Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Where have all the builders gone

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Where have all the builders gone

Old 01-20-2015, 07:59 PM
Leroy Gardner

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Where have all the builders gone

As soon as we find out where all the builders have gone it might help find out where all the kits have gone. Everyone has an opinion about almost everything but sometimes it's hard to get a good solid answer about anything. Lets see what we can come up with and why there seam to be a lot less builders these days which might explain why there is a lot less of several other things also.

I know many builders have been lost as a result of old age and there are less and less followers to fill their shoes, that can't be the only reason "GO for it".

Leroy

Last edited by Leroy Gardner; 01-20-2015 at 08:02 PM. Reason: forgot the reason (Debate)
Old 01-20-2015, 08:38 PM
Pylonracr

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I am here.
Old 01-20-2015, 09:01 PM
Leroy Gardner

Originally Posted by Pylonracr
I am here.
How's that going to help.
Old 01-21-2015, 12:45 AM
jeffo
My Feedback: (68)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A lot of good builders are buying ARF's,that is what happened in my club.One of the best builders in my club told me,"it's 95% what I want at 1/2 the price,it's not worth it.jeffo
Old 01-21-2015, 04:20 AM
sensei

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Allot of builders are still out there Leroy, some just won't post their build thread efforts on RCU anymore. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/card...-260-diet.html This build thread is only 11 pages long and you may find it an interesting read or maybe not but the airplane is still around and flying well.

Bob
Old 01-21-2015, 04:51 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

For me it's not about cost building vs. ARFs

Sadly the landscape has changed,, There was a time when I had many great builders I flew with, we'd play off and inspire each other, Now, very few builders in my club, none building scale models. I too mostly play with ARFs, the desire to build is weak, I haven't built from a kit or scratch in a long time.
Old 01-21-2015, 07:44 AM
Pylonracr

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I guess I completely missed the question. I pretty much only scratch build anymore, because there are too few kits available. If there were more kits I would build them. There is one ARF in my hanger now, because it was given to me as a gift.
I love to build, and always have something in the works. Now I am scratch building a plane for my flying buddy.
Old 01-21-2015, 07:46 AM
guille2006

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well; I'm still here and struggling to put my little insdustry on it's legs.
I guess that if people/modellers realise how good it feels "to see flying what I built"; they'd turn off the TV more often for REAL building more...
Sadly, many persons says "I built" when they just put together 3 parts of and ARF; but as said here and in many other threads: It's the current Modelling landscape.
Cheers; G.

PS: BTW: I don't even have TV
Old 01-21-2015, 07:54 AM
GerKonig

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know many builders have been lost as a result of old age and there are less and less followers to fill their shoes, that can't be the only reason "GO for it".

a) I know lots and lots of builders that went "underground" and from there there is no coming back
b) Less people are going into building RC, and now they have a choice: ARFs. You need a pool of "new" builders to compensate those that die or cannot build anymore.
c) Many are actually out at the field more often thanks to ARFS

At least this is my observation. For many years if you flew RC you were a builder, period. Not anymore, now there is a choice, and many are choosing to fly over working in the shop. And that, in a nutshell, is the truth. Can you handle the truth?:-)

Gerry
PS: I can only speak for myself, and talk about my personal experience. Other people's experiences might vary:-)
Old 01-21-2015, 08:19 AM
lawrence b

All the builders have gone to R/C Scale Builder, which only has one small section devoted to ARF makeovers. This site, on the other hand, is infested with ARF threads. I have been desiging, building, and flying my own models for many years now.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	J6.jpg
Views:	939
Size:	2.16 MB
ID:	2065969  

Last edited by lawrence b; 01-21-2015 at 08:52 AM.
Old 01-21-2015, 09:02 AM
mike1974
My Feedback: (1)

Hi guys,

I am 40 years old and started in this hobby when I was 13. For my birthday I was able to scrounge enough money together to get a PT 40. It was 50.00 for the kit! lol I built it. And loved building it. Then I had to save for a radio, and engine and field equipment. I tried to fly it and crashed it. Fixed it, and crashed again and again. I did not have access to a club and no one I knew was into RC. I would build a few more plans in my youth and crashed all of them. lol

