Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Bought my secont tank! HL M1A2 Abrams (With Taigen gears and electronics)

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Bought my secont tank! HL M1A2 Abrams (With Taigen gears and electronics)

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2015, 06:38 PM
Roboticus_Prime

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Bought my secont tank! HL M1A2 Abrams (With Taigen gears and electronics)

Hey guys! I got a box in the mail!

What's in it you ask? Why a tank of course!

Lets see what's inside...

HL instructions, with decals and antennae this time!!! Yay!

Taigen instructions.

Tank bits.

And there she is!

And that is what comes with the tank.
Old 07-15-2015, 07:27 PM
Roboticus_Prime

When I first popped the lid, I was a bit surprised with the size of the thing.

Here's a side by side with my Pershing.

This thing is HUGE! With plenty of room on the inside for upgrades.

One of the biggest differences between the Heng Long and the Taigen electronics is the volume that the Taigen can pump out is pretty impressive. It was enough to drown out the the smoker.

Speaking of the smoker. It's the only thing that I found an "issue" with. When I was running it, the ammout of smoke was really just meh. So, when I popped the lid to take a look, I noticed that one of the exhaust tubes for the smoker was just a tad long and kinked. Nothing major, and will be an easy "fix."

Old 07-15-2015, 09:40 PM
R|M|D Photography

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very cool man! Where did ya find a HL with the Taigen components?
Old 07-16-2015, 03:39 AM
ausf

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I for one am relieved to see that 'Over 1 tank can play at the same time'. Danville would suck otherwise.

Good luck with the new ride.
Old 07-16-2015, 03:45 AM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Pretty cool, and huge!

Jeff
Old 07-16-2015, 04:16 AM
Roboticus_Prime

Originally Posted by R|M|D Photography

IMEX-Erik has them, just for us
Old 07-16-2015, 07:17 AM
Imex-Erik

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by R|M|D Photography
Modified for you guys by us. We replace the stock nylon gears and add our new ball bearing gearboxes, replace the HL RX-18 and speaker with ours, and add a few small things. We offer the HL Abrams in two versions at this time, even the cheaper version is best to get from us due to the upgrades we make to each one...
-Standard HL Abrams with the Taigen ball bearing steel gearboxes installed with stock HL electronics $229
-HL Abrams with the Taigen ball bearing steel gearboxes install with Taigen electronics installed $299

Even if you plan on not using our system the $229 version is the way to go IMO. If you don't like our gearboxes included you could sell them and still get a nice chunk back from them or use them in a different tank. Then you also get the satisfaction of buying from a trusted seller here in the US with super fast shipping.

Originally Posted by Roboticus_Prime
IMEX-Erik has them, just for us
Yup, I have a small stash of them still sitting around. I'm waiting to see some mods
Old 07-16-2015, 10:31 AM
R|M|D Photography

That's very cool! I had no idea they were that big either!
Old 07-16-2015, 02:47 PM
Lincs Winks Wayne

Originally Posted by Imex-Erik
Modified for you guys by us. We replace the stock nylon gears and add our new ball bearing gearboxes, replace the HL RX-18 and speaker with ours, and add a few small things. We offer the HL Abrams in two versions at this time, even the cheaper version is best to get from us due to the upgrades we make to each one...
-Standard HL Abrams with the Taigen ball bearing steel gearboxes installed with stock HL electronics $229
-HL Abrams with the Taigen ball bearing steel gearboxes install with Taigen electronics installed $299

Even if you plan on not using our system the $229 version is the way to go IMO. If you don't like our gearboxes included you could sell them and still get a nice chunk back from them or use them in a different tank. Then you also get the satisfaction of buying from a trusted seller here in the US with super fast shipping.

Yup, I have a small stash of them still sitting around. I'm waiting to see some mods
Eric:
I am probably interested in one, I have a Clarke M1A1 Tk-22 which may be a nightmare. I made the conversion on the Taigen Tiger 1 kit but it was a fight. Please send some info on shipping and cost to me in Canada, Fort Erie Ontario.
If you send a PM I will return address info.

Wayne
Old 07-16-2015, 04:03 PM
Airbrushler

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Panther F
Pretty cool, and huge!

Jeff
Ya they are "Ginormous...lol
Old 07-16-2015, 06:21 PM
Lincs Winks Wayne

Originally Posted by Lincs Winks Wayne
Eric:
I am probably interested in one, I have a Clarke M1A1 Tk-22 which may be a nightmare. I made the conversion on the Taigen Tiger 1 kit but it was a fight. Please send some info on shipping and cost to me in Canada, Fort Erie Ontario.
If you send a PM I will return address info.

Wayne
OOPPSS!!

Maybe not, I was thinking IR and recoil barrel like my Taigen Tiger 1 Kit. Not BB's

Sorry
Wayne
Old 07-17-2015, 03:50 AM
Max-U52

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Hey Roboticus, is it Chase? Anyway, sorry to go off topic in your thread, but if you take a look at the last video I posted in the backyard battlefield thread you'll see a future project of mine that you may find interesting.

I know it's a long video at 10 minutes, but the part you'll like is very close to the beginning. I think you're even mentioned by name, so now you're famous in Detroit.
Old 07-17-2015, 04:30 AM
Roboticus_Prime

Originally Posted by Max-U52
Hey Roboticus, is it Chase? Anyway, sorry to go off topic in your thread, but if you take a look at the last video I posted in the backyard battlefield thread you'll see a future project of mine that you may find interesting.

I know it's a long video at 10 minutes, but the part you'll like is very close to the beginning. I think you're even mentioned by name, so now you're famous in Detroit.
Don't worry about it, Gary. I can assure you that vid is on my watch list. I'll probably get to it on my lunch.

