Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Glider models for a P70

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Glider models for a P70

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2014, 08:50 PM
Chris Nicastro
My Feedback: (3)

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Question Glider models for a P70

Just wondering if you guys who have built and flown turbine gliders may have some info on models that would be a good match for a JC P70.

Thanks
Old 10-24-2014, 11:24 PM
Springbok Flyer

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Hi Chris,

I have asked pretty much the same question a few weeks ago and the majority of suggestions have been the eFlight Blanik and the Fox. From what I can tell the experts believe a 1:2.5 power to weight is good for easy flying and gentle aeros, with a 1:2 for more serious flying. In the end everyone seem to be doing their own thing and making their own turbine mounts to fit on the glider of their choice.

Good luck, I will be keeping a keen eye on the responses you get.

Cheers,

Jan
Old 10-24-2014, 11:34 PM
Chris Nicastro

Thanks Jan,

Me too, I have a spare engine and thought it would interesting to fly a performance glider with it. I like the Ventus and Discuss and the Salto is ok as scale models. I haven't found a V tail candidate yet in a sport glider.
Ive been looking for more videos and haven't found very many.

There is a Blanik for sale currently I noticed but its just not my style.
Old 10-25-2014, 12:49 AM
Springbok Flyer

Chris,

Sounds to me like we are both looking for the same thing.....

Jan
Old 10-25-2014, 10:09 AM
cbooth1979
My Feedback: (22)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would say you would want a glider in the 4.5m range for a P-70 if you wanted to do aerobatics. Check out SoaringUSA, they have a 4.4m Valenta Fox and its a real nice all composite kit. Also Esprit Models has a few options too. Alot of there stuff is monokote wings though. Depends on what you want to spend and how long you want to wait to get it. There are many options for a P-70 though. Cheif Aircraft has a 4.6m Swift S-1 that is a beautiful kit and high quality but its $4600.00, made by Krill Models. I had an Airworld 4m Fox with a P-60 and it was a good match, plenty of power for anything I wanted to do.
Old 10-25-2014, 10:18 AM
Ali
My Feedback: (5)

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I have played with a bunch of turbine gliders over the years. For me the Eflite Blanik is just about the best value for money out there. Acro, glides well, strong enough, not too heavy and easy to convert. Fixed gear, high wing, big control surfaces… The boxes keep getting ticked !
It will be ballistic with a 70 size turbine and have enough space for plenty of fuel.
Regards Al
Old 10-25-2014, 12:33 PM
Springbok Flyer

Originally Posted by Ali
I have played with a bunch of turbine gliders over the years. For me the Eflite Blanik is just about the best value for money out there. Acro, glides well, strong enough, not too heavy and easy to convert. Fixed gear, high wing, big control surfaces… The boxes keep getting ticked !
It will be ballistic with a 70 size turbine and have enough space for plenty of fuel.
Regards Al
......but it's so ugly.....
Old 10-25-2014, 07:01 PM
Chris Nicastro

LMAO! Agreed!
Maybe the Red Bull graphics sweeten it up but we call that lipstick on a pig!
Old 10-25-2014, 07:05 PM
Chris Nicastro

Originally Posted by cbooth1979
I would say you would want a glider in the 4.5m range for a P-70 if you wanted to do aerobatics. Check out SoaringUSA, they have a 4.4m Valenta Fox and its a real nice all composite kit. Also Esprit Models has a few options too. Alot of there stuff is monokote wings though. Depends on what you want to spend and how long you want to wait to get it. There are many options for a P-70 though. Cheif Aircraft has a 4.6m Swift S-1 that is a beautiful kit and high quality but its $4600.00, made by Krill Models. I had an Airworld 4m Fox with a P-60 and it was a good match, plenty of power for anything I wanted to do.
I was looking on Esprit last night and your right, some pretty pricy gliders. I'll take a look on Soaring and Chief too.
Old 10-25-2014, 07:07 PM
Chris Nicastro

Originally Posted by Ali
Regards Al
Hey Al did you ever find that P20 that departed from your glider?!
Old 10-25-2014, 09:22 PM
Ali

It was not a P-20 it was a hand made turbine with far more power than a P-20 and no. It is somewhere out in a pete bog in southern Ireland still. I actually quite like the looks of the Blanik. I like the swept forward wing and the classic/ retro lines. But thats personal preference I guess, and I can understand those that don't like it. Sales might suggest they are the minority however.
Just be careful which glider you end up with. I have seen some epic fails when converting to turbine. It's easy to end up with a glider that is just not strong enough for the extra loads that converting a glider will induce. I have also seen a few examples where people have ended up with gliders that are too orientated toward the soaring aspect and not the acro type of flying. Which when flown by someone who is not the most experienced glider pilot and who tries to fly it more like a jet, can end badly !
Regards Al
Old 10-25-2014, 11:38 PM
Springbok Flyer

Hi Ali,

What glider was the green and white one that you flew at Wings and Wheels in 2012? It looked like a P-60 or P-70 on that and it must have been around 5 meter span.

