Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

FAA: Drone registration eclipses that of regular planes

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

FAA: Drone registration eclipses that of regular planes

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2016, 03:02 PM
grotto2
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FAA: Drone registration eclipses that of regular planes

WASHINGTON – The number of drones potentially flying in U.S. skies has eclipsed the number of piloted aircraft — from Cessnas to Dreamliners, the Federal Aviation Administration said Monday.
More than 325,000 people registered their drones as of Friday, FAA Administrator Michael Huerta said. That surpasses the 320,000 piloted aircraft registered with the agency. And the numbers could actually be higher, Huerta said, because one registration covers all the drones a person owns. The average operator has 1.5 drones, he said.
The registration numbers show the surging popularity of remote-controlled aircraft, which are flooding airspace already packed with passenger planes and leading to concerns over midair collisions. About 7,000 planes fly in U.S. skies any time during the day, according to the FAA, along with an untold number of drones.
The FAA began the registration program Dec. 21 to address these safety concerns. All drones owned before then must be registered by Feb. 19. New ones must be registered before the first flight. The rules apply to nearly all owners of remote-controlled aircraft weighing at least 9 ounces.
The FAA receives about 100 reports per month from aircraft pilots who say they spotted drones flying near them, but the remote-controlled aircraft can be difficult to trace.
With registration, the FAA can track down operators flying dangerously or after a crash. The agency has opened 24 investigations into unsafe or illegal drone operations, Huerta said.
“We won’t hesitate to take strong enforcement actions against anyone who flies unmanned aircraft in an unsafe or illegal manner," Huerta said.
Chesley Sullenberger, the retired US Airways captain who landed a jet on the Hudson River after geese knocked out both of the plane's engines, has warned about the need to prevent drones from colliding with airliners.
"The sheer numbers concern me, as they increase the risk of a collision and it is likely that the actual number of drones is much greater than the number registered," Sullenberger said.
The Academy of Model Aeronautics, which represents 180,000 hobbyists, argued the registry is burdensome and unnecessary since the group’s members already identify their aircraft.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2...nes/80002730/#
Old 02-09-2016, 03:19 PM
falcon_56

Newsflash, model airplanes are cheaper than full size airplanes.

Last edited by falcon_56; 02-09-2016 at 03:21 PM.
Old 02-09-2016, 04:07 PM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

They said 300K drones , and showed a quadcopter on my evening news . How many of those 300K FAA registrants are like me and only fly fixed wing , which to the general public aren't "drones" ?
Old 02-09-2016, 08:20 PM
countilaw

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know for sure, and don't have any evidence to back it up, but I would feel safe to say that 99% of those registered are AMA members. I know that I am one of those 350,000 registrants, and I don't own any "drones".

I also am a firm believer that there are a lot of owner that have not and never will register.
Old 02-09-2016, 10:21 PM
rustyrivet
My Feedback: (6)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by countilaw
I don't know for sure, and don't have any evidence to back it up, but I would feel safe to say that 99% of those registered are AMA members. I know that I am one of those 350,000 registrants, and I don't own any "drones".

I also am a firm believer that there are a lot of owner that have not and never will register.

I'm registered. I'm not an AMA member.

I also carry my drivers license with me when I drive, pull over when ordered to do so by a traffic cop, and show him proof of auto insurance when asked to do so.

At the same time, I also keep my concealed handgun license with me when I carry, and present that to him as well......as I am required by law to do.

I will pick my fights over stuff that matters, but thus far haven't seen a law or regulation that I consider so abusive to me that I should become none-compliant and subject myself to hefty fines and/or jail time.

In other words, I'm not a dumb*ss
Old 02-10-2016, 11:55 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by countilaw

If you do not own any drones, why are you an AMA member. As most know, any unmanned flying vehicle is by definition a DRONE so, if you do not own an unmanned flying vehicle, no need to belong to AMA
Old 02-10-2016, 01:33 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rodney
If you do not own any drones, why are you an AMA member. As most know, any unmanned flying vehicle is by definition a DRONE so, if you do not own an unmanned flying vehicle, no need to belong to AMA
Says who? For 80 years people have joined for a number of reasons.........it's a personal preference.
Old 02-10-2016, 02:29 PM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by porcia83
Says who? For 80 years people have joined for a number of reasons.........it's a personal preference.
You really didn't need to start your same old rhetoric in this thread. He specifically said "there is no NEED" and there isn't. Certainly they can join but there is not NEED to join.
Old 02-10-2016, 02:49 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by rgburrill
You really didn't need to start your same old rhetoric in this thread. He specifically said "there is no NEED" and there isn't. Certainly they can join but there is not NEED to join.
Likewise....take your own advice. Slow day? I love when people talk in absolutes, those are the ones who are usually absolutely wrong.

At the end of the day, it's not my call, or his, or yours to say what someones need is as we don't know them. Perhaps he doesn't fly but wants to join a club that required AMA, hence the want and need.
Old 02-10-2016, 04:08 PM
ltc
My Feedback: (3)

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by init4fun
They said 300K drones , and showed a quadcopter on my evening news . How many of those 300K FAA registrants are like me and only fly fixed wing , which to the general public aren't "drones" ?
Multirotor...fixed wing turbine airplane....they are one in the same with respect to the FAA.
Old 02-10-2016, 05:20 PM
KaP2011
My Feedback: (17)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

"Chesley Sullenberger, the retired US Airways captain who landed a jet on the Hudson River after geese knocked out both of the plane's engines, has warned about the need to prevent drones from colliding with airliners."