Yay! Famous!
Old 07-17-2015, 06:22 AM
Roboticus_Prime

I can't wait to see what a professional can do with his Pershing, Gary. I do have a tip though. If you're going the metal suspension route with it, the bracing is a must. Once I added weight past the metal tracks, the hull flexing really throws off track alignment. If that happens the sharp guide horns on the track will pull the rubber tire into the groove of the idler and force the track out.

If you have any questions, just pop over to my Pershing thread

Last edited by Roboticus_Prime; 07-17-2015 at 06:30 AM.
Old 07-17-2015, 07:14 AM
Max-U52

When I get to the M26 your thread will be one of the first ones I read.
Old 07-17-2015, 08:19 AM
Imex-Erik

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Lincs Winks Wayne
OOPPSS!!

Maybe not, I was thinking IR and recoil barrel like my Taigen Tiger 1 Kit. Not BB's

Sorry
Wayne
Np. Taigen is working on our own Abrams just btw. It is pushed back a bit but still planned for release. We had a few other things pop up and decided to fast track those first. We will however have both IR and BB versions when ours releases.
Old 07-17-2015, 10:10 AM
Roboticus_Prime

Hey guys!

I managed to get the tank bits on the Abrams last night. Looks much better.

I also took it for a little test drive out in the back yard. My original plan was to leave it pretty much stock (at least for a little while). Well after seeing how it preforms stock, I decided some slight modifications are in order.

One of the first thing I noticed about the Abrams is that despite it's size, it's very light. While this is good for battery life/wear and tear and all that, it's terrible for traction. I found that even on my fresh cut lawn that it would "float" on top of the grass and get stuck easily. Not to mention that is has little ability to climb.

On a positive note, the rear sprockets don't grab the grass as much as the Pershing, and when it does the Taigen gears have no problem ripping it out.

I think if I just add some weight, it will drive a little better. I don't want to get too crazy with this tank yet, because I want a running tank I can drive while I make some more modifications to my Pershing.

If my son isn't too fussy tonight, I'll try and get an automotive comparison video up between my Pershing and the Abrams.
Old 07-17-2015, 11:50 AM
Max-U52

Hey, RP, first, you never did tell me, is your name Chase? Next, you might want to be careful about powering through stuff with those new gearboxes. A guy I know just got an Imex Tiger One full metal with the new all bearing gearboxes, and for some reason he thought it would be fun to drive it over a pile of laundry. Sure enough (you see what's coming, don't ya?) a towel got caught in the sprocket and the new gearboxes are so strong that when he powered through it ripped the idler right off the back. Now it's at my place for repairs, but he also wants a paint job so maybe I'll do a thread on that. This will be my first commission tank job (done static stuff before but never tanks).

Your Abrams is looking good, do you plan to paint it? You always see the M1 in desert tan, I wonder why no one ever does the European paint scheme? I think that tank would look great in green.

And now you can take the "(coming soon)" out of your signature.

Last edited by Max-U52; 07-17-2015 at 11:52 AM.
Old 07-17-2015, 12:24 PM
Roboticus_Prime

Hey, RP, first, you never did tell me, is your name Chase? Next, you might want to be careful about powering through stuff with those new gearboxes. A guy I know just got an Imex Tiger One full metal with the new all bearing gearboxes, and for some reason he thought it would be fun to drive it over a pile of laundry. Sure enough (you see what's coming, don't ya?) a towel got caught in the sprocket and the new gearboxes are so strong that when he powered through it ripped the idler right off the back. Now it's at my place for repairs, but he also wants a paint job so maybe I'll do a thread on that. This will be my first commission tank job (done static stuff before but never tanks).

Your Abrams is looking good, do you plan to paint it? You always see the M1 in desert tan, I wonder why no one ever does the European paint scheme? I think that tank would look great in green.

And now you can take the "(coming soon)" out of your signature.
Sorry, I'm a bit scatter brained at the moment (lack of sleep). But yes, It's Chase. Don't worry, I try to avoid rough towel terrain

I have seen a few green Abrams around. It makes sense that the desert tan gets all the glory, the Abrams did earn it's fame in the desert after all. I do like the green ones though, they look mean. Not sure about painting yet. I like to get my tanks driving the way I want before making them look the way I want, and I'm only just now getting to that point with my Pershing. Still, I don't plan on heavily modifying the Abrams... yet.

And who says that I'm done buying tanks?
Old 07-17-2015, 04:17 PM
Max-U52

The very first sign of an oncoming nervous breakdown is when you actually start to believe you're done buying tanks.

So what's coming next? For me it's the Jagdtiger! Next month! Woo Hoo!

Last edited by Max-U52; 07-17-2015 at 04:19 PM.
Old 07-17-2015, 05:23 PM
Roboticus_Prime

Not sure. Probably a Sherman or a tamiya Pershing. Depends on cash.
Old 07-17-2015, 06:20 PM
Max-U52

I really wish they'd get with this program!

Old 07-19-2015, 06:57 PM
Roboticus_Prime

I really wish they'd get with this program!

Oh yes! There needs to be more American armor in this Hobby.
Old 07-19-2015, 07:06 PM
Roboticus_Prime

Quick update on the Abrams. I managed to get a few free minutes yesterday to play with my tanks, so I added some weight to the Abrams (a small crescent wrench). Just adding that small amount nearly doubled it's automotive capabilities. It was able to handle grass with no issue.
Old 07-19-2015, 09:02 PM
cleong

Received 78 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Imex-Erik
Np. Taigen is working on our own Abrams just btw. It is pushed back a bit but still planned for release. We had a few other things pop up and decided to fast track those first. We will however have both IR and BB versions when ours releases.
Does said Taigen Abrams come as a lower hull kit with torsion bar suspension?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.