Cheers,

Jan
Old 10-26-2014, 12:05 AM
Ali

Now you are talking about the very best of the glider world. It was a SZD 54 Perkoz. It comes from a company called Paritech and in my eyes they are the best supplier for what you are looking for. They make supreme gliders and jets. Super strong, beautifully moulded and they offer such things as turbine mounts and fuel tanks for those wanting to convert to turbine power. Be expecting to pay for the privilege, but owning a Paritech machine really is just that.
Regards Al
Old 10-26-2014, 10:12 AM
Chris Nicastro

Here is the link to Paritech.
http://www.paritech.de

Looking at their catalog there are a few that could be candidates for turbine conversion but Im noticing how tight it gets inside with a retractable wheel.
I like the DG 600 and similar, models like the ASH/ASW, but the DG 1000 two seater would be, possibly, better for space to install everything.
Take a look at the prices by choosing the model from the list, opens the model page, choose price, opens the page with a choice of language, choose English and all the prices associated with the model show up.
Theres a PDF catalog too.

The 4.5-5.5M kits are around $1000 so not too bad considering full composite airframes.

Nice gliders Al thanks for the tip.
Old 10-26-2014, 11:41 AM
jwren00

Originally Posted by Chris Nicastro
Here is the link to Paritech.
http://www.paritech.de

Looking at their catalog there are a few that could be candidates for turbine conversion but Im noticing how tight it gets inside with a retractable wheel.
I like the DG 600 and similar, models like the ASH/ASW, but the DG 1000 two seater would be, possibly, better for space to install everything.
Take a look at the prices by choosing the model from the list, opens the model page, choose price, opens the page with a choice of language, choose English and all the prices associated with the model show up.
Theres a PDF catalog too.

The 4.5-5.5M kits are around $1000 so not too bad considering full composite airframes.

Nice gliders Al thanks for the tip.
Paritech sailplanes are beautiful and so well built but they cost a fortune to get to the US.
Old 10-26-2014, 12:17 PM
cbooth1979

Are you sure about the prices? Im thinking something is wrong as Paritech is top notch quality and comes with a price tag. Double check because im thinking that size air frame would be more in the 3-4 thousand range for sure. Maybe more?
Old 10-26-2014, 12:25 PM
cbooth1979

Airworld also gives you a lot of bang for the buck. I got a quote for a 5m Swift and it was $3200.00 shipped to the US. A lot of the cost is shipping which was almost $700.
Old 10-26-2014, 08:01 PM
Chris Nicastro

Thats what I read on the price page per model on the site. Maybe the site is out of date I dont know. There are accessories of course that cost more like retractable gear and cockpits but the base kit prices I saw were around a thousand for the DG600.
I'll look again later.
Old 10-27-2014, 07:38 AM
Helijet

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Hey Chris

I'll let you fly the CARF DG 800S with the 100 when Chris R. completes it!
That should get the adrenaline pumping!

Cheers
Dean W
Old 10-27-2014, 09:39 AM
Edgar Perez
My Feedback: (13)

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

One candidate for turbine, at lower pricing is the Valenta Fox ( http://www.soaringusa.com/Fox-4.4.html )
Old 10-27-2014, 02:24 PM
Springbok Flyer

Edgar,

Yes I think that is my choice. Just waiting for Bob to work out how he can get it to me at a reasonable cost. Does anyone have any input regarding suitable fuel tanks, thrust angle for the turbine etc.

Cheers,

Jan
Old 10-27-2014, 02:34 PM
theosoarus

Originally Posted by Springbok Flyer
Edgar,

Yes I think that is my choice. Just waiting for Bob to work out how he can get it to me at a reasonable cost. Does anyone have any input regarding suitable fuel tanks, thrust angle for the turbine etc.

Cheers,

Jan

Hi Jan..
I have a Valenta Fox kit sitting in my garage... I was going to mount a P60se on it but I have sold the motor, so Im happy to sell the kit if you are interested..
I still have the box
cheers
Theo A
Melb
Old 10-27-2014, 06:39 PM
Chris Nicastro

Originally Posted by Helijet
Hey Chris

I'll let you fly the CARF DG 800S with the 100 when Chris R. completes it!
That should get the adrenaline pumping!

Cheers
Dean W
Sweet! I will take you up on that offer!

Thats a huge glider at 6M so my P70 wouldnt be enough power. If they make a smaller one or another company that would be better for me.

lol, get in line! My Eurofighter has to be done first!

Last edited by Chris Nicastro; 10-27-2014 at 07:31 PM.
Old 12-17-2015, 07:15 PM
erwin peters

Hello, any new model for this turbine range??

regards

Erwin