I was then in high school and had other priorities. Then went into the military and did not have room for planes. I was finally able to get back into trying to fly when I was 22, out of the military and had a really good job. I finally got over the learning to fly hump by purchasing Real Flight Deluxe! Remember that? lol

As time went on I built a few more planes, but I am a geek and love technology and RC. Helicopters became affordable and I had always wanted one since the first crude ones came out in the catalogs. I built a couple helis. A .30 glow and an electric 450 Trex. About 6 years ago I built a GP .40 cub. Lots of fun! 3 years ago I bought the kit I had wanted to build since I was 14. A .60 size corsair with retracts and flaps. It is the TF GE Corsair. I have the fuse 98% done and the wing about 75% done. This build has been a challenge not only from a time perspective, but from a father of 2 with a full time job and a 4 unit building that needs to be kept up perspective. I usually have about 3 hours at night to myself to build if I want, but I am so tired from work and kids and anything else that needs to be done I just want to relax at that point. The times I feel like building never coincide to what the family has in mind, especially on the weekend. I like to wake up and get building and can build all day if I could. Well, that does not work out to well when your kids want to see you and have your attention. An hour here and an hour there is just enough time to get into it only to have to stop, so it becomes more frustrating then enjoyable.

3 years is a long time (for me) to be building a single airplane. I am really trying to get it done for this flying season, but time is limited. This build has kind of shown me how little time I have anymore to build and has really started to frustrate me. I will probably not build another kit until I retire and or the kids are on their own. At this point I view building a kit as being for someone who is single with no young children or for the older folk who are retired or have plenty of spare time.

I also enjoy multiple aspects of RC that keep me from wanting to spend hours, days, weeks and months building. As mentioned I have 2 helicopters, and also 3 glow planes, 2 electric foam planes, a little Blade quad mqx, a Blade msr heli, an e-Flite 4-Site, Parkzone Night Vapor and my newest addition is a Blade Nano FPV. I also would like to get a nice RC truck eventually. I purchased a FatShark Attitude v2 FPV kit to use with the Blade Nano FPV and I put the TX and camera from the FatShark kit into my Flyzone Focke Wulf 190. So all these different interests within the RC realm also contribute to limited time building. I love all things RC and especially RC things that fly.

I will always enjoy building, but the amount of time it takes at this point in my life is just not feasible for building a kit. To be honest, I am at the point where I cannot wait to be done building this corsair so that I have no building projects at all and I can just fly and maintain my current fleet. It will probably be years before I buy another kit. I would consider an ARF, but it will be a long, long time before I even think about building another kit.

I hope I did not bore anyone with this. lol. Just trying to give a real perspective on why my building kits is taking a back seat for now.

Mike
Old 01-21-2015, 09:02 AM
Maximilionalpha

Hopefully, the way of the dinosaurs.
Old 01-21-2015, 09:03 AM
mike1974

Originally Posted by lawrence b
All the builders have gone to R/C Scale Builder, which only has one small section devoted to ARF makeovers. This site, on the other hand, is infested with ARF threads. I have been desiging, building, and flying my own models for many years now.
Wow!!!!!! That is a beautiful plane!
Old 01-21-2015, 09:03 AM
Radical Departure
My Feedback: (13)

I poured a lot of time and money into building, just didn't pan out. Should say 'trying' to build. Out of probably 10-15 kits, only two ever made it off the bench. By building, I mean 80" spans and up, not Stevens Aero kits. (Though they are cool little planes). Only one guy in my area builds, and he's so involved in his building and work that teaching someone else isn't on his plate. Couple old-timers that used to build years ago, but again, they have neither the time or inclination to mentor budding builders. I'm not a friend of wood... measure once, twice, three times, make the cut.. toss in can, get another stick. I could take a week carefully gluing ribs, measure, re-measure, do what seems to be the right things, and still get a warped wing. Here's a truth, some people aren't meant to be builders, plain and simple. And if there's no hands-on teaching to learn the basics of building, never ever going to get it right except by sheer luck. Online info is great, but will only take you so far. I wont say how much I've spent trying, you'd be too shocked, or the hundreds of hours spent only to have to toss it or spend more money for more wood. Comes a time when you have to call something for what it is, and for me, its called finished. Nowadays I only 'build' planes that are composite, i.e. Yellow Aircraft, etc.. or bash ARF's to get what I want. My experience isn't reflective of the larger picture of why building is a diminished past time.. age, time available to build, cultural shifts and such are much larger influences. Just wanted to share the story of one guy that gave it his best shot.

