Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Pro-Mark graphics

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Pro-Mark graphics

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2015, 05:43 PM
Eaglepilot2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pro-Mark graphics

Can anyone tell me what graphics are included in the data package other than stars and bars? I'm repainting an Avonds F-15 and thinking of using them for the transfers. I need the all of the grills and was hoping they would be included if not in the data package maybe the actual squadron set. I have Emailed Pro-Mark but haven't received a reply yet. Thought someone here could answer my questions.
Thanks in advance.
Old 03-26-2015, 07:56 PM
Kelly Rohrbach
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just call Jerry, that has always been the best way to reach them. I just called the other day and he picked up about the 3 ring.
Old 03-26-2015, 09:15 PM
AndyAndrews

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Two words... Tailor Made. They are much easier to work with and Ralle returns phone calls. Their markings are very accurate too and the transfers and masks are top notch. You really can't go wrong with these guys. Fast shipment too! They also offer excellent paint and finishing materials at a very resonable price.
Old 03-27-2015, 01:53 AM
grbaker
My Feedback: (29)

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

I ordered the data sheet for my YA F-15. I was only able to use the Stars and Bars, none of the small stuff would even come off the sheet at all and I had a lot of trouble with the Stars and Bars. I think I still have the sheet at home and will take a pic of what's left. I know it comes with the intake angle indicators, canopy warning triangles and lots of the NO STEP honeycomb transfers but I don't remember what else was on the sheet. I don't think there are any of the grilles on there.

Personally I will never use ProMark again. I have a lot of experience with other manufacturer's dry transfers and have never had the problems I had with these ProMarks.

Last edited by grbaker; 03-27-2015 at 02:01 AM.
Old 03-27-2015, 06:21 AM
wojtek
My Feedback: (73)

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I have had good success with both ProMark, and Tailormade. Remember also, that dry transfers do not transfer easily to flat/matte finishes .

The one company i would absolutely avoid by all means for transfers and decals with be Aeroloft ( if they are even still around ) ... complete junk.

Voy
Old 03-27-2015, 06:29 AM
uncljoe
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by wojtek
I have had good success with both ProMark, and Tailormade. Remember also, that dry transfers do not transfer easily to flat/matte finishes .

The one company i would absolutely avoid by all means for transfers and decals with be Aeroloft ( if they are even still around ) ... complete junk.

Voy
+1
Old 03-27-2015, 08:19 AM
speed is life

Originally Posted by wojtek

Voy
+2
Ralle & TailorMade are great, and fast delivery.

my Aeroloft experience was absolutely negative......the quality, scale size, and usability was (as Voy said) junk.....and then when I called to see about a solution, the lady had the huevos to argue with me that there was nothing wrong.
Stay away from Aeroloft.
- Mike
Old 03-27-2015, 09:00 AM
Eaglepilot2

Thank you all for your help. I'm surprised to hear that about Pro-Mark. What is the normal lead time from Taylor Made? Always heard great things about them, just didn't give them much thought because of being across the pond!
Old 03-27-2015, 09:08 AM
wojtek

I have had Ralle at Tailor-made ship within 1 - 2 weeks max, and this includes custom designs/orders as well. He has an awesome selection of designs and options ( including rub off dry transfer, water slide, vinyl, etc )

also another options is the DecalPro FX kit that allows you to make your own decals. Google it up ... I have a few actually if anyone wants to give them a shot ( PM me ) but i will say its a lot of work .. super results, but a lot of work .. I like making my own stuff and push to do that with as many aspects of modeling I can, so i really enjoyed this .. Ralle was actually able to provide me some files for a P-47 set that I was able to make myself

Voy
Old 03-27-2015, 09:14 AM
Eaglepilot2

Thanks Voy! I'll send Ralle an email. Not sure I want to tackle doing it myself! No patience and certainly not much time these days.
Old 03-27-2015, 01:53 PM
Eaglepilot2

Why do the transfers not work well with flat finishes? I would think it would be better.

Gary--I would love to see any pics of what you got for Pro-Mark.

Thanks again everyone, it really helped!
Old 03-27-2015, 02:12 PM
wojtek

flat finish leaves less of the surface adhering to the decal. The decal is not paint, its a piece of plastic, and i can see why you might think a flat surface wold allow better grip so to say ..

think of what a flat piece of cellophane will stick to better ... a glass surface ? or a brick wall ? similar principal. Yes the decals have adhesive, however it is a very think layer that needs greater surface contact.

