Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

AMA on the Hill!

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

AMA on the Hill!

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2016, 10:36 AM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default AMA on the Hill!

I am surprised that no one posted this. If they have I am sorry for the duplication.

AMA has a blog about their trip to Washington a week ago.

http://amablog.modelaircraft.org/ama...a-on-the-hill/

Scroll down and you will see a comment with some links to news articles.
Old 02-03-2016, 11:22 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

You're in the AMA discussion thread...you shouldn't expect anything positive here.

Of course reading the thread comments you linked to gives you a good idea of how the AMA reps are sometimes treated when they are trying to update the membership.
Old 02-03-2016, 11:30 AM
Sport_Pilot

I thought it interesting that Popular Science made it as though the AMA was entirely for children. Not sure how that will play with the public.
Old 02-03-2016, 12:46 PM
porcia83
Banned

No doubt this will be the ama's fault
Old 02-04-2016, 06:45 AM
rcmiket

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by porcia83
No doubt this will be the ama's fault
" We can't tell you anything" is getting old don't ya think? It's getting to the point where in both that blog and the DC site closure blog that AMA members are asking for more than what their receiving.

Mike
Old 02-04-2016, 06:59 AM
Sport_Pilot

If you want to know then ask the AMA to hire Hillary and we can then hack her e-mail.
Old 02-04-2016, 08:59 AM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
If you want to know then ask the AMA to hire Hillary and we can then hack her e-mail.

That would probably be a lot easier than getting any info out of the blogs.

Mike
Old 02-04-2016, 09:54 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by rcmiket
That would probably be a lot easier than getting any info out of the blogs.

Mike
But whatever else you find would be scary!
Old 02-04-2016, 09:58 AM
rcmiket

But whatever else you find would be scary!
After the last 8 years nothing surprises me anymore. Scary is a understatement.

Mike
Old 02-04-2016, 01:33 PM
porcia83
Banned

" We can't tell you anything" is getting old don't ya think? It's getting to the point where in both that blog and the DC site closure blog that AMA members are asking for more than what their receiving.

Mike
No, what's getting old is the constant twisting of fact to fit a specific ongoing narrative. We get it, AMA= Bad

Where exactly have they said what you just quoted...."we can't tell you anything"? It's completely disingenuous to make it sound as if they are holding back information, rather than the fact that they don't have any new info to tell. And this of course means they aren't working hard enough, or are incompetent, or don't have "juice" etc etc etc.

The fact is for a select few, there is nothing the AMA will ever do that will be viewed as positive, or enough, or rather too much...it's all a jumble, they are just horrible all around it seems. They could release every data set out there and some would complain it's not enough, or too much, or it's not in a format that's acceptable etc etc etc. Some of the info might be proprietary, but hey, let's look past that. Some of the info is out there, people are just too lazy to find it for themselves. Better yet, they are too lazy to ask for it too. And if they ask for it and can't get access to it, well obviously the AMA is hiding something.

At the end of the day, the membership isn't entitled to every bit of information they ask for...simple as that, IMO. They can ask, but should be prepared to be told no. If they don't like it, they can get involved in a more meaningful way than complaining about it on RCU. Oddly enough I don't see anyone asking for all this information on the AMA blogs. And no, the comments aren't deleted...two minutes of reviewing the blogs show all kinds of comments on there.

By the way, any chance you've asked your new AVP for all of the information you want? What was his response? Wasn't this the guy that was going to change the way things were done down there since the other guy fell out of favor?
Old 02-04-2016, 02:05 PM
rcmiket

No, what's getting old is the constant twisting of fact to fit a specific ongoing narrative. We get it, AMA= Bad

Where exactly have they said what you just quoted...."we can't tell you anything"? It's completely disingenuous to make it sound as if they are holding back information, rather than the fact that they don't have any new info to tell. And this of course means they aren't working hard enough, or are incompetent, or don't have "juice" etc etc etc.

The fact is for a select few, there is nothing the AMA will ever do that will be viewed as positive, or enough, or rather too much...it's all a jumble, they are just horrible all around it seems. They could release every data set out there and some would complain it's not enough, or too much, or it's not in a format that's acceptable etc etc etc. Some of the info might be proprietary, but hey, let's look past that. Some of the info is out there, people are just too lazy to find it for themselves. Better yet, they are too lazy to ask for it too. And if they ask for it and can't get access to it, well obviously the AMA is hiding something.

