Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

A Question on the Sig 1/4 Scale Cub Wing

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

A Question on the Sig 1/4 Scale Cub Wing

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2014, 03:57 AM
TCraft Lover
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A Question on the Sig 1/4 Scale Cub Wing

I will be starting a build on a Sig 1/4 scale cub after Thanksgiving. I would prefer to build the clipped wing version but the finished wing is too long for me to transport. 86 inches I believe. So now for the question: Can the 2 piece wing on the Sig full size kit be simply built shorter to produce the clipped wing version I desire? Comments / info appreciated.
Best wishes to all as we enter the holiday season this week.
Old 11-23-2014, 04:24 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I see no reason that you could not just leave off the outer few inches. You may have to relocate the attachment points and length of the struts to make it to conform more for scale but I am not that familiar with aspect of the kit. I'm sure someone will comment on having done this in this forum very shortly with more factual comments.
Old 11-23-2014, 05:45 AM
cubcrasher
My Feedback: (6)

Tcraft, I have built them both. I don't see any reason that you couldn't do that. I have a long wing
kit on the shelf that I am going to clip the wings on next time.The center sections are a little different
due to the fact that the wing is in 2 pieces. If memory serves me correct there are a couple different ribs,
maby one light ply or something. I don't really remember. I have an extea set of clipped-wing plans if you
need them. This can be done. PM me an address if you want them.
Old 11-23-2014, 05:47 AM
cubcrasher

Another thing you could do is to make the clipped wing two piece.
Old 11-23-2014, 05:56 AM
TCraft Lover

Thanks Cub Crasher! Yes my goal is to achieve a 2 pc. clipped wing for easier transportation rather than the one piece clipped wing.
Old 11-23-2014, 06:05 AM
cubcrasher

That shouldn't be too hard. Just a little pre planning. There are a couple
threads on here showing how. They might give you an idea. I like to check em
out and make a few changes to suit my needs. A lot of different ways to
skin that cat.
Old 11-23-2014, 06:30 AM
WacoNut

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

On the full scale Clipped Wing Cub the wings were shortened 1-1/2 bays on the inboard end of the panels closest to the fuselage.

This should be easy to do with the existing plans just cut the wing panel plans and overlap the correct amount shortening the wings between the fuse and the ailerons.

I built the stock 1/4 Clipped Wing Cub and the one piece wing was a PITA. I am now flying a 1/3 J-3 and wish I would have shortened the wings on it as well.
Old 11-23-2014, 09:32 AM
TCraft Lover

I'd really like to be able to access the servo/battery area from the top of the fuse. The 2 pc. full size wing must be totally enclosed over this area.
Old 11-23-2014, 10:13 AM
cubcrasher

You could make a 3 piece wing where the center section was removeable. It doesn't have to be part
of the fuselage.
Old 11-23-2014, 10:21 AM
spaceworm

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TCraft Lover
I will be starting a build on a Sig 1/4 scale cub after Thanksgiving. I would prefer to build the clipped wing version but the finished wing is too long for me to transport. 86 inches I believe. So now for the question: Can the 2 piece wing on the Sig full size kit be simply built shorter to produce the clipped wing version I desire? Comments / info appreciated.
Best wishes to all as we enter the holiday season this week.
I am not the most informed, but the FS clipped wing is shortened at the root, so some re-engineering will be required. The struts will also need to repositioned and shortened. I am sure others will chime in also. I have the full wing Sig 1/4 Cub and have thought about building a clipped wing, so I am interested in what you do. Good luck.
Sincerely, Richard
Cub Brotherhood #187; Sig 1/4 Cub, H9 100 inch (Gen 1) Cub, GB Anniv Cub
Club Saito #635; Saito 56, 100, 120abc, 130T, 180
Kadet Brotherhood #96; Mk l/II Kadet, Kadet Junior,
Sig Kougar, Sig 1/4 Spacewalker II
Old 11-23-2014, 10:37 AM
spaceworm

Originally Posted by cubcrasher
You could make a 3 piece wing where the center section was removeable. It doesn't have to be part
of the fuselage.
My Gen 1 H9 100 inch J3 has a 2 piece wing with a fixed center section. The cockpit is accessed through an access "window" in the center of the wing. The wing halves are fastened to the wing center section through this access, as are all the electronics and servos. This H9 Cub used aluminum rectangular wing joiners, vice the round tubes now used by them. My Sig Cub uses plywood joiners, similar to the aluminum H9s. One of many approaches. Again, good luck.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-10-15 10.52.28-1.jpg
Views:	1024
Size:	596.1 KB
ID:	2049574  
Old 11-23-2014, 12:44 PM
TCraft Lover

Thanks to all for your creative suggestions. I will be stopping at the Sig plant in Montezuma, Ia. on Tues. to make my purchase. I'm looking forward to that. At this point I'm leaning toward purchasing the long wing and clipping it then dealing with fuselage accessibility. Thanx again and have a good holiday. Dave
Old 11-23-2014, 01:28 PM
cubcrasher

Ah yes the Sig plant. We went there on vacation around Laybor Day. I took the factory
tour and loved it. You could bounce the idea off Mike Gretz while you're there. He
designed the 1/4 Clipped-Wing.
Old 11-23-2014, 01:37 PM
TCraft Lover

Now there's a thought!
Originally Posted by cubcrasher
Ah yes the Sig plant. We went there on vacation around Laybor Day. I took the factory
tour and loved it. You could bounce the idea off Mike Gretz while you're there. He
designed the 1/4 Clipped-Wing.
Old 11-23-2014, 10:24 PM
Larry882

