Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Second plane, first kit?

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Second plane, first kit?

Old 11-12-2015, 06:23 PM
QuinnG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Second plane, first kit?

Hi all,

I have an Apprentice right now to learn on and also have been using the simulator, I've been able to take my apprentice out a bit and haven't had any issues and I will continue to fly it and improve my skills. So my question is, can I build a "real" plane for a second plane, not something that looks like a trainer? I would love to build a Cessna 195, Citabria, or Decathalon.. Something along those lines, they seem like they wouldn't be too bad to fly for a beginner.

The harder part is finding a kit, I don't want an ARF, I want to build it all the way. When I was younger my dad and I built an ARF plane, I think it was called an Easy 2. Any suggestions for a 2nd plane, first kit?

Thanks,
Quinn
Old 11-12-2015, 06:31 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

A lot of the answer depends on your skill level, which we obviously can't asses. A Cessna could work well, but one won't be as forgiving as one of the classic second planes. An Ugly Stick or a 4 Star would be easier step up planes from the trainer that will let you learn aerobatics with no quirks to deal with.
Old 11-12-2015, 07:34 PM
QuinnG

Thanks for the reply, maybe I'll try the 4 Star, but wouldn't that handle differently being a low wing? I don't know how close the simulator is to a real plane, but I really like the Pete N Poke on there, seems like a great plane all around.
Old 11-12-2015, 11:55 PM
jeffo
My Feedback: (68)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No,if your flying a trainer with ailerons,(high wing).,the 4 star is just as easy.Go to a flying field with an instructor.jeffo
Old 11-13-2015, 03:22 AM
ho2zoo
My Feedback: (5)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The 4-Star is a great 2nd airplane. The Pete-N-Poke is pretty easy to fly also. But with both you'll learn to take off a tail-dragger. Not hard, but it takes practice.
Old 11-15-2015, 05:32 AM
j.duncker
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another vote for an Ugly Stick There is a short kit here http://www.eurekaaircraft.com/plan_kits/uglystick60.htm

Easy to build and a whole lot fun to fly.
Old 11-26-2015, 09:33 AM
bikerbc

Another great plane is the Goldberg Tiger . Either the 40 size or the 60 size . Both great flyers and easy builds . You have the choice of trycycle or taildrager too . They are low wingers ..
Old 11-27-2015, 03:51 PM
tacx
My Feedback: (1)

First, those are also high wing planes as is the Apprentice.

A good step would be a Avistar which is considered an advanced trainer. It has a semi symmetrical wing which allows more acrobatics. Although it is a ARF.

You say "kit" ? Are you talking about an ARF or a actual build.

An ARF is an assembly. A kit is usually referred to as a bunch of sticks in a box.
Old 11-29-2015, 10:12 AM
QuinnG

I'm talking a bunch of sticks in a box. I want to get into the realistic planes eventually, WW II planes, and others like I mentioned above like the Cessna 195 etc.
Old 11-29-2015, 11:04 AM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Quinn , you could always try a kit bash..

You are still a newb to building and we alll were at one time ..but thats where you take a well known good flier like a 4 star, Tiger 2, or a high wing trainer and reshape the looks of the fuse to look like a different (scale) plane.

I have made 4 stars into ME 109,Spitfire,Typhoon ... its kind of fun to go that route...

I always thought a Tiger 2 might make a fun scale Bonanza or something..its a fun thing to try..
Old 11-29-2015, 02:33 PM
FSki

What about a Sig Cub, I have a Sig Clipped Wing Cub and it's delightful.
Old 11-29-2015, 06:13 PM
QuinnG

Good ideas, I wouldn't know how to even go about making one plane look like another. I like the Sig Cubs, would they be a good 2nd plane also?
Old 11-30-2015, 06:54 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

That would depend on your current level of flying ability. If it's the classic second plane situation where you've just gotten good with your trainer and need something that will let you expand your aerobatics abilities, a Cub would be a poor choice. They are as quirky as a trainer and just as bad in the wind but in different ways. Cubs are a pleasure to fly once you have the skills and get used to them, but IMO they'll hold you back from developing as a pilot. The classic second planes mentioned above will do you a lot more good at this stage.
Old 11-30-2015, 07:25 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by foodstick
Quinn , you could always try a kit bash..

