Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

"If I ran RCU..."

Old 10-07-2016, 04:27 PM
IBobi
My Feedback: (1)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default "If I ran RCU..."

Complete this sentence! The admins of this site are looking for your feedback!
Old 10-08-2016, 02:05 PM
JohnBuckner

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by IBobi
Complete this sentence! The admins of this site are looking for your feedback!
Well I would return the Beginners forum back to the 'Beginners'. And enforce the rules by relocating a few old timers who have been squatting for two years now in a huge thread in the beginners forum. Which by the way The OP stated in the very first post he liked the beginner for him and its kicked to the top almost every day and what do the the new folks see when they are looking for a beginners forum, The very top thread listing states no one over fifty ALLOWED!

It is an Offensive thread title to folks of all ages who are truly newbies and I have talked to a number of folks who changed their mind about posting after reading that. Also its my observation that in the last two years since that thread was posted the new folks who have posted needing help has drastically fallen.

New folks are the life blood of our hobby/sport and if we do not take care of them its not just RCU that will suffer but the entire hobby will fade away.

John

OBO there is virtually no beginners content in that entire thread, There is a forum for old timers but the OP just didn,t like it there.

Last edited by JohnBuckner; 10-08-2016 at 02:09 PM.
Old 10-08-2016, 06:35 PM
Gizmo-RCU
My Feedback: (27)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with John, There used to be a lot more beginners posting here and it would be good to seek out new "blood".
Perhaps a little advertising in model Mags. would help? Let folks know how to find RCU. Many really don't know about us.
Old 10-08-2016, 10:37 PM
Chris Nicastro
My Feedback: (3)

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Allow Credit Cards back as your method of payment in addition to PayPal instead of exclusively using PP.
I do not use PP and refuse to open an account. If you want your $3 send me a letter or allow credit cards back in the Marketplace.
Old 10-08-2016, 10:42 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would not lock or close threads because someone is discussing a bad product or service but would highly encourage the manufacture or service provider to post their sided of the story.
Old 10-09-2016, 05:46 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Changed my mind from my original post . I will say the site itself I have no complaints with and I wouldn't change anything .

Last edited by init4fun; 10-09-2016 at 07:58 AM.
Old 10-09-2016, 05:52 AM
iiievolution

If I ran RCU I would develop a better search function
Old 10-09-2016, 06:02 AM
flyboy2610

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Group the forums, at least in the aircraft section, better according to what the intended discussion area is. It can be confusing to find the proper forum.
Old 10-09-2016, 07:06 AM
kenh3497

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Up loading photos is a pain in the ass, and why would I want a gallery of previously uploaded photos??? I already have that gallery on my PC. Every page seems to load two or three times. Example; I click on pattern flying, the page loads and I click on the thread I want but now a different thread loads 'cause the page is jumping around like a flea on a dog. FWIW, I find RCG a much more friendly forum to use. I guess that's why I have 5000 posts there and 1200 here.

Ken Hanawalt
Old 10-09-2016, 07:35 AM
collector1231

If I ran RCU, I would see if we could get more users in here by means of advertising and raising us in the Google search for "RC forum." That'd be a lot of help.
Old 10-09-2016, 07:51 AM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Block quoted text for users on the ignore list...please
Old 10-09-2016, 08:13 AM
Joespeeder

HI,

I would link the photos to the original posts when you select "Display All Images" under Thread Tools.

Currently, as i find the image I need in the Display All Images of a thread there is no direct link to the post it came from in the thread.

I have to manually search for the post after finding the needed photo.

We need a direct link to go back and forth between the Photo on the Thumbnail page and on the Individual Photo back to the post within the thread.

Thanks.

Joe
Old 10-09-2016, 09:34 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

[h=2]"If I ran RCU..."[/h]
I'd hire people that actually care about fixing RCU
Old 10-09-2016, 03:50 PM
MX240
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Whoever you hired to design this new website spoiled it for a lot of us.
I have to sign in about every time I come here.
We use to list events now as far as I know...is gone?
I hardly come here anymore since the new webpage.
I see cars and more cars and drones then any other place.
The best airplane webpage now gone....
Old 10-09-2016, 06:29 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

The site needs an overhaul at several levels, imo.

Marketplace: it's not user friendly, I think it's cumbersome and time consuming to fill out. At one point I actually upgraded membership level to sell here, I have since dropped to a non paid level.

Overall site: I remember the older version, and the last change. Neither feel fresh or user friendly. It seems as though IB is determined to stick with this format and just repair or modify as needed. I'm not a website developer, I just know what works for me and what doesn't. Things like navigating the site, using the search function, and even logging in are problematic at times. I know RCU and RCG are different sites, but that format seems easier to use. Another site that is pretty user friendly is Wattflyer

Moderation/Support: The moderator lists should be reviewed and updated. You have folks that are moderators for threads that haven't been online (at least not logged in) for years. The mod for Battery forum hasn't been on for almost two years. The Rules and FAQ mod hasn't been on for over a year.
Might want to clarify the purpose for the FAQ and support threads as well. If there is a mod attached to it, I think most folks would presume when they ask a question, it will get answered by a staff member. That doesn't always happen, in fact it appears to be the exception, not the rule, when they do. If it's just a place to chat among users, it should be noted as such. Questions in the "Forum questions or Problem" threads also sometimes don't get answered, or there is a significant delay in doing so. The thread should be monitored on a daily basis to assist users. I've reached out personally to you and other mods/admins for assistance and always received prompt responses, but folks might know who you or the other mods and are get frustrated when they have problems that aren't being addressed right away.

