Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

Rebuild of a Aquacraft V-24 (thoughts)

Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

Rebuild of a Aquacraft V-24 (thoughts)

Old 06-03-2016, 09:50 AM
Team Lucas

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rebuild of a Aquacraft V-24 (thoughts)

I picked up a complete V-24 gas from AquaCraft a few years back, had to totally redo drive system as in new flex shaft, stuffing tube {which I had to drill out} remount shaft etc.....Live in Florida, so looks like a salt water run, and putting it away wet.
The Fugi looked like just a couple runs on it, so after getting a new carb, she fired up. Went to pond and didn't even get up on plane, engine screeming like a greap ape. Retired it to the shelf.

Now im redoing it. have it striped, my question is I have a stinger drive coming that is longer and adjustable for angle and length, getting longer trim tabs and adding 2 more down toward the keel, so im actually making the boat longer

whats the thought on that?
Old 06-03-2016, 10:52 AM
The Saylors

Are all of the trim tabs gunna be operated independently? Doing it that way will give you the best chance to have a boat that goes straight and is predictable on plane since this is a sorta custom setup balance can be an issue. Just make sure that your transmitter is decent and has presets that can be changed for your trim tabs so that once you get it dialed in you can keep it there. With more motor and larger control surfaces i think you will be in good shape. Have you updated the prop? That is a huge factor as well.
Old 06-03-2016, 03:08 PM
Team Lucas

im keeping the fugi, and trim tabs will be manual adjust, making org. tab location but longer and maybe wider, then smaller tabs near the keel. As far as prop... oh dear do I know how important that is.....any sugestions would help { I always balance and sharpen}
Old 06-05-2016, 07:56 AM
expresscraft

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

As a hull manufacturer i would love to say the hull is the heart of your boat, It is not. the engine is, with the fugi you will have no heart in your boat and it will never be good for anything other then looking at, playing with it will always be a disappointment.
If you put your trim tabs on correctly. they will be mounted up a 1/16 or 1/8th" so they do not ad length to the hull but are merely trim tabs, that only the last part of them touch the water for dialing the boat in once its up on plan. you will be very lucky to even see that with any authority with the fuji motor, good luck and have fun.
Old 06-05-2016, 10:31 AM
Team Lucas

Originally Posted by expresscraft
As a hull manufacturer i would love to say the hull is the heart of your boat, It is not. the engine is, with the fugi you will have no heart in your boat and it will never be good for anything other then looking at, playing with it will always be a disappointment.
If you put your trim tabs on correctly. they will be mounted up a 1/16 or 1/8th" so they do not ad length to the hull but are merely trim tabs, that only the last part of them touch the water for dialing the boat in once its up on plan. you will be very lucky to even see that with any authority with the fuji motor, good luck and have fun.
what would you suggest for engine? And you being a hull builder, is the v-24 design worth the new engine? or is it a bad design for RC?
Old 06-05-2016, 11:15 AM
Team Lucas

I believe I found your site, I like that Thundercat. Might be interested in talking to you about it
Old 06-13-2016, 12:27 PM
Team Lucas

new update... fiberglassed the inside of transom a couple days ago, today
fiberglassed the out side. Just ordered new Zeona 26cc with pipe and header kit. Just got in new radio box, prop shaft, flex cable,and a "Stinger" surface drive. ( this surface drive, has adjustments for pitch along with length ) very nice to set up a boat.
just have to find long trim tabs and a deep rudder.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1504.JPG
Views:	315
Size:	297.5 KB
ID:	2167732   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1506.JPG
Views:	280
Size:	390.9 KB
ID:	2167733  
Old 06-13-2016, 01:17 PM
expresscraft

that will be a very fun boat with the 26 zenoha, I think you have the biggest problem area's taken care of. Play with it some and let it set that rc boat hook in real deep....lol. Then as well as anytime I will talk with you about the Thundercat. When you build your own boat it is a lot of fun in it self as well as rewarding. But it will be much better once you know you like model boating, I am not saying spending the most you can on parts is the best way to go, But it's also good to know you like boating so you are willing to spend what it takes to get what you want.Some cut corners on parts and pay for that choice when they use the boat. I do not sell parts so my main goal is to point you in the right direction based on what you say you want out of your boat and what your budget is, And of course you will be my next best sales man if you are happy with your boat and it runs well.

