Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Spectrum Receiver connection wires

Old 02-20-2017, 07:34 PM
K.O.
My Feedback: (16)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spectrum Receiver connection wires

Does anyone have experience lengthening the receiver connecting wires ? I need to go from 35" to 48". I know its not recommended by the mfg. but I believe glider pilots do it

K.O.
Old 02-21-2017, 07:45 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What do you mean by lengthening receiver connecting wires? Do you mean from the battery or ESC to the receiver or to the individual servos from the receiver? In either case, make sure that the material and size are adequate for the current demands. If you do that, you can do fairly long extensions. They do make extensions for servos that you can simply insert between the servos and receiver in several lengths. An easy way (if you can solder) is to just cut the existing wires in two and solder in whatever length of wire you need. This is more reliable than the extension leads as the connectors (especially if hidden and not exercised often) will corrode and cause problems later on. In short, the answer is YES you can do this if you use the proper material and techniques.
Old 02-21-2017, 11:07 AM
K.O.

Rodney

The wires I'm referring to are the wires that connect the remote receivers on Spectrum RX. In my case there are 4 remote receivers. I want place one near the tail of the plane.

K.O.
Old 02-21-2017, 01:49 PM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by K.O.
Rodney

The wires I'm referring to are the wires that connect the remote receivers on Spectrum RX. In my case there are 4 remote receivers. I want place one near the tail of the plane.

K.O.
I don't think 48" is going to be a problem but I would suggest that you buy the antenna extensions which utilize a conventional servo lead for most of the length.
Old 02-25-2017, 07:48 PM
K.O.

For anyone interested I measured the resistance of a 36" extension wire and read .6 ohms. Then I soldered a 10" extension using the same kind of wire and remeasured. The reading was .9 ohms.
Granted I basically doubled the resistance but I doubt that small of increase will have an effect on an RF signal. I'll do some further checking to compare fades with the other receivers.

K.O.
Old 02-25-2017, 09:54 PM
Zeeb

I guess I'm just curious why you came here and bothered people for advice, when you already had your mind made up about what you were going to do?
Old 02-26-2017, 07:09 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Zeeb
I guess I'm just curious why you came here and bothered people for advice, when you already had your mind made up about what you were going to do?
Hi Zeeb ,

I agree 100% with your question , why ask folks what should be done , only to do it some other , pre planned way instead ?

As to extending the wires going to the satellite RXs ; If the manufacturer recommends no greater than 36" , they did so for a reason . Now unless I knew for fact what that reason was , and knew that it was for example they didn't want to make longer ones because of little demand VS something like a signal loss issue at the longer length , there is no way I'd take the gamble with my plane and go playing Engineer as though I knew more than the folks who designed and built the equipment . I would instead seek to locate all the electronics in such a way that no satellite needed to be further than 36" away from the main RX , even if that 3 feet doesn't represent as far as it could go , length of aircraft wise .

Last edited by init4fun; 02-26-2017 at 07:20 AM.
Old 02-26-2017, 07:48 AM
K.O.

I don't understand the bother comments. I only asked for anyone with experience and its obvious you only have opinions. When you think about it most ideas and innovations come from the hobbyist. Most people accept what is and not what could be. If you know the Spectrum system the system will perform with only 3 satellite receivers therefore little chance of a problem if the 4th one. I also said I would do some further checking comparing fades to the other 3 receivers.

Lastly not sure why the snide follow up remarks remarks. If you were so bothered and or had something positive to contribute you shouldn't have responded in the 1st place.

K.O.
Old 02-26-2017, 09:18 AM
Zeeb

I don't understand the bother comments. I only asked for anyone with experience and its obvious you only have opinions. When you think about it most ideas and innovations come from the hobbyist. Most people accept what is and not what could be. If you know the Spectrum system the system will perform with only 3 satellite receivers therefore little chance of a problem if the 4th one. I also said I would do some further checking comparing fades to the other 3 receivers.

Lastly not sure why the snide follow up remarks remarks. If you were so bothered and or had something positive to contribute you shouldn't have responded in the 1st place.

K.O.
Well here is where you are wrong assuming that I do not know the Spektrum systems. First, by mentioning that you have four satellites or remotes as Spektrum prefers to call them now, that you have a PowerSafe rx of the older style.

Second, higher channel count rx will function with only three receiving units be they remotes or built into the main unit and you must use the "A" port if you only use three, or it will not function. All the upper channel count rx's require three RF sections; some have two in the main unit, some only one and those must add the required remotes to make three total.

Third, once turned on and linked, the system will function on only one RF unit until it is shut off as a safety feature.

Fourth, while I cannot quote chapter and verse right now, IIRC the max length on a remote lead is 48" not 36". I suggested using the extension which splits in two halves allowing the use of a regular servo lead which has larger wires and thus less impedance.

Bye the way, you spelled Spektrum wrong.

Last edited by Zeeb; 02-26-2017 at 09:21 AM.
Old 02-26-2017, 10:36 AM
topspin

K.O.
HI K.O., I have experience with Spektrum receivers and extension receivers but I have never needed to lengthen the connections between them.

My suggestion would be to contact Spektrum or one of the techs at Horizon and see what they say. They would almost certainly know more about it than anyone on this website.
Old 03-06-2017, 06:02 PM
Tyloves2fly

Hi I have a quick question, I have a Spectrum receiver and Tactic servos, I am trying to make it where I can bind my Flyzone Sensei to my DX6 and the servo wires don't fit on the Spectrum receiver. Could anybody help me? Thanks!!!
Old 03-07-2017, 07:29 AM
AndyKunz

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Do your servos have a little tab on them? If so, you clip the tab off and you might also need to bevel the corners. Those would be Futaba-style connectors, rather than the industry standard style.

Andy
Old 03-07-2017, 07:29 PM
Tyloves2fly

Thanks Andy, how best might I do that I was thinking sandpaper, would that be a bad idea?
Old 03-08-2017, 11:23 AM
AndyKunz

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Most folks use dikes or a #11 blade to do everything.

Andy