Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Need ideas on how to make this happen-Boy Scouts teaching Aviation Merit Badge

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Need ideas on how to make this happen-Boy Scouts teaching Aviation Merit Badge

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2015, 06:32 PM
PLANE JIM
My Feedback: (109)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need ideas on how to make this happen-Boy Scouts teaching Aviation Merit Badge

I have been asked to teach 10 boys the aviation merit badge in a inner city Boy Scout Troop. I met with the Scouts today for the first time and they have decided they would like to build a model demonstrating aerodynamics. These models do not need to be RC but must be powered with battery or fuel. Any ideas out there? The main obstacle I am trying to overcome is the costs associated with this endeavor and the Troop not able to help participate to defray costs and the boys or the families having the same restraints.-Thanks for any ideas-Jim
Old 10-03-2015, 07:15 PM
countilaw

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jim,
If these planes are a study in aerodynamics they would need to be able to fly. If so, the we are talking about Free Flight planes.

Just a suggestion, Guillows kits converted from rubber power to electric might work. The small electric motors are not expensive nor are the 1s lipo batteries.

Then I would also suggest, making a visit to your local hobby shop and see if they could help with the cost. Due to the reason that if these kids build one, they may go back and buy more.

Frank
Old 10-04-2015, 08:36 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Two things come to mind here , money wise ;

First . have you contacted the AMA to see if they have any programs geared to teaching youngsters about aviation ?

Second , maybe your club (presuming you are a member of an RC club) could run a fundraiser to help defray the costs ?
Old 10-04-2015, 12:41 PM
Rob2160

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very noble of you Jim to help the boys this way.

Is there a requirement that the project be an aircraft? Perhaps they would enjoy building a multicopter? Mine seem to attract far more interest from kids than my planes ever did.

Plenty of interesting aerodynamics associated with those also and enough stages to a kit build that each of them could be directly involved. (e.g. frame assembly, soldering / programming 4 x ESCs, prop balancing, flight controller set up etc. )

I'll donate a frame, motors, ESCs and flight controller to this good cause if you decide to go this way. Let me know. (I'm in Australia but will ship to you at my own expense)

Something like this... (A full build tutorial video is also on the listing)

http://www.myrcmart.com/h450q-quadco...op-p-8013.html

edit: I see in dw1's post below the requirements are 'model airplane'

Last edited by Rob2160; 10-04-2015 at 04:58 PM.
Old 10-04-2015, 01:02 PM
PLANE JIM

Rob-I appreciate the generous offer-I am thinking about going back to the boys and suggesting that we need to have little fund raising exercise to accomplish our goals-the two points this will help them understand and I hope to accomplish;

1. that it will give the boys a real life experience in being able to raise money on their own to buy what they desire (like a life mini-lesson)
2. that they will take ownership in their own individual models and give the feeling accomplishment (similar to what we feel when we complete a model)

I know these are big ideas-but looking at most of these boys surroundings and environment maybe we can help make a difference.
Old 10-04-2015, 01:06 PM
Rob2160

Originally Posted by PLANE JIM
Rob-I appreciate the generous offer-I am thinking about going back to the boys and suggesting that we need to have little fund raising exercise to accomplish our goals-the two points this will help them understand and I hope to accomplish;

1. that it will give the boys a real life experience in being able to raise money on their own to buy what they desire (like a life mini-lesson)
2. that they will take ownership in their own individual models and give the feeling accomplishment (similar to what we feel when we complete a model)

I know these are big ideas-but looking at most of these boys surroundings and environment maybe we can help make a difference.
That sounds like a great plan Jim and please keep us posted on the outcome.
Old 10-04-2015, 02:03 PM
dw1
My Feedback: (3)

Jim --

I have taught many Aviation Merit Badge classes and while building a fuel or battery aircraft is one option in the curriculum, the other is to build a FPG-9 (Foam Plate Glider). Although not as glamorous an option, it is an acceptable one; especially considering the cost and time constraints. If you haven't already, you should review the merit badge requirements to get insight on what's required for the badge. Here's the link: https://www.meritbadge.org/wiki/index.php/Aviation.
Old 10-04-2015, 05:03 PM
049flyer
My Feedback: (18)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Control line? 1/2A? Millions of 1/2A engines out there, I'll bet you can get all you need from the members on this forum for free. You can build the planes for peanuts. Much can be learned from simple control line airplanes and Cox engines.

http://www.aeromaniacs.com/Platterins.html

If you decide to go down this path I will donate an engine or two to the cause.
Old 10-04-2015, 06:37 PM
azalner
My Feedback: (8)

Jim,

send me a PM and I will arrange to forward a Power Point presentation on aerodynamics geared to the Cub Scout (10 - 11 year old level). Also some interesting experiments to demo aerodynamics.

