RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Seaplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/seaplanes-176/)
-   -   PULSE 125 ON FLOATS (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/seaplanes-176/11441551-pulse-125-floats.html)

HK4ECG 03-12-2013 04:29 PM

PULSE 125 ON FLOATS

This plane flight really well. With home made floats looks awesome
http://youtu.be/TEldACgNoeQ

Mustang Fever 03-14-2013 04:10 AM

RE: PULSE 125 ON FLOATS

1 Attachment(s)
Great video!!

The Pulses make great seaplanes. Mine is a 60 size, with home made Flybaby floats.

You'll bounce less on landings if you try pulling the nose up high just before touchdown. The big Pulse won't stall- it will just slow down real nice and touch real soft. Also, the Pulse doesn't like to go fast. I find that a 5" pitch prop is plenty, and it lets me slow down real nice for landings. Enjoy!!

HK4ECG 03-15-2013 03:36 PM

Thanks for your kind comments. <span id="result_box" lang="en"><span class="hps">Your</span> Pulse<span class="hps"></span> <span class="hps">60</span> <span class="hps">looks</span> <span class="hps">really beautiful</span> <span class="hps">with floats</span><span>.</span> <span class="hps">The</span><span class="hps"></span> <span class="hps">carbon</span> <span class="hps">fiber</span> landing gear are<span class="hps"> awesome</span>. </span><span id="result_box" lang="en"><span class="hps">If</span> <span class="hps">you have a</span> <span class="hps">video</span> <span class="hps">of this</span> plane <span class="hps">I would love to</span> <span class="hps">have a link</span> <span class="hps">to view. You are right about try  </span></span>pulling the nose up high just before touchdown, however  I am not able to do this because <span id="result_box" class="short_text" lang="en"><span class="hps">the</span> <span class="hps">aircraft is</span> <span class="hps">tail</span> <span class="hps">heavy</span> <span class="hps">240 grams (8.5 Oz). </span></span><span id="result_box" lang="en"><span class="hps">when</span> <span class="hps">I try to</span> <span class="hps">raise the nose</span> <span class="hps">a bit</span><span>,</span> <span class="hps">the plane</span> <span class="hps">is</span> <span class="hps">still</span> <span class="hps">flying</span> <span class="hps">and</span>  <span class="hps"></span></span><span id="result_box" lang="en"><span class="hps"><span id="result_box" lang="en"><span class="hps">flying and </span></span></span></span><span id="result_box" lang="en"><span class="hps"><span id="result_box" lang="en"><span class="hps"><span id="result_box" lang="en"><span class="hps">flying and</span></span> </span></span>not</span> <span class="hps">able to land. </span></span><span id="result_box" class="short_text" lang="en"><span class="hps">Then the plane</span> <span class="hps">loses</span> <span class="hps"> speed and splash occurs. </span></span><span id="result_box" lang="en"><span class="hps">Tail</span> <span class="hps">overweight</span> <span class="hps">is</span> <span class="hps">due to an error</span> <span class="hps">in</span> <span class="hps">the fixing point</span> <span class="hps">of the floats</span><span>.</span> <span class="hps">Will</span> <span class="hps">need to be moved</span> <span class="hps">forward</span> <span class="hps">until the</span> <span class="hps">steep</span> <span class="hps atn">is 1/</span><span class="atn">2 " </span><span>behind the CG (Actually 1-7/8") . </span></span><span id="result_box" lang="en"><span class="hps">This</span> <span class="hps">correction</span> <span class="hps">in</span> <span class="hps">the fixing point</span> <span class="hps">of the floats</span> <span class="hps">largely</span> <span class="hps">solve</span> <span class="hps">the excess</span> <span class="hps">weight in the</span> <span class="hps">tail. W</span></span><span id="result_box" lang="en"><span class="hps">hen I</span> <span class="hps">have corrected</span> <span class="hps">the problem</span><span>,</span> <span class="hps">I will make</span> <span class="hps">a new</span> <span class="hps">video</span> <span class="hps">and</span> <span class="hps">share it with</span> <span class="hps">you</span> <span class="hps">so we can see</span> <span class="hps">the difference.

