Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Robart air line type quick disconnect issue

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Robart air line type quick disconnect issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2015, 08:24 AM
Killer_Matt
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Robart air line type quick disconnect issue

1[SUP]st[/SUP] let me state that I have no reason to believe this issue is related to Robart in any way. Robart products and service have always met or exceeded my expectations.

I have an aircraft that uses air line quick disconnects between the wing and fuse. The quick connects are commonly known as Robart part #190.
I have used these on many planes and never had a problem before. The failure was between the two connectors not between the air line and the connector.

On my newest plane I’ve experienced 3 failures where the coupling disconnects unexpectedly. The 1[SUP]st[/SUP] time I just assumed I failed to properly connect the parts, they make a distinct click when assembled correctly. The second time was a year later and again I assumed it was my fault. But the third time it occurred the very next day and I was very careful and double checked each connection during assembly.
Since I’ve acquired parts for this plane a long time ago I’m not even sure if I bought genuine Robart parts.
I’ve just ordered new Robart connectors and will install them before I fly this plane again.
My question is has anyone else seen this type of issue? Does anyone know if inferior clones exist? If so has anyone figured out how to detect them?
Old 07-23-2015, 04:03 PM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 225 Likes on 116 Posts

"Robarts" disconnects are just repackaged products. Ive seen the same style disconnect from at least 2 different manufacturers, so its very possible the QC could be worse with one than the other.
Your problem is exactly why i dont use those style disconnects any longer. A small click isnt't enough assurance for me, so i use ones that take multiple turns to thread together. A little more time to hook up, but its better than a small click
Old 07-25-2015, 03:08 AM
DraganRi

invertmast ,
can you show us which connectors are you using ?
thank you
Old 07-25-2015, 03:30 AM
Killer_Matt

invertmast,

Thanks for the feedback. I'd like to know what you are using as well.

I did get the new Robarts today. I will swap them out this morning when at the field.

Thanks,
Matt
Old 07-25-2015, 04:44 AM
IFLYBVM2
My Feedback: (360)

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I must say I always used the Robarts on all my jets and warbirds for the last 20 years, and so far so good. I have never had one leak yet, and the only one that ever came loose is when I did not not properly twist it locked. Of course, it came loose on the ground as soon as I applied air pressure. But like anything else, you can get a bad one. My experience with them has been good over the years.
Old 07-25-2015, 01:08 PM
92ARed1

I had that happen a couple of times- the servo arm for the valve hit them. Route the lines / connectors well away from servos.
Old 07-25-2015, 01:47 PM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 225 Likes on 116 Posts

I appears the ones i use are no longer available... Good thing i have a large stock
Old 07-25-2015, 03:29 PM
Killer_Matt

Well I installed new Robart connectors on my Corsair this morning and carefully tested to make sure they were secure. I then tucked them next to the fuel tank( I have a lot of room, it's not tight). Nothing to get snagged on, no servos in the area. One of the four air lines again came apart. I pulled the wing up and reattached the connector lowered the wing again and again one of the connections came apart. I carefully reconnected the connector and taped all of them with electrical tape. I tested the retracts before each flight and had no issues. I purchased several extra sets of air connectors and sat and played with the extra sets all morning, I still have no idea how they are coming undone. I assume when I tuck them next to the tank they must be unlatching. I see no way they could come apart once snapped together. No way air pressure alone could open them if they are snapped together.

I have several other planes with Robart air retracts and have never had an issue till now. One of the planes has more than 500 fights and I never had an air related retract issue.
Old 08-03-2015, 02:38 PM
Shaun Evans

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi

I've used those for years without issue. I tried a set that came with a plane and they were cheap clones that didn't lock up very well. The genuine Robart ones need to have the line pushed on really well and the twist nice and tight... but when that's done, they've been ultra-reliable. I even use them to connect a wing-mounted main air tank to the fuse-mounted valve. No issues.
Old 08-03-2015, 03:39 PM
Killer_Matt

Well I'm convinced the connectors are fine, so it must be me. I will be paying close attention to them for the foreseeable future.
Old 08-03-2015, 07:09 PM
John Baligrodzki

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also have had similar issues with Robart connectors. Never could figure out if it was me or the connector. Now use a locking connector from Colder Products. I believe it is part: PTC16010. A friend of mine works at a hospital and gets them for me. These lock and will never come apart. Have used them for a few years with no problems.

john
Old 08-04-2015, 09:20 AM
Killer_Matt

FYI while looking into this issue I came to the conclusion once the connector is latched 2 groves are present on the sides of the connector. If you were to place something in the groves then the connector cannot come unlatched. I purchase a few C type clips at the Hardware store, I plan to use them as a pacifier for yours truly. I'll have to upload some pictures when I get home.

Thanks for all your inputs.
Matt
Old 08-04-2015, 10:09 AM
essyou35

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Ive had them randomly disconnect on me, maybe once out of 50 flights. Probably user error.
One time it cause some damage on landing because me gear were only partially deployed.
Old 08-04-2015, 10:38 AM
Killer_Matt

John,
Old 08-04-2015, 10:40 AM
Killer_Matt

John,

I looked up those connectors online. They look very nice, I especially like the lock feature along with the fact it contains 2 sets of airlines in one connector. I ordered couple and will let you know how they work out.

Thanks
Matt
Old 08-04-2015, 11:59 AM
Hot Rod Todd
My Feedback: (1)

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I've used these many years with no issues. Recently one of the guys at the field had one come apart. Upon inspection, we realized they did not "snap" together as well as most we have seen. They were Robart parts, not any type of clone. It seems that there is inconsistency in the quality of the Robart connectors, especially recently. Make sure you have a pair that snaps together firmly. If they don't, it's much more likely that they could come apart in flight.
Old 08-04-2015, 12:06 PM
RCFlyerDan
My Feedback: (54)

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

They are more expensive, but I use 3mm Festos, but beware, they don't work with Robart air line. Just 3mm OD airlines as sold by BVM.
Old 08-04-2015, 12:27 PM
Hot Rod Todd
My Feedback: (1)

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Dreamworks sells 1/8" OD Festo connectors that work with the Robart line. They work very nice and would be reliable. I use them when I need a quick disconnect for problem landing gear.

http://www.dreamworksrc.com/catalog/...ight-Connector
Old 08-04-2015, 01:19 PM
Killer_Matt

So as promised here is a picture of the clips I plan to test on my air line connections. These clips are intended to keep the connectors from un-locking. by sitting in the grove which is present once the connectors a clicked (Latched).

The left clip is the least expensive at $ 0.23 each it appears to work very well and is easy to put on and take off, on the downside it's easy to bend(this is my first choice). The Clip on the right is made of spring steel and is easy to get on but more difficult to remove, I have a tool I can use for the removal if needed. I don't remember the cost. The picture of the connector by itself shows the slot that the clip is intended to fit in.

Obviously you have to have room in the plane where the clips won't snag on anything important.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20150804_155514_resized.jpg
Views:	673
Size:	921.5 KB
ID:	2112884  

Last edited by Killer_Matt; 08-04-2015 at 01:24 PM.
Old 08-04-2015, 02:28 PM
RCFlyerDan
My Feedback: (54)

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

Hot Rod! Thanks! Didn't know that they carried 1/8th. Just used to China and Germany/Europe changing us to metric, whether we like it or not, due to kits coming mostly from them. DreamWorks is great!
Old 08-11-2015, 09:29 AM
Killer_Matt

This last weekend I setup the plane on two days using the clips and didn't have any issues.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Retract ail line clips.jpg
Views:	551
Size:	774.0 KB
ID:	2113933