At the end of the day, the membership isn't entitled to every bit of information they ask for...simple as that, IMO. They can ask, but should be prepared to be told no. If they don't like it, they can get involved in a more meaningful way than complaining about it on RCU. Oddly enough I don't see anyone asking for all this information on the AMA blogs. And no, the comments aren't deleted...two minutes of reviewing the blogs show all kinds of comments on there.

By the way, any chance you've asked your new AVP for all of the information you want? What was his response? Wasn't this the guy that was going to change the way things were done down there since the other guy fell out of favor?
Pretty much "we can't tell you anything" . No or little information translates into speculation. I also noticed that Chad is the one and only person to respond to any questions on the AMA blogs. Since when is asking for information bashing the AMA? Every time anyone questions or asks for information on just what our organization is doing you play the AMA hater card.

"Chad Budreau February 3, 2016 at 12:55

While we do have many allies on the Hill there are some who are oppose to our efforts. Our intent is not to hide details from our members, we just have to be careful as to what we expose. As this progresses and modifications are made the FAA Modernization and Reform Act we can share more details. "

"
Chad Budreau February 3, 2016 at 13:04
At this time we cannot share too many details about proposed revisions to the FAA Modernization and Reform Act, but we did discuss flying sites."

Mike

Last edited by rcmiket; 02-04-2016 at 02:12 PM.
Old 02-04-2016, 02:19 PM
rcmiket

Latest AMA email.

Dear members,

Rep. Bill Shuster, who chairs the House Transportation and Infrastructure Committee, introduced a new draft of the FAA reauthorization bill, titled the "Aviation Innovation, Reform, and Reauthorization (AIRR) Act." This bill is critical to preserving our voluntary, community-based approach to the model aviation community across the country.
While we are carefully reviewing the bill's language, it is important to note that the Committee recognized the community-based approach under the "Special Rule for Model Aircraft." The language in that section follows very similarly to Section 336 of the 2012 FAA reauthorization bill. We were also pleased to see that the new language recognizes the important role that model aircraft play in STEM education.
However, there are still some changes to the bill that could further strengthen and clarify the Special Rule for Model Aircraft. In the weeks ahead, we will be working closely with Chairman Shuster and the Committee on our suggested improvements.

We will keep you updated on this important bill and AMA's ongoing work to protect our hobby.
As always, thank you for your support of AMA.
Dave Mathewson
Executive Director

Would it not help if we knew just what the issue is and what changes need to be made? This is where I have a problem with communication from our organization. While were happy about this were not to sure about that. Notice that the AMA is not named as the CBO, isn't that a big one?. Maybe the "community based approach" is this one. There pretty pro active in my book and seem to gaining support among modelers.

http://www.dontflystupid.org/

Mike

Last edited by rcmiket; 02-04-2016 at 02:23 PM.
Old 02-04-2016, 08:55 PM
Sport_Pilot

Has anybody considered that to tell all would mean telling members that work for the FAA?
Old 02-05-2016, 05:49 AM
porcia83
Banned

Latest AMA email.

Dear members,

Rep. Bill Shuster, who chairs the House Transportation and Infrastructure Committee, introduced a new draft of the FAA reauthorization bill, titled the "Aviation Innovation, Reform, and Reauthorization (AIRR) Act." This bill is critical to preserving our voluntary, community-based approach to the model aviation community across the country.
While we are carefully reviewing the bill's language, it is important to note that the Committee recognized the community-based approach under the "Special Rule for Model Aircraft." The language in that section follows very similarly to Section 336 of the 2012 FAA reauthorization bill. We were also pleased to see that the new language recognizes the important role that model aircraft play in STEM education.
However, there are still some changes to the bill that could further strengthen and clarify the Special Rule for Model Aircraft. In the weeks ahead, we will be working closely with Chairman Shuster and the Committee on our suggested improvements.

We will keep you updated on this important bill and AMA's ongoing work to protect our hobby.
As always, thank you for your support of AMA.
Dave Mathewson
Executive Director

Would it not help if we knew just what the issue is and what changes need to be made? This is where I have a problem with communication from our organization. While were happy about this were not to sure about that. Notice that the AMA is not named as the CBO, isn't that a big one?. Maybe the "community based approach" is this one. There pretty pro active in my book and seem to gaining support among modelers.

