Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Do we really need the ama, or is it just like auto insurance...another ripoff?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.
View Poll Results: Do we really need the AMA???
YEA
82.91%
NAY
17.09%
Voters: 316. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2014, 02:39 PM
Maximilionalpha

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do we really need the ama, or is it just like auto insurance...another ripoff?

This is more of a poll, than a question...If you're for the AMA, type 'Yea'. Against...type 'Nay'
Old 12-10-2014, 04:25 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

90% or more of the flying clubs in the USA require you to belong to the AMA to fly at their sites, So yes if you fly larger planes that require a runway or
you just like fly sometimes at a different places then you need the AMA. Also I think the AMA is more than just insurance but it is the insurance that IMO
causes most people to be AMA members.
Old 12-10-2014, 05:09 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by maximilionalpha
this is more of a poll, than a question...if you're for the ama, type 'yea'. Against...type

'nay'

yes, yes, yes!
Old 12-10-2014, 05:10 PM
HoundDog

Any Nay Sayers should not renew their 2015 AMA membership.
Old 12-10-2014, 05:13 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks for the reminder....I'll get over to the AMA Site and renew!
Old 12-10-2014, 08:15 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

When I saw this topic, I just had to look.
Just like the proverbial "Train Wreck".
Old 12-10-2014, 08:56 PM
cj_rumley

Nay......but,

I do pay for a membership card. It's a "convenience tax," as suitable nearby venues for part of my modeling activity are controlled by AMA chartered clubs. There are other options which I often exploit, but the trade-off is minutes to get there vs upwards of an hour.

Your question is akin to asking "Do we need the IRS." Difference is like it or not we would probably be in deep doggy doo without IRS but not so for AMA; the large majority of modelers do their thing without any interest in it......which btw will skew your poll results comically, since those with zero interest in AMA aren't here to reply to it.
Old 12-10-2014, 09:13 PM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by cj_rumley
Nay......but,

I do pay for a membership card. It's a "convenience tax," as suitable nearby venues for part of my modeling activity are controlled by AMA chartered clubs. There are other options which I often exploit, but the trade-off is minutes to get there vs upwards of an hour.

Your question is akin to asking "Do we need the IRS." Difference is like it or not we would probably be in deep doggy doo without IRS but not so for AMA; the large majority of modelers do their thing without any interest in it......which btw will skew your poll results comically, since those with zero interest in AMA aren't here to reply to it.

And there in is the problem the Non or Hater AMA people that cause the FAA to Be lumping the good with the Few Bad Apples that think they can fly anywhere at any time any how the please.
Old 12-10-2014, 10:40 PM
Hircflyer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes Indeed
Old 12-10-2014, 11:22 PM
JW0311

[QUOTE=HoundDog;11935360]
And there in is the problem the Non or Hater AMA people that cause the FAA to Be lumping the good with the Few Bad Apples that think they can fly anywhere at any time any how the please.
[/Q

I'm not sure that is an accurate statement for all who fly RC. I'm not an "AMA hater". I simply choose not to be a member. I don't fly just "anywhere" and I don't fly in a manner that endangers others or myself. I will not subscribe to the idea that to fly RC is to be AMA. I respect what the AMA is trying to accomplish and wish them well in their endeavors.

James
Old 12-10-2014, 11:25 PM
countilaw

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HoundDog

There are many more "Nay sayers" that belong to clubs, not to contribute the club, or assist the club, or to further the advancement of the hobby, but to fly their planes. These are the ones that never show up to help cut the grass, or to assist at club events, or even attend club meetings. These are the guys that drive up to the field and see other members doing field maintenance, and they turn around a leave. Only to come back after the work to fly their planes.

And then they show up with a "Park Fliers License".
Old 12-11-2014, 01:20 AM
mackeyjones

With any sporting body you need one central body if you actually want to be heard when it comes to any governing body or form of government. Thats just a fact of life. There is always a compromise in goals as well, they have to decide which are the most important issues that can be dealt with, and decipher the good ideas from the bad. Everyone who is a member will have different ideas even when it comes to a single topic. Their place is to put that forward and advance it in the best way possible, as well as providing the obvious insurance, funding towards events and helping clubs run in a satisfactory way. In any club there are always those who choose not to contribute, as well as those who dont see the need. They are really the ones who are missing out.
Old 12-11-2014, 03:05 AM
phlpsfrnk

Originally Posted by Maximilionalpha
This is more of a poll, than a question...If you're for the AMA, type 'Yea'. Against...type 'Nay'
Yea, it is not an insurance "Ripoff". The AMA is the governing body for all official RC sporting activities in the U.S. and reports to the NAA for national competitions and the FAI for international competitions. They (AMA) write the rules and regulation and sanction competitions.

Frank

Last edited by phlpsfrnk; 12-11-2014 at 03:11 AM. Reason: Add links
Old 12-11-2014, 05:10 AM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by Maximilionalpha

How do you feel about paying club dues, another ripoff?
IMO AMA is just part of the expense of the hobby.and is required at any club I've ever bee associated with.

Mike

Last edited by rcmiket; 12-11-2014 at 05:13 AM.
Old 12-11-2014, 05:21 AM
LarsL

The question is "Do we need..." not "Do we like..." The answere is in my opinion, an unequivocal yes. They do and have done much more than provide insurance. Not going to list that out as it would take volumes, but the organization (which is us by the way), continues to be advocates for the hobby. With any organization they are not going to get it 100% right to 100% of the member's satisfaction. That never happens with any club, organization, or group. Look here, we don't agree already and again we as I said are the AMA.

