Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Tamiya Egress

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2017, 05:10 PM
Khari1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tamiya Egress

Hey folks, first time poster here.

I had a Royal Ripper in the '80s followed by a Blackfoot, and I built my brother's Big Bear. I promptly beat the hell out of the Blackfoot and forgot about the hobby until around Christmas time '16, when I came across the Blackfoot chassis in my parents' basement. A few dollars and a few hours later, the Blackfoot lives again! My son took a liking to it so I decided to get him a car. We had a good time building the Frog and he loves it.

After turning the revived Blackfoot over a couple times, I decided I need to get a buggy. I started looking around and decided on the Tamiya Egress. This car is higher end than I'm used to, so I have a couple questions I'm hoping you can help with.

First, I'm looking at the Reedy Radon 17T motor and Reedy SC550 ESC. Any issues with these? I know that If I'm into this hobby for a while I'll get into BL motors, better batteries and other manufacturers of cars, but for now I want to keep it simple. Thoughts?

Second, Tower Hobbies' website says I need a "high torque servo". Would the Futaba S3004 do the trick?

Last, at least initially, I'll probably be using it on pavement. Any good wheels and street tires you'd recommend?

Thanks for all your help.
Old 02-21-2017, 05:22 PM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Egress...awesomeness!

First, welcome to RCU.

I have not seen too much on the SC550 ESC. That's a good thing. The same goes for the Radon 17T motor. Which is why I got one for my stadium truck I'm building. My question is...did you buy the ESC and motor yet?

That Futaba servo you mentioned is more of a basic standard servo. Not the best for controlling an off-road buggy with a moderate power plant IMO. For a few more dollars you could have a very good servo with more torque and speed.
Old 02-21-2017, 05:40 PM
Khari1

Nope, haven't bought any of it yet, I was trying to get a feel for whether there were any pitfalls with any of these items. Which Futaba servo would you recommend? They make so many...

I'm open to suggestions. My only requirement is that the motor be brushed. I'm not ready to get into brushless.
Old 02-21-2017, 06:40 PM
RustyUs

Originally Posted by Khari1

....Second, Tower Hobbies' website says I need a "high torque servo". Would the Futaba S3004 do the trick?...

How much "high torque" does one need? Good question.

Me personally, I don't use servos with anything less than 80 oz-in and they have to be 0.15 seconds or faster (@ 60°)...and digital. Those minimum specs are for lite 1/10 scale off-road buggies and trucks. For 1:8 scale off-road I'd use nothing less than 200 oz-in. That is just something of a minimal torque generalization for me. Of course, one can always go overboard if they want.

I don't know how we ever did any RCing with what was available back in the day .

Last edited by RustyUs; 02-22-2017 at 03:54 AM.
Old 02-22-2017, 04:06 AM
RustyUs

Originally Posted by Khari1
Nope, haven't bought any of it yet, I was trying to get a feel for whether there were any pitfalls with any of these items. Which Futaba servo would you recommend? They make so many...

I'm open to suggestions. My only requirement is that the motor be brushed. I'm not ready to get into brushless.
That Reedy SC550 ESC may be a decent ESC, as I have used earlier versions, but I would not pay full retail for one. Same Reedy SC550 ESC from eBay chop shop HERE. Unless you don't care about the price...for a great ESC and less than half of what the SC550 cost at retail...Hobbywing QuicRun 1060 60A . Either of those two speed controls should fit.

Last edited by RustyUs; 02-23-2017 at 03:37 PM.
Old 02-22-2017, 04:23 AM
RustyUs

Maybe some other folks will show up with Futaba servo suggestions. I don't know how much you want to spend... you can go from mild to wild real quick. If it has to be a Futaba servo and buying from Tower Hobbies, the closest one that would meet my requirments costs $84.99. My pick for a mid priced servo...Hitec HS-5625MG Digital High-Speed Metal Gear BB Servo. There are crap loads of brand choices, but Hitec has always stood the test of time for me when I chose a mid priced servo to be used in my RCs.
Old 02-22-2017, 07:16 AM
Khari1

Awesome. I'll check out that servo and ESC. Thanks for your help RustyUs!
Old 03-05-2017, 01:38 PM
Rowdyray

I don't know about that ESC. I do know the Reedy Radon 17T is a great motor.Using one in my ECX Circuit right now. Way better than either of their 20T or 15T motors. Just ordered a second for back up.

You were asking about street tires. Ordered these off Ebay. Won't work for me. Better suited for a buggy. 12MM hub. PM me. Only care about shipping