Last edited by expresscraft; 06-14-2016 at 05:48 AM.
Old 06-23-2016, 02:33 PM
Team Lucas

Just got the new engine, waiting on the mount and rudder. After that I'm all set , everything new but the hull.
Old 06-26-2016, 08:38 AM
expresscraft

i think it is a pretty cool hull and you will have lots of fun with it. Do not compare apples to oranges though. the boat you have is a pretty scale MODEL boat. There are some hulls out there that were built for the sole purpose of running fast. So I am not saying if you go to a club lake that there will not be faster boats or ones that handle higher speeds better. But i do think your hull does work pretty good and should be great on a stock motor. Most models weak links are there builders and not the parts. What I am saying In the right hands if it floats there are guys that can make it fast. Might not be me or you but some of the guys racing just spend a lot of time at the lake, Understand what they are seeing and make very little adjustments one at a time. some that you will not even see a difference. but in the end after lots of time on the water those little changes add up. Most guys with RTR type boats are not those guys. So who really knows how good that boat really can be?that crowd I am talking about are the same ones that win almost every time they race. The rest are just guys that follow them and normally try to copy them.So what is most important is to just have fun and do not worry if it is the fastest boat out there or not.
Old 06-26-2016, 10:13 AM
Team Lucas

i think it is a pretty cool hull and you will have lots of fun with it. Do not compare apples to oranges though. the boat you have is a pretty scale MODEL boat. There are some hulls out there that were built for the sole purpose of running fast. So I am not saying if you go to a club lake that there will not be faster boats or ones that handle higher speeds better. But i do think your hull does work pretty good and should be great on a stock motor. Most models weak links are there builders and not the parts. What I am saying In the right hands if it floats there are guys that can make it fast. Might not be me or you but some of the guys racing just spend a lot of time at the lake, Understand what they are seeing and make very little adjustments one at a time. some that you will not even see a difference. but in the end after lots of time on the water those little changes add up. Most guys with RTR type boats are not those guys. So who really knows how good that boat really can be?that crowd I am talking about are the same ones that win almost every time they race. The rest are just guys that follow them and normally try to copy them.So what is most important is to just have fun and do not worry if it is the fastest boat out there or not.
Thanks a lot for your replies. Actually leans me more towards my next hull being the THUNDERCAT {since you reply to questions.....that means a lot}. I purchased a ele. Cat little over a month ago. {before I saw your hulls} Hard boat to keep on the water. I know this may be unethical to ask questions about a Cat I did not get from you. But if I could, would make me like Cats better. Boat is much like a tunnel I use to run years ago. 36 inch twin prop wants to go airborn at over 55 to 60 mph. So question would be .... one would think adjusting the drives down 1mm or 2 would put the nose down, but it also lifts the stern up. Does that not make it "float" more at high speeds? I was thinking there is less boat in the water now, and with the tunnel, it would lift more. Like I said, if me asking this offends you , I'm sorry but I like the Catamaran style. By the way I'm old and use to race wood nitros, that you had to build, years ago. Wanted to build another and not many wood kits out there, I bought a Mono wood kit and thinking putting the new things I got for the V24 in it, I think I need a 29 or so for the V24, where as I just have a new stock 26. I like speed that Cats have, but I like control that Monos have.
Old 06-26-2016, 01:44 PM
expresscraft

Of course I sell boats for a living, But after owning a store front hobby shop for 25 years. I am very use to helping people with questions on other peoples products. And really the only reason someone like me that is just a small business can even be in the boat market is that it is too small for any big money companies to care about it. So for me helping grow our hobby is always just fine for me, Personally just like my hobby shop I like making customers part of our business. I do not consider other manufacturers as competition, but as part of model boating. I only get mad when someone waxes up our boats and copies them with just a few changes.Then even in those cases I end up being the one to help those guys customers because they have not paid there dues (time in our hobby) learning how to make good running bottoms or the parts needed and where to put them to make them run good. They are just fiber glassers and they come and they go.
For your cat and most. the prop shafts need to be up a little from the bottom of the ride pads. and with a little trim to push the bow down. You do not want lifting props. Also look at the center of the tunnel if it is a very fat wing it will gain a lot of lift and will never be as fast as one with a thin wing. Of course in gas boats with big engines you need the space to fit the motors. so most are thicker winged boats, they can still go pretty fast and in most cases the motors will not push them past there limits. also on the bottom of the transom under the boat you can use balsa wood and some filler and make a air foil like what is on the back of small cars. so when the boat is fling that airfoil is push the bow down. you will need to play with this but it does work.and it does not need to be big.So what I am saying is do not put more then 1-2 degrees of negative on the strut making none lifting props lift any ways.
A properly set up cat will spoil you on handling. There is a old saying that is if it is not a cat......It's a dog.
Old 06-26-2016, 02:04 PM
Team Lucas