I'll give one example - would we have gotten our exclusive use 72mhz band if we the AMA hadn't as an organization been there to work with the government bodies to set it aside for us? 72mhz is not critical like it once was, but without it the hobby would not have grown like it did. We as modelers would not have all the options/opportunities we have today. No way that happens unless we as a collective group with a representative leadership body work and were there to do it.

if you are a hunter/gun sportsman, would you be better off without the NRA? If you are a private pilot would you be better off without the AOPA?

Lars
Old 12-11-2014, 05:31 AM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Lets see how the AMA handles the FAA and the current multirotor issues .After this plays out I can better answer the question.
Old 12-11-2014, 06:31 AM
Twin_Flyer
My Feedback: (4)

Yes!
Old 12-11-2014, 06:31 AM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by flyinwalenda
Lets see how the AMA handles the FAA and the current multirotor issues .After this plays out I can better answer the question.

Multirotor Helis quads FPV fomies 3D "Lectrics" on and on and on. U can't get the members of any one club to agree on things every one hates the other things that they don't do. So what do they do they Bad Mouth the things they don't participate in.
Yester day one of our members X president came around to see if anyone wanted to participate in a FUEL BUY. He had to purchase so many cases to get the price break. Well he a "LECTRIC" hater and just kidingly I said "What U gona do with all that fuel when the clubs goes to an all "LECTRIC" field January one. Man He came unglued ... Maybe so angry that he won't talk to me for another year or so....one can only hope.
Old 12-11-2014, 06:37 AM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by LarsL
The question is "Do we need..." not "Do we like..." The answere is in my opinion, an unequivocal yes. They do and have done much more than provide insurance. Not going to list that out as it would take volumes, but the organization (which is us by the way), continues to be advocates for the hobby. With any organization they are not going to get it 100% right to 100% of the member's satisfaction. That never happens with any club, organization, or group. Look here, we don't agree already and again we as I said are the AMA.

I'll give one example - would we have gotten our exclusive use 72mhz band if we the AMA hadn't as an organization been there to work with the government bodies to set it aside for us? 72mhz is not critical like it once was, but without it the hobby would not have grown like it did. We as modelers would not have all the options/opportunities we have today. No way that happens unless we as a collective group with a representative leadership body work and were there to do it.

if you are a hunter/gun sportsman, would you be better off without the NRA? If you are a private pilot would you be better off without the AOPA?

Lars

Absolutely Correct ... If We can't/won't stand as a united fource we will parish as individuals. Throwing one discipline "Under the Bus" will cause all of us to loose out. Most likely Non AMA people first bt if that happens U know we are next. If the FAA can limit or or prohibit one segment of this hobby/Sport they can Damn well do it to all of it.
Old 12-11-2014, 06:54 AM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by countilaw
There are many more "Nay sayers" that belong to clubs, not to contribute the club, or assist the club, or to further the advancement of the hobby, but to fly their planes. These are the ones that never show up to help cut the grass, or to assist at club events, or even attend club meetings. These are the guys that drive up to the field and see other members doing field maintenance, and they turn around a leave. Only to come back after the work to fly their planes.

And then they show up with a "Park Fliers License".

These and the guys that just "PAY THEIR DUES" and fly ounce of very little are the guys I love they stay out of your way when U want to get something done and the others help keep the dues down. Besides every club of any kind has the 10% that do every thig including making the rules and enforcing them.
I belong to 3 clubs in Wisconsin and 2 in Arizona. Club dues in WI are $20 at RAF $75 at LakeLand R/C Flyers and I paid $1400
for my share of PFC 15 years ago (we own the Land) and $135 dues and I flew ther 3 times in 2 years. Then it's 20 Dues and $100 at Arizona Model Aviators up $25 this year because they realized that 3 years ago they paid $5200 to re top the runway and we arn't going to ave the necessary funds when it comes to keeping the runway up to snuff in the feature.
But U know what I can fly Year round and I go to one field or the other every flyable day ...Mostly just for the Commodorery. But at 71 and some health problems I have gotten a new Philosophy toward MONEY. I can't take it with me, ( it will burn) and it's only MONEY and if I don't spend it My Daughter will. I just hope that the CHECK to the scum bag under taker BOUNCES.

Now it's time to head for the field ... don't want to be late for Lunch
Old 12-11-2014, 07:00 AM
mattnew
My Feedback: (2)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

yes we need them.
Old 12-11-2014, 07:03 AM
lawrence b

Nay!
Old 12-11-2014, 07:19 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by HoundDog
Any Nay Sayers should not renew their 2015 AMA membership.
Not a Nay Sayer but I'm not renewing my membership because the AMA has changed their longstanding disapproval of FPV for one of essentially ignoring the problem. The hobby is being destroyed from the inside.
Old 12-11-2014, 07:26 AM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

Originally Posted by rgburrill
Not a Nay Sayer but I'm not renewing my membership because the AMA has changed their longstanding disapproval of FPV for one of essentially ignoring the problem. The hobby is being destroyed from the inside.
Just wondering...are you still going to be an active modeler?
Old 12-11-2014, 07:57 AM
Renegade
My Feedback: (1)

Answer to "poll" question. NO. Throwing fuel on the conversational fire: How is the AMA similar to Auto Insurance? Where are the claim forms to get my crashed vehicles repaired? I am not a former nor current member of AMA , I have no idea what the benefits of membership would bring to me as an individual. I've just assumed the membership requirement at private club fields is to CYA of the property owners. .......so..... You can't fly here without insurance? Like you can't drive a car in the state michigan without car insurance, why then do I pay for as a separate item of coverage for uninsured motorists and under insured motorists? I'm buying my insurance to cover or protect myself from those don't follow the rules(law)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.