Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Welcome-the not so scale, almost ready to fly, soon to be scrap, Warbird Brotherhood

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Welcome-the not so scale, almost ready to fly, soon to be scrap, Warbird Brotherhood

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2014, 06:18 PM
sparky4lawndart
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Welcome-the not so scale, almost ready to fly, soon to be scrap, Warbird Brotherhood

I wonder how many of you out there, like me, fly it like you stole it... Fix it almost right... Keep pouring money into this hobby where the only redeeming value is the racing pulse, huge sphincter factor, and the hours of CA fumes. You know you're out there...

Those of you still trying to stuff a DA85 in a 75 inch wingspan warbird that only weighs 12lbs... trying to figure out why the nylon geared elevator servo failed on a 125MPH high speed pass 6 feet off the deck... Wondering why the plane flipped over and planted itself at 70MPH because you had enough throw in the elevator to turn it into a speed brake. You've watched your new EDF smoke the ESC because you tried to use a 6S battery on a 4S setup and failed to realize that's the only thing powering your receiver.

Admit it... you want to join!
Old 02-09-2014, 06:20 PM
sparky4lawndart

FlyerInOKC is member #2 and vice president!
Old 02-09-2014, 06:41 PM
Desertlakesflying
My Feedback: (28)

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

I use JR servos so the nylon gears don't strip at 125.......But I use 5 minute Loctite epoxy to build everything....wait that holds up too..OOH OOH and lipo batteries from Hobby King..wait they last longer than the others
...dang...guess you are right...I need to join.....lol
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Stang.jpg
Views:	418
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	1967052  
Old 02-09-2014, 06:43 PM
sparky4lawndart

Welcome, DesertlakesFlying... Member #3!
Old 02-09-2014, 07:30 PM
chris923
My Feedback: (53)

Sign me Up!
Old 02-09-2014, 09:02 PM
sparky4lawndart

Welcome Chris923... you're #4
Old 02-10-2014, 08:46 AM
Luft-Gangster

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Count me in too Frank. Been there done that.
Leroy Meade
Old 02-10-2014, 09:06 AM
sparky4lawndart

Luft-Gangster is #5! Welcome aboard!
Old 02-10-2014, 11:53 AM
sparky4lawndart

So Saturday I go out with my TF GS FW190 after a new wing (traffic groundloop main gear failure) arrived... I line it up and roll on the throttle and watch my plane skid sideways into the fence... rip the wing tip off, crush the cowl, break an $80 carbon Fiber 22X10 Xoar prop... I went home and glued a block of balsa on the tip, shaped and recovered it... I knocked out all the crimps, etc. in the glass cowl. went to the LHS and bought a JR G370a gyro...

I went flying Sunday again (which impressed a lot of guys that saw the damage from the day before) and lined up... hit the autostart on the DLE55RA and rolled out nearly perfectly down the centerline of the runway... a dozen laps later... turn in for the final and watched the rudder keep the spinner over the centerline all the way from 30 feet off the deck on approach through the end of the roll out.

If you've ever had issues on the ground or on approach what a great piece of tech to install in your bird.
Old 02-10-2014, 12:46 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very funny title, well done. appeals to my Aussie sense of humour. While I don't own any Warbird ARFs at present I do have a H9 1/4 Tiggy, taught many a warbird pilot in that bird and I have "thought" of getting some sort of ARF warbird, Corsair mainly, mmmm ESM or H9? Both need a lot of work. H9 seems to have better lines but requires a full strip down, glass, panel line and some rivets. Ugghhh red wine time and radio on full blast for that chore.

Gyros are very handy if you are lazy on the rudder. I put one on my 1/4 scale Cub, easy! Mixed it to a switch so I could turn it off in flight. My old TF P40 I had one slaved to retract channel. Gear up and the gyro gain went to zero. They was a little pig on the ground otherwise.

Anyway I digress. Enjoy your almost scrap while they last!

cheers
me
Old 02-10-2014, 01:25 PM
sparky4lawndart

So Peter_OZ... you want to join, don't you?... are you a master builder or have you admitted you're a ARF basher from down under?
Old 02-10-2014, 02:19 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned
My Feedback: (1)

mate I'm a wannabe master builder with aspirations to bash ARFs constrained by severe lack of the folding stuff!!

Now having said that I do have 2 warbird models in the 96" span to build that are glass fuz and with foam core, balsa sheeted wings and build up tail feathers. All the later is to be constructed and fuz fitted out with all the usual goodies then painted. Once could suggest the word "Almost" may apply!

These words imply a certain intent, such as "reasonable" Define what is reasonable, define what is almost!

Based on my biased assessment I qualify!!
Old 02-10-2014, 04:27 PM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I am AFRAID to join ! hahahah I lost my 50cc Zero on a slow gentle flight last summer do to a single rotten servo screw not having been loctited well enough ! If I was flying with you over motored , full war power guys I wouldn't last a second
I will humbly watch from the pits ! hahahahahah
Old 02-10-2014, 04:35 PM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by sparky4lawndart
I wonder how many of you out there, like me, fly it like you stole it... Fix it almost right... Keep pouring money into this hobby where the only redeeming value is the racing pulse, huge sphincter factor, and the hours of CA fumes. You know you're out there...

Those of you still trying to stuff a DA85 in a 75 inch wingspan warbird that only weighs 12lbs... trying to figure out why the nylon geared elevator servo failed on a 125MPH high speed pass 6 feet off the deck... Wondering why the plane flipped over and planted itself at 70MPH because you had enough throw in the elevator to turn it into a speed brake. You've watched your new EDF smoke the ESC because you tried to use a 6S battery on a 4S setup and failed to realize that's the only thing powering your receiver.

