Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

New Intairco Super Trap

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

New Intairco Super Trap

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2014, 12:23 AM
Dave Wilshere

Received 733 Likes on 529 Posts
Default New Intairco Super Trap

Another option on hopper tanks that has a few nice features. Shown with two feed inputs for twin tanks. Can be supplied with Barb or Festo connections. Clear housing is a good idea with this type of tank, you can see what is going on.
Mounting frame is an option.

[email protected] if you want more info.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Int Super Trap.jpg
Views:	1618
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	2050419  
Old 11-27-2014, 06:34 AM
sc0tt
My Feedback: (61)

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I like that the filter portion can be removed for maintenance or replacement. Also, it appears the fill fitting has a tube going to the bottom of the hopper like JMP does - I like this because it cuts down on foaming if filling too fast and makes defuel easier.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tuff_Trap_Barb_Standard_Flow_Maintenance__68003_zoom.jpg
Views:	1695
Size:	108.7 KB
ID:	2050454   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tuff_Trap_Barb_Standard_Flow_with_mount_placement__96696_zoom.jpg
Views:	1381
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	2050459   Click image for larger version

Name:	IAC-744__81575_zoom.jpg
Views:	1569
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	2050460   Click image for larger version

Name:	IAC-734__45093_zoom.jpg
Views:	1257
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	2050461   Click image for larger version

Name:	Filter__54803_std.jpg
Views:	1212
Size:	8.2 KB
ID:	2050462  

Last edited by sc0tt; 11-27-2014 at 06:37 AM.
Old 11-27-2014, 06:52 AM
RobinLeblond

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow ! How much ? When ? Where ? ;-)
Old 11-27-2014, 07:35 AM
rcpete347
My Feedback: (251)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HI, I'm not crazy about the small filter area, PST also has this type of filter, but they have a bag, pre filter around the main filter. I used them up to 30 lb. turbines, as they started to calvatate on a draw test.
Rcpete
Old 11-27-2014, 09:13 AM
Justflying1

http://www.intairco.net/categories.p...ing-Soon%21%21
Old 11-27-2014, 10:34 AM
FenderBean

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts

That is one cool air trap, just a bummer you guys are overseas its hard to order due to shipping cost. I put a big order in a couple years ago for three robbe battery backers and everything i need to equip three jets. So maybe my next big order i can throw this in.
Old 11-27-2014, 10:40 AM
Justflying1

Originally Posted by rcpete347
HI, I'm not crazy about the small filter area, PST also has this type of filter, but they have a bag, pre filter around the main filter. I used them up to 30 lb. turbines, as they started to calvatate on a draw test.
Rcpete
Intairco uses high flow fittings. These tanks are specially designed for the larger turbines 200, 300 etc etc. You cannot compare these to the bag system air traps. Not only can these be used for larger and small turbines but they can also be emptied and filled again with no problems. I'm not a sales person for Intairco either just a happy customer.
For more detail advise contact Intairco and he will happily answer all your technical advise like he has done for others and myself in the past.
Old 11-27-2014, 10:49 AM
Justflying1

Originally Posted by FenderBean
That is one cool air trap, just a bummer you guys are overseas its hard to order due to shipping cost. I put a big order in a couple years ago for three robbe battery backers and everything i need to equip three jets. So maybe my next big order i can throw this in.
http://www.intairco.net/?fullSite=1
You will see that for the first 30 customers Intairco is offering a very good deal.
You will be surprised that shipping costs is relatively cheap compared to other countries.
Prices are also in Australian dollars so will be cheaper again especially for American customers.
Does not hurt to send an email with your enquiries to Intairco.
Old 11-27-2014, 05:18 PM
Aussie Bart

Keith
As Ivan has pointed out, these things are great. Also don't forget the pricing you see on the Intairco web site include our local 10% goods tax so in reality with the flat world wide shipping fee of AUD $10 and a Barb version costing AUD $ 95.50 you would have one of these at your for around US $ 90.00.

The other thing is that Dreamworks stocks allot of the Intairco product so maybe check with Todd as to his availability. Knowing how Peter at Intairco works I would be surprised if Todd's price would be much different to Intairco.
Old 11-27-2014, 06:31 PM
Aussie Bart

Originally Posted by rcpete347
Rcpete
Pete
I checked with Intairco and these filters are 12 mm diameter and have a surface area of 1036 mm2 or 1.63 inch2 in local speak....This is the same area as a 36 mm (1.4") hole.