Edit; Here's one of 2 planes successfully built, 80" Page Super Cub, started in fall 2012, finished past summer. The other is a Micko P-47B, represents the type of planes I prefer nowadays, not an ARF yet not a 'from plans up build', a happy middle ground which allows me some freedom to scale it. Will be starting on it in a few weeks.

Name:	021.jpg
Views:	776
Size:	137.6 KB
ID:	2066076   Click image for larger version

Name:	017.jpg
Views:	600
Size:	111.4 KB
ID:	2066077  

Last edited by Radical Departure; 01-21-2015 at 01:01 PM.
Old 01-21-2015, 09:19 AM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I think there is still some building going on.

But for all the work involved in posting about it there is not much appreciation of it ..people have quit doing it..I know on some of my builds in the past that were on odd subjects... or kit bashes there was nearly no feedback. There are some good guys that keep this sight moving forward ..but if everyone just looks and leaves without comment ..eventually there is nothing to look or comment on anymore.

I have been tempted to join the scalebuilder site even if its a pay site only, I sure recognize a lot of people there that used to be here.

The best example of it was the guy that took step by step photos of the full scale build of a Sopwith Pup, and DR1, and he had so little feed back he at one time posted

"Is ANYONE watching? or should I just quit posting pics?"
Old 01-21-2015, 09:23 AM
Radical Departure
My Feedback: (13)

Foodstick - rc scale builder is well worth the 20.00, even if have only passing interest in scale. Some fantastic threads and incredible workmanship to be seen there. The 20 was worth it to me just to see Masters in action, and maybe learn a couple things to boot. Downside, some of them can take several years to complete so some threads aren't always 'fresh'..

Last edited by Radical Departure; 01-21-2015 at 09:26 AM.
Old 01-21-2015, 09:42 AM
jwrich
My Feedback: (17)

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

RC Scale Builder is the builders web site. You can learn more in one Sunday afternoon than reading about ARFs here. We are still out here, you are not where we are.

Rich
Old 01-21-2015, 10:02 AM
mike1974

Originally Posted by jwrich
RC Scale Builder is the builders web site. You can learn more in one Sunday afternoon than reading about ARFs here. We are still out here, you are not where we are.

Rich
Out of complete curiousity and absolutely no rude intentions I am wondering what the average age group(s) are that participate in RC Scale Builder? Is it mostly younger (yet to start families) and older (retired and/or kids out of the home) age groups?

I could personally see myself joing that site and trying to do a really nice scale build. It would just have to be when I am retired and/or kids out of the house.

On a side note my soon to be 7 year old boy LOVES scale warbirds of all kinds.
Old 01-21-2015, 10:03 AM
mattnew
My Feedback: (2)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Builder here, what are you really looking for?

If I post a build thread, I'll get 15 people following it and 2 people commenting, one of those will be trying to learn something new, the other will bill telling me I'm doing it wrong :-)

I love to build, I love to post threads that people can learn from, since while I'm relatively young compared to the hobby average, I've probably been in the hobby longer than most and have learned a thing or two that I'd love to pass on if possible. That being said, I'm not seeing people clamoring for build information on this site... If that were different I'd probably post a lot more on what I'm working on...

Current bench, cap232 and top flite se5a restoration

Name:	20150121_125701.jpg
Views:	2415
Size:	398.2 KB
ID:	2065999   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150121_125706.jpg
Views:	2501
Size:	611.0 KB
ID:	2066000  
Old 01-21-2015, 10:23 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

Building requires a long term commitment, kind of like marriage. Sadly it's gone the same way.
Old 01-21-2015, 10:25 AM
Leroy Gardner

Originally Posted by sensei
Allot of builders are still out there Leroy, some just won't post their build thread efforts on RCU anymore. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/card...-260-diet.html This build thread is only 11 pages long and you may find it an interesting read or maybe not but the airplane is still around and flying well.

