Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Batteries & Chargers
Reload this Page >

How many amps for 7600mah lipo?

Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

How many amps for 7600mah lipo?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2015, 05:41 PM
PandaSoup

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How many amps for 7600mah lipo?

How many Amps should I charge these at? I'm at 3.8 right now and it takes forever with this many.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	4873
Size:	800.7 KB
ID:	2069216  
Old 01-30-2015, 05:56 PM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PandaSoup

How many Amps should I charge these at? I'm at 3.8 right now and it takes forever with this many.
7 amps is good but don't go above 8 amps.
Old 01-30-2015, 06:53 PM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Holy cow. What are those packs being used in? Charging one of them packs @ 3.8 amps would take approx. 2 hours. The price to pay for higher capacity.
Old 01-31-2015, 02:42 AM
trax de max

Have you looked into parallel charging,
It'll be good to charge from storage to full, but from used to storage you may need to charge up separately, Also will depend on your chargers specs
Old 01-31-2015, 04:14 AM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

The normal recommended charging method for LiPo batteries is a 1C charge rate. Meaning those packs you have could be charged @ 7.6 amps...provided you have a charger that will put out that kind of amperage.

There are packs out there that state they are capable of 2C,3C even 4C charge rates. I don't recommend charging above a 1C charge rate to fast charge a LiPo battery. Doing so could shorten battery life cycle. That's a debate for some people, and I don't want to get into the discussion of the effects of "super charging" a high capacity LiPo pack in 20 minutes.

PandaSoup...what you got there, is the best way to go...you have more than enough packs to rotate for a full day of RCing (unless you have a RC that uses two packs at a time).
Old 01-31-2015, 02:10 PM
PandaSoup

It's for a project at work. The batteries are for a Traxxas Summit Chasis, but the GoPro itself and servos for the arm and GoPro are also being powered by the batteries.

We also didn't want to risk storing batteries in our work vehicle in the hot sun, so we just purchased batteries to leave at locations that the Summit is most used.

How long can these sit without use before needing a charge?

I'm using a Tenergy TB6, it goes up to 5A.

Should I use and charge all of these a few times before letting them sit on a shelf?

ETA: they need to be stored at full capacity so that they are usable right away when needed, so what is the best way to maintain them?

Last edited by PandaSoup; 01-31-2015 at 02:56 PM.
Old 01-31-2015, 04:00 PM
flyinwalenda

You should read this and get up to speed on Lixx battery pack basics..
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-c...batteries.html

LiXX packs should never be left fully charged for a few weeks. Some say days but if I'm not going to be using them within a weeks time I put them in storage mode. You should always store the packs at 50% capacity (storage mode) . Store them this way and they will last years. Store them fully charged and it will shorten their lifespan and lower their "C" rating output. The charger you are using has an auto-storage mode setting.
Always balance charge when charging too.
Old 01-31-2015, 04:16 PM
PandaSoup

Originally Posted by flyinwalenda
You should read this and get up to speed on Lixx battery pack basics..
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-c...batteries.html

LiXX packs should never be left fully charged for a few weeks. Some say days but if I'm not going to be using them within a weeks time I put them in storage mode. You should always store the packs at 50% capacity (storage mode) . Store them this way and they will last years. Store them fully charged and it will shorten their lifespan and lower their "C" rating output. The charger you are using has an auto-storage mode setting.
Always balance charge when charging too.

There's no balance port on these new batteries.

The Summit is used for emergency response, so we can't keep batteries at 50% because we don't have time to sit and charge them when it is needed. LIfespan isn't a huge issue because we can always buy more batteries, so if that's the only issue with storing them charged then that's fine.

I could make a procedure to go out and drain the batteries a bit every couple of weeks and then recharge them, is that a good idea?
Old 01-31-2015, 04:41 PM
flyinwalenda

Looking at your pic more closely it seems you bought the new ID LiPo's from Traxxas. For some reason they redesigned their packs with a special balance circuit wiring that uses the main plug to both charge and balance. In order to properly charge and balance them you will need to get a Traxxas ID Lipo charger.
A weekly maintenance schedule of discharging them down to storage level and recharging is better than leaving them charged and sitting unused for weeks at a time.
Old 01-31-2015, 05:33 PM
PandaSoup

Originally Posted by flyinwalenda
Looking at your pic more closely it seems you bought the new ID LiPo's from Traxxas. For some reason they redesigned their packs with a special balance circuit wiring that uses the main plug to both charge and balance. In order to properly charge and balance them you will need to get a Traxxas ID Lipo charger.
A weekly maintenance schedule of discharging them down to storage level and recharging is better than leaving them charged and sitting unused for weeks at a time.
I heard they are coming out with an adapter to plug into a normal balancing port.

