Community
Search
Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

need suggestions 1/8 brushless

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2016, 07:50 AM
Ewadz3006

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need suggestions 1/8 brushless

I want to get into 1/8 brushless buggies. i've had, and currently have several cars,trucks (nitro and electric). also just picked up a 1/5 scale hpi baja and a pro boat shockwave 55ss.

I haven't had any brushless vehicles, and after witnessing them, this is my next step. I really like the 1/8 scales, but am unsure what to get, and what motor. I'm not sure of things like the kv on the motors, etc. any help and suggestions would be helpful.

I liked all my losi buggies and associated buggies, so i'm leaning that way but am open to suggestions on others as well.

Thanks in advance
Old 05-25-2016, 09:37 AM
The Saylors

I have been liking the Kyosho lazer kit at the track lately, wins a lot but it's pretty heavy. The losi buggies ARE pretty good as well. As far as a motor i like the Mamba monster x with the 2650 kv motor. Lower the kv is more torque but less top end while high kv is the opposite. Your motor choice will depend more on the weight of the kit that you get and what motor can sizes it can take. This is one of the kits that i have had my eye on lately. http://www.amazon.com/8IGHT-T-3-0-El...=sr_1_2&sr=8-2
Old 05-25-2016, 10:47 PM
Maj_Overdrive
My Feedback: (11)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had Losi 8ight's before and like them a lot. I've always always read good things about Mugen so they're my other go to recommendation.

As far as motors go, what are you looking to do? If you're going to be racing or doing that sort of precision driving where more throttle control is desired the trend is for lower kv. The more professional drivers are even going below 2000kv as low as 1700kv. They're also going sensored for even more control as sensorless can be a little more jerky in some circumstances. The higher kv stuff is more touchy and chomping at the bit when you apply throttle. If you're bashing and want to light up the tires all the time and have a strong mid to top end surge then higher kv is what you're looking for. I've never tried anything as high as 2650kv, the shorter motor length (means less torque) always turned me off and the Castle 2200kv had enough of a mid to top end rush for me, especially on 5s or 6s.
Old 05-26-2016, 07:57 AM
Ewadz3006

saylors, I like kyosho, I've had them in the past. the only thing is, it seems like they discontinue parts almost as soon as the new model comes out. (at least this was the case with my 1/10 lazer.

maj overdrive, ive heard good things about mugen as well. as far as what im doing... probably just bashing around. may race at a buddies house or something like that but nothing organized. More just beating around than anything else. I want it fast but controllable too. I probably wont spend money on high dollar stuff though. I generally don't buy cheap batteries and components, but I'm not going to spring on the latest and greatest.

I've never seen one of these first hand to actually know what I want.
Old 05-26-2016, 08:54 AM
The Saylors

I had no idea that they had already discontinued parts for the lazer! Thank you for the heads up on that! That is, of course, a total deal breaker if you cant fix the thing. I really like those mugens as well but they do seem to be kinda that top of the line mark in terms of quality as well as price. As far as my 2650kv castle i don't run on 6s, just 3s and 4s, and i run it in a kinda heavy 1/10th scale with big tires so it is more than plenty for me but i suppose it isn't a one size fits all.
Old 05-26-2016, 03:55 PM
Ewadz3006

I'm not sure which lazer you were looking at. This was 10 years ago or better.It seemed like they just kept coming out with new versions. You had a car for a year or so, the new version came out and the parts for the old one were discontinued. Some of the new parts would work and some wouldn't. And it seemed like the only way to try was buy the part and find out. I do t know if they are still like that or not, but me and a few of my friends used to have kyosho stuff and we all were the same boat. I'm not the type to buy new models tjough either. I'll buy a team kit or similar and keep it for many years. In fact I still have a rc10t2 factory team kit and a losi xx4 worlds edition. Lol

Last edited by Ewadz3006; 05-26-2016 at 06:00 PM.
Old 05-26-2016, 07:02 PM
Maj_Overdrive
My Feedback: (11)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've read of people running the 2650kv on 3s in a 1/8 buggy and it being fast enough for them. But in my opinion if you're going 1/8 don't neuter it with 3s, go 4s. I think guys go the 2650kv on 3s route to use the 3s they already have and because they see 4s as being a little much. 2650kv on 4s I agree would be a little much, too much rpm potential in bigger increments. The esc increases voltage to increase throttle and with higher kv that results in more of an rpm increase than with lower kv.

Either way, 2000-2200kv on 4s is the standard 1/8 formula. It also allows for higher voltage if you want to go that route down the road. I love 1/8 brushless and having too much power. Honestly one of the best combos I've had was Castle's mamba monster with their 2200kv motor on 5s geared for about 55mph with a Castle blower on the motor. Ran cool through a whole bash session even on grass, could light up the tires on pavement making 40mph slides easy. Yet throttle control wasn't a chore for me and I could get around a dirt track pretty well without looping it from too much throttle. Like I said, go 4s, 2000-2200kv, enjoy, step up to a higher voltage later if you want. Btw 6s is just nutty in a buggy, good for speed runs and destroying tires but that's about it.
Old 05-27-2016, 03:19 AM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Maj_Overdrive
I've read of people running the 2650kv on 3s in a 1/8 buggy and it being fast enough for them. But in my opinion if you're going 1/8 don't neuter it with 3s, go 4s. I think guys go the 2650kv on 3s route to use the 3s they already have and because they see 4s as being a little much. 2650kv on 4s I agree would be a little much, too much rpm potential in bigger increments. The esc increases voltage to increase throttle and with higher kv that results in more of an rpm increase than with lower kv. ...
+1
Old 05-27-2016, 04:06 AM
mugeyman

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

hi ewadz , the1/8 electric buggies real fast you can look at tekno eb 48.3 , kyosho mp9e thi3 or 4 ,
mugen mbx7 , and losi electric buggies ,i m running mamba monster esc , 2200kv and 4s batts
my electic buggy is real fast and runs well , i tried a 2650kv motor was really fast and became uncontrollable on race track, so i toned it back to a 2200kv , perfect for racing and bashing too
good luck with you choice ok mugey
Old 05-27-2016, 08:55 AM
The Saylors

I guess i have been lucky with my kyosho mt. have only ever broken one thing and it was an easy fix.