Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

My M51 attempt.

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2015, 04:28 PM
trackmech81

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My M51 attempt.

I started with a Tamiya lower, mix of Sherman and KV1 Tamiya electronics, Mato cast type upper hull, and as many M51 aftermarket parts I could find.
So far I have had the fun of cutting the engine deck and have been trying to graft in an East Coast Armory deck modified to 1973 (batch 2) configuration. In the end, it will not be a carbon copy of the M51,but will be as close as I can get. I do need suggestions on adding rotation to the turret using Tamiya turret on Mato hull. I have some ideas but experience input would help.

Last edited by trackmech81; 07-26-2015 at 04:36 PM.
Old 07-26-2015, 04:45 PM
trackmech81

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150726_203015_318.jpg
Views:	465
Size:	778.1 KB
ID:	2111233  
Old 07-26-2015, 07:13 PM
tomhugill

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

My advice is to use the mato rotation unit and turret ring. What m51 components have you managed to get?
Old 07-27-2015, 12:31 AM
trackmech81

So far I have the rear panel and exhaust set, rear phone box, barrel rest, engine deck, drive sprocket,spare road wheel mounts, and Tamiya turret.
Old 07-27-2015, 03:35 AM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by trackmech81
I started with a Tamiya lower, mix of Sherman and KV1 Tamiya electronics, Mato cast type upper hull, and as many M51 aftermarket parts I could find.
So far I have had the fun of cutting the engine deck and have been trying to graft in an East Coast Armory deck modified to 1973 (batch 2) configuration. In the end, it will not be a carbon copy of the M51,but will be as close as I can get. I do need suggestions on adding rotation to the turret using Tamiya turret on Mato hull. I have some ideas but experience input would help.

I agree with Tom that as long as your rotation mounts are still intact on the upper hull to go with the Mato rotation unit and turret ring. BUT... adding styrene posts to the front portion of the hull for the Tamiya rotation system is not that hard, since you are using a Tamiya turret.

Looking forward to more pictures.

Jeff
Old 07-27-2015, 04:28 AM
ausf

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=Panther F;12075754]adding styrene posts to the front portion of the hull for the Tamiya rotation system is not that hard, since you are using a Tamiya turret.[QUOTE]

That's what I did on the T-34 conversion. The Tamiya M4 turret ring fit directly into the Trump '76 turret, so I just aligned everything and added posts for the rotation motor and retaining rollers.
Old 07-27-2015, 06:33 AM
trackmech81

I will probably use the Tamiya stuff and add posts. The hull I have was bare so no turret parts.
Old 07-27-2015, 07:11 AM
ausf

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I will probably use the Tamiya stuff and add posts. The hull I have was bare so no turret parts.
Here's a thread I did on mine, first two pics give you an idea of how easy it is. I just used a mass of epoxy putty, but a much cleaner method can be done as well. The cross brace was to help with flex but also as an anchor point for a spring hooked on to the turret ring bracket. The spring holds the turret in place since there's no slotted retainer.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-t...-brace-p2.html
Old 07-27-2015, 08:22 AM
tomhugill

So far I have the rear panel and exhaust set, rear phone box, barrel rest, engine deck, drive sprocket,spare road wheel mounts, and Tamiya turret.
where did you get the schumo bits? And do they have any more?!?
Old 07-27-2015, 09:10 AM
Panther F

Originally Posted by ausf
Here's a thread I did on mine, first two pics give you an idea of how easy it is. I just used a mass of epoxy putty, but a much cleaner method can be done as well. The cross brace was to help with flex but also as an anchor point for a spring hooked on to the turret ring bracket. The spring holds the turret in place since there's no slotted retainer.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-t...-brace-p2.html

Ah yes... your T-34 build. I REALLY enjoyed that one! Hard to believe it was 2 years ago... time is just flying by.

I agree using an epoxy of some sort to anchor the posts after securing them with a good plastic welder.

Jeff
Old 07-27-2015, 10:59 AM
trackmech81

I ordered most from Axels-modellbau-shop.de and ETO Armor. That was last year and I heard the parts are hard to get now.
Old 07-27-2015, 02:45 PM
tomhugill

I ordered most from Axels-modellbau-shop.de and ETO Armor. That was last year and I heard the parts are hard to get now.
Ah yeah, it's a shame you can't get the bits any more, I managed to get the last Jerry can holders off axels but no travel lock etc and axles has said they won't be making any more
Old 07-29-2015, 01:27 PM
trackmech81

I fear I am going a little insane each time I touch this build. Trying to mate the Tamiya turret with the Mato hull is so much more than I anticipated. If I had known about using the HL rotation prior to ordering all my parts I would have gone that route but I have spent a few dollars on what I have. The thought has crossed my mind to just use the welded hull and move on, but the cast still looks better to me and it is what I want for now.
Old 07-29-2015, 09:44 PM
RichJohnson

Received 374 Likes on 238 Posts

Oh man, I would have recommended using a Heng long turret it would fit right on and run with the rotation system. Easy to bash etc.
I would strongly consider you stop, evaluate how much work that Tamiya turret is going to be, trust me I have merried mismatched turrets and hulls along with several now custom Nick Aguilar urethane hulls and turrets.

