Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Taigen recoil unit question

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Taigen recoil unit question

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2015, 05:26 PM
sergeantseabass

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Taigen recoil unit question

So i got my new turret assembly for my Taigen M4A3 Sherman. I got everything hooked up with out to much problem but I do have two questions.

1. I got 1 blue wire with a connector attached to it and I can't figure out where it goes. It is not a regular JST pin but it almost looks more like an antenna attachment point. Any one have any thoughts on this.

2. I'm not sure if the recoil is working properly or not. When I go to fire by hold the stick up the cannon will fire and it will recoil. The down side is that if I let go of the stick once the cannon has fired the recoil does not return to battery. It will stay in that position and continue to make the fire sound until i push the stick forward again. The unit will then start to return to battery as long as I hold the stick. Is this how the unit is supposed to function. i thought it would act more like the Tamiya or servo recoil units. I was planning on getting this setup for IR battling at Danville. But if the this is how the recoil unit functions normally then I'll have to put my plans aside for that until Clark or someone comes up with a good servo recoil and elevation setup that I can install.

So if anyone has any thoughts on both of these please share.

Yes I know Taigen IR doesn't play with Taigen and i already have all the pieces nessesary to convert over. unless that is just how the recoil on the Taigen tanks work.

Bill
Old 06-01-2015, 06:16 PM
Tanker 10

Bill the barrel is not returning to it's normal position because it needs a ground. That connector you're speaking of (blue wire) has to connected to a connector that is coming from ground. You can tap into the ground on your power plug that plugs into the RX-18 and then hook it to the blue wire connector. The barrel will now return to normal position after it's recoil.

I have see two ways of grounding on the Taigen IR tanks. One is the way I described above where you can tap into the ground on the power plug. The other is Taigen has produced RX-18's that already has a wire soldered to a ground on the back side of the RX-18 board with a connector attached to it that attaches to the connector (blue wire) coming from the turret. That connector usually has a large piece of shrink wrap on it. to cover the metal connector.

Sorry for the blurry photos.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_5285.JPG
Views:	2332
Size:	1.32 MB
ID:	2099948   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_5286.JPG
Views:	2392
Size:	1.47 MB
ID:	2099949   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_5287.JPG
Views:	2255
Size:	1.39 MB
ID:	2099950   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_5288.JPG
Views:	2119
Size:	1.29 MB
ID:	2099951  

Last edited by Tanker 10; 06-01-2015 at 07:14 PM.
Old 06-02-2015, 05:45 AM
Imex-Erik

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Yes Tanker 10 is correct, it is needing ground to complete operations. The connector is a metal male bullet from a Tamiya connector and is usually tied into ground in the way the picture above dictates (ignore the red cable). You can also attach at the on/off switch if you wish as well. You can splice into the wire and make a bullet/servo type connector for ease of use or you can purchase the IR power cord here: http://www.imex-model.com/product/TA...or.html?cid=90 More connectors and plug types/adapters may show up soon if there is enough interest. I know I always need a few adapters myself

Name:	20150602_093727.jpg
Views:	2127
Size:	3.02 MB
ID:	2100002  
Old 06-02-2015, 08:20 AM
sergeantseabass

Thanks Tanker Ten and Erik. Since i switched from airsoft to IR turret I didn't a unused bullet plug. But at least now I know what that plug is for and I'll be able to correct my problem and get the recoil unit to work as it is supposed to.

Erik that would probably be my only complaint with the swap of the turret. I love the fact that Imex offers parts like that. But I do think that it might be time to also start to think about adding instructions in with certain items like the turret assemblies. Even if the instruction only cover correct wiring of the different wires I think that would be a big help to anyone. just a thought.

Bill
Old 06-02-2015, 08:30 AM
Max-U52

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

I thought that wire was for power to the high intensity flash? When I changed the Tiger One from airsoft to IR I had to add that wire but it went to the red wire coming from the turret and I had to tap into the positive coming from the battery. It works, so what's the deal? What's the difference between the red wire and the blue wire coming from the turret? Is there that much difference between the sherman and the tiger?
Old 06-02-2015, 08:50 AM
sergeantseabass

Couldn't tell you Gary but I just finished hooking up to ground directly on the power switch and it works as intended now. Now it's on to the Mako board installation.

Bill
Old 06-02-2015, 09:59 AM
Shorty54

Originally Posted by Max-U52
I thought that wire was for power to the high intensity flash? When I changed the Tiger One from airsoft to IR I had to add that wire but it went to the red wire coming from the turret and I had to tap into the positive coming from the battery. It works, so what's the deal? What's the difference between the red wire and the blue wire coming from the turret? Is there that much difference between the sherman and the tiger?
My Taigen Tiger I wiring is alot different than my Taigen Sherman.
Old 06-02-2015, 10:01 AM
Shorty54

Originally Posted by Shorty54
My Taigen Tiger I wiring is alot different than my Taigen Sherman.
Ther Sherman and T34 are the same wiring, the Tiger is different.
At least thats how my Taigens are.
Old 06-02-2015, 10:07 AM
Imex-Erik

Originally Posted by sergeantseabass
Thanks Tanker Ten and Erik. Since i switched from airsoft to IR turret I didn't a unused bullet plug. But at least now I know what that plug is for and I'll be able to correct my problem and get the recoil unit to work as it is supposed to.