Admit it... you want to join!
Well my Hangar 9 P-51 PTS fits the title but not your intro paragraph. Then again, I'm not into these "brotherhoods". RCUniverse in total is the brotherhood for me.
Old 02-10-2014, 04:45 PM
raptureboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well if mid airing a 1/5 scale pt 17arf coming out of a loop into a like size kit built Se5 creating a sudden shower of balsa on a clear day and making a sound like a redwood falling when they hit count then I'm in. How about ripping the gear out 2 times on a mustang in the same month or this

Name:	pieces of a dream 003.jpg
Views:	890
Size:	301.7 KB
ID:	1967423  
Old 02-10-2014, 04:46 PM
sparky4lawndart

Welcome aboard, Peter_OZ. a bash artist based on your post! I agree with you that the definition of words like "reasonable" can have a very broad meaning... You're member #6 and our newest international representative!
Old 02-10-2014, 04:48 PM
sparky4lawndart

Forgetting the Loctite qualifies you for membership, I think! Welcome aboard, foodstick! You're lucky #7!

Last edited by sparky4lawndart; 02-10-2014 at 05:22 PM.
Old 02-10-2014, 04:59 PM
DHC6
My Feedback: (6)

Figured it's not enough to say I want to join, so here are a few recent stories to see if I qualify for this elite group...

Have a Ziroli 101" B25 ( I didn't build it), #2 throttle servo was acting up on the ground during run ups. Gave a few love taps and it seemed to work fine. Ah F*&#@ it, lets fly.... After a few sphincter tightening circuits I got it back on the ground, #2 engine was surging all over the place, from full throttle to idle... Interesting flight to say the least.

Stuffed Saito 125 into a 60 size aircraft... it's still flying, lots of fun.

Top Flite GS P47 ARF ( my baby ) on initial run ups and engine brake in. Was supposed to just be taxi runs, and engine tuning. Engine was running so well decided to do the maiden... with out checkin it over... "ah F$*&# it, it's running well. hit the throttle and off we go". Ailerons were reversed... Took a few days to repair, but it still lives.

So I'd like to join!

Louis

Last edited by DHC6; 02-10-2014 at 05:03 PM.
Old 02-10-2014, 05:29 PM
sparky4lawndart

DHC6... Welcome aboard! You're #8...

I bought a beautiful Ziroli P-61 twin and after going through the plane for 4 weeks, I went out for taxi tests... The plane was doing exceptionally well when a club mate who will not be named (kinda like Voldemort) kept badgering me about lifting the nose to see how it'll track... After a few "no's" he snuck up behind me and asked me to pull up the nose... the second the nose lifted the plane jumped up and started to wing stall left into the pits... I ran the DA5's up to full power and cleared the pits and the parking lot and flew that big beautiful bird into a tree. I'll post a pic of the before and after soon.

Name:	photo 1.JPG
Views:	562
Size:	101.0 KB
ID:	1967429   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2.JPG
Views:	531
Size:	128.3 KB
ID:	1967430  

Last edited by sparky4lawndart; 02-10-2014 at 05:49 PM.
Old 02-10-2014, 06:05 PM
sparky4lawndart

RGBurrill, It doesn't sound like you want to join and I respect that! This is just for guys to talk about "bash" tips & tricks and, most importantly, the screaming, flaming, dumb thumb failures. Plus I'm afraid that if I made you a member w/o your permission you'd find me one day and punch me in the mouth... the RCU brotherhood is sort of a higher choir of angels or the Polit bureau (pick one). We're brothers anyway!
Old 02-10-2014, 07:46 PM
ton2di
My Feedback: (182)

May I join?

*I installed an OS FS200 in a 60 size TF P-51 just to swing a 4 blade 15.5x12 APC. Great sound and decent speed!

*Got tired of my Kyosho .40 size Stearman so I took the top wing off just because I was curious if it would fly with only one lower wing. It looked much better because it resembled a 30's mono plane. I was successful in flying it whereas other club members where getting ready to take pictures of the pending crash. I was able to fly it for about 2-3wks before the horizontal stab gave in because it was too darn fast with the same Saito .80 engine. (should have reinforced it).

*Still thinking of something...

Last edited by ton2di; 02-10-2014 at 07:49 PM.
Old 02-10-2014, 09:59 PM
sparky4lawndart

Welcome aboard, ton2di. You're #9

I had a Hangar 9 P-47 that I wanted to spin a 4blade prop so I bought a Scorpion 4035-330 with an 8S setup (I think the prop was a 15.75X13 4B APC). 105AMPs @ WOT and the plane was doing better than 130MPH.. It would accelerate going vertical. Immelman into a hi-speed pass and stripped Hitec 5645MG high torque elevator server with flutter... The plane "landed" a quarter mile away at a 45 degree nose in angle... The motor went through the firewall, through the battery (thank God no fire), through the Airtronics rcvr, and ended up in the middle of the plane.

I've been a big believer in overpowering my birds. A lot of guys will say that I've missed the point and should fly at scale speeds but they didn't pay for it so I take those comments with a grain of salt and buy more epoxy! They don't last long as a result but the pucker factor sure compensates for the cost!
Old 02-11-2014, 11:20 AM
yojoelay

Can i join too?

My simple formula for motor selection is to take the largest four stroke recommended size, make it a 2-stroke and add about 20% to that.

I am puttering with a 96" OV-10 Bronco now, it will be electric this time but similarly equipped.

Joel
Old 02-11-2014, 02:22 PM
f16man

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yup count me in ,,,,when in doubt add more engine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-11-2014, 02:27 PM
sparky4lawndart

yojoelay... you're #10! yay!

Excellent motor sizing algorithm... I'm green with envy on your Bronco! good luck and post pics as time permits...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.