Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

"experts"

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

"experts"

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2014, 07:20 AM
JollyPopper
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "experts"

THIS IS NOT A RANT!!!!!!!!!!!! One thing I have noticed over the years, not only on this forum but on every forum I have ever read to any extent, the folks who profess to "know" something do not always agree. One guy can make a simple statement and the very next post will directly contradict that statement. For instance a guy can say something like "an Edge 540 is easy to fly" and the very next post will say something like "an Edge 540 is a real handful to fly". Now, it seems to me that "experts" should agree on any aspect of a particular subject, shouldn't they? Maybe what they should have said is "boy, my experience with an Edge 540 went smooth as glass" and the other guy could say something like "man, my experience with an Edge 540 really sucked". This could be really confusing to a noobie, maybe to the point that they will either drop out of the forum or completely quit the hobby. I don't know what the answer is. Both guys in my example were completely honest with respect to their personal experiences, but those experiences led them to make very conflicting statements. Where is a noobie to go to get really valid advice?

And then, of course, there are those few who lurk in the shadows and jump at every chance they see to be contrary and contradict someone else's observations. We soon learn who those folks are and tend to disregard their responses, even though they may write quite well and seem to be an "expert" on every aspect of every subject.

Maybe this is a rant.
Old 10-22-2014, 07:45 AM
RBACONS
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The fact that 2 people had conflicting experiences does not make either of them invalid. If you get conflicting answers, it usually just means you need to be more specific and/or get additional data points. I'd rather get 2 conflicting answers (and know I'd better do more homework) than be led astray by one "valid" answer that does not really apply because my question was not specific enough to my particular situation. I am sure that in the superset of Edge 540s, there are well designed ones and poorly designed ones as well as ones that have been set up properly by the pilot and those that have not been. Are your 2 responses comparing a foamy electric Edge versus a 33% or 40% Edge? And Edges are likely going to have different perceived flight characteristics depending on whether you set them up and use them for 3D or for more typical IMAC type aerobatics.

To ask "Are Edge 540s easy to fly?" you'll probably get many answers, most conflicting, and never know which answers are really applicable to your situation because your question is far too generalized and your responses will likely be generalized as well.
Old 10-22-2014, 08:51 AM
sensei

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

This subject has potential to become interesting.

Bob
Old 10-22-2014, 09:51 AM
Scar
My Feedback: (3)

Originally Posted by sensei
This subject has potential to become interesting.

Bob

....no, it doesn't

Dave Olson
Old 10-22-2014, 10:22 AM
kiwibob72

Originally Posted by RBACONS
The fact that 2 people had conflicting experiences does not make either of them invalid. If you get conflicting answers, it usually just means you need to be more specific and/or get additional data points. I'd rather get 2 conflicting answers (and know I'd better do more homework) than be led astray by one "valid" answer that does not really apply because my question was not specific enough to my particular situation. I am sure that in the superset of Edge 540s, there are well designed ones and poorly designed ones as well as ones that have been set up properly by the pilot and those that have not been. Are your 2 responses comparing a foamy electric Edge versus a 33% or 40% Edge? And Edges are likely going to have different perceived flight characteristics depending on whether you set them up and use them for 3D or for more typical IMAC type aerobatics.

To ask "Are Edge 540s easy to fly?" you'll probably get many answers, most conflicting, and never know which answers are really applicable to your situation because your question is far too generalized and your responses will likely be generalized as well.
Quite true. Specific questioning can help you get a lot better answers, as the simple fact is that any good 3D capable aerobatic plane (if using this as an example) can be either a easy plane to fly, or a complete monster - it only depends on who and how the thing was set up and built.

If you (the OP) look at this edge 540 as an example, as they have low wing loadings, big horizontal and vertical tail surfaces, they generally track and glide well making them very 'easy to fly'. But, and it's a big BUT, these same planes normally have huge power to weight ratios, and HUGE control surfaces with massive angles of deflection being possible, that if not set up correctly, or within the specific pilots 'ability' range, can indeed make them an over responsive monster that can easily overwhelm an under skilled pilot in seconds.
It's for those reasons that both opposing sides in the example you gave are both actually correct in their views - it can indeed be a great and very easy plane to fly (if set up correctly for that given pilot), or an utter nightmare for someone who has set that same plane up incorrectly for them-self and their abilities.

As others have stated, you just need to ask the 'right' questions of people, and then try and take their specific situation and reply into account with some form of self-educated pre-thought to get the best answer for you (personally I'll often take a wide range of answers into account and take an average of them to get the most reliable answer - IMO it removes the 'personal' responses and gives me a better and more factual answer instead).

