Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

covering iron controls

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

covering iron controls

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2015, 08:21 AM
spasmatic
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default covering iron controls

I have three covering irons, a Hobbico (which works fine), a Tower Hobbies and a Covertite iron.The latter two will not turn off. I have to unplug them if I am going to have a long time between use. Has anyone else had this problem and what was the solution. All the irons are past the warranty period.
Old 04-25-2015, 11:24 AM
TLH101
My Feedback: (90)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have never owned a covering iron that would turn off unless unplugged. It's a normal function.
Old 04-25-2015, 11:31 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TLH101
I have never owned a covering iron that would turn off unless unplugged. It's a normal function.
Ditto, I have several different brands and none turn off, must be unplugged to turn them off.
Old 04-25-2015, 01:58 PM
FlyWheel

I have the Coverite and I don't remember a turn off function either, unless it's just a matter of turning the temperature dial all the way down. Perhaps there's a "click turn off" at the bottom of the scale? I never bothered to try.
Old 04-25-2015, 02:27 PM
spasmatic

My covering irons always would go to a cold/room temperature status when the control knob was turned all the way down. Maybe they were an exception to the rule but I did not realize that.
Old 04-25-2015, 06:15 PM
Square Nozzle
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My Hobbico iron comes with instructions for calibrating the dial so the unit shuts off. Basically you turn the dial to full off and loosen the dial set screw and remove the dial. In the center of the exposed post is a hex style adjustment screw. Hold the post and turn the adjusting screw until you hear a soft click. At that point reinstall the dial with the index line at off. Now when you turn the dial clockwise you should hear the click and the iron will be on.
Old 04-25-2015, 11:56 PM
budof561

I never leave anything plugged in at the work bench.
Old 04-26-2015, 08:10 AM
bikerbc

I have a power bar attached to my workbench . when I am finished for the day I can turn the power off to everything . My Irons don't have a off position on their switches .
Old 04-26-2015, 08:35 AM
CK1
My Feedback: (60)

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

I have always unplugged the iron and heat gun when not in use . I dont have an off position on the irons but even if they would turn off I would still unplug . Its just a safety thing for me . It cant short out and burn my shop down if it isn't plugged in.
Old 04-26-2015, 09:45 AM
JollyPopper
My Feedback: (6)

I probably have a half dozen or so irons at any one time. They come and go as I buy and sell and trade. I don't have a favorite and I use whatever one comes to hand at the time. I never paid any attention as to whether they actually had an "off" position, meaning to me that no current would be going to the shoe in that position. But they all cool off to room temperature when turned all the way down and they can be handled by the shoe without worry of getting burned and there is no worry of catching anything on fire. I couldn't care less if they are actually off or not.

I too believe it a good idea to cut the power to everything in the shop before leaving it for any extended period of time.
Old 04-26-2015, 02:06 PM
spasmatic

Thanks to everyone who has replied to this thread. Square Nozzle really came closest to what I was trying to find out. A big surprise to me was the number of people who unplugged their irons and tools. I have power strips and have seven tools plugged in all the time. That has never struck me as an unsafe practice since I don't think I have heard of our modelers having a fire from this source. Of course I am not including charging batteries in that category. The covering irons I have had in the past would always cool to room temp. which I felt was reasonable and I left them plugged up all the time. An exception is the Top Flite trim iron which only has a high and low setting and gets unplugged everytime.
Old 04-26-2015, 05:36 PM
budof561

I have a power strip everything is pluged into that is shut off everynight, but I unplug, cool off, and put it away after use. I try to keep my work area free of clutter. With paint,dope, and glues on the bench I don't want to take a chance off a fire.
Old 04-28-2015, 07:16 AM
FlyWheel

I have a surge protected power strip as well, but seeing as all the electricity for my garage/workshop/hanger is on the same circuit, I make it a point to use no more than two or three things at a time depending on their amperage draw. The entire garage is shut off with the switch at the door, so I never bother to switch off the strip. I do unplug anything I am not using though, why take unnecessary risks?