Ok TCraft Lover,
I have an old Sig 1/4 scale Cub. Mine was built according to the plans with one of the wings longer than the other and when you join the wings the center section is part of the long wing. In a perfect world this is a beautiful thing. Unfortunatly we don't live in a perfect world.
I used a NIB OS 120 TWIN on mine and had a terrible time with that wing setup. I would get the motor running fine on the ground and it would Flame Out right after takeoff. If I had enough altitude I could make a dead stick landing on the field but if I landed in the weeds the airplane would stop dead and nose over. When it nosed over the wing would keep moving and break the dihedral brace.
All the newly designed airplanes such as this are using a 2 piece wing with a 3/4 " or 1" wing tube. The tubes are either carbon fiber or aluminum. I have used a 1" aluminum tube that you can get from Ace Hardware, Lowes, or Home Depot.
Build 2 wings the same length and drill holes in the ribs accounting for the dihedral angle for the wing tube to pass threw. Spaceworms Cub is the much better setup. He used rectangular stock to do it instead of a wing tube.
I eventually got my Cub to fly good after I got the motor broke in. I had to make a muffler on the Starboard Exhaust pipe so I could get some pressure to help push fuel to the motor. It is a sweet flying airplane with a 16-6 prop. Couple your ailerons and rudder for your test flight. Mine doesn't like to turn with only ailerons.
Larry
Old 11-24-2014, 02:44 AM
TCraft Lover

Hi Larry,
Interesting info about your Cub and glad to hear you got it debugged and flying. Is your cub the clipped wing or long wing version?
Old 11-24-2014, 05:29 AM
Larry882

I have 2 of them. the one that I had all the problems with is the full wing version. The other 1 is a clipped wing and I have never finished it. I kind of lost intrest in it for now.
Old 11-24-2014, 09:42 AM
do335a

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

The wings on the clipped wing and the full span wing are quite a bit different, especially in the center section area.

First thing to realize is that to clip the wing, you take 2 1/2 rib bays out from the root NOT the tip. That's the way the full size plane is clipped as well. Much easier than doing it at the tip. Sig also clips the 1/5 and the 1/6 Cubs at the root. It's easier for you to build it that way as well.

You also need to change your wing struts and attachment fittings and the jury struts.

As for making the wing two piece, the full span Sig wing is built with the center section attached to the left panel. The right panel bolts onto that and then the entire wing is bolted to the fuselage.

That still leaves one major discrepancy from the scale. The fuselage top where it becomes the cabin and joins the wings is nowhere even close to realistic. Look at the top spine. Joins in the wrong place. Upper fuselage profile is incorrect.

However, anything can be corrected. You'd need to build a proper cabin structure. You can then attach each individual wing panel to that - be they clipped or full span While, you are at it, you can easily make an operating door and window.

For ideas on how to do that while maintaining fuselage/cabin integrity, check out this RCU link on doing just those things and also converting the plane to a sort of PA-18:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/kit-...cub-build.html

Also, Look up Cubman for tons of ideas with the Cub. He started the Cub brotherhood list on RCU.

I would also strongly recommend that you go to Sig's website where you can download the construction manuals for both the full span and clipped wing versions for free. Get those, study the photographs and steps in each. You'll soon figure out the differences and what you need to do. Then when you go to Sig, you'll already have done your homework.

When I built mine - clipped wing, of course - I made it one piece as strong as I could and left the fuselage discrepancy alone, since I'd planned on wringing it out brutally. I succeeded and it survived. It's demise was due to radio failure.

All the best with your project.
Old 11-24-2014, 09:55 AM
MX240
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have built two full span (one for a friend) and one clipped wing that I still have after thirty years painted with K&B epoxy blue and white with OS160 Twin....anyways......
The full span Cubs were built to plans but, because the way the "box" and plywood joiner "fit" they both become one piece wings with the help of Elmer's.
Not what you want to hear....but check that area out while building her. A really sloppy fit there. Can be made better.
Old 11-24-2014, 10:37 AM
TCraft Lover

Thanx for the input MX240. At this point it's tough to imagine the build difference, and why there should be any, between the two wing sizes. Right now I'm thinking of a center section attached to one wing 1/2 and some type of brace / joiner interlock and a bolt together system of sorts. Probably change my mind when I actually see the plans.
Have a good turkey day!
Old 11-24-2014, 01:22 PM
spaceworm

Originally Posted by TCraft Lover
Thanx for the input MX240. At this point it's tough to imagine the build difference, and why there should be any, between the two wing sizes. Right now I'm thinking of a center section attached to one wing 1/2 and some type of brace / joiner interlock and a bolt together system of sorts. Probably change my mind when I actually see the plans.
Have a good turkey day!
Go here for the clipped wing build manual: http://www.sigmfg.com/IndexText/SIGRC47.html

I am sure there is a similar manual for the full span 1/4 scale wing by SIG in the Full span 1/4 scale kit manual.

Sincerely, Richard
Cub Brotherhood #187; Sig 1/4 Cub, H9 100 inch (Gen 1) Cub, GB Anniv Cub
Club Saito #635; Saito 56, 100, 120abc, 130T, 180
Kadet Brotherhood #96; Mk l/II Kadet, Kadet Junior,
Sig Kougar, Sig 1/4 Spacewalker II