Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Electron retracts problem

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Electron retracts problem

Old 07-26-2016, 03:20 PM
bluelevel
My Feedback: (39)

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Electron retracts problem

I have problems with my electron retract set that I received from the factory in Spain last week and since they are on holiday right now, I hope that somebody else has an idea what the problem might be.

My rectracts are the ER40-evo and I also have the new GS-200 controller. Although the unit has all the radio setup done properly, the problem is that I get the retracts to move once only. They simply go to their respective endpoint and will not move again. For example I can get them to to the "gear down" position, but hitting the gear switch again doesn't do anything. I hear a faint clicking, but the retracts never move. The only way of changing this, is pulling the retract plug and putting it back in reversed. Then the retract will move to the OTHER endpoint but will again not move again. This is the same with all 3 retracts.

I have attached pictures of the GS-200 display:

- The 1st picture shows the "gear down" position. There is one red dot, the others are green. According to the manual, all dots should be red!
- The 2nd picture shows the display right after activating the gear switch and while the gear SHOULD be moving.
- The 3rd picture shows the "gear up" position.

Does anybody have any advice except waiting for 3 weeks until the factory is open again?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	390
Size:	245.4 KB
ID:	2174526   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	239.7 KB
ID:	2174527   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	233.7 KB
ID:	2174528  
Old 07-26-2016, 05:02 PM
Viper1GJ
My Feedback: (20)

Received 330 Likes on 217 Posts

Watching this thread. I just got a set of ER50s and the GS-200 controller but have not tried to set them up yet. Hope its an easy fix.

Gary
Old 07-26-2016, 05:05 PM
bluelevel

Just received a message from the factory, although it's in the middle of the night in Spain and the factory is closed for holidays. I was promised a new controller. Never thought I'd receive a reply from the before they reopen in August. Big thumbs up! Hopefully I'll get the new unit pretty soon and it fixes the problem.
Old 07-27-2016, 06:04 AM
Pondus
My Feedback: (1)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm sure it will get sorted, their customer service is incredible. I had trouble with a set of ER40'S a few years back and got a reply to my email on a Sunday afternoon. It was promptly fixed by sending them in to be fixed/upgraded to new spec. All free of charge. Have been fine ever since.
Old 07-28-2016, 06:56 PM
philjac94

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bluelevel

- The 1st picture shows the "gear down" position. There is one red dot, the others are green. According to the manual, all dots should be red!

The Row of Dots do Not indicate the Gear Position, they indicate the Doors, if connected to any of the 8 Ports opposite the Gear and Power Ports. Each Dot represents One Port.

Sounds like you have selected your gear in the same position on the module whether the switch is up or down.
Old 07-28-2016, 07:06 PM
bluelevel

Originally Posted by philjac94
The Row of Dots do Not indicate the Gear Position, they indicate the Doors, if connected to any of the 8 Ports opposite the Gear and Power Ports. Each Dot represents One Port.
OK, learned something. Didn't know that before and unfortunately the manual is not helping a lot either.

Sounds like you have selected your gear in the same position on the module whether the switch is up or down.
Sorry, don't understand what you mean by saying "selected your gear in the same position". The manual explains how to teach the radio functions and learning the gear up and gear down position. That's what I did. Don't understand what you are trying to say, can you be more specific?

Thomas
Old 07-28-2016, 07:12 PM
philjac94

See the attached screen shots, there is 3 Gear Buttons which can be switched from Up to Down Independently.

Name:	Capture2.PNG
Views:	187
Size:	253.1 KB
ID:	2174852   Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	144
Size:	214.3 KB
ID:	2174853  
Old 07-29-2016, 09:07 AM
bluelevel

See the attached screen shots, there is 3 Gear Buttons which can be switched from Up to Down Independently.
Thanks for this info and the screen shots, but I checked the settings in my unit and they are correct. It must be a faulty controller.
Old 07-29-2016, 12:36 PM
Thruster

There seems to be something with these units as mine developed an issue on the first flight with it permanently locking the left brake ON was fine during pre-flight checks. Nearly damaged my jet on landing as it veered off the runway and narrowly missed the fence post! Got a replacement one now so fingers crossed.

Otherwise I think this could be a great little unit once fully setup :-)
Old 07-29-2016, 06:47 PM
bluelevel

Have some of you tinkered with the gyro assisted braking to help steer the plane? This was actually the feature that made me chose this unit over the simpler standard controller. If so, which settings have you found to be the best for the gyro mix and the brake power?
Old 01-15-2017, 10:50 AM
peter w h

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Agreed- customer service is fantastic.

Electron replaced my first controller no problem, the new controller would not sequence correctly (one door would not program and stay to an open position).
Ok no big deal just reversed the +100 -100 at the servo setting and all was good and worked well.

Peter.

Last edited by peter w h; 01-16-2017 at 11:46 AM.
Old 01-15-2017, 11:24 AM
peter w h

Thomas,

I just reread your first post -- Mine was fine and now behaves exactly as you describe !

Peter.
Old 01-15-2017, 05:36 PM
Viper1GJ
My Feedback: (20)

Received 330 Likes on 217 Posts

Thomas,

I just got my ER-50s and GS-200 installed and programmed this week in my scratch built sport jet called Sabre XLT. See pic below. It weighs 65 lbs at T.O. Currently I have the brake pulse set at 1/3, steering mix at 20%, and gyro mix at 50%. These are mostly 1st guess settings based on nothing.