I suggest you set the Tamiya turret and rotation aside and get a Henglong m4 turret. I might even have one I can spare for you. Then proceed with the build on that turret and rotation system.
Im sure we all can help you piece that together.

By the Way, the Henglong rotation is much stronger than the Tamiya.

EDIT, if your not going to use Tamiya electronics, and anticipate using a servo for elevation and or barrel recoil, go to my profile, click on latest started threads, go to my m4a1 build and see how I put servo elevation and recoil into a henglong turret and textured it to look like a real casting.

Last edited by RichJohnson; 07-29-2015 at 09:51 PM.
Old 07-30-2015, 02:59 AM
Panther F

I fear I am going a little insane each time I touch this build. Trying to mate the Tamiya turret with the Mato hull is so much more than I anticipated. If I had known about using the HL rotation prior to ordering all my parts I would have gone that route but I have spent a few dollars on what I have. The thought has crossed my mind to just use the welded hull and move on, but the cast still looks better to me and it is what I want for now.

What do you need? What is the hurdle that is threatening to derail this from happening? Let me know how I can be of some assistance, I mean Jeff and I (ausf) have done it before so don't let the invested parts go to waste or change the hull. The Mato/HL rotation is okay but the Tamiya system can be grafted in without any issues.

Jeff
Old 07-30-2015, 03:57 AM
trackmech81

Thank you for the offers and support. I was getting frustrated and bogged down but set it all aside and let my mind rest. The issue was I made a template of the cutout in the Tamiya hull for the turret and then traced and cut the NATO hull to accept the M51 turret. That was easy and had no issues. Next I countersunk three Allen screws and added nylon spacers to act as the studs the turret guide wheels mounted on. Again no problem. When I set the turret I discovered the new "Super Sherman" has a bigger ring gear and will not clear the rollers. I started to move my screws, but realized after drilling it was visible on the hull and have holes to patch. When I woke up I had a idea pop in and once I patch my swiss cheese hull, I am moving on and using what I have with a better roller and rotation mount idea.
Old 12-11-2017, 07:00 AM
trackmech81

Back in Action. New phone is giving me a fit with uploaing pictures, but I have turret installed and rotation worked out. Also did a little more work on details, found printed fuel can holders, and IDF cans. I do need the two Spare wheels from sprue Y and AAF is showing out of stock while Jason's store site is down. I hope to be done building in a few weeks and on to paint
Old 12-11-2017, 08:49 PM
trackmech81

Found the parts needed. Im stoked to get this done. For the turret drive mount I used the posts off the Tamiya M4 kit and attached with a mix of super glue and baking soda. I layered this and built up around the posts till it was stong enough I could pick up the hull by the post and shake it with nothing cracking or coming off. Tonight i am filling the last of the old mato detail attachment holes and sanding everything smooth.
Old 12-12-2017, 07:19 AM
Cruiser133

I ran into the same issues as you with regard to the turret and hull. Ain't it a b@tch to learn that first time the turret ring gears are different? Of course that throws everything else off as well as the rollers are spaced differently. I ended up making a plate to mount the smaller ring to the M51 turret so I didn't have to mess around with moving the rollers or rotation motor. I also bought quite a few parts at Shapeways from Woz.
Old 12-12-2017, 11:43 AM
trackmech81

Had I known going into this build, I would have used the mato hull and turret, but I am stuborn and wanted a challenge. I didnt expect a 2 year delay but most of that was life and family. Now tha things settled down I tackled it and I guess between the many skilled builders here nd articles online the answer just showed itself and worked.
Old 12-15-2017, 03:54 PM
hemi

Trackmech81
Keep up the good work. I built an M51 using a Tamiya M51 as a starting point and then spent a couple of years modifying and building it. Really fun. The jerry can holders were challenging but made a big difference. Here is a couple pictures of mine. Enjoy the process🤗
Old 12-15-2017, 04:11 PM
hemi

Having issues uploading photo

Name:	1D57C559-B6C3-4F54-BFFD-44251E059B62.jpeg
Views:	53
Size:	756.8 KB
ID:	2247754  
Old 12-15-2017, 04:15 PM
hemi

Here is a better shot

Name:	54C4A152-AB31-495D-A68C-68D6D74C867A.jpeg
Views:	60
Size:	484.4 KB
ID:	2247756  
Old 12-15-2017, 06:57 PM
RichJohnson

Received 374 Likes on 238 Posts

Very cool. Ive been working on the idea of doing an M50. M4a4 hull with Tamiya chassis and early turret. The M50 gun update and early engine deck.
I also have a mato tank sitting here that has a 3d printed T23 on it from DKLM. While the T23 is 3d printed, it shares the same ugly characteristics as the mato turret. They just copied it more or less. But it has integral servos for elevation and recoil that come mounted.
I have already adapted a taigen T23 to the mato hull very easily. It looks great and works well. Was thinking of some way to make use of the mato hull and chassis.
Carry on I look forward to this, Shermans look good in sand color
Old 12-16-2017, 09:49 AM
trackmech81

Hey Hemi, I like the fenders. I have learned a lot and cant wait to get done so I can do my T55

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.