PS - it was a rant.
Old 10-22-2014, 10:46 AM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

Great topic, As for myself I love to help others. The way I look at it, every success is another nail in the foundation of our hobby. There were a few key individuals that saw enough in me when I got started to help me when I needed it. I like to give some of that back. Bob and I I think are in the same boat. We have been flying and building at a high lever for many years and have a great amount of experience to share and are happy to do so.Now comes the issues. Human nature is to accept the answer one WANTS to hear. When the answer is contrary to what someone wants to hear that person will search until he gets the answer he was looking for. It matters not that he was given the correct answer from the get go.The other issue is when that happens, in the past I would try to defend my answer by explaining where I gained the experience that supports my advise. That typically leads to me being called self promoting and a blow hard. For those who know me, that could not be farther from the truth but that's the label that gets applied. The end result is that when I see a topic where I think I can be of some help, I do so. If someone comes in and does his best to dis-credit me, I leave the thread. This has lead me to not offer help as much as I used to.
Old 10-22-2014, 10:56 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

Something to keep in mind. You guys are talking about subjective opinions, which are likely to vary.

I also see a lot of advice on here tagged as "wrong" when in fact its just another way to accomplish something that can be done safely a number of ways.
Old 10-22-2014, 11:01 AM
speedracerntrixie

Andy, you are of course correct and in fact bring up a good point. Sometimes it's not what is said but the way it was presented. However, you and I have both been told we are dead wrong about something we have been doing successfully for years. I hate to say it but at times RCU seems like high school drama at times. As a father of 4 teenagers I hear about that type of drama all the time LOL.
Old 10-22-2014, 11:27 AM
sensei

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Scar
This subject has potential to become interesting.....no, it doesn't

Dave Olson
LOL The first contradiction...
Old 10-22-2014, 11:27 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

Global warming. No I'm not trying to change the subject or make it political. I'm using that this subject as an example of where two completely opposite views are adamantly given on a scientific principle. Also, string theory.
And you had to know it was coming - downwind turn.
Old 10-22-2014, 11:36 AM
speedracerntrixie

Originally Posted by rgburrill
Global warming. No I'm not trying to change the subject or make it political. I'm using that this subject as an example of where two completely opposite views are adamantly given on a scientific principle. Also, string theory.And you had to know it was coming - downwind turn.
As long as we don't mention cross wind we will be fine.
Old 10-22-2014, 12:19 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

Or 2 stroke oil.......
Old 10-22-2014, 12:26 PM
Pylonracr

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Or radio brands
Old 10-22-2014, 01:45 PM
lopflyers
My Feedback: (12)

Or electric vs glow
Old 10-22-2014, 02:10 PM
speedracerntrixie

Originally Posted by lopflyers
Or electric vs glow
Gas is the only way to go! LOL
Old 10-22-2014, 02:25 PM
CRI CRI
My Feedback: (51)

This is very simple. Two people, experts included can have varying answers to a question and both can be right. Both could even say the same thing but with different words and the perception of their answers could be constrewed by others as different. Now the fact remains that unless your question is 100% without a doubt proven to have only one answer than people will always have their own opinions. Take two Professors of any college subject. They can debat all year over a question in their field and have two completely different takes on that subject even though it is written only one way in their subject books. PERCEPTION and OPINION !!!!!!!!
Old 10-22-2014, 03:49 PM
PLANE JIM
My Feedback: (109)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

or HOBBYKING
Old 10-22-2014, 04:00 PM
JollyPopper

I realize that what most of you guys are saying is true, that differing opinions on most subjects exist. I probably didn't clarify very well that I was primarily concerned with how this might impact on some noobies. What actually brought this to mind is that in a thread just prior to mine, someone was asking about the flying characteristics of Cubs. One guy said they fly well and the very next post said no, they don't. How does that affect a noobie who is honestly wondering whether or not to buy a cub and he comes here to ask those who "know"?
Old 10-22-2014, 04:03 PM
[email protected]
My Feedback: (1)

buy what u like and then you will know
Old 10-22-2014, 04:21 PM
BullardRM
My Feedback: (39)

The definition of an "Expert" -----a drip under pressure.
Old 10-22-2014, 04:23 PM
JollyPopper

But what if you're new to the hobby and don't have enough experience to know what you like and what you don't like so you come here to ask the folks who do know? And you get diametrically opposed answers to a simple question?
Old 10-22-2014, 04:32 PM
speedracerntrixie

Originally Posted by JollyPopper
But what if you're new to the hobby and don't have enough experience to know what you like and what you don't like so you come here to ask the folks who do know? And you get diametrically opposed answers to a simple question?
This is where I think the hobby could do a better job. It used to be a beginner would make two stops. The local club and the local hobby shop. Either had people that could direct the student in the right direction. Now that WE THE HOBBIESTS have pushed for cheap products one resource for the beginner is all but gone. Replaced by the Internet with people willing to give their opinions without any accountability. It's no wonder our hobby is dying. As for the Cub, yes they are easy to fly however ground manners are not suitable for a beginner.
Old 10-22-2014, 04:34 PM
speedracerntrixie

Originally Posted by BullardRM
The definition of an "Expert" -----a drip under pressure.
And this is why I do more reading then contributing on RCU these days.
Old 10-22-2014, 04:54 PM
[email protected]
My Feedback: (1)

just buy what you want then go from there
Old 10-22-2014, 06:58 PM
BobbyMcGee

So, let's start at the beginning. What makes someone an expert? The fact that they have done all the mistakes first?

And don't mention gravity either!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.