Of course I sell boats for a living, But after owning a store front hobby shop for 25 years. I am very use to helping people with questions on other peoples products. And really the only reason someone like me that is just a small business can even be in the boat market is that it is too small for any big money companies to care about it. So for me helping grow our hobby is always just fine for me, Personally just like my hobby shop I like making customers part of our business. I do not consider other manufacturers as competition, but as part of model boating. I only get mad when someone waxes up our boats and copies them with just a few changes.Then even in those cases I end up being the one to help those guys customers because they have not paid there dues (time in our hobby) learning how to make good running bottoms or the parts needed and where to put them to make them run good. They are just fiber glassers and they come and they go.
For your cat and most. the prop shafts need to be up a little from the bottom of the ride pads. and with a little trim to push the bow down. You do not want lifting props. Also look at the center of the tunnel if it is a very fat wing it will gain a lot of lift and will never be as fast as one with a thin wing. Of course in gas boats with big engines you need the space to fit the motors. so most are thicker winged boats, they can still go pretty fast and in most cases the motors will not push them past there limits. also on the bottom of the transom under the boat you can use balsa wood and some filler and make a air foil like what is on the back of small cars. so when the boat is fling that airfoil is push the bow down. you will need to play with this but it does work.and it does not need to be big.So what I am saying is do not put more then 1-2 degrees of negative on the strut making none lifting props lift any ways.
A properly set up cat will spoil you on handling. There is a old saying that is if it is not a cat......It's a dog.
I'm going to use that quote :} I think my problem was the x447s, there lifting props What would that Tundercat do with a stock 26 Zeoah ?
Old 06-26-2016, 02:28 PM
Team Lucas

what brand makes nolifting props, with antirotation ones as well my stocks are 1.3/4 inches diameter

Last edited by Team Lucas; 06-26-2016 at 02:48 PM. Reason: adding
Old 06-28-2016, 03:56 AM
expresscraft

I would get in touch with Chris at Dasboata props. props are what he does and he will have your best answers. there are other prop guys as well, Like Bob Austin and G-force. But Chris is who I know and have used. The 26 Zenoha will work fine in the Thundercat. All Of the gas motors have the torque to spin big props and push bigger boats. But RPM's is where your speed comes from. so the stock RPM's will still get you in the mid 40's. But a full mod Zenoha getting 18k plus RPm's will get you into the 50's. Over all I still feel the weak links in boats are the users. I have seen plenty of model boats with stock motors in the hands of the right guys go faster then lots of modelers with Modified motors and even known faster hulls.
Some of the stock motor racing classes get very good MPH speeds.
Old 06-28-2016, 10:19 AM
Team Lucas

I would get in touch with Chris at Dasboata props. props are what he does and he will have your best answers. there are other prop guys as well, Like Bob Austin and G-force. But Chris is who I know and have used. The 26 Zenoha will work fine in the Thundercat. All Of the gas motors have the torque to spin big props and push bigger boats. But RPM's is where your speed comes from. so the stock RPM's will still get you in the mid 40's. But a full mod Zenoha getting 18k plus RPm's will get you into the 50's. Over all I still feel the weak links in boats are the users. I have seen plenty of model boats with stock motors in the hands of the right guys go faster then lots of modelers with Modified motors and even known faster hulls.
I want to talk to you more on the Thunder cat in very near future, I'm not shy $ wise on the best setup for it. By the way what can I call you besides expresscraft? So RPMs is the key? that's why I saw a guy that's setting up a boat to use a rpm meter. Keep changing props to push the boat fast and get high rpms at the same time. Question about Mod Zenoha. Nitro days we use to lessen or add {been so long I forget, think we took away making higher compression} head shims/gasket and smooth and polish intake and exhaust. K&B use to offer cylinder sleeves with different size porting even. I have heard they do same things to mod a gasser, if that's the case, ill mod my new 26cc. I'm worried that if I put the 26 cc in the V24, it will be to my disappointment as in speed {guessing mid 40s with stock 26cc} like to acquire a bigger engine for it, so its on a shelf......I will get it in the water again, I don't sell my toys. going to start new forum for a Zippkit woody I'm going to put all my V24 hardware in, I hope you get on that forum.
Old 08-04-2016, 11:42 AM
Team Lucas

I'm done sanding, too old for this crap, I'm ready to buy a boat from you. Please reply, for I have questions
Old 08-04-2022, 03:33 AM
trainerf45

Is this turbo ninja tom? who owned a hobbystore in cocoa beach..If it is I use to buy from you back in the early 90s.