Bob
Hi Bob, I read it, disgustingly funny, unfortunately an example of what can and does go on here and most certainly ran a good number of builders off over the years I have been here. I find myself questioning why I even build here any more, I think it's because of what I would like it to be but the truth is it's hardly hear anymore, the once was part of it anyway.

I retracted something that wasn't called for.

Leroy

Last edited by Leroy Gardner; 01-21-2015 at 11:00 AM.
Old 01-21-2015, 10:36 AM
Jaybird

It is a big time commitment. It is very enjoyable and satisfying. The kits I've done so far have been challenging and the included balsa and lite ply parts poolry die-cut and some of the material was unusable. I've had to buy replacement balsa and modify just about every piece to make it go together. But other kits may be better and some like the challenge.
I'm currently building the BALSA USA 1/6 scale Nieuport 28 C but the thread is on RC groups as there were no threads here on the particular kit (many on the 1/4 scale but they didn't help as much). http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2267961

Jaybird

Name:	IMG_4645.JPG
Views:	807
Size:	3.39 MB
ID:	2066003  
Old 01-21-2015, 10:38 AM
jwrich
My Feedback: (17)

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

You are correct, most younger folks just don't have the time to do a scale project, many can take months/years to complete. Life, (work, kids, family and sometimes expense) just dose not allow it. I believe the introduction of ARFs is a good thing, it brings people into the hobby. Later they may want to be creative and build an airplane that not the others at the field. Don't mistake that I am NOT down on ARFs, I am just happy we have people coming into the hobby. I have been building and flying RC airplanes for more than 30 years and I have always like the work with my hands. I have also restored classic cars. Here are some pictures of my work, I also do the club web site, www.okbarnstormers.com there are more pictures of my planes, C-130 build and others. The Spad XIII is ready to complete the painting.
Rich

Forgot my 1964 MGB

Name:	004xo.jpg
Views:	1809
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	2066001   Click image for larger version

Name:	006xo.jpg
Views:	1741
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	2066002   Click image for larger version

Name:	Spad-13-293ox.jpg
Views:	1794
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	2066004   Click image for larger version

Name:	Spad-13-295o.jpg
Views:	1743
Size:	118.5 KB
ID:	2066005   Click image for larger version

Name:	M-G-B-#-6-op.jpg
Views:	1787
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	2066042   Click image for larger version

Name:	M-G-B--#2-op.jpg
Views:	1685
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	2066043   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rich-s-64-MGB.jpg
Views:	1739
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	2066044  

Last edited by jwrich; 01-21-2015 at 11:12 AM.
Old 01-21-2015, 10:40 AM
carlgrover

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I've been building for over 25 years and I have no interest in ARFs, RTFs, electrics, or those all foam toys that are so popular. I built many kits but then also developed more interest in building from plans since they were more unique. I've bought NIB kits at swap meets for years and have about 2 dozen or so. I'm glad I did because each one was a bargain. None of them are made anymore and some go for ridiculous prices. I'll continue to build from plans and also my kits but I doubt I buy any more due to the "collector" type prices. They are getting scarce at swap meets anyway.

Guys in my club are interested mainly in all foam electrics. Some are built from scratch which is commendable but .... There are only a few builders left, a few who don't build but still like to fly glo, and many more that went electric ARF or RTF. I hear some of them say they want to build someday but I have yet to see it.

I have about 20 minutes of work left to do on a Phil Kraft Quik Fli before it hits the air. Built from plans and covered with uncertified aircraft fabric and Randolph dope. Power is a K&B .61 warmed up by Clarence Lee himself. I might post a pic of it in the classic pattern section. I'm also building a Goldberg Ultimate which will be finished with fabric/dope as well. I will never do a build thread.

Builders are still out there but I think most of them are getting pretty old.

carl
Old 01-21-2015, 10:43 AM
tonyos
My Feedback: (48)

Hi I still Build after about 60+ years in the Hobby But like to buy some ARF Jets still fun after all the years . Keep them coming

Name:	IMG_20140415_125940_469.jpg
Views:	1754
Size:	600.3 KB
ID:	2066027  

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.