Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Why do my wheels fall off?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2015, 06:31 AM
Updating

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why do my wheels fall off?

My wheel nuts keep unscrewing and falling off. Basically, why do my wheels keep falling off..?

I recently installed desperado wheels on my Savage XS. I used the supplied flat Hex mounts. I wasn't able to use the stock wheel washers because they don't fit the inner bore of the wheel. I only have the wheel nuts on and they keep unscrewing. Is this because I'm not using washers?

If it is the lack of washers, can I get any washer at the hardware store or do I need to order something RC specific? Also could it be the wheel nuts?

Thanks in advance...
Old 06-30-2015, 07:48 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

If you're not using nylon lock nuts, start using them. If you are using them, get new ones. I make it a habit of using blue locktite on those wheel nuts too even if they're new. If you can't use nylon lock nuts, then use blue locktite on the existing wheel nuts. My LST2 uses big 17 & 24mm wheel nuts that do not have nylon inserts so I liberally locktite them and they stay put. It's good practice to use blue locktite on any metal on metal screws or nuts on RC cars.

Last edited by 1QwkSport2.5r; 06-30-2015 at 07:52 AM.
Old 06-30-2015, 11:06 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 1QwkSport2.5r
If you're not using nylon lock nuts, start using them. If you are using them, get new ones. I make it a habit of using blue locktite on those wheel nuts too even if they're new. If you can't use nylon lock nuts, then use blue locktite on the existing wheel nuts. My LST2 uses big 17 & 24mm wheel nuts that do not have nylon inserts so I liberally locktite them and they stay put. It's good practice to use blue locktite on any metal on metal screws or nuts on RC cars.
Agree on my 1/8th scale buggy I remember 1st time out my wheel flew off, and rolled over 50 feet away(they stupidly just put a metal nut...). Blue lock tighted it on, and never lost it again.

Would like to add just make sure you use blue, and not red as red you need a torch to heat the metal up a few hundred degrees for it to give.
Old 06-30-2015, 07:06 PM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They have a tendancy to vibrate off no matter which way they're threaded. Either way some sort of threadlock compound will do the trick.
Old 06-30-2015, 10:33 PM
xleilvparc

It's good practice to use blue locktite on any metal on metal screws or nuts on RC cars.
Old 06-30-2015, 10:46 PM
collector1231
My Feedback: (1)

No, you don't need Loctite. Just get some nice locking wheel nuts. The first day of running my Nexx10SC on the track, 2 wheel nuts fell off. Got some of those Jconcepts ones (except in blue), and I didn't touch them for 6 race days one time and they never even loosened. This is nearly 15 minutes a day with a 550 4.5 motor.

http://www.rcplanet.com/JConcepts_Lo...kzDxoCt6Lw_wcB
Old 07-01-2015, 01:26 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Swap those wheels a few times and they'll come loose. I've had it happen. Also, some car models don't use small wheel nuts - like buggies and monster trucks using 17-24mm wheel hexes. Locking nuts in those bigger sizes are heavy. Locktite (blue) on the wheel hexes works every time. But I agree if your car can use lock nuts of reasonable weight/size, use them.
Old 07-01-2015, 05:02 AM
Anthoop

I do not use thread lock on anything...if you are going to use it then my advice would be to only apply a small amount.

There are many ways to keep your nuts tight!

All kinds of serrated nuts/washers...decent nuts/screws/tools..locking tabs/nuts...

I did lose the odd wheel before I found ways to stop it happening...sometimes it can simply be a loose fitting hex/wheel joint.
Old 07-01-2015, 06:37 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

I'm cheap. A small bottle of blue locktite is a few dollars and lasts for a long time. I've not had a wheel nut come off unless I wanted it to. Just don't use the red locktite which is generally permanent.

Whatever works, by all means use it.
Old 07-01-2015, 07:15 AM
EXT2Rob

Originally Posted by collector1231
No, you don't need Loctite. Just get some nice locking wheel nuts. The first day of running my Nexx10SC on the track, 2 wheel nuts fell off. Got some of those Jconcepts ones (except in blue), and I didn't touch them for 6 race days one time and they never even loosened. This is nearly 15 minutes a day with a 550 4.5 motor.

http://www.rcplanet.com/JConcepts_Lo...kzDxoCt6Lw_wcB
YEEOWCH! $14 for four nylocks? (They are nylocks, yes?) What makes them so special? What makes them "locking"?
Old 07-01-2015, 07:37 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by EXT2Rob
YEEOWCH! $14 for four nylocks? (They are nylocks, yes?) What makes them so special? What makes them "locking"?
agree $14 for 4 nuts... gotta love the special magical RC fasteners, and how they ream people with the prices.
And I thought the $1 a piece screws made from gullibanium were expensive.

For $9 I got 2 big bottles of loctite that I have been using for the past 2 years(on way more then just RC's), and have only had to replace it on a nut when I was replacing the tire.
Old 07-01-2015, 12:54 PM
EXT2Rob

If by "locking" they mean those flanged nuts that have some kind of scoring on the side that faces the wheel that is supposed to "dig in" and lock the nut in place, they don't. So don't pay no flippin' $14 for 4 stupid wheel nuts! Either go buy a bag of appropriate sized generic nylock nuts, and replace the worn out ones when they wear out, or, buy a bottle of loctite. 8^)
Old 07-05-2015, 03:10 PM
Mr30Turbo

Go to your local hardware store and buy some thred locker that should fix it.
Old 07-07-2015, 07:13 PM
DieHarder

My locknuts wear out often. Buy new ones.
Old 07-09-2015, 09:05 PM
nitroexpress

No need to spend any money to fix the problem. Use your Dremel tool (everyone has one, right?) and slot the nuts.

http://www.rccaraction.com/blog/2012...p-25-pit-tips/
Old 07-18-2015, 12:34 AM
Guff15

I've had the same issue with my older Ultra GT LX as the hex nuts are smooth on both sides. BUT, my Backdraft hex nuts are ribbed on one side which goes against the wheel. I've had those things off over 3 dozen times and they've yet to come even a tad loose. I plan on getting a set of them for the OFNA, even if Redcat is the only one that sells them.
Old 07-18-2015, 07:49 AM
john01374

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Buy BLUE Loctite like others have suggested. Problem solved and a single tube will last you years.