RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Seaplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/seaplanes-176/)
-   -   Ideas for connecting water rudder (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/seaplanes-176/11574910-ideas-connecting-water-rudder.html)

stevegauth30 07-20-2013 06:26 AM

Ideas for connecting water rudder

1 Attachment(s)
I am just about done hooking up my first float plane. It's a SIG 1/6 cub, and I'm not sure the best way to go about rigging up the rudder. The floats are already fiberglassed, so mounting a servo in the float is not really an option for me. I actually had a servo mounted in the rear of the float, but some one talked me out of it, so I closed it up before fiberglass sing. I know I can run a snake type linkage from inside the plane off of the rudder servo, but not sure how, especially with a pull pull set up. If anyone can maybe post a pic or two of a similar setup, I would really appreciate it. The servo on the left in the pic is the rudder.thanks a lot, Steve.

Boomerang1 07-20-2013 01:58 PM

RE: Ideas for connecting water rudder

What I have done in the past is to make a bracket to attach in place of the tailwheel bracket which
holds a Sullivan nyrod.

This faces forward then loops back towards the rear of the float to operate the rudder.

You will probably have to cable tie it to the float leg to stop it flapping. - John.

stevegauth30 07-20-2013 05:14 PM

Thanks boomerang. I tried a cable and sleeve from the rudder servo, looped forward, and back with a bunch of zip ties, even put two landing gear straps in between, and it didn't work. It would pull, but no push. Not even back to neutral.back to the drawing board. I'm going to try running it straight back, and down through the corner of an existing access panel, and down. Hopefully, without the big loop and half the distance might work. If not, I'll really have to start thinking, but it shouldn't be this hard. Tanks for the idea. Steve.

stevegauth30 07-21-2013 04:09 AM

Ok, now I'm ready to pull my hair out. I've tried a few different ways, with no luck. I first tried coming off of the servo inside the cockpit, looping forward, and back. No luck. So I tried coming off of the horn on the rudder, forward and back, no luck. So then I tried the same way, except I put a bellcrank half way and went over to a music wire pushrod, still nothing. I even left the bellcrank and went back inside to the servo and nothing. I'm ready to throw in the towel and put the wheel back on. What the heck am I doing wrong?should I just bite the bullet and tear into the float to mount a servo?whats the best way to do it and keep water out?please help.

flyinwalenda 07-21-2013 04:33 AM

If you don't want to open the floats you could try this. Install a servo upside down in the bottom of the fuse midway or where you can gain access. Construct a box, recess it a little so it's not as noticible if you want. Run your nyrod in a more straight line with less angle through the float rigging from the servo horn to the rudder. Connect that servo to the main rudder servo with a "Y" connector.

JimCasey 07-21-2013 04:50 AM

How about a scale-like setup. Cheap, easy, weightless.
Come off the rudder horns (2 required- as in pull-pull), with stranded fishing line.
Go forward to the rear float strut,
Go down to the top of the float,
Back to the water-rudder.

Pulleys are not required. I use 2-56 eyebolts.

http://brownsseaplane.com.yew.arvixe...otos/ramp2.jpg
this is a full-size cub at Jack Brown's seaplane base. You will find that the cable has to be crossed once for the water rudder to move in the same direction as the air rudder.

stevegauth30 07-21-2013 05:37 AM

Thanks guys for all of the good ideas. I ended up just cutting the float open. I didn't really want to, but I was getting frustrated. I'll find a way to keep it water tight, and go with it. If for whatever reason that doesn't work, then ill try Jim's scale set up. At least that would look right, not that it's a scale cub, cus it's not. Thanks again for the ideas. Steve.