RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Seaplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/seaplanes-176/)
-   -   gee bee "islander mark 11 (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/seaplanes-176/6957004-gee-bee-%22islander-mark-11-a.html)

Falcon6667 01-23-2008 03:02 PM

gee bee "islander mark 11

does anyone have a set of plans for this plane?
Falcon

Butcherbird58 03-21-2013 09:09 AM

RE: gee bee

did you ever find plans for the Gee Bee Islander?I am looking as well

Falcon6667 03-21-2013 09:19 AM

ORIGINAL: Butcherbird58

did you ever find plans for the Gee Bee Islander? I am looking as well

No never did,,,,,,,

Butcherbird58 03-22-2013 03:55 AM

Guess I will need to reverse engineer myself then, know from the spec. the wing span and area, constant cord wing is easy, empenagevolume and placement isproportional to wing area, any ideas on how to bond to the Gee Bee float, everything I read on floats indicates that a sharp edge is needed at the step to create the air pocket.

Falcon6667 03-22-2013 04:11 AM

Guess I will need to reverse engineer myself then, know from the spec. the wing span and area, constant cord wing is easy, empenage volume and placement is proportional to wing area, any ideas on how to bond to the Gee Bee float, everything I read on floats indicates that a sharp edge is needed at the step to create the air pocket.
Back in the day.:), They used some kind of rubber glue,,Today I would use " Goo"glue, its a mess to work with (cant be cleaned up)Iwould drill holes in the float where the fuse attached..I would do it with a wooden float so this would not be a issue.....also I would do it as a e-flight..the origonal had a flat bottom wing..i new the guy(Tom Rigensky)that flew the planes for the guys that made them. He flew with a few of us on Bantom lake in Ct.I hated to hear it when it landed,,we called it sounding like a woofel ball bat:)keep me in the loop on your quest,,,

aspeed 03-23-2013 04:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Is this one? It said Gee Bee on the float, but I have no idea what the plane is called any more.

Falcon6667 03-24-2013 04:02 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Not sure how to post

Butcherbird58 03-24-2013 06:23 AM

Thanks aspeed, that is the GeeBee Islander,  wouldn't by any chance have a set of the plans would U?  The top view photo is very helpful   any way I could get you to send a direct side view photo,   I can scale from these knowing the length of the float and recreate,  would be helpful to know where the step is relative to the C.G.  

falcon6667, that looks like a corner of a plans sheet,  I could not enlarge the view clearly,  if you have a set of plans could I get a copy ?

Falcon6667 03-24-2013 06:30 AM

Thanks aspeed, that is the GeeBee Islander, wouldn't by any chance have a set of the plans would U? The top view photo is very helpful any way I could get you to send a direct side view photo, I can scale from these knowing the length of the float and recreate, would be helpful to know where the step is relative to the C.G.

falcon6667, that looks like a corner of a plans sheet, I could not enlarge the view clearly, if you have a set of plans could I get a copy ?
Sadly its all I have, It was e-maled to me yesterday by a buddie from back in the day that rembered the history on the plane,,I think if we keep talking about it one will apear:) Ill att toms note to me...,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Port.
I remember the plane.. It was designed by Don ???? who was from Longmeadow (Springfield) MA.. It was a Gee Bee kit.. Don ??? owned the Gee Bee Products company(I think) It used a blow molded plastic float for the main body.. The plastic was (I think) polypropylene, like used for gallon milk jugs.. They didn't work very well because they didn't have sharp chines.. Jimmy and Ed and I thought they were junk because they worked so poorly.. I think the float was 33 inches long..

Don used to run the float fly event at Brimfield MA.. I think he may have buddied up with Tom Roginski to make the Tom Cat kits that were junk!! I think he had a couple of designs published in one of the model magazines.. (Not the Islander though)

I think I found the same RC Groups ad that you got the pictures from.. The guy (NERO 1156) wanted $125 for the kit last September.. I don't know if he sold it or not.. I did find a phone number for Gee Bee Products, but I am not sure if it's any good, or if Don ??? is still alive!! anyway, its: 413-782-3872

I also found a Gee Bee Products ad in one of my old files.. I'll see if I can make a copy to e-mail to you.. Otherwise I'll snail mail a copy..

i have no idea where you could find a set of plans.. Maybe one of the guys on RC Universe or RC groups might be able to help.. There seemed to be a lot of back and forth posting about the Islander there..