Erik that would probably be my only complaint with the swap of the turret. I love the fact that Imex offers parts like that. But I do think that it might be time to also start to think about adding instructions in with certain items like the turret assemblies. Even if the instruction only cover correct wiring of the different wires I think that would be a big help to anyone. just a thought.

Bill
This is definitely do-able. After the mid version Tiger 1 launch I dont see an issue with doing a few instructions for some of the tanks, though I may put them online instead, we will have to see there. I might just do a video for each one and put a link in the box to visit. We shall have to see
Old 06-02-2015, 11:33 AM
Green Amphibian

Bill, do a thread on installing the Mako 2 board so I can copy your success. I have one I need to install also. Unfortunately I am an electronic klutz, so I always try to follow someone's installation that has it right.

Herman
Old 06-02-2015, 11:33 AM
sergeantseabass

That would be a good idea.
Old 06-02-2015, 12:01 PM
Max-U52

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Herman, have you checked out the videos at RC Tanks Australia? He has lots of videos for installing the mako and it's sister boards like the RC2TG. In fact, try this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iC7PmY9ZWs
Old 06-02-2015, 02:30 PM
sergeantseabass

No problem Herman. Unfortunately i am having a bit of a problem with the flash unit and the MAKO 2. I sent them a message so once I get that all sorted out I'll put a video up here of the full install into the Taigen Sherman for you Herman. It's kinda weird the flash will work on the test function but it won't work on normal.
Old 06-03-2015, 05:17 AM
sergeantseabass

So does anyone have a pinout diagram for a M4A3 Sherman with the 360 turret. I need to find out what set of wires is used for the micro controller. I have it narrowed down to five but the problem is that those five need to be unplugged from the Taigen MFU in order to attach the MAKO. Kevin at RCTA has been trying to help but so far all i know is that SOMETHING is hooked up wrong. Problem is that I don't know what that something is. I have attached every pictue that i have sent Kevin in the hopes that the forum will know what my mistake in the wiring is.

Thanks for any help that you can give.

Bill

Name:	WP_20150602_006.jpg
Views:	2056
Size:	300.8 KB
ID:	2100237   Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20150602_007.jpg
Views:	1938
Size:	252.9 KB
ID:	2100238   Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20150602_008.jpg
Views:	2187
Size:	303.5 KB
ID:	2100239   Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20150602_009.jpg
Views:	2138
Size:	262.1 KB
ID:	2100240  
Old 06-03-2015, 05:43 AM
Imex-Erik

Check the top right picture in the first photo and make sure your plugs are inserted like that. If not then swap them. Maybe that would fix it... I have a MAKO installed in mine with no issue, the 360 is just a pass through so it shouldn't affect operation. Also in the middle is the upper hull breakout, and the last picture is just a general MB layout for Taigen. The "E" slot is where the recoil is located and specific recoil pins are the last two on the right, in the white square.
Hopefully this helps!

Name:	360 infrared with machine gun.jpg
Views:	3106
Size:	3.29 MB
ID:	2100241   Click image for larger version

Name:	upper hull wiring diagram.JPG
Views:	2904
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	2100242   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tank motherboard layout.jpg
Views:	2194
Size:	1.03 MB
ID:	2100243  
Old 06-03-2015, 06:45 AM
sergeantseabass

Erik Thanks for the pics. I wish I had that when I was hooking up the turret originally. I think if you include that first pic in with all your complete turrets and the 360 ring that would be perfect. Or at least email it to your customers.

Anyway the pics have shown me that with the exception of the flash unit itself everything was hooked up correctly in the stock config. I made this video real quick to try to explain where my problem lies. The problem is with me and I know that. It all has to do with how to wire the Mako in correctly. I hope this video will explain what I did and why it isn't working and that i don't know what i have to change or re wire in order to get the Mako to work correctly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUlXgIQBs_Y&feature=youtu.be
Old 06-03-2015, 08:23 AM
Imex-Erik

Ok sorry if I missed something but I had to skim a bit through...
First, please send Kevin that picture for the 360 kit. I suspect the change from 2 to 1 pin trigger switch may be the issue here.
Second, I'm pretty sure the IR cable coming from the turret plugs into the MAKO board and it plugs into the Taigen board and acts as a pass-through. Check his site/videos on that.
Third, if you still cant get it to work, have Kevin send me an email and I'll see if I can help
Old 06-03-2015, 08:27 AM
sergeantseabass

