Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

AOPA - Positioning to be a CBO?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

AOPA - Positioning to be a CBO?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2016, 05:18 AM
franklin_m

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default AOPA - Positioning to be a CBO?

Digging around the net last night I stumbled on this.
https://www.aopa.org/go-fly/aircraft...ear-an-airport

Is AOPA positioning to be considered a CBO too? They would appear to do many if not all of the things necessary... the advocacy, education, and on this page some rules. I also note the organization path of the page is "Go Fly" then "Aircraft and Ownership" and then "Drones." So is AOPA saying that a drone is just one type of aircraft that people own?

As FAA said "model aircraft" are a subset of "all aircraft," then why couldn't someone argue they're a CBO too?
Old 08-10-2016, 06:49 AM
Rafael23cc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You are reading too much into it. I'm a member of AOPA as well as AMA. They are partners in making sure the drone issue does not become a bigger problem. For AMA is to keep modeling a sport and keep the FAA out of the hobby. For AOPA is to keep their members safe and to help guide hobbyists in the right direction (they are not all member of AMA, or even know that it exists). I am one of thousands of people that got started flying in RC and now fly full scale. Education is education doesn't matter where is comes from.

Rafael
Old 08-10-2016, 07:01 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Originally Posted by Rafael23cc
You are reading too much into it. I'm a member of AOPA as well as AMA. They are partners in making sure the drone issue does not become a bigger problem. For AMA is to keep modeling a sport and keep the FAA out of the hobby. For AOPA is to keep their members safe and to help guide hobbyists in the right direction (they are not all member of AMA, or even know that it exists). I am one of thousands of people that got started flying in RC and now fly full scale. Education is education doesn't matter where is comes from.

Rafael
You're absolutely correct on the education comment. Even more so on the reading too much into it comment. In all likelihood this will just become a criticism of the aopa, or the ama. Wait for it.
Old 08-10-2016, 07:12 AM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by porcia83
In all likelihood this will just become a criticism of the aopa, or the ama. Wait for it.
I make an honest observation and get this unprovoked response.
Old 08-10-2016, 07:16 AM
TimJ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rafael
100 percent what Rafael has explained!
Old 08-10-2016, 07:23 AM
franklin_m

Rafael

While I partially agree, the rules on flying your drone posted on the AOPA site are prescriptive. They're not worded like "..here's what drone fliers are being told..." It's guidance for their readers on how to fly safely. Is that education? Sure. Is it also forming the basis of a safety code? Could be. And why not? They've already got all the other parts of CBO requirements.
Old 08-10-2016, 07:44 AM
TimJ

Franklin on the drone side, I could see money to be made by the AOPA, so it is a possibility. If the AOPA is looking to increase their bottom line, this could be more than education. They could be scoping the waters to see if it would be worth it for them to jump into that market.

Interesting theory, but I still believe what Rafael has posted.
Old 08-10-2016, 08:02 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Last edited by init4fun; 08-14-2016 at 08:11 PM.
Old 08-10-2016, 08:44 AM
cj_rumley

Originally Posted by init4fun
This could very well be possible , but the possibility of AOPA as a CBO will be downplayed and minimalized here by those that see a second CBO as a challenge to the only operating CBO at present . Kinda like the reaction was to the SFA , Instead of being seen as a second option , this will be seen as a threat and will never be accepted by those that LCS so rightly termed "the AMAish" .
Exactly. It seems odd at first for AOPA to be a CBO as per Sec 336, but I can warm up to the idea real quick. "CBO, such as AMA" in government regulatory material is getting really trite, and has been from the start a thin veil covering a monopoly with government sanction. No CBO is better than one, but multiple CBOs would make it tolerable.
Old 08-10-2016, 08:56 AM
init4fun

Last edited by init4fun; 08-14-2016 at 08:12 PM. Reason: darned typos again ....
Old 08-10-2016, 11:05 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

Originally Posted by cj_rumley
Exactly. It seems odd at first for AOPA to be a CBO as per Sec 336, but I can warm up to the idea real quick. "CBO, such as AMA" in government regulatory material is getting really trite, and has been from the start a thin veil covering a monopoly with government sanction. No CBO is better than one, but multiple CBOs would make it tolerable.
A true miracle from heaven. I'm sure so many will be sleeping better tonight just knowing another CBO may exist.
Old 08-10-2016, 11:42 AM
TimJ

Originally Posted by chris p. Bacon
a true miracle from heaven. I'm sure so many will be sleeping better tonight just knowing another cbo may exist.
lol!
Old 08-10-2016, 12:01 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Originally Posted by TimJ
lol!
I know I'll be sleeping better tonight. First time since February 2003!
Old 08-10-2016, 12:36 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That very well may happen who knows, but I think it would be a good idea to have multiple CBO’s since congress has passed a law that revolves around RC aircraft having a CBO.
Old 08-10-2016, 01:16 PM
astrohog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I believe more choices = better (MOST of the time!)

I'm not pro or con for multiple CBO's, but here are some thoughts:

AOPA as a CBO would most likely be more restrictive than the AMA (to modelers) as they would likely be looking to protect the majority of their members (full-scale pilots). The whole reason the FAA is even messing with RC in the first place!!!!

I also believe that in this situation, IF there were multiple CBO's, and they all had widely varying safety rules, it would eventually force the FAA to either draft their own set of guidelines or adopt a single set of guidelines just for simplicity's sake.

Please think through all potentialities before simply adopting the more = better mantra.

Astro
Old 08-10-2016, 01:33 PM
init4fun

Last edited by init4fun; 08-14-2016 at 08:13 PM.
Old 08-10-2016, 04:10 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by franklin_m
I make an honest observation and get this unprovoked response.
Feeling guilty? Did I say you would be making those comments? The world is full of cynics and skeptics....
Old 08-10-2016, 04:11 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by ira d
That very well may happen who knows, but I think it would be a good idea to have multiple CBO’s since congress has passed a law that revolves around RC aircraft having a CBO.
Agree...the more the merrier.
Old 08-10-2016, 04:21 PM
astrohog

Agree...the more the merrier.
LOLOLOL!!!!!

EXCEPT when it comes to candidates? Convenient.

Astro
Old 08-10-2016, 04:29 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by astrohog
LOLOLOL!!!!!

Astro
Swing and a miss...but par for the course on petty antics. A weak and not even close comparison...but at least I made you smile.

But ya...more choice is almost always a good thing, but folks over the age of 12 understand there are limitations to this.
Old 08-10-2016, 04:36 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Originally Posted by astrohog
LOLOLOL!!!!!

Astro
Yeah, Astro is back! Any update on the Magic 14?
Old 08-10-2016, 04:39 PM
astrohog

Swing and a miss...but par for the course on petty antics. A weak and not even close comparison...but at least I made you smile.

But ya...more choice is almost always a good thing, but folks over the age of 12 understand there are limitations to this.
Well....if you say so......

Agree to disagree?

Astro
Old 08-10-2016, 05:12 PM
init4fun

Last edited by init4fun; 08-14-2016 at 08:13 PM.
Old 08-10-2016, 05:21 PM
Silent-AV8R

Ah man, it looks like the stupid AOPA also thinks benefits are for members!! What BS. Just another money grab:

https://www.aopa.org/membership/membership-benefits

I asked AAA yesterday why they don't offer their services to non-members, because they too are another organization that feels benefits are for members only.!!
Old 08-10-2016, 05:23 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Originally Posted by init4fun
Knocks it clear outta the park , home run for Astro !!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.