Mike
So again, more updates and more communications about what the AMA is doing, but more complaints. The bill just came out days ago, and the AMA should immediately send a blast fax/e-mail out detailing all of their strategies on how to deal with it?

Do you see a huge outcry for this information here, or anywhere else? It looks like only a few people want this level of detail and specificity.
Old 02-05-2016, 05:52 AM
porcia83
Banned

Pretty much "we can't tell you anything" . No or little information translates into speculation. I also noticed that Chad is the one and only person to respond to any questions on the AMA blogs. Since when is asking for information bashing the AMA? Every time anyone questions or asks for information on just what our organization is doing you play the AMA hater card.

"Chad Budreau February 3, 2016 at 12:55

While we do have many allies on the Hill there are some who are oppose to our efforts. Our intent is not to hide details from our members, we just have to be careful as to what we expose. As this progresses and modifications are made the FAA Modernization and Reform Act we can share more details. "

"
Chad Budreau February 3, 2016 at 13:04
At this time we cannot share too many details about proposed revisions to the FAA Modernization and Reform Act, but we did discuss flying sites."

Mike
Great updates from them....there is the detail and strategy information you were looking for. Looks like the people we elected to represent us are doing just that.
Old 02-05-2016, 06:01 AM
porcia83
Banned

"....Would it not help if we knew just what the issue is and what changes need to be made? This is where I have a problem with communication from our organization. While were happy about this were not to sure about that. Notice that the AMA is not named as the CBO, isn't that a big one?. Maybe the "community based approach" is this one. There pretty pro active in my book and seem to gaining support among modelers.

Mike...."
Not sure how that would "help" anything. The pros are doing their job, and you or I knowing every detail of what they are doing, or plan on doing I don't see as helpful.

As for that "CBO", can I assume you realize it's a joke, a spoof if you will? Can't help but wonder if they will be vilified like the AMA is if they are not "named" as a CBO (of course a CBO doesn't need to be specifically named to be recognized as one but lets look past that detail).

Part of who they are and what they will do.....which seems to fit a pattern here:

So in closing I will do nothing but complain.

They get high points for creativity and humor...and spending lots of time to set up a goofy website. It's funny, sort of like reading The Onion.
Old 02-05-2016, 06:56 AM
rcmiket

Not sure how that would "help" anything. The pros are doing their job, and you or I knowing every detail of what they are doing, or plan on doing I don't see as helpful.
OK say we wanted to contact our representatives about this. It really would help to point out specifics of just what we would like changed or addressed in this bill. Would it not?

Mike
Old 02-05-2016, 06:57 AM
rcmiket

So again, more updates and more communications about what the AMA is doing, but more complaints. The bill just came out days ago, and the AMA should immediately send a blast fax/e-mail out detailing all of their strategies on how to deal with it?

Yes they should. Updates with no solution kinda reminds me of all the "updates" we got about the whole registration thing. We saw how that panned out.
Mike
Old 02-09-2016, 09:54 AM
porcia83
Banned

Default Just more of the same..........oh wait

Safe Modeling Resumes in DC Area

We are pleased to announce that AMA members in the Washington, D.C. metro area can resume model aircraft activities inside the D.C. Special Flights Rule Area (SFRA). After weeks of working closely with the FAA to find a resolution, the 14 AMA-charted clubs in the DC metro area can now return to safe operations starting on February 10.
On December 25, the FAA more than doubled the airspace around the D.C. metro area that it considers a ‘no drone zone.’ This meant that, in addition to the longstanding UAS prohibition restrictions in the Flight Restricted Zone (FRZ) and around Washington, D.C., model aviation enthusiasts could not fly in several Virginia and Maryland counties as well. For our members who have been flying safely in the area for decades, this was unacceptable and AMA was committed to a finding a solution.
Thanks to the efforts of the AMA’s Government Affairs team and your District IV Government Relations Committee, we successfully worked with the FAA to roll back these unnecessary flying restrictions in the SFRA. Today, the FAA updated the conditions for flying in the SFRA, issuing a permanent Notice to Airmen (NOTAM). It is important to note there is no change to the 15nm Flight Restricted Zone (FRZ) in D.C. The FRZ will continue to be a no-fly zone.
The FAA acknowledges that our members abide by federal and local policies and for decades have followed AMA’s comprehensive set of safety guidelines. AMA members’ unparalleled safety record shows that this time-tested community-based approach to model aircraft activity works, and helps ensure that hobbyists fly safely and responsibly.
We appreciate your support for AMA and look forward to our continued efforts to protect our hobby and all AMA members.