Thanks Erik. I sent Kevin a link to the vid I posted as well as the 360 install that you posted. I'll try plugging that cable into the Mako. I haven't been able to find anything about using the 360 wiring harness with the Mako but it very well could be the issue. I'll try it out and post my results.
Old 06-03-2015, 11:02 AM
sergeantseabass

OK so thanks to Erik the problem has been solved. Below I have included a video tutorial of the correct hook up of the 360 turret with the Mako2. I have also included a simple step by step guide in case you don't feel like hear me babbling on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0mLS5xDmuc&feature=youtu.be [ATTACH]2100252[/IMG]

I hope this helps someone else

Bill
Attached Files
Old 06-03-2015, 11:17 AM
Imex-Erik

Originally Posted by sergeantseabass
OK so thanks to Erik the problem has been solved. Below I have included a video tutorial of the correct hook up of the 360 turret with the Mako2. I have also included a simple step by step guide in case you don't feel like hear me babbling on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0mLS5xDmuc&feature=youtu.be [ATTACH]2100252[/IMG]

I hope this helps someone else

Bill
Good deal. Glad I could help!
Old 06-03-2015, 06:21 PM
TheBennyB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bill, now you need to get a Remora/Manta setup for battle telemetry. I've got 2 sets I'm gonna bring to Danville in Sept. It's pretty much novelty but the more we have
to experiment with the more we can report back to Kevin with our results and possible improvements.
Old 06-03-2015, 06:34 PM
sergeantseabass

I thought about it. Next step is to put the RC2TG into the Sherman. Once i get all that working well then I just might get the manta/remora setup. It looks interesting. Plus side of the system is the addition of a battery monitor. That is something that I do like about the system. If I don't pick one up by September than i'll definitely be looking at you and your thoughts on it.
Old 06-04-2015, 11:49 AM
Green Amphibian

OK, 1000 questions here. I am not installing a 360 unit in my Taigen IR Jagdpanther, and the Mako 2 unit instructions on line say it wont work with the Taigen 2.4 unless I use my Sony remote and press 9 to set it there. My unit is not marked with a T or anything else. The only things I have done so far is to install a convoy light to the rear plate, moved all of the switches inside, sealed the holes in the lower hull after removing the battery box. I have the original Taigen apple with the Mako 2 led light ring, but I also have a Tamyia unit that I could put in it if necessary to be Tamyia compliant for battling. Will the Taigen battle unit with the Mako 2 enable me to battle Tamyia tanks? Here are a couple of pictures of where I'm at. What else do I need to do or what if anything do I need to undo or change. I have not powered it up yet, but have the remote.

Thanks,
Herman

Name:	Jadgpanther007.jpg
Views:	1976
Size:	582.2 KB
ID:	2100425   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jadgpanther008.jpg
Views:	1879
Size:	541.6 KB
ID:	2100426  

Last edited by Green Amphibian; 06-04-2015 at 12:01 PM.
Old 06-04-2015, 02:44 PM
sergeantseabass

Hey Herman.

How is your light ring hooked up to to the battle unit. The first set of servo pins on the MAKO are for the light ring. the Tamiya apple would be a little easier as far as wires go because you won't have to add another set of wires to light the ring up. When you power the system on it goes into a "program" mode for about 5 secs. If the Mako doesn't receive any commands then it will go into operational mode. When you first power the system on you will see the ring light up and stay solid. That is when you want to push "#9" on the remote. The lights will go out and after a couple of seconds you will see them blink and then go out. you are set up for taigen. Kevin at RCTA will set them to Heng Long by Default if you don't tell him what type of tank that it will be going in. Also it looks like you are putting the MAko in Jagpanther. If that is the case you will also have to set the system for heavy tank as the default is medium. this is "#3" on the remote. you can do all the set up at one time or you can do each one, then cycle the system off and back on.

You can use the taigen system instead of the Tamiya and it is supposed to take hits from all types of IR. But I have heard that the taigen apple isn't to good. Your bet best is to just test once you get the system up and running once you figure it out.

As far as next steps go.
1. wire in the light ring to servo pins 1. on the MAKO
2. turn Mako on and puch the following buttons in sequence #9, #3
3. Pull out hetzer and fire at Mako to make sure that it is receiving hits and fire back at hetzer to make sure it is dealing hits. TheRCTA page talks about ghost hits for tanks over medium class read up on this so you understand what is happening with your tank after five hits.

That should be all you need to get you tank into usable operation, minus any other work that you still have to do on it.

Bill
Old 06-04-2015, 03:15 PM
Green Amphibian

Thanks Bill. I have the light ring plugged in, so now it is just a matter of turning it on and pressing the buttons. Do I have to replace the Taigen IR emitter with a Tamyia one if I use the Tamyia TBU?

Herman

OK, Everything that I have tested so far works. I have not tested the IR functions yet and the sound is very poor in my opinion. The cannon fires every three seconds if I hold the fire control also.

H

Last edited by Green Amphibian; 06-04-2015 at 04:29 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.