Thanks again

Carlos</span></span><span id="result_box" lang="en"><span class="hps"></span><span></span></span>

bikerbc 03-16-2013 01:06 PM

I have the Pulse 125 and it is one of the nicesest flying planes I have ever flowen..I have never tried it on floats but I can see that I am going to have to give it a try...I have a OS max FS120 on the nose so I have lots of power...It is actually quite strong too..One day I was showing off how great I could land and how slow I could bring it in and I over did it and I did one of the worse bounces I have ever seen..I hit so hard I drove the landing gear into the wing on both sides...Man I really hit but other than some cracked balsa it was fine...I was so embarased ...I had done the old red neck " watch this " so everybody was looking...I got a few Did you do that on purpose ??? Nobody could believe that I would be that crappy at landing...I think I might like the 60 size better than the 125...

Mustang Fever 03-16-2013 05:43 PM

Carlos: I forgot to mention that the Pulses seem to be ok with the CG behind the rearmost recommended point. On my 60, I have the CG 1/4" to the rear of the rearmost recommended, and my 25e it's about 1/8".

Also, when I have floats on either one of them, I keep the step in front of the CG by 1/2" on the 60, and 1/4" on the 25e.

HK4ECG 03-19-2013 11:37 AM

<span lang="en" id="result_box"><span class="hps">Things like that</span> <span class="hps">happen to us all</span> <span class="hps">at some time in</span> <span class="hps">life</span><span>.</span> <span class="hps">But</span> <span class="hps">that is no reason</span> to be descouraged<span class="hps">.</span> <span class="hps">The</span> <span class="hps">Pulse</span> <span class="hps">125 is</span> <span class="hps">a great</span> <span class="hps">rc plane</span> <span class="hps">and with floats</span> p<span class="hps">erforms very well</span><span>.</span> <span class="hps">In</span> <span class="hps">your</span> <span class="hps">particular case</span> <span class="hps">with FS</span> <span class="hps">120</span> engine <span class="hps">you are</span> <span class="hps">very powerful and</span> <span class="hps">will not have</span> <span class="hps">problems</span> <span class="hps">with floats</span><span>.</span> <span class="hps">Go ahead and</span> <span class="hps">do</span> <span class="hps">the</span> <span class="hps">floats conversion.

Carlos</span></span>

HK4ECG 03-19-2013 11:59 AM

<span lang="en" id="result_box"><span class="hps">These considerations</span> <span class="hps">about</span> <span class="hps">the location of the</span> <span class="hps">CG and</span> s<span class="hps">tep</span> <span class="hps">seem very</span> <span class="hps">interesting</span> <span class="hps">especially</span> <span class="hps">because they are outside</span> <span class="hps">the design parameters</span> <span class="hps">normally used</span><span>.</span> <span class="hps">I wonder</span> <span class="hps">if you</span> <span class="hps">initially</span> <span class="hps">put</span> <span class="hps">the step</span> <span class="hps">1/2"</span> <span>behind the CG</span> <span class="hps">and then by</span> <span class="hps">trial and error</span> <span class="hps">was</span> <span class="hps">changing the</span> <span class="hps">location of the</span> step (</span>in front of the CG by 1/2" on the 60, and 1/4" on the 25e).

Thanks
Carlos

Mustang Fever 03-19-2013 01:23 PM

I started out with the CG at the aft most recommended point, before putting floats on either one of them. During flight, it became apparent that they were both still nose heavy, as they required a lot of up trim for level flight, and were difficult to fly upside down. That's when I moved the CGs aft, and installed the floats. I've always placed the float steps forward of the CG by 1/4 - 1/2". Flying boats is another story. Small sport ones seem to like the step forward of the CG. Big scale ones are about impossible to do that with, you're stuck with the CG being a considerable distance forward of the step. (The 10' span Martin Mars I'm building shows the CG to be almost 4" forward of the step.) I think a little positive wing incidence (relative to the top of the float or the centerline of the flying boat hull) is more important than step/CG location. A touch of positive wing incidence makes it possible to take off with very little back pressure on the stick, which is what you want. If too much back pressure is required, the tail of the floats or the stern of the hull digs in and slows the airplane down.