Site promotion/Event Promotion: A year or so ago I thought I read that the staff at RCU was going to be getting out to events and reporting back on them ( I could be mistaken on that however). How about the Team RCU pilots? They are the best ones to give unique perspectives about the events they travel to throughout the year. Even if staff/employees can't do it, why not create a forum for events and have roving reporters do stories on these. I note there is a general thread about events, shows, and fun flys, but that seems to used more as an announcement, or calendar function. Does RCU help support any functions, and if not, that might be something to look into.

One last thing. Some follow up on this thread might be nice. It's great to be asked as a consumer what can be done better, and as you've already seen, you'll get responses. It's easy to ask, and easy to respond to the questions, but it would be great to see if any of the ideas or suggestions are follow up on, and if so, which ones. Some might not be possible or realistic, it would be nice to hear about those as well, and why that's the case.

Thanks for asking though!
Old 10-10-2016, 04:34 AM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by mr_matt
Block quoted text for users on the ignore list...please
+1 That would be great.

Mike
Old 10-10-2016, 06:02 AM
cessnaflyer54
My Feedback: (68)

I used to be able to send an e-mail to a seller with no problems, now I send one and it gets bounced back as mailer demon. I quit trying to sell stuff on this site, cause it's a pain in the *****. Can't e-mail buyers or sellers without getting mailer demons. Needs to be fixed Please.
Old 10-10-2016, 07:25 AM
franklin_m

Throttle way back on the script based content, specifically it seems to be advertising.

Can't tell you how many times they hang up and bring site to a stop for me. Whether on home PC & home network (Linux running Firefox on Comcast cable internet) or work PC (Windows PC, IE11, corporate network).
Old 10-10-2016, 07:26 AM
Jennifer Curtis

First I would ban any personal attacks.
For the first offence - warning
Second offense - two week suspension
Third offense - two month suspension
Fourth offence - permanent ban

I would also ban any derogatory comments
about any religion with the same penalties.

Political comments not directly related to
modeling would be strongly discouraged
and result in warnings but not suspensions
unless it became hostile.

Then:

I would reduce the number of categories dramatically
and group them differently. I'm interested in flying
models so here is how I would organize them:

Flying:
------
Airplanes, sport
Airplanes, aerobatic/competition
Airplanes, gilders
Helicopters and multirotor
FPV
Member Videos
Events

Building
---------
Kits, plans, and scratch built
ARFs
Scale considerations
Tips and Techniques

Power Systems
------------
Electric
Piston/rotary combustion
Turbine and rocket
Rubber, CO2, etc
Tachometer readings

Aerodynamics and design theory

Flight Simulators

Radio Equipment

Reviews
---------
Airplanes
Helicopters
Radio equipment
Power systems, electric
Power systems, fuel

Social and political
--------------------
Club and local issues
National and international issues.

Clubhouse
----------
General interest
Humor

I intentionally left beginners out of this
list. I think that beginners should post
their topics with everyone else, and have
the benefit of everyone's knowledge, and
to offer their insights to benefit everyone.

Jenny
Old 10-10-2016, 07:33 AM
Gizmo-RCU

Jenny,

You really put effort into this WOW, good show!

(any job offer yet?)
Old 10-10-2016, 08:46 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnBuckner
Well I would return the Beginners forum back to the 'Beginners'. And enforce the rules by relocating a few old timers who have been squatting for two years now in a huge thread in the beginners forum. Which by the way The OP stated in the very first post he liked the beginner for him and its kicked to the top almost every day and what do the the new folks see when they are looking for a beginners forum, The very top thread listing states no one over fifty ALLOWED!

It is an Offensive thread title to folks of all ages who are truly newbies and I have talked to a number of folks who changed their mind about posting after reading that. Also its my observation that in the last two years since that thread was posted the new folks who have posted needing help has drastically fallen.

New folks are the life blood of our hobby/sport and if we do not take care of them its not just RCU that will suffer but the entire hobby will fade away.

John

OBO there is virtually no beginners content in that entire thread, There is a forum for old timers but the OP just didn,t like it there.
John,
PM me with your concerns and a little more detailed account of what is going on there. I used to stay in the Beginners forum quite a bit, but haven't been back in quite some time. If that forum needs a boot in the butt let me know and we'll get it taken care of.
Old 10-10-2016, 08:49 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by porcia83

Moderation/Support: The moderator lists should be reviewed and updated. You have folks that are moderators for threads that haven't been online (at least not logged in) for years. The mod for Battery forum hasn't been on for almost two years. The Rules and FAQ mod hasn't been on for over a year.
A review of the Moderators is in the works and I will be putting out a call for new moderators very soon. I absolutely know that there are many areas that needs Moderators and I need to find people to fill in for forums that have no/or little moderation.

Ken
Old 10-10-2016, 10:19 AM
LJE4357
Banned
My Feedback: (74)

I will say that RCG is a lot easier to use. I find it easier to find my way around. But there are other issue I have had on RCG but not RCU. There seem to be a lot less people getting screwed. Infact I have only had one problem on RCU, ever since I been on it. I gave up counting the problems I had on RCG. I think RCU would get a lot more people to join it if it was easier to use. And your right about using Paypal. If your a seller, your going to get screwed. You have no protection

My 2 cents worth
Old 10-10-2016, 02:41 PM
flyboy2610

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

I agree about PayPal. I don't use it, and I won't use it. For both financial and philosophical reasons. Method of payment should be worked out agreeably between seller and buyer.
Old 10-10-2016, 03:57 PM
Gizmo-RCU

I have used Pay Pal for many years, both as a buyer and seller with no problems. If you do an honest deal you have no worries. I have been ripped off twice on RCU by extending a little trust...........
The option should be between the two party's in my opinion.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.