Voy
Old 03-27-2015, 02:23 PM
grbaker
My Feedback: (29)

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Sorry, looks like I threw them away. I was pretty upset when I tried to use them.
Why do the transfers not work well with flat finishes?
The flat finish may have been part of my problem. My F-15 was painted with Model Masters flat acrylic paint.

As I mentioned earlier the set had all of the stars and bars, intake ramp position indicators, ejection seat / canopy warning triangles, lots of the NO STEP honeycombs and lots of misc nomenclature. I was very happy when I got them, because it was pretty much everything I wanted. Just wish I could have used more of them. They acted like transfers I have had in the past that were too old to use. I tried everything I could think of (including the tips on the Pro Mark website) and just could not get any of the smaller stuff to stick.
Old 03-27-2015, 02:26 PM
Eaglepilot2

Thanks again Voy. Excellent description. I was indeed thinking it were more like paint and would be better with a dull surface to "grab" on to.

You guys have been most helpful. I wish all the threads were more like this.

Mike
Old 03-27-2015, 04:08 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I think the dry transfers age, new sets seem better. Warming them helps, but some are very tough to transfer. A warning, if you apply them over a relatives soft surface (like a BVM outer skin over balsa or Comp ARF over foam) the burnishing will leave a mark.

In case you did not get the message, dont use Aeroloft :-)

And you have to call Jerry, email don't work

Last edited by mr_matt; 03-27-2015 at 08:42 PM.
Old 03-27-2015, 06:16 PM
AndyAndrews

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Ralle has some cleaner that will help the dry transfers stick to almost any surface. Ask him about it.
Old 03-27-2015, 06:58 PM
Eaglepilot2

Thanks Andy,

The real F-15 paint scheme I'm doing is pretty flat, so that is a concern. I'll make sure before I pull the trigger.
Old 03-28-2015, 02:50 AM
smchale
My Feedback: (67)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AndyAndrews
Two words... Tailor Made. They are much easier to work with and Ralle returns phone calls. Their markings are very accurate too and the transfers and masks are top notch. You really can't go wrong with these guys. Fast shipment too! They also offer excellent paint and finishing materials at a very resonable price.
I agree totally! Ralle has no equal in this market.
looks like my experience has been the same as others here. Aerolofts art work is terrible at best. Pro Mark is not easy to deal with, especially if you want something different than what they offer.
For simple items and quick domestic turnaround Vikie at getstencils.com has been very good for me too. Paint masks especially. She will send you dimensioned proofs to make sure she is capturing your needs exactly like you want before cutting and sending. They can also do rub ons if you need them. Great service in my experience.

For dry transfers (rub ons) you can ask Ralle for extra glue. He's done this for me when I've been putting them over flight metal. He may be using a new glue now that makes this extra step unnecessary but worth asking.
they are moving to new offices shortly so if there is a delay in response time be patient.
Old 03-28-2015, 04:45 AM
Eaglepilot2

Thanks Sean,
I'm starting to wonder if dry transfers are the best option. What type of decals are most guys using? Looks like I can get good results from various types. I did see that Tailor Made is in the process of relocating. Getstencils.com looks promising as we'll.

Thanks again for everyone's help.
Old 03-28-2015, 05:55 AM
ticketec
My Feedback: (2)

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Dry transfers and waterslide with both work FAR better with a gloss surface to adhere correctly onto. Dry transfers are way more tolerant in my experience than waterside, i.e. I've applied them onto flat cleared surfaces, with pretty reasonable results.

two options to do the job correctly, is one gloss clear the whole model, place all the stencils were you need them, and then flat clear it once completed. Option two, just spray gloss clear in the areas where the decals need to go and then flat clear it once done.

If you want to really make the waterslide decals's carrier film disappere, spray a little gloss clear over them before you flat clear them. It's what we do when building plastic models.

Given the choice of either dry transfer or waterslide, and I have a fair bit of experience with both, dry transfers every day of the week! A lot less work, no carried film to hide, easy to position correctly, etc it's just they are a fair bit more expensive generally.

been wanting to try the decal pro FX kit for ages... And would love to know how large companies make dry transfers.

thanks

dave

Last edited by ticketec; 03-28-2015 at 05:58 AM.
Old 03-28-2015, 06:28 AM
Eaglepilot2

Thanks Dave,
I have emailed Ralle at Tailor Made so I'm looking forward to hearing from him. Appreciate your help!