Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Good servos for servo recoil and elevation

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Good servos for servo recoil and elevation

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2014, 11:57 AM
Martellus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Good servos for servo recoil and elevation

What are some good servos for setting up a servo recoil/elevation in a old WSN t-34 turret? Not familiar with servo purchasing.

Thanks
Old 11-25-2014, 01:20 PM
dgsselkirk

Received 42 Likes on 19 Posts

A buddy built mine using HS-81's in my 2 T-34's for the gun recoil but kept the original elevation system.. Hobby King has them pretty reasonable and you can check e-bay too. Designed right and with a smooth run out you can get away with the plastic gears no problem...
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...g_0_11sec.html
Old 11-25-2014, 01:21 PM
dgsselkirk

Received 42 Likes on 19 Posts

Oh, and running Clark Boards with them...
Old 11-25-2014, 01:50 PM
ausf

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used the basic Futabas on mine (2003s I believe). Bulletproof and relatively inexpensive. I use the larger ones in most stuff unless size is a concern, I go with micro.

If it's a 76 turret, there's little room for anything larger than a micro.

Since we're not talking about crashing or personal injury if the servo fails, there's no need to go too expensive, there are plenty of cheap options from HK and elsewhere. I have piles of knock offs that I've pulled from planes after they've expired. My benchmark is if the installation is a one way trip, I go with a reliable option, if it's easily removed after construction or for something simple like MG movement, anything from the spares drawer will do.
Old 11-25-2014, 02:10 PM
Captain Nemo12

I used a mini TowerPro servo from Ebay in my T-34 build:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-t...l#post11471399
Old 11-25-2014, 08:05 PM
Martellus

Thanks for the advice everyone. Its the 85mm turret, I think I will use a micro and figure out a recoil setup and then a larger for elevation.

I should really start getting familiar with styrene
Old 11-25-2014, 08:21 PM
Airbrushler

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

micros work good i have two for my SG-122

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0c_8u7iShk&list=UUvY3l1hrEi1n_klqmj5vA_A
Old 11-25-2014, 08:37 PM
Martellus

I am just worried about using the micro for elevation on mine, got a heavier metal barrel

gonna need to think up a good way to mount a recoil setup, the back of its much larger than the original barrel
Old 11-25-2014, 08:39 PM
FreakyDude

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am going to start an arguement here but hey what the heck. This is my own personal opinion
inexpensive ( talking about non branded china made stuff ) servos are a waste of money unless you have a very short barrel tank. Shorter barrel = less stress, less weight on the servo. KV-1 type barrels are ok for these.
Any other tank I suggest you get the best metal gear servo your budget will allow, servos are cheap in general anyway with a cost of less than 30 bucks for a good one.
Why? well it takes time to place that servo inside your turret, it takes effort to replace a broken servo. Plastic gear servos can strip if there is too much pressure put on them and sometimes just the weight of the barrel after many firings is enough to do this but usually it is because you drove through some grass, turned the turret and hit a building etc. I keep driving the long King Tiger barrel of my tank into things and ruining servos. That is until I used a high quality metal gear servo, ever since no repairs.
Things happen driving around and in the heat of battle. nothing will stand up to a metal gear servo.
Spending an extra 10 bucks here can save much time and maintenance later.
Do some investigative work before you buy, every plastic gear low cost servo has a stronger more reliable metal gear servo available in its family for just a little bit extra. It is well worth the investment.
Old 11-26-2014, 09:04 AM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

For elevation I use gear retract servos. Strong, and slow they allow for fine movement.

Freaky has a point. It takes a lot of effort sometimes to get a servo recoil in place, and when it fails it is a lot of work to get at it to replace it. Might be an idea to invest in a quality servo with metal gears for recoil. Run that barrel headlong into an unmovable object and the weakest like could break. On a low cost servo it migh be the tiny nylon gears.

Having said that I use cheap servos with tiny nylon gears for recoil, and have only had a couple of issues.

Last edited by YHR; 11-26-2014 at 09:06 AM.
Old 11-26-2014, 11:20 AM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

A very good source for servos is Servo city. They have a great website and good prices. Lots of odd robotic items as well which might be useful to some of you guys.