So far everything works ok except for 2 issues.

First the Power Up program will only operate in "Immediate" mode. I wanted to use "Check Switch" but no matter what I do it goes to the selected position when turned on even with "Check Switch" showing.

Second my right brake is much more powerful than the left brake. I had both brake limits set to 100%. I have the the new design brakes with the all metal discs with no brake pads. No matter what I programmed for brake steering or brake gyro assist it would pull hard right when brakeing. I had to drop the right brake limit to 65% to get controlled braking. Stopping power is less than 100% but it should be ok to test fly.

Xoel and Maria at Electron have been 100% helpful and fast when I had questions about ordering and exchanging struts for a different size.

Hope this helps.
Gary

Name:	IMG_1049.JPG
Views:	3595
Size:	4.28 MB
ID:	2196876  
Old 01-15-2017, 05:56 PM
Gary Jefferson
My Feedback: (167)

My experience with customer service has been great so far as well. I had the gears strip out on one of the mains after only a few cycles. Maria answered my email next day and had a new gear motor at my house in two days. The problem is fixed and customer service is as good as it gets in my opinion.
I have not used the gear in the plane yet since it is winter here but the operation of the controller, gear, and brakes on the bench is very smooth. The gear and controller are very high quality and I am looking forward to using them this summer.
Old 01-15-2017, 09:10 PM
bluelevel

Originally Posted by peter w h
Thomas,

I just reread your first post -- Mine was fine and now behaves exactly as you describe !

Peter.
Peter,

I suggest you send an email to Gaspar or Xoel with Xicoy at [email protected] . I am sure that you'll get a response within a few hours and I also assume that you'll have a new controller in the mail shortly.

Thomas
Old 01-16-2017, 07:58 AM
Gaspar

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Do you have a connector on the wings that share the lead to the motors of the retracts to the lead to the brakes? Recently I have seen the same issue on a customer who had issues with two controllers in same plane, and we tracked the problem to a soldering issue on one of the connectors, that was damaging the power stage of the controller in one sense of movement.

Gaspar
The following users liked this post:
powerjets (11-28-2020)
Old 01-16-2017, 09:32 AM
peter w h

Hello Gaspar,

First of all, thank you for the assistance and quick responses, Xoel has been fabulous, great customer service.

I selected Electron Retracts for my last two projects because of the outstanding quality of the product,
I now have a second reason, when I need help your right there.

To answer your question, the first controller failed in both directions, the gear was directly connected to the controller.

The second controller has failed in one direction and was connected through a factory made T/bolt (Ashlock) dual connector.

Peter H.

Last edited by peter w h; 01-16-2017 at 12:47 PM.
Old 09-10-2017, 08:55 AM
Spuetz

Default Electron GS-200 gyro-on-brakes: experience?

Hi everyone,

does anyone have a good starting value from experience for setting the gyro values to the differential brakes? I'm using it in a C&C Aermacchi M 346. I don't want to mix brakes with steering, just want to keep it straight when braking. My brakes tend to have different braking power, left and right and the jet tended to veer to one side when I applied the brakes. But what do I start with? 20%? 50%? more?

Name:	M 346 in flight dirty pass.jpeg
Views:	170
Size:	497.0 KB
ID:	2231180  
Old 09-11-2017, 01:29 AM
bluelevel

25% to 30% of proportional gain (not heading) is what I am using with all my planes.

Thomas
Old 09-11-2017, 01:32 AM
Spuetz

Thanks Thomas, that is very helpful. Would you mind telling me why you're not using heading hold? Have you tried it? What's not good about it, or, what's better about proportional gain?
And what values are you using for the front wheel steering?
Thanks.
Old 09-11-2017, 01:47 AM
bluelevel

Heading hold feels weird, I get a better response and braking action with proportional gyro gain. Nosewheel is hooked up to my Powerbox gyro.

Thomas
Old 09-11-2017, 02:06 AM
Spuetz

Got it. Again, very valuable information. Exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks.
And do you have the values for the Powerbox gyro on nose wheel, if you don't mind me asking? I guess you have it on nose wheel and rudder?
Cheers, Martin
Old 09-11-2017, 02:11 AM
bluelevel

Martin, 60% gain for the nose wheel, heading hold works fine with the PB gyros BUT ONLY if you are using a separate channel. That will only be possible with a PB Royal or a PB distribution box hooked up to an iGyro SRS. If you are using the smaller 3e gyro or the SRS without a Powerbox, you will most likely have the rudder connected to the gyro
Old 09-11-2017, 02:13 AM
Spuetz

super! Makes sense. Thanks.
Cheers, Martin
Old 09-14-2017, 06:13 AM
VK96

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just curious if anyone else has run into this issue. I've got an intermittent issue that keeps popping up. I've got the GS200 controller and as you can see in the video my nose wheel will begin moving erratically. As soon as I power cycle the controller the issue goes away. I've unplugged the NWS servo while it's doing this and plugged it directly into my CB200 and the issue goes away, telling me it's the controller. I've also plugged another servo into the controller while it's malfunctioning and that servo also moves erratically. I thought maybe it might be a gyro issue, but when applying the brake you can see the controller is not trying to provide differential braking. I'm not running the serial link from the CB200 and wonder if others have experienced the same problem? I've been in contact with Xoel and he can't provide an explanation. I love the system, but can't put the plane back in the air with this issue.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.