I'm running a Saito FA-62 and mine seems to be a real dog.

It flies great on the wheels and I even carry a 2.5lb chunk of lead onboard right on the CG to help it not all but hover on landings. Without the weight it just goes on forever 18" off the ground and gets so slow that the surfaces have no control authority. The floats weigh out at 3lbs with the supports and 1 servo in the float for the water rudder so one would think this would just about be a wash since the wheels and functional struts are 6oz.

Glad to hear that yours seems to handle the float just fine even with the clipped wing. gives me hope!
Old 09-07-2010, 05:33 PM
hutchis
My Feedback: (8)

Unfortunately I do not have a small enough scale to measure the exact weight ( I guess I should though). I just know at the field it takes off like an electric, and on the floats I have to be patient and gain much more ground/water speed. Good luck with your cub....
Old 09-07-2010, 11:31 PM
chistech

Last year I gave my buddy a GP fabric covered cub and a set of GP 60 size built up floats. It has a ASP 60 engine on it and a sub fin. This cub has a 81" wingspan and his floats are glassed with a servo in each float. He has no problem leaving the water with this set up even though the GP floats are ply and heavy compared to foam floats. He never uses more than half throttle to get off the water and less to fly. Prop selection could be your problem. Your 62 Saito should be enough engine to fly a 76" cub on floats.
Old 09-20-2010, 11:33 PM
frets24
My Feedback: (15)

Hey chistech!
Used to see you alot on the Kyosho ME109 thread I think it was...or maybe the willhobby fw190 thread...anyway nice to see you here!
I've tried three different MAS props:13x6, 12x8 and 12x6, rpm seems a bit low with all of them relative to the advertised rpm. I was getting about 8k with the 13x6 and 12x8, 8.5k on the 12x6.

Just finished doing a new cowl and mounting an FA90t. We'll try that one out this coming weekend.

Replaced the bearings in the FA62...it had a bit of a buzz to it that my others don't. Havent had time to run it after that yet and I haven't run my other 62 in so long that I can't recall what rpm I was getting on it, though it seems to me it was appreciably more.
Old 09-21-2010, 09:09 AM
ThomasD59

Sea-Commander is up and running.  I just received my floats for my Top Flite Cessna 182very nice.  Ryan is a real pro at customer service too.
Old 09-21-2010, 11:44 PM
chistech

Hi Frets,
Yea it's me from the Kyosho threads. My 62 Saito with a MA 13x6 gives me about 9,600-9,700. I use a RC Specialties Turboheader on it and that is supposed to give about 2-300 more top end. Your rpms sound low for the 62. Did you check the valve lash? I use Cool Power 15% all the time and get good results with it. I recently bought a YS 63 because I thought the rpms would be higher than the Saito. With the same fuel I virtually got the same. To me there was no advantage to the YS. I suppose using the higher nitro would get the R's up there but I really don't need the hassle of the check valve/pressure release every time I go to fill up. Come to think of it, my old Saito 65's give about 9k with a 13x6 and I know the 62 AAC will outperform the 65. Something sounds wrong with your motor. Good luck.