Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Spectrum

Old 09-16-2015, 07:44 AM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spectrum

There is a long closed thread deprecating Spectrum.
I don't own Spectrum or never have used it.
But as a retired engineer I know equipment that has been on the market as long as Spectrum has most be doing something right and the people having trouble with it must be doing something wrong.
That closed thread should be deleted, not closed.
Old 09-16-2015, 07:54 AM
sro2004

It was fun while it lasted. I think in reality, anyone who read through the entire thread would realize it's much to do about nothing. One man's opinion with no testing to back his position. I did learn about ServoCity and their servo power board, so for me, the thread contained valuable information.
Old 09-16-2015, 12:44 PM
An-2o

People always say its the pilots installation that causes all their problems which is true, but in our club of 10-15 members all but 2 have spectrum radios and the other 2 have futaba radios which i'm one of those 2. All I know is when there is a problem with a brownout which isn't very often everybody that "day" that flies spectrum have glitches and lost signals but the 2 guys flying futaba don't, so it's fishy that if one guy has a brownout or glitches that day that everyone that flies with spectrum has a problem/glitch that day so it can't be installation problems in all cases. Its kinda funny when those guys keep saying they where hit with glitches and problems and tell me and the other guy to be careful but so far have never had any problems with anything we just go out and fly!
Old 09-16-2015, 01:33 PM
dirtybird

Brownouts are problem with the installation.
Other problems with the installation can cause glitches.On electrics the ESC can cause it.
Bad servos can cause it.
Reflections from a metal fence can cause it.
The radio supplied with a reliable source is probably the most reliable piece of equipment you have in there.
Old 09-16-2015, 01:49 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 343 Likes on 274 Posts

We discussed it internally and I cleaned it up and reopened it.

There is some valid technical information there and anyone is entitled to their opinion.
Old 09-16-2015, 03:42 PM
dirtybird

I wouldn't call it an opinion. I would call it a defamation.
Old 09-16-2015, 04:35 PM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by dirtybird
I wouldn't call it an opinion. I would call it a defamation.

In order to defame Spektrum , the gent would have had to lead folks to believe something that is not true .

In this case , not one opinion was changed , either pro or anti Spektrum , because no real proof was offered of the supposed defect .

The guys who liked Spektrum before that thread was posted , still do , and the guys who hate Spektrum have likewise done so for far longer than the "supposed defect" thread has been in print . The guy stirred up a bunch of wind and noise , but when push came to shove the proof wasn't posted and he lost major cred in my opinion . Looking objectively at it , the guy should have waited to post his thread till he was ready to post the video right there in the first post .
Old 09-16-2015, 05:41 PM
5skyhawk172

Originally Posted by init4fun
In order to defame Spektrum , the gent would have had to lead folks to believe something that is not true .

In this case , not one opinion was changed , either pro or anti Spektrum , because no real proof was offered of the supposed defect .

The guys who liked Spektrum before that thread was posted , still do , and the guys who hate Spektrum have likewise done so for far longer than the "supposed defect" thread has been in print . The guy stirred up a bunch of wind and noise , but when push came to shove the proof wasn't posted and he lost major cred in my opinion . Looking objectively at it , the guy should have waited to post his thread till he was ready to post the video right there in the first post .
+1
Old 09-17-2015, 05:42 AM
dirtybird

I believe he did just that.
The moderator says everyone is entitled to their opinion. This is my opinion.
Old 09-17-2015, 07:59 AM
kurtataltos

The OP had a personal agenda. That agenda was to denigrate Spektrum any way possible. The OP offered "proof" of a design flaw but never gave it. He rudely insulted responders who didn't agree with him. He has one particular lapdog assistant poster to helped flame the anti-Spektrum sentiment. Regardless, had he provided anything of actual substance regarding the circuit design (that he said he told Spektrum about) then there might be merit to his perspective and we would all appreciate it. But not once did he ever come forth with proof of a design flaw. His convenient excuse is health and age yet he is still capable of spewing the same old mantra. Selective ethics. It's sour grapes from someone with internet access, an agenda, a bias and nothing else to do. Nothing more. Nothing less. The OP's credibility is zero The moderators took too long to shut that thread down, only to restart it (?).
Old 09-17-2015, 10:49 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

^^^ My sentiments exactly. IMHO the moderators should have left it shut down and should delete this one.
Old 09-20-2015, 06:37 AM
dirtybird

He is keeping the thread alive with multiple posts.
In his first post he says he lost dozens of airplanes with Spektrum. I would think he would look for the cause after maybe two. (not dozen). He says he has a research lab. Why not get a spectrum analyzer and look for the cause?
Old 09-20-2015, 08:24 AM
kurtataltos

The long standing joke with the original thread is that the OP says he has videos (never produced) and knows the cause (never provided). A video is worthless. It shows what happens AFTER the failure occurs. OP says he knows the design flaw. Videos will show nothing but the end result (if a video exists) of a supposed design flaw (if it exists), not the root cause.

OP is a blowhard that needs to take more care when using his meds or recreational drugs. As previously noted, if there was substance to his claim then the RC world would thank him. As it is, he has been reduced to troll status. He has his internet access and people willing to reply directly to his claims, which he ignores, just insulting everyone who disagrees with him. It's rather pathetic.

In the bigger picture of reality, why has RCUniverse allowed that thread to continue? There is nothing constructive or beneficial to be had. Posters have written that they are tired of the thread and unfounded claims. The moderators need to take a look at what is being posted and respond in a way that benefits the board and the sport. I stopped replying or reading that thread as the OP is delusional. Responding to the OP just allows him to continue to troll.
Old 09-20-2015, 12:28 PM
BarracudaHockey

We don't/can't close threads or delete them because we disagree with the content or find it factually lacking. I have hundreds and hundreds of flights with equipment he claims to be faulty.