You are still a newb to building and we alll were at one time ..but thats where you take a well known good flier like a 4 star, Tiger 2, or a high wing trainer and reshape the looks of the fuse to look like a different (scale) plane.

I have made 4 stars into ME 109,Spitfire,Typhoon ... its kind of fun to go that route...

I always thought a Tiger 2 might make a fun scale Bonanza or something..its a fun thing to try..
I think that you are on the right track. With a little imagination, and a few modifications, easy to fly sport models can become "scale models."

For the OP's skill level, Iwould suggest a Sig Kadet Senior. I modified mine into a tail dragger, added ailerons, and removed the dihedral. After that, I slapped on a Kadet Senior Sport cowl and covered the air frame in a "scale" motif.

I feel that this would be an excellent project for a novice builder and low time pilot.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	m_002.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	2133191   Click image for larger version

Name:	m_013.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	833.2 KB
ID:	2133192  
Old 11-30-2015, 08:05 AM
LarsL

I like Tom's idea... It almost looks like a Citabria, not like a pure classic trainer. Kadets fly great and have plenty of acrobatic capability to grow into.

Another option, but it will take more time is Top Flite's Cessna 182 Skylane Gold Edition kit. It would be a big step up in terms of build so you probably ought to go with something a bit less daughnting first. Besides its high wing, it has tricycle gear which is a bit easier for T/O and landings.

One other real nice kit is Bruce Tharpe's Flying King. It is a bit bigger than the Kadet Senior and designed for a larger engine. It is also a kit configured to include flaps. It could be modified just like Tom has done on his Kadet and you could dress up the cowl like Tom has so that it doesn't have the "unfinished" look in that area. Bruce's kits are terrific, build great and get nothing but raves from builders.

Lars
Old 11-30-2015, 05:11 PM
Tom Nied

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

If you like WWI type planes, how about the Top Flite Elder? Not exactly scale but has the personna of a WWI plane http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...P?I=LXBSB8&P=8
Old 11-30-2015, 07:26 PM
QuinnG

So many choices now haha, makes a tough decision!
Old 11-30-2015, 08:14 PM
Tom Nied

I do like the idea of the Sig Four Star. Sig kits are just generally good, especially for newbies. It looks like an airplane and will fly great. When I was looking for the "second" plane, I wanted to buy the Sig Kavalier http://www.sigmfg.com/IndexText/SIGRC39.html , but was steered toward the Avistar ARF. The Avistar having similar properties of the Kavalier. The Kavalier looking more "airplane" like. I wish I built one, but have enjoyed my Avistars. Sorry to muddle your choices. You have many. Pick one you like and have a good time.
Old 12-01-2015, 11:39 AM
bikerbc

When you build a kit you invest a fair amount of time so its important not to build something thats to far beyond your skill level and your club buddies should be able to give you some guidance there. A 1/4 Sig Cub is pretty easy to get flying with a little help at the begining but the 1/5 scale and smaller are a bit more difficult . If you have a computer radio you should have some mixes that you can use to help you cordinate your turns to start with but its a good idea to get used to using your rudder anyway . I have my Aileron - rudder mix on a switch so I can turn it on or off . As has already been suggested you can easily build an easy to fly sporty fun plane like the Tiger or the 4 star and kit bash it a bit to make it yours . I built a Tiger 60 tail drager and colured it like a Space Walker and every body thought it was a Space Walker at first . It dosent take much to change the personalaty of a plane. I put a Buzz Liteyear doll in my 1/4 Scale Taylor Craft and the Kids love it . The most important thing is that you are having fun . I built an Elder like Tom Suggests And it is easy to fly and very cool looking . It was not the easiest kit I have ever built ,the round nose turning into a square fuselage was a bit difficult and the little gussets on the open frame work was harder than I thought it would be but I got it done and it looks great and flys great .
Old 12-01-2015, 12:49 PM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I would DEFINITELY not recommend a scale mode for your first kit; unless you find a sport-scale Citabria or Decathon. The Cessna 195 has a dual tapered wing and will stall and snap on slow approach like a trainer won't. And for the most part not a second model to fly, either. Scale landing gear doesn't take abuse well. Second planes tend to be short lived (you think you have it all figured out and get cocky and . . . bam!)