I'm sure this had nothing to do with the AMA and it's continuing efforts on behalf of modelers.

No doubt this will be spun in the negative in 3....2.......1.....

http://amablog.modelaircraft.org/ama...es-in-dc-area/
Old 02-09-2016, 09:59 AM
porcia83
Banned

OK say we wanted to contact our representatives about this. It really would help to point out specifics of just what we would like changed or addressed in this bill. Would it not?

Mike
Did you try to contact your AVP or the newly elected VP in your area? Do you think it's realistic for the AMA EC group to reach out and solicit thoughts and opinions from 150k members before they do something? Of course not. If one wants to be move involved and know every little thing that is going on with the AMA...gotta do something more than post online, gotta get involved in a more meaningful way.
Old 02-09-2016, 10:03 AM
Sport_Pilot

Yes they should. Updates with no solution kinda reminds me of all the "updates" we got about the whole registration thing. We saw how that panned out.
Mike
You expecting something in a couple of months that will take at least a couple of years!
Old 02-09-2016, 10:08 AM
Sport_Pilot

Safe Modeling Resumes in DC Area

We are pleased to announce that AMA members in the Washington, D.C. metro area can resume model aircraft activities inside the D.C. Special Flights Rule Area (SFRA). After weeks of working closely with the FAA to find a resolution, the 14 AMA-charted clubs in the DC metro area can now return to safe operations starting on February 10.
On December 25, the FAA more than doubled the airspace around the D.C. metro area that it considers a ‘no drone zone.’ This meant that, in addition to the longstanding UAS prohibition restrictions in the Flight Restricted Zone (FRZ) and around Washington, D.C., model aviation enthusiasts could not fly in several Virginia and Maryland counties as well. For our members who have been flying safely in the area for decades, this was unacceptable and AMA was committed to a finding a solution.
Thanks to the efforts of the AMA’s Government Affairs team and your District IV Government Relations Committee, we successfully worked with the FAA to roll back these unnecessary flying restrictions in the SFRA. Today, the FAA updated the conditions for flying in the SFRA, issuing a permanent Notice to Airmen (NOTAM). It is important to note there is no change to the 15nm Flight Restricted Zone (FRZ) in D.C. The FRZ will continue to be a no-fly zone.
The FAA acknowledges that our members abide by federal and local policies and for decades have followed AMA’s comprehensive set of safety guidelines. AMA members’ unparalleled safety record shows that this time-tested community-based approach to model aircraft activity works, and helps ensure that hobbyists fly safely and responsibly.
We appreciate your support for AMA and look forward to our continued efforts to protect our hobby and all AMA members.

I'm sure this had nothing to do with the AMA and it's continuing efforts on behalf of modelers.

No doubt this will be spun in the negative in 3....2.......1.....

http://amablog.modelaircraft.org/ama...es-in-dc-area/
Figures, now they are snowed in. I wonder if they want the AMA to do something about that?
Old 02-09-2016, 10:40 AM
porcia83
Banned

You expecting something in a couple of months that will take at least a couple of years!
Just more of the same AMA=Bad stuff. Creating and holding them to impossible standards, and blaming them for all the ills of the hobby and the govt involvement. Always wanting more more more from the AMA....but giving nothing more than second guesses and criticisms.
Figures, now they are snowed in. I wonder if they want the AMA to do something about that?
Yes, stopping any further complications of El Nino, and also it would be nice for them to plow out the effected areas. After all, they can cut back on AMA staff, field upkeep in Muncie, travel expenses, fancy lunches....etc etc etc. And of course, lets not forget about all that crazy "drone" money they have now too!
Old 02-09-2016, 01:37 PM
rcmiket

Did you try to contact your AVP or the newly elected VP in your area? Do you think it's realistic for the AMA EC group to reach out and solicit thoughts and opinions from 150k members before they do something? Of course not. If one wants to be move involved and know every little thing that is going on with the AMA...gotta do something more than post online, gotta get involved in a more meaningful way.

So you stop at the AMA when it comes to dealing with elected officials who make policy? I not only let the AMA know what I think I also go tye extra mile and contact my elected officials on these matters.

Mike.
Old 02-09-2016, 01:38 PM
rcmiket

Apparently it only took 2 months to resolve the DC issue so in essence anything is possible isn't it?

Mike

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.