That isn't against the rules.

The 20 or so posts that have been deleted ARE and those have been removed.

Can you imagine if I had to fact check every post here? It's been looked at by the highest levels.
Old 09-20-2015, 12:40 PM
dirtybird

Its obvious its not just his opinion. His purpose is to claim there is some mysterious problem that the manufacturer won't fix,. Ultimately he is trying to drive them out of business. This should not be permitted.
Old 09-20-2015, 02:10 PM
kurtataltos

BarracudaJockey, you are correct. You are absolutely correct as you can't read every post and can't let personal perspectives intervene. OP's abusive posts, however, might be considered for flushing.

I believe dirtybird has a point (to a degree). I believe the OP is trying set up a scenario where he can claim that "based on 100's of posts on a forum....",.... blah, blah, blah. I don't know if it's tainted towards a legal suit or if the OP just wants to taint Spektrum based on pure sour grapes. Considering all his bombastic claims and grand rhetoric, in just demeans his credibility and encourages the rest of us move on.
Old 09-20-2015, 10:02 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dirtybird
Its obvious its not just his opinion. His purpose is to claim there is some mysterious problem that the manufacturer won't fix,. Ultimately he is trying to drive them out of business. This should not be permitted.
I don't think we have to worry about one person posting on RCU driving a large company like Horizon out of business.
Old 09-22-2015, 06:57 AM
dirtybird

Hurrah for RCKEN
Old 09-23-2015, 01:28 PM
Stevojet
My Feedback: (1)

What do I do with my DX18QQ?
I fly turbines and recently lost an Extra (not a turbine). When I got the wreckage back and plugged the receiver in it would bind but the servos were all unresponsive to any input. They all still worked otherwise.
So I pulled out another plane and same thing, radio would bind but no servo input response. The monitor screen on the transmitter registered movement of all control inputs properly. My receivers are all Spectrum DSMX 8 and 12 channels. I have several.
I sent the radio off to HH with the receiver and they were kind enough to give me a new receiver, but could not find anything wrong with the radio. They did update the firmware for me.
Now what? I could try a foamy and see what gives, but am reluctant to trust it with anything else.
I like Spectrum and do not want to change. Another possibility would be buy a new DX18 and shelve the QQ but I am not crazy about that solution.
Steve
Old 09-23-2015, 01:55 PM
dirtybird

I do not own Spektrum equipment. Does it have telemetry?
I can understand that you have lost confidence if you have had a crash.
If it has telemetry, just arrange to log it and fly it in a foamy and watch the received signal level. If would help to also monitor the battery voltage.
If it dont have telemetry, go to Pololu.com and get one of their switches. It will allow you to put backup radio in that you can switch in if the spektrum fails.Then fly the pants off of it.

Here is the switch i mentioned:
https://www.pololu.com/product/2806

Last edited by dirtybird; 09-23-2015 at 02:01 PM. Reason: add link
Old 09-25-2015, 02:23 PM
AirmanBob
My Feedback: (14)

"DIRTYBIRD" .... You claim you don't own and have never used Spektrum equipment and yet you get on here and basically badmouth those of us who do own Spektrum and have had legitimate problems with it. You basically are saying that since none of us have a degree in electrical engineering we couldn't possibly know what we are talking about.

I don't understand your motives. Do you just want to get in and stir up trouble with your opinion on a subject you know nothing about? I believe that is called being a TROLL.

If a thread should be closed, it should be this one!!!

Bob (Spektrum user)
Old 09-26-2015, 07:13 AM
dirtybird

Originally Posted by AirmanBob
"DIRTYBIRD" .... You claim you don't own and have never used Spektrum equipment and yet you get on here and basically badmouth those of us who do own Spektrum and have had legitimate problems with it. You basically are saying that since none of us have a degree in electrical engineering we couldn't possibly know what we are talking about.

I don't understand your motives. Do you just want to get in and stir up trouble with your opinion on a subject you know nothing about? I believe that is called being a TROLL.

If a thread should be closed, it should be this one!!!

Bob (Spektrum user)
In thinking about it I should provide a better answer.
I can understand your frustration. You have spent all of that money and you have a crash.
Then a know it all like me comes along and says you must be the one at fault,not the MFG.
Please go back and read my first post.

Last edited by dirtybird; 09-26-2015 at 07:38 AM. Reason: Change answer
Old 09-26-2015, 05:14 PM
AirmanBob
My Feedback: (14)

I read your first post.... It basically says the MFG is always right and only builds perfect equipment. And we users of said equipment are mostly wrong and don't know how to set up a model. Even though some of us have been building and flying R/C models for 50 years. I guess we'll never get the hang of it !!!!

Yes, your posts do sound like they're coming from a know it all. I'm sure you don't know it all.... but you want to sound like you do and you're doing a fine job.

Buy a Spektrum and join the club.

And, you are very perceptive... I'm not an EE. So I'm not qualified to recognize a brown-out or a signal fade.

Bob
Old 09-27-2015, 06:35 AM
dirtybird

bye

Last edited by dirtybird; 09-27-2015 at 01:06 PM. Reason: cleanup
Old 09-27-2015, 10:40 AM
BarracudaHockey

The last two posts are scratching the border of personal attacks so lets tone it down. Thats why the original thread that spawned this one got nixed.

Any further posts that question others IQ etc will be gone w/o notice.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.