Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Sticky gas review

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2015, 08:17 AM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sticky gas review

Since I am resurrecting an old engine that has sat in a garage for the last 5 years where the temperature sometimes exceeded 140 degrees I decided to review the information in the #1 sticky. There is a lot of good information in there. The only thing I would disagree with is the use of nyrod for throttle control.
I have found nyrod has never been good for anything. Especially where you have temperature extremes. Even in the days of 72 I always used a steel cable that was isolated from the engine with a plastic connector. The notion that RF would travel down the cable is nonsense.
I note that TOM(Tired old man) advises never to remove or disconnect the spring on the carb.
I reconnected the spring on my carb and measured the servo current required to maintain a throttle position. It is just a few miliamps. I intend to use just a cable pull and spring return from now on. It simplifies things.
Old 08-29-2015, 08:27 AM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

I agree with your observations on return springs. A couple years ago I did tests and published a spread sheet on a variety of servos connected to several different carbs. Like you I noted the current required to hold position or pull against the throttle spring was minimal. Far less in fact than what is required to hold up the weight of a large aileron or elevator at rest. My conclusions like Tom's were that there are benefits to leaving the spring in place and connected and few if any benefits for removing it.

Some people choose to believe this, some not ........
Old 08-29-2015, 08:33 AM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I think the bigger point is not to remove that spring. Regarding leaving it connected vs. not, suit yourself. No harm done either way IMHO.
Old 08-29-2015, 09:11 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

+1
Old 08-29-2015, 10:34 AM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

I disconnected springs for years until I saw the error of my ways.
Old 08-29-2015, 03:59 PM
All Day Dan

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

"The notion that RF would travel down the cable is nonsense." Dirty, I was taught that's the way antennas work. Maybe the physics of RF is wrong. Dan.
Old 08-29-2015, 06:15 PM
dirtybird

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Physics is not wrong. You just are not considering the whole story. To be an antenna it needs to be connected to the source. To be a reflector it needs to be a multiple of 1/4 wavelength of the frequency in question. Even if it is there would be very little energy transfer to the receiving antenna. TY antennas use this but they need to be a precise length and a precise space from the main antenna
If you use a metal connector to the engine static buildup on the wire results in sparks when the connector breaks from the engine due to vibration. The wire then becomes a radiator.The only thing you need to do is isolate the wire from the engine with a plastic connector
Old 08-30-2015, 09:58 AM
All Day Dan

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks, Dan