RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Seaplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/seaplanes-176/)
-   -   Float Plane info ? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/seaplanes-176/11351383-float-plane-info.html)

Billy Clink 12-31-2012 04:37 PM

Float Plane info ?

Does anyone know the theory for mounting floats on a plane . I am putting floats on a 60 size Telemaster ,,,,Do I center the floats under the CG or to the front of the CG ? I put them centered under the CG when I set the plane on them , the weight of the tail pulls the tips of the floats off the table ,. It sets on the back quarter of the floats !!!! Do I move them back behind the CG so the plane will set level on the floats ! If So this will make it Tail Heavy ! ANY IDEAS ! Billy Thompson

flyinwalenda 12-31-2012 05:01 PM

RE: Float Plane info ?

Typically the float step should be at least 1/2" behind the normal CG point . Some planes require it to be 1" behind. Other planes fly better with the CG on the step. Usually when the step is forward of the CG the water handling is not so good.
Next you have to check the incidence of the wing related to the top of the floats. The wing should have about 2 degrees positive incidence and you adjust the float brackets to achieve that
Usually a plane becomes nose heavy when the proper size floats are installed. It sounds like the floats you have may be too short and/or the atep is ahead of the CG.
With the step set behind the CG point , the tips of the floats should extend a bit beyond the prop nut or spinner
To determine if you have the right length floats you first need to measure the length of the fuselage from the front of the thrust washer of the engine to the end of the vertical stab (not the rudder). Then take 75% of that length and that should be the length of the floats you will need.
Try and keep the floats as light as you can and you will probably need a water rudder on one of the floats if not both. The rudders can be tied into the planes existing linkages or a seperate servo can be used and "Y''ed" into the rudder servo.
The Telemaster will make a nice float plane.

Billy Clink 12-31-2012 06:37 PM

Thank you . The floats extend about a inch in front of the spinner ,,, They figure out to be 63.5 % instead of 75% . I have a float for the tail of the plane if I need it ! I am going to fly it off the snow tomorrow the way I have it set up now .. I will Remember what you tell me ,, I will Check incedence . and assemble a set of new floats to the proper length ! I will post tomorrow and let you know how it works ! Billy T.

flyinwalenda 01-01-2013 06:07 AM

I can tell you that having a set of floats too small for that plane won't work off of the water but work great on snow. I put a set on one of my planes(big high wing Telematser/Kadet type) and they were too short to keep the the plane stable or work at all on the water . They just came flush with the prop nut and they were too short for the rear with the step on the CG. But the plane handled , took-off ,and landed well on powered or packed snow.
You should have no trouble on the snow...just make sure it's balanced ! Floats work great on snow, better than skis for big , heavy planes and you can go out in the deep snow . Using skis on heavy planes I would be limited to 2 inches of new snow or wait until it melted down and iced-up.
If you want to make it into a water float plane you will need a longer set of floats as that's why the tail is falling.

JimCasey 01-01-2013 12:18 PM

Sizing and rigging floats is addressed in the "Frequently asked questions" sticky.
 You're gonna have fun. Flying off floats is a blast. 

Billy Clink 01-01-2013 01:38 PM

Well Flying today was very successful, the floats worked incredible , excellent ground handling , slow smooth take offs , no trim issuses at higher or slow speeds . It is flying like a telemaster ! touch and gos no issues , landings are the most fun ,, very smooth soft landings . No problems at all , I had several flights today ... Thanks for the advice flyinl..... ! Billy T.

flyinwalenda 01-02-2013 06:06 AM

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...sn/thumbup.gif :)

MajorTomski 01-02-2013 06:28 AM

Welcome to the dark wet side!:D