Running the Summit for a few hours a week on company time sounds like a good plan to me.
Old 01-31-2015, 10:26 PM
chuckk2

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

7600mah lipos - 1C - up to 7.6A Leave at 3.8-3.85v per cell for storage. Do Not leave fully charged, or the Lipos will be damaged.
Your charger may not be able to charge at that rate, a lower rate is fine, other than the time.
My largest charger can charge 5 lipos at that rate per port, for a total of 10 using parallel charging. (DPL-8)
From storage, with balancing, the time is between 1/2 and 3/4 of an hour for 10 charged in parallel.
Old 01-31-2015, 10:31 PM
chuckk2

So, Is it possible to leave two Lipos charged to 50% at each location? That way you might be able to use them in parallel, and still have enough run time.
Old 02-01-2015, 11:53 AM
trax de max

the adaptor plug is #2938
Old 02-01-2015, 05:31 PM
Rv7garage
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like someone jumped into Lipo technology without doing their research. Lips are not a good choice for storing fully charged.
Old 02-02-2015, 02:04 AM
chuckk2

"There's no balance port on these new batteries".
A two cell only needs the addition of a center tap lead. It looks like that's the third smaller pin in the connector.
It would be fairly simple to make an adapter to use the common 4 button chargers with separate power and balance connectors.

Where things get messy has to do with a battery that has an internal protection circuit.
Some of the just above toy helicopters came with such a circuit inside a lipo. Trying to charge a conventional same cell count lipo
(no protection circuit) with the included charger could result in damage to the lipo.

We had a fairly recent small batch of cylindrical batteries come in for a project.
One of them would not charge properly. Investigation showed that the protection circuit was faulty.
We were able to charge the cell, but the protection circuit went up in smoke during the charge.
Old 02-02-2015, 12:03 PM
trax de max

The adaptor, http://www.ebay.com/itm/TRAXXAS-2938...25268685&rt=nc
Old 02-04-2015, 07:47 PM
PandaSoup

Originally Posted by chuckk2
7600mah lipos - 1C - up to 7.6A Leave at 3.8-3.85v per cell for storage. Do Not leave fully charged, or the Lipos will be damaged.
Your charger may not be able to charge at that rate, a lower rate is fine, other than the time.
My largest charger can charge 5 lipos at that rate per port, for a total of 10 using parallel charging. (DPL-8)
From storage, with balancing, the time is between 1/2 and 3/4 of an hour for 10 charged in parallel.
How long can they be stored full before damage is an issue, and what kind of damage?

Originally Posted by chuckk2
So, Is it possible to leave two Lipos charged to 50% at each location? That way you might be able to use them in parallel, and still have enough run time.
Is the traxxas summit ran in parallel off the shelf? I don't want to mess with factory wiring, unless it's really easy and not risky to the chassis electronics.

Originally Posted by trax de max
the adaptor plug is #2938
Thanks

Originally Posted by Rv7garage
Sounds like someone jumped into Lipo technology without doing their research. Lips are not a good choice for storing fully charged.
Do you mean research, or googling? I did a bit of both, though most of the battery research was done by our robotics and battery engineers (though our battery engineers are working on completely different batteries. Crazy small batteries, so they couldn't help much except for with explaining how they worked. ). It was pretty fun to watch and participate. They hooked the Summit up to a bunch of devices that measured the draw of all of the servos and the GoPro and motor under different loads while the arm was lifting things and the camera was looking around, while everything was static, and all of the above at different speeds and weight loads. Getting towed around the parking lot by the Summit while sitting on a cart was probably the most fun.

Based on that research and some googling, we decided that LiPos would be our best bet.

I'll look around for our research notes and share what I can.

Originally Posted by trax de max
Thanks
Old 02-05-2015, 04:31 AM
flyinwalenda

How long can they be stored full before damage is an issue, and what kind of damage?
Already covered that in post #7.
Old 02-11-2015, 02:48 AM
Kipp Louis

suitable is 7. 6A, if at all with your charger in case that's impossible and then demand the item with the max possible although you will need to charge more than once since the charger end as soon as the charger stop to your max mah.
Old 02-12-2015, 10:05 PM
DrV
My Feedback: (2)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Lots of good advice but also lots of misinformation. Current high discharge lipos will not get damaged by 2c or even 3c charging using high quality charger with a balancer. However you will damage lipos when stored fully charged and may also cause fires. Please read the following.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1330647
Old 02-17-2015, 02:47 PM
RCoffroadracer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by DrV
Lots of good advice but also lots of misinformation. Current high discharge lipos will not get damaged by 2c or even 3c charging using high quality charger with a balancer. However you will damage lipos when stored fully charged and may also cause fires. Please read the following.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1330647
some say 60-70% some say 50-60%.
. here is max amps. they recommend 60-70%
http://www.maxamps.com/lipo-care.php

Last edited by RCoffroadracer; 02-17-2015 at 03:10 PM.
Old 02-19-2015, 11:34 AM
trax de max

Originally Posted by RCoffroadracer
some say 60-70% some say 50-60%.
. here is max amps. they recommend 60-70%
http://www.maxamps.com/lipo-care.php
The storage state is just a range. It's easier to work out 50% than it is to figure out 60% or 70% for most people.
Full is bad, empty is bad, in between is good. I kinda know why max amps say 60-70% while pretty much everyone else says 50% http://www.lithipedia.org/#/safety/4571708997