Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

New Gearboxes from Taigen! Bearings, bearings, and more bearings!!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

New Gearboxes from Taigen! Bearings, bearings, and more bearings!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2014, 02:40 PM
Imex-Erik

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
Default New Gearboxes from Taigen! Bearings, bearings, and more bearings!!

Hey tankers!
So I've hinted around we are working on new gearboxes a few times... Well now we have a video for you guys finally! I know some other guys have full bearing version gearboxes out, but I made a HUGE fuss about these getting shimmed correctly. These gearboxes have almost NO play in them at all. They are also painted black now and have the black motors allowing for a much nicer install. The black motors we have already increased the torque around 10-15% over the standard motors so this will be a very welcome addition to the stable. We also will be carrying a few different models we did not before to make sure we got the right gearbox for almost all tanks! Here are the current versions:
  • H/L 3:1 48mm
  • H/L 3:1 58mm
  • M/L 3:1 48mm
  • M/L 3:1 58mm
  • H/L 4:1 48mm
  • H/L 4:1 58mm
  • L/L dual ratio 48mm
  • L/L dual ratio 58mm

Just a note, the dual ratio gearboxes are not finished yet. I am still testing the ratios and motor combinations to get a good mix. I want the ratios to be close to the 4:1 and 3:1 on the other gearboxes, but I would like them a bit lower if possible. The dual ratio gearboxes in the video aren't even painted yet as I am still testing them. The others are ready to go and have been tested rigorously in my tanks. The 4:1 are still my favorite and provide tons of torque as usual plus the added bonus of less resistance with the bearings. There is no release date yet, but they are very close, close enough for us to share video They will also have new boxes designed just for them as well. The video will go live around 7-8PM EST, so check it out here:
http://youtu.be/y7XeQcdXx7I
Old 12-19-2014, 04:07 PM
Lord Haw-Haw

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great Stuff. Looking forward too these.
Old 12-19-2014, 04:48 PM
trackmech81

So does this mean the 3:1 will be available for install in an Abrams, or is 4:1 still the only option for that one once it comes in? They look like a great upgrade.
Old 12-19-2014, 04:59 PM
CHIEFSONN

I have an old set of the brass gear boxes that I picked up from Aisatam years ago in my Jagdpanther and another set in the DickerMax im building love them,cant wait to get my hands on a set of the steel gears down the road.
Old 12-19-2014, 05:12 PM
Max-U52

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Prices?
Old 12-19-2014, 05:23 PM
philipat

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

These look awesome! Are you using different motors between the 3:1 and 4:1 gearboxes? The 3:1s in the video have black end caps and the 4:1s have blue end caps. Might just be a lack of paint, but figured I'd ask.
Old 12-19-2014, 07:44 PM
YHR

Any chance of you hooking up some power to these.
Old 12-19-2014, 07:45 PM
Imex-Erik

Originally Posted by trackmech81
So does this mean the 3:1 will be available for install in an Abrams, or is 4:1 still the only option for that one once it comes in? They look like a great upgrade.
Just 4:1 for now, these guys will make a full release soon. Got to finish the box art and a bit more and it will be ready to go.
Originally Posted by CHIEFSONN
I have an old set of the brass gear boxes that I picked up from Aisatam years ago in my Jagdpanther and another set in the DickerMax im building love them,cant wait to get my hands on a set of the steel gears down the road.
Just imagine bearings in them
Originally Posted by maxu52
Prices?
None yet, I might have a surprise on that one soon...
Originally Posted by philipat
These look awesome! Are you using different motors between the 3:1 and 4:1 gearboxes? The 3:1s in the video have black end caps and the 4:1s have blue end caps. Might just be a lack of paint, but figured I'd ask.
No, just the blue ones were the previous color. I wanted all black ones They look very smooth in a tank and don't show dirt near as bad as the others. Nice eye though!
Old 12-19-2014, 07:47 PM
Imex-Erik

Originally Posted by YHR
Any chance of you hooking up some power to these.
Yea, but I might not be able to until after Xmas. I have a TON of work to do this coming up week. Any tanks in specific you want to see?
Old 12-19-2014, 08:00 PM
Max-U52

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Imex-Erik
Any tanks in specific you want to see?
Panzer III and IV, bitte. I'd really like to see how they perform in the small tanks.
Old 12-20-2014, 05:48 AM
YHR

Originally Posted by Imex-Erik
Yea, but I might not be able to until after Xmas. I have a TON of work to do this coming up week. Any tanks in specific you want to see?
Everyone has a Tiger, so how about in Tiger. I do believe the 4:1 are more suited to WWII armor.
Old 12-21-2014, 05:06 PM
philipat

Full metal Tiger for any of them...good power to weight demonstration. Or, PzIV with the mid/low 4:1 combination. Try to show how much space is still left between the top of the gearbox/motor and the lower hull. That would show how much play is available to those that want to correct the sprocket height on the PzIV.