To my knowledge there has never been a documented case where an r/c airplane or a drone has been the cause of a full scale plane crash. On the other hand, maybe they should register the geese.
Old 02-10-2016, 07:41 PM
init4fun

Originally Posted by ltc
Multirotor...fixed wing turbine airplane....they are one in the same with respect to the FAA.
Yes they are , but to the public that was watching the news that there were 300K drones registered , which is who I was talking about , the public , they see the word drone as being a multicopter and not a fixed wing , they now think there are 300K multirotors , and not 300K hobbyists flying things other than multicopters thanks to the verbage of "300K Drone registrations" . We here all get it , yes , technically any UAS is a drone . But the public has never once called my P-51 a drone and aren't likely to any time soon . When they hear drone , they think Multicopter , that's what the news has taught them . show 10 folks a photo of a multicopter and 10 out of 10 will say "drone" . Show 10 different people a picture of a piper cub , and I'll bet not one single person will say "drone" ....
Old 02-10-2016, 08:04 PM
chuckk2

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There is almost no chance of a crash between full size AC and RC models flown reasonably. Having said that, I realize that there always will be "kooks".
Old 02-10-2016, 08:43 PM
gsoav8r
My Feedback: (6)

Yes they are , but to the public that was watching the news that there were 300K drones registered , which is who I was talking about , the public , they see the word drone as being a multicopter and not a fixed wing , they now think there are 300K multirotors , and not 300K hobbyists flying things other than multicopters thanks to the verbage of "300K Drone registrations" . We here all get it , yes , technically any UAS is a drone . But the public has never once called my P-51 a drone and aren't likely to any time soon . When they hear drone , they think Multicopter , that's what the news has taught them . show 10 folks a photo of a multicopter and 10 out of 10 will say "drone" . Show 10 different people a picture of a piper cub , and I'll bet not one single person will say "drone" ....
I cant agree with your comment more. It takes two hands to count the friends and family that have asked me over the last year or so, "Do you know how to fly drones too?"
Old 02-11-2016, 04:06 AM
ltc
My Feedback: (3)

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I think you give the public too much credit. They simply believe what they see on TV.
If it was just multi rotors, then the FAA would have left traditional FAI/AMA aircraft alone, but they didn't.
Like it or not, you're a drone pilot.
The AMA has zero issues with this, since they are actively embracing and promoting drones, due to their desire for more membership and advertising revenue.
Old 02-11-2016, 05:06 AM
init4fun

Originally Posted by ltc
I think you give the public too much credit. They simply believe what they see on TV.
If it was just multi rotors, then the FAA would have left traditional FAI/AMA aircraft alone, but they didn't.
Like it or not, you're a drone pilot.
The AMA has zero issues with this, since they are actively embracing and promoting drones, due to their desire for more membership and advertising revenue.
I believe if you read my post , you'll see I'm perfectly fine with the fact that all UAS are considered drones by those involved in aviation , so why do you feel the need to belabor the point with me ?

My point , which you have obviously missed , is that the media WANTS the public to think there are 300K drones , which they , the public , think are ALL multirotors , and that every one of these 300K drones has a camera ready to spy on their every move . That's the underlying public fear of drones , that they could be peeping in their windows at any moment , and the media is playing on that fear to push the story . That's all . My statement is that when the public hears 300K drones they do NOT think 150K multicopters and 150K clipped wing Taylorcrafts , they think 300K multicopters .

I will not explain this further . By now , you either understand my statement , or you never will ......
Old 02-11-2016, 09:09 AM
Rob2160

Originally Posted by KaP2011

To my knowledge there has never been a documented case where an r/c airplane or a drone has been the cause of a full scale plane crash. On the other hand, maybe they should register the geese.
None that I am aware of in US airspace but there have been injuries and at least one crash with fatalities caused by a model aircraft impacting full size in other countries.

Fatal Aircraft Crash report - english translation.

Last edited by Rob2160; 02-11-2016 at 09:15 AM.
Old 02-12-2016, 07:05 AM
FLAPSDOWN

You go porcia83! Love your hilarious bitter replies. The entertainment value is priceless. I was browsing your activity listed in your RCU profile. Consistently awesome negativity sprinkled regularly with confrontational exchanges. Priceless, also mindless, but entertaining to say the least.

Keep on keeping on!

Last edited by FLAPSDOWN; 02-12-2016 at 07:18 AM.
Old 02-12-2016, 08:40 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by FLAPSDOWN
You go porcia83! Love your hilarious bitter replies. The entertainment value is priceless. I was browsing your activity listed in your RCU profile. Consistently awesome negativity sprinkled regularly with confrontational exchanges. Priceless, also mindless, but entertaining to say the least.

Keep on keeping on!
Oh my! Glad to entertain I guess. But negative...me thinks no. Read back farther my newfound friend. Far to positive...sheeple...rose coloured lenses are but a few comments I've heard. Gosh I think I'm as far from negative as one can be....I tend to respond to the overwhelming amount of negativity with a contrasting opinion which doesn't usually sit well with some of the torch and pitchfork rants sometimes. Oh well....keep reading and keep smiling