TOM

aspeed 03-24-2013 07:57 AM

Sorry I don't have plans either.  The float is about 32" long without the rudder, wing is 49 1/2" x 9 1/2"  The booms are 13" apart, and the stab is 19 3/4 x 5" with the centre section for the elevator being cut out 2". The pointed part of the step is about 2" behind the LE of the wing.  I thought the plane was a Mallard.  I got it at a swap meet maybe 20 years ago when I had access to a pond but no field.  I picked up 4 seaplanes then, having bad luck with the Herr Aquastars electric and nitro.  Now I can't get on a pond but have a field.  I never tried the Islander yet.  It is kind of tight for the servos and I never finished hooking things up.  It may have been flown, I noticed some tailweight in it.  You never know what has happened with swap meet stuff, always thrilling and/or disappointing it seems.  The wing, rudder and booms are one piece, and the fuse/float and steering rudder are the other piece.  I yahooed it yesterday to see what mine was called and saw one sold on ebay for $81, in kit form.  I couldn't read the specs on the box, it wasn't too clear, but I read in a magazine that is is for a .19 to .25.  I have an old OS .29 Speed on mine. Maybe I can get more pics. a little later.  I think if I was making any more float planes, I would make a foam wing, just because it floats.

aspeed 03-24-2013 12:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)

pics</p>

aspeed 03-24-2013 12:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
pic

aspeed 03-24-2013 12:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I think I would rather have a Seawind or Seamaster rather than this one myself.

PeterC 05-20-2013 07:54 PM

Interesting plane this! I had the Mallard which had a fuselage rather than the twin booms. The plane is only three channel and was powered with a OS 25. Mine flew nicely but because of the Gee Bee floats would not take off unless there was some chop on the water.
I used to get kids to throw stones in front of the plane when the water was calm to create some ripples. The tip floats were humongous, I once heard them refered to as inverted Dixie Cups. I have the plans for the Mallard which is exactly the same except for the twin booms. I kinda liked the twin boom look. It reminds me of an old Sikorsky.
Peter

Butcherbird58 05-21-2013 04:20 AM

Peter,
Would you allow me to copy your plans and return them 2U?

PeterC 05-21-2013 05:35 AM

PM sent.
Peter

PeterC 06-04-2013 02:29 PM

Actually Falcon, you are right about using "Goo". I use automotive goo to stick plastic and fiberglass parts to balsa and it works well.
As far as clean up is concerned just let it dry and then roll it off with your thumb. The original used contact cement to join the fuselage to the hull. A leather strip was then glued to the seam to further seal it. You could try weather strip adhesive as it looks and smells the same as the old contact cement.
Peter

snolord1 07-22-2013 07:16 AM

Someone on regroups has a gee bee Bipe

Steve in VA 09-27-2013 09:57 AM

I have a set of plans for the Islander - I'm happy to lend them for copying.

Falcon6667 09-27-2013 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by Steve in VA (Post 11625754)

I would reaslly like a set of those...what will it take to get them?

Steve in VA 09-27-2013 06:54 PM

I'm new to this forum, so correct me if I'm wrong, but if you pm me an address I'll pop them in the post. Just promise to return them when you've copied them!
I flew mine for many years, I had no trouble getting it off the water, and as I got more experienced I'd have a blast scooting around on the step at high speed. The twin rudders are out of the prop wash so the addition of the water rudder helps a lot in slow speed taxiing (I put the water rudder on the left stick with a micro servo). I flew it with a .29 - more then enough power as a sea plane but only adequate with the wheels on.

Butcherbird58 09-29-2013 04:51 PM

Steve,
Thank You for your offer, i got a set of plans for the Malard, single tail, and I can reverse engineer from the photos sent in the foram, thank U again

Falcon6667 09-30-2013 03:57 AM

did you get my "pm"?

Falcon6667 09-30-2013 10:01 AM

>>>>>OUTSTANDING<<<<<<
I got the plans today....Ill try really hard to get them coppied on thursday. if not then it might be a week or so, we are off to fl. for a week or so. tks. again it was a great suprise to get them today...port..
PS. I new the guy that test flew the gb line back in the 70s...

Steve in VA 10-01-2013 06:43 PM

I'm just sorry I did not see your request earlier. No rush on their return - whenever you have time. You've inspired me to dust off my Islander and try and get it back into the air. Thanks! If you're still in touch with the test pilot please forward my thanks to him/her for a lovely model and for the many hours of enjoyment I've had flying it.