Al
Old 10-04-2015, 08:02 PM
PLANE JIM

Originally Posted by dw1
Jim --

I have taught many Aviation Merit Badge classes and while building a fuel or battery aircraft is one option in the curriculum, the other is to build a FPG-9 (Foam Plate Glider). Although not as glamorous an option, it is an acceptable one; especially considering the cost and time constraints. If you haven't already, you should review the merit badge requirements to get insight on what's required for the badge. Here's the link: https://www.meritbadge.org/wiki/index.php/Aviation.
Thanks I am familiar with the badge requirements-The Scout's made the decision what the would like to pursue-The Scouts decide on what route they choose to accomplish the requirements within the guidelines(There are several options).

I really support the idea of boys making the decision in what route they choose as a group-it's boy lead and teaches them many things besides just fulfilling the academic requirements of the badge itself.
Old 10-05-2015, 08:27 AM
ma_mulcahy

Plane Jim - Bravo to you for taking this on!

I have another opportunity for you to consider. The Experimental Aircraft Association (EAA) has a program called the Young Eagles program that has been running for more than 20 years that provides free airplane rides for youngsters. May I suggest you contact them at 800-564-6322 so they can put you in touch with a chapter in your area that provides flights.
Old 10-05-2015, 12:20 PM
PLANE JIM

Mike-that's a great idea I believe-That would be a real reward for these young men in completing the merit badge-I will contact them -Thanks for the idea.
Old 10-05-2015, 03:00 PM
dw1
My Feedback: (3)

Thanks I am familiar with the badge requirements-The Scout's made the decision what the would like to pursue-The Scouts decide on what route they choose to accomplish the requirements within the guidelines(There are several options).

I really support the idea of boys making the decision in what route they choose as a group-it's boy lead and teaches them many things besides just fulfilling the academic requirements of the badge itself.
I agree with your comments fully. I wasn't sure if you were aware of the options. If the scouts choose a more costly route then you're on-track with having them raise the funds to support their choice; or perhaps solicit for donations from hobby shops or manufacturers. Good luck.
Old 10-05-2015, 03:14 PM
Krumpel

Check out the Flite Test site for ideas on the CHEAP. Lots of airframes made of Dollar Store foam board and hot glue. Plan downloads are free and the folks there are all about sharing the hobby with youngsters. Most builds have u-tube video directions which makes things really simple.

Check it out here:

http://www.flitetest.com/

Good luck!!!
Old 10-05-2015, 03:46 PM
jeffEE
My Feedback: (5)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I wish I had more to add, other than a pat on the back for taking on this project. The ideas I had have already been given. But I also wanted to thank the people that have offered ideas/time/money/motor/etc. to this project. This is the best part of RCUniverse.
Oh.. how about the local hobby shops? A donation to the Boy Scouts looks good to the civic community. Just a thought.

Last edited by jeffEE; 10-05-2015 at 03:49 PM.
Old 10-05-2015, 04:59 PM
Chipper Griewahn
My Feedback: (4)

You have to get approved by the BCOA in order to provide this. I am going through the process in GA now. Call me if you have any questions. 912-655-0736
Old 10-05-2015, 05:46 PM
PLANE JIM

Guys-just got back from the Scout meeting tonight. We talked about trying to have a fundraiser-we were in luck. A Baptist minister that leads a church in the community that attended tonight's meeting has asked for us to come over and do some painting and cleaning up next Saturday and he would take care of any fees that I incurred in teaching this merit badge. He also added that the congregation would provide lunch and drinks and any materials that we need on the work day. I am meeting with him on Friday evening to get an idea what he wants to get done.

This is working out well and the Scouts are extremely excited about building planes and flying them.
Old 10-06-2015, 10:12 AM
jeffEE
My Feedback: (5)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

A video would be cool.
Old 10-09-2015, 03:59 AM
rcmiket

Guys-just got back from the Scout meeting tonight. We talked about trying to have a fundraiser-we were in luck. A Baptist minister that leads a church in the community that attended tonight's meeting has asked for us to come over and do some painting and cleaning up next Saturday and he would take care of any fees that I incurred in teaching this merit badge. He also added that the congregation would provide lunch and drinks and any materials that we need on the work day. I am meeting with him on Friday evening to get an idea what he wants to get done.

This is working out well and the Scouts are extremely excited about building planes and flying them.
Well done.

Mike