Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

AMT USA 280 Manual Needed

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

AMT USA 280 Manual Needed

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2017, 12:06 PM
lov2flyrc
My Feedback: (24)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AMT USA 280 Manual Needed

I am servicing a very early (roughly 2001) AMT USA 280 for a customer; we have no GSU or manual for this USA version ECU and we have been unable to figure out how to program the throttle limits into the ECU. I can start the engine by advancing throttle to full and obtain idle, but the engine shuts down as soon as throttle is reduced to idle. With no display for reference and nothing to reference regarding the Morse code beeps, I have not been able to figure out the programming.
Would anyone happen to have an older AMT USA manual that covers their ECU programming steps? ECU is Rev 5.1 with an RJ11 data terminal jack?.... Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Todd
Old 02-23-2017, 01:25 PM
Ruizmilton
My Feedback: (29)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Old 02-23-2017, 01:26 PM
Ruizmilton
My Feedback: (29)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Sorry saw your ECU has an rj11 jack, don't know about tha one...
Old 02-23-2017, 02:46 PM
lov2flyrc

Full auto start version
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	2017-02-23 17.40.49.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	1.87 MB
ID:	2202426   Click image for larger version

Name:	2017-02-23 17.40.57.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	1.62 MB
ID:	2202427   Click image for larger version

Name:	2017-02-23 17.41.16.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	1.64 MB
ID:	2202428  
Old 02-23-2017, 04:21 PM
CraigG
My Feedback: (40)

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by lov2flyrc
I am servicing a very early (roughly 2001) AMT USA 280 for a customer; we have no GSU or manual for this USA version ECU and we have been unable to figure out how to program the throttle limits into the ECU. I can start the engine by advancing throttle to full and obtain idle, but the engine shuts down as soon as throttle is reduced to idle. With no display for reference and nothing to reference regarding the Morse code beeps, I have not been able to figure out the programming.
Would anyone happen to have an older AMT USA manual that covers their ECU programming steps? ECU is Rev 5.1 with an RJ11 data terminal jack?.... Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Todd
Todd,
I'l look and see if I can find one of my old AMT "manuals". I do recall that you have to "teach" the trim and throttle position on every powerup. Seems like you move the trim from low, to mid, to high and then throttle to high....waiting for a beep each time. Sometimes you have to do it two or three times in a row before it works right. It was one of the few ECU's that did an auto rpm advance for a few seconds on shutdown if you moved the trim to the mid position.

Maybe Buck will see this and remember better than me.

Craig
Old 02-23-2017, 05:16 PM
LGM Graphix
My Feedback: (22)

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

You need it set up on two channels. One throttle and one 3 position switch. You need to teach it before start. Cycle the 3 position switch from low to mid to high until you hear 3 beeps. Low mid and high. Put the switch in low. Cycle the throttle stick until you hear 3 beeps lo mid and high. Then put the throttle in low. Put the switch to high and it should start the engine.
Old 02-23-2017, 06:22 PM
yeahbaby
My Feedback: (21)

Received 58 Likes on 47 Posts

yup that's it, 3 pos switch or rotary knob And ensure throttle range gets the beeps after you learn RC, if not increase throrrle travel until you do. . Cycle the 3 pos switch or rotary knob to learn RC. easy peezy
Old 02-23-2017, 07:14 PM
SECRET AGENT
My Feedback: (18)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

But when do you have to spin around three times and clap twice, before or after the three beeps?
Old 02-23-2017, 10:28 PM
c/f
My Feedback: (1)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I have 7 auto air start AMT all from 2000-2005, I have all the original manuals as well, That ECU is not what came with full auto air starts, thats the one that came with the electric start version. It was completely different and did not need the second rx channel.

I did not read but figure by looking at ecu labeling it is an electric start. They do need to be armed with a 3 position refference of the throttle trim tab versus the second channel that air starts need. Low trim Low Throttle would be OFF, Full trim would be RUN, and center trim would be OK to START would be my best guess. upon powering on ECU, you would need to cycle thru the 3 positions of the trim tab from lo to hi to center this would promote the ability to start, you then confirm it is truelly ready by moving main throttle stick from lo/ mid/ hi, and each position will confirm with a beep.

Once confirmed the center trim tab would move to full which should be RUN to initiate the start sequence, once running you need to advance to full throttle to set the MAX throttle parameters. This MAX throttle parameter teaching is only needed one time per the flying session. I was told its a smart learning for the temps/ density altitude of the day. It will learn each time it is taught but it will retain last teach as a rule.

To shut down you would move trim to center position, which will initiate a temperature stable increase of rpms, then it will shutdown on its own. The Lo trim is used as a emergency shutdown with no temp stable sequence.

Hope this helps.........
Old 02-24-2017, 04:33 AM
Randy M.
My Feedback: (38)

The second channel on that ecu was optional. If you just used the throttle channel, it would automatically calibrate upon turning on. Could do electric start or air start.
Old 02-24-2017, 06:25 AM
lov2flyrc

Many Thanks for the guidance gentlemen! Indeed, this is an electric autostart version. Will give these procedures a try today... Fingers crossed :-)
Old 02-24-2017, 06:55 AM
c/f

Todd,

Glad to provide some insight, This is off memory since the AT 400 I purchased as an electric start had that ECU and upon reading manual and having 6 other AMT air start varieties, I just returned it for a AT400 airstart. In hindsight it was a good move cause my AT400 is a beast and runs flawless . The AT 400 was the transition point of AMT WV to OH. John Liggons told me the AT400 E-start had problems they where sorting out.
Old 03-07-2017, 09:03 PM
c/f

Todd,
I found the OEM manual for that ECU should you want it for your records, PM and I will get them headed your way.