HK4ECG 03-26-2013 04:06 PM

<span id="result_box" lang="en"><span class="hps">Thank you very much</span> <span class="hps">for your valuable</span> <span class="hps">comments</span><span>,</span> <span class="hps">it shows</span> <span class="hps">that you are a</span> <span class="hps">person</span> <span class="hps">with good experience in</span> <span class="hps">floats</span> <span class="hps">and the</span> <span class="hps">development of</span> <span class="hps">model aircraft</span><span>.</span> <span class="hps">I really</span> <span class="hps">appreciate</span> <span class="hps">your advice and</span> <span class="hps">technical considerations</span> <span class="hps">but especially</span> <span class="hps">appreciate</span> <span class="hps">your interest in</span> <span class="hps">my project</span><span>.</span> B<span class="hps">ased on</span> <span class="hps">your comments</span> <span class="hps">I have made some</span> <span class="hps">major changes</span> <span class="hps">in my</span> pulse 125<span class="hps"></span><span>.</span> <span class="hps">The main change</span> <span class="hps">I made</span> <span class="hps">is</span> <span class="hps">about the incidence</span> <span class="hps">of the wing</span> <span class="hps">relative to the</span><span class="hps"> top of</span> <span class="hps">the floats.</span> <span class="hps">Before</span> <span class="hps">the incidence</span> <span class="hps">was 4</span> <span class="hps">degrees</span><span>,</span> <span class="hps">now only has</span> <span class="hps">2 degrees

</span></span><span id="result_box" lang="en"><span class="hps"><span id="result_box" lang="en"><span class="hps">I</span><span>'ve</span> <span class="hps">made ​​a video</span> <span class="hps">with the modifications</span> <span class="hps">already completed</span> <span class="hps">and a</span> <span class="hps">little later</span> <span class="hps">I will</span> <span class="hps">post it</span> <span class="hps">for you to have</span> <span class="hps">the opportunity to see</span> <span class="hps">and</span> <span class="hps">also</span> <span class="hps">to</span> <span class="hps">review</span></span></span><span class="hps"></span>

<span class="hps">Thanks again for your time and your kindness

Carlos<br type="_moz"/></span></span>

Mustang Fever 03-26-2013 04:19 PM

Thanks, Carlos. Good luck with it!!

HK4ECG 03-26-2013 08:58 PM

Here is the video.

http://youtu.be/cFZ3GnoZHzY

Mustang Fever 03-27-2013 04:39 AM

Carlos: Sweet!! Your landings are looking really, really great.

I didn't realize til now that yours is electric- what motor. prop, and battery did you use? (Mine's got an OS75AX in it)

HK4ECG 03-28-2013 11:29 AM

Thanks for your kind words.

My model setup:

Speed Control: Phoenix Ice HV 120 Extreme Air BL ESC by Castle Creations
Motor: Power 110 Brushless Outrunner Motor, 295Kv By E-Flite
Prop: APC Electric 16 x 12. <span lang="en" class="short_text" id="result_box"><span class="hps">This prop</span> <span class="hps">will be</span> <span class="hps">replaced</span> <span class="hps">with an</span> <span class="hps">APC 16 x 10
Power Pack: 2 x Turnigy 4 Cell 5000 mAh in Series. Total 8 Cell pack / 29.6V
Receiver Power: CC BEC 10A / 25v By Castle Set to 4.8V out and connected </span></span><span lang="en" class="short_text" id="result_box"><span class="hps">through the balance terminal in orde to get only 25V</span></span>
Rx: AR8000 8 Channel DSMX By Spektrum.
Servos: 4 x 645MG By Hitec.
Max input power : 1700 watts / 52A using APC 16 x 12
Fligth time: 20 Min in smooth flying mode
Flying Weight:: 12 lb

Carlos