Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Tamiya set up questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2016, 04:04 PM
Markocaster

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Tamiya set up questions

Hi , I have an tamiya full option tiger 1 I bought used. It's great and I am in the process of upgrading, painting it etc. my question is, the manual says to set it up as follows
Rudd. Ch1
Throttle ch2
M.gun ch3
Turret ch 4
I noticed the previous owner set it up the exact opposite rudder ch4 throttle ch3 m gun 2 and turret ch1 This is using a Fatuba sky's port t4yf
All my driving and turning is done w left stick and the manual says turning should be right stick for turns?
Am I missing something? Or is there a reason to this set up?
Also when I fire the gun the recoil goes back and then sticks and the gears make a HELL of a grinding noise and gun does not return? Shot recoil unit or is there a fix?
Thanks again for helping with my rookie questions
Mark

Last edited by Markocaster; 04-27-2016 at 04:05 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 04-27-2016, 04:09 PM
Markocaster

orry one more ? Anyone have a link to a video that shows the procedure for setting up Tamiya rc equipment. I am a little confused to the stick placement during the process. Cheers
Old 04-27-2016, 04:49 PM
superrod
My Feedback: (16)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Could be as simple as the PO was left handed. There is no set in stone way to set any RC up and many are set up to suit the owner. Can't help on the recoil.
Jimmy
Old 04-27-2016, 06:04 PM
TheBennyB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yup, all personal preference. I have my lower on the left and turret on the right stick as well. As for the recoil, over time the bracket that holds the recoil unit can flex and cause the barrel to bind. Just open up the top of your turret and hold the mantlet while gently bending the barcket and unit up or down till it clears. Wont take much. It is possible the recoil unit is shot as well. The gear that engages the pinion off the small motor can become stripped or move on its shaft so there is too much movement so the gear will not engage the motor pinion, and usually this is the sound your hearing. That gear moving and engaging/disengaging the motor pinion. Also always good to check the nut on the bottom of the recoil unit that holds the large black main gear in place. It can come lose as well. I usually put a dab of thread lock on it to keep it in place.
Old 04-27-2016, 06:20 PM
TheBennyB

As for set up. I don't remember any vids but maybe someone else has seen something out there. Essentially your telling the system your stick throws. Make sure all your trims are in the middle and hit the setup dip button. Sound will stop and DMD lights will blink, then start cycling through the stick movements. So say your starting with the right stick. Start with stick at neutral, then stick up all the way, then down all the way and back to neutral. Then stick left all the way, right all the way, then back to neutral. Repeat with left stick and hit the setup button again. Sound will come back on and lights will be solid green. Your just telling the system the amount of throw on your sticks and the endpoints so it can respond accordingly to the input of your transmitter.
Old 04-28-2016, 02:55 AM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
Cool

Someone long ago threw this up here on RCU for setting up the radio and I saved it. It may have been Jeff489... I don't remember so I can't give proper credit but I believe it's all up to what your needs are.

Jeff
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Setup_Sticks.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	198.2 KB
ID:	2159695  

Last edited by Panther F; 04-28-2016 at 02:59 AM.
Old 04-28-2016, 04:35 AM
TheBennyB

Believe that's from Willy's site Jeff.
Old 04-28-2016, 07:18 AM
Markocaster

Originally Posted by Panther F
Someone long ago threw this up here on RCU for setting up the radio and I saved it. It may have been Jeff489... I don't remember so I can't give proper credit but I believe it's all up to what your needs are.

Jeff
Thanks Jeff , I did find that link and it helped a LOT!