My second kit when I got back into R/C after a LONG absence was a Top Flight Contender 60. If you have a mentor to trim it out and maiden or buddy you on a maiden it could be a good choice. It has rugged going for it. I still have mine and it has survived some hard knocks.

But it's not really a beginner kit. If you take your time in the nose carving and pick up covering techniques pretty quickly. The open turtle-deck and wing tips are fiddly to cover; but the kit instructions are very good.

I'd definitely say an Ugly Stik, (or Road Runner, Dog House, similar shoulder wing "stik" designs). But there just aren't any kits being offered.

Goldberg Tiger II or a Sig Four-Star look like about the best bets. I've never built either so I don't know how the kits are for instructions and completeness, but they should be very good based on the company reputations.
Old 12-01-2015, 01:48 PM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

I like the Tiger which look somewhat like a Bonanza. It is a great builder and flier. However, I think an Uproar is a fantastic second plane. It flies very well slow for landings but is extremely aerobatic. It builds (and repairs) very fast - I built mine in 2 weeks. Just make sure to get a good pilot to do the maiden flight.
Old 12-01-2015, 09:43 PM
QuinnG

The Uproar looks very sporty and fun. But there are so many, how can you ever know what's a good 2nd plane and what isn't?
Old 12-01-2015, 10:37 PM
Tom Nied

I don't think I'd recommend the Uproar as a "second" plane, just my opinion. But to answer your question, "how can you ever know what's a good 2nd plane and what isn't?", I'd have to say you have to do some soul searching of yourself and decide what you are up to do. I was worried about going from a SIG Kadet Senior to an Avistar. The transition went fine. You also have to decide just how much you are willing to tackle a full build like a kit. Some are easier than others. The Sig kits like the 4 stars are winners, because how good SIG supplies their kits with really good info on the build. One thing I've noticed, building a kit is going to require more work and ultimately more money. Taking on an ARF, you will save money. So the decisions you have to make are, do want to build from a kit and be willing to invest in time and more money than an ARF? If strictly a kit is what you want, what do you want to build? You have plenty of choices and many good ones have been described earlier.
Old 12-01-2015, 10:53 PM
QuinnG

Well at this point I may wait for a kit until I can do something more scale, or sporty. But I would think those style of kits might be harder to build vs some of the ones mentioned. But I've never done it, so I don't know. Maybe for my 3rd plane I could build a Great Planes Super Sportster or Ultra Sport.. or something similar.
Old 12-02-2015, 02:00 AM
davevh

Take a good look at the Sig kits, they are a real pleasure to build. I have not built a 4* yet, but built the Somethin Extra (GREAT plane!), Riser 100, and Astro Hog. For your purposes the Astro Hog may fit the bill, it does require a bit of sanding but the thing is built like a tank and frankly is one of the easiest planes I have flown, and a lot of fun (I built it with 1/2 the recommended dihedral and as a taildragger). I built up my core skills with this airplane, and even taught a rookie to land it on his first flight! Recommend a 60 2 stroke for it. I had relatively little building experience when I built the hog, but followed the instructions and it turned out really nice and true.

From what I have heard the 4* is a lot like the Ace Bingo, which itself was based on the Ace 4-60 which was another airplane I had the pleasure of flying. If that is the case, then the 4* must be an amazing plane.

There is a good reason Sig are still around, they are just fantastic. I have several of their kits stockpiled (and lust for some of their ARFs)!

Good luck with whatever your choice,

David

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.