Again as Ivan pointed out so well, these have been designed specifically for the mid to large turbines in mind right up to 400s thanks to the dual M7 inlets. There will be a smaller brother out in the not too distant future and although it will flow just as well, it is meant fro smaller foot print.
Old 11-27-2014, 08:36 PM
Jeremy_D

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've pre ordered mine! These look great
Old 11-27-2014, 08:49 PM
Aussie Bart

Originally Posted by Jeremy_D
I've pre ordered mine! These look great
I will be lucky if there are any left for me

Did you see the photos of that little JL T45 hawk you sold me Jezza? Gotta stick a super trap in that one only cause it matches the paint
Old 11-28-2014, 03:17 AM
Jeremy_D

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah I've been following the photos on FB, it looks great!
Old 11-28-2014, 05:29 AM
scoeroo
My Feedback: (9)

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Some mates and i recently placed an order for retract wheels & tyers and by going direct we saved a few hundred dollars - postage is minimal
Old 11-28-2014, 10:01 AM
FenderBean

Well then i guess i will go check out the site see if I may need some stuff
Old 03-14-2016, 03:13 PM
Westwindpilot86

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey guys, Where is everyone getting the barbs for this air trap? I did not know it did not come with any. Thanks

Steven
Old 03-14-2016, 03:19 PM
Aussie Bart

Originally Posted by Westwindpilot86
Hey guys, Where is everyone getting the barbs for this air trap? I did not know it did not come with any. Thanks

Steven
Steven

Did you buy direct from Intairco or locally. The Intairco site normally allows for various fittings options,

Bart
Old 03-14-2016, 03:25 PM
Westwindpilot86

I bougot it locally from chief aircraft. They don't say anything about it not coming with barbs. And from I saw they only sell 7mm festo fittings. I try to avoid using festo fittings whenever I can.
Old 03-14-2016, 03:36 PM
FenderBean

Originally Posted by Westwindpilot86
I bougot it locally from chief aircraft. They don't say anything about it not coming with barbs. And from I saw they only sell 7mm festo fittings. I try to avoid using festo fittings whenever I can.
I bought both of mine from dreamworks and they have barbs, their site doesnt even list the festo version unless its been added lately.
Old 03-14-2016, 03:39 PM
Westwindpilot86

I almost bought it from dreamworks. But they were out of stock of the size I needed.

I'll get ahold of Chief and see if the barbs were just accidentally not put in the box. Maybe they normally don't include them.
Old 03-14-2016, 04:54 PM
FenderBean

If you got the festo version it doesn't include barbs.
Old 07-24-2016, 03:24 AM
CraigG
My Feedback: (40)

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave Wilshere

Now that it's been in use for awhile are people happy with this air trap? Any issues or user suggestions?

Thanks
Old 07-24-2016, 08:07 AM
FenderBean

I love mine, I did learn a good lesson at ky jets this year, the filters they us are easy to clog if u get the slime. The little filter version even more so, since it's smaller. Thanks to the clear uat I was able to see the slime well before the filter clogged, unfortunately for me I had never seen this and didn't know what I had seen weeks before. I thought it was weird but thought maybe it was something from the new fuel tanks, it wasn't until someone mentioned it at ky jets when I started having turbine issues from the filter being clogged that the light went off in my head. They have worked flawless with my P200 and the Cheetah SE, I love the filters as well since they are clear and obviously work. I had someone ask me why I went for the smaller uat over the larger one which has the dual ports? I told him my thought is the uat is there to trap the air and unless u want to run the dual ports there is no need. Yes it holds more fuel but you never use that fuel unless your mains are empty and that's not enough to give u just a few more seconds. Plus it's heavier so unless you run the dual port the smaller one in my opinion is the way to go, I use it on my large 52lb thrust P200 without and issues. Also it was super nice to trouble shoot and replace the filter element in two minutes and fix my problem. Another thing I found because they were clear saved me a jet! I had a flame out just after landing on my viper jet and because it was clear I could see trash had collect at the locations the tank line connects to the uat. I flushed the tanks prior to install but this still managed to end up in the UAT. I know other uats would have reacted the same but if this wasn't a clear uat I would have never found this trash. It was wedged betray the clear case and the little hole at the top.
Old 07-24-2016, 10:43 AM
olnico

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Yes it holds more fuel but you never use that fuel unless your mains are empty and that's not enough to give u just a few more seconds. Plus it's heavier so unless you run the dual port the smaller one in my opinion is the way to go, I use it on my large 52lb thrust P200 without and issues.
Wrong. The air trap's main purpose is to buffer the air that's picked up by the clunk during aerobatics. The larger quantity, the less risk of running a dry air trap.
If too much air is in the air trap, the drag increases around the filter unit till it cavitates and sends micro air bubbles to the engine that will flame out.
For hardcore aerobatics, I recommend choosing an air trap that holds 30 seconds of full thrust consumption. Could be 500 ml and more for 300N engines.

Please refer to my blog:
http://www.ultimate-jets.net/blogs/f...ing-cavitation
Old 07-24-2016, 11:20 AM
FenderBean

Okay this is my opinion is all, I have ran this size on my P200 from the start with out any issues, the volume between the two traps is not that big of a difference. Every air trap I have used developes a small air pocket during operation. I think the issue you talk about are most noticeable in the smaller plastic flimsy air traps. With a rigid uat and big enough fittings, large vent/fuel lines you will not get cavitation. The largest turbines 99.9% of the people in the US use are the 55lb thrust and under.
These are my opinions of course feel free to spend the extra cash and weight if you choose. I have ran the smaller plastic high flow and even made my own hi flow uats without any issues. I think more issues come from restrictions due to bad fuel system setups. I'm no pro just giving my experience

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.