Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

JR 1131BPU Receiver

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

JR 1131BPU Receiver

Old 02-24-2017, 08:00 AM
Eaglepilot2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JR 1131BPU Receiver

Can someone tell me if the electric switch (soft start) eliminates the need for a traditional switch? It appears that it does, but I've not had any experience with this type of receiver and just trying to figure it out. Obviously the two power leads plug directly into the batteries, but I can't get used to not having a traditional switch if it does eliminate the need for one. Just unplugging the electric switch to go fly seems a bit frightening to me!

Thanks,
Old 02-24-2017, 09:48 AM
Airforce7
My Feedback: (31)

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I have this Rx in my J-10. It's a great Rx and I have another one going in an F-18. The switch that comes with the Rx plugs directly into a port and you can power on/off with it. If you unplug the switch from the port with the batteries plugged in the Rx stays on. I don't think you can use a separate switch as the leads go to/from the port directly. I have not had any issues with this Rx or switch functionality since I've been flying my J-10.
Old 02-24-2017, 11:08 AM
Len Todd

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Nope! The Rxer is still using power when it is switched off. It is just not supplying power downstream of the Rxer. However, the amount of power used when the Rxer is switched off is very low. Consequently, the Rxer's switch is good for a "day switch." But if you are putting the plane away for several days or more,... now you need to either have a battery switch(s) or disconnect the battery.
Old 02-24-2017, 11:40 AM
Eaglepilot2

Thanks for the replies. So is there anyway to add a regular switch or do I just need to plan on unplugging the batteries after a day of flying and using the electric switch between flights? It appears to be a solid system, just different from what I'm used to.
Old 02-24-2017, 12:32 PM
Dave Wilshere

Received 731 Likes on 527 Posts

The Rx does not regulate. So servos need to work at the input voltage going through the Rx, I use either a Powerbox Sensor Switch or Gemini II to power it. If you do that you leave the soft switch and lead permantly out.
Old 02-24-2017, 02:29 PM
tp777fo
My Feedback: (28)

Received 126 Likes on 87 Posts

Ive got several JR rx's with the soft switch. It works fine. I put the off plug on my neck strap so I knownwhere it is. One word of caution...pull the plug...not the wire as jt is thin and will break. A bind plug does the same thing if you break the original one.
Old 02-24-2017, 03:17 PM
Len Todd

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Eaglepilot2
Thanks for the replies. So is there anyway to add a regular switch or do I just need to plan on unplugging the batteries after a day of flying and using the electric switch between flights? It appears to be a solid system, just different from what I'm used to.
That will work fine unless you can't get at the battery connections. Any switches you put in between the batteries and the RXer are more potential failure points. Also, any switches you put between the batteries and the Rxer have to be rated to handle all the current that will pass thru them. The typical switch with JR connectors can't handle all the current for large planes. ElectroDynamics has some switches that are rated for high current. There are other suppliers out there also.

But, I just disconnect the batteries. I pull them out for charging anyway cause they are LiPos. Also, if you keep the batteries accessible, you can swap them out mid-day w/o having to stop flying while waiting for internally mounted batteries to charge.
Old 02-24-2017, 04:26 PM
sjhanc
My Feedback: (3)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You could use the arming plugs that the electric guys use to make the connection between high power (50.4 volts 90 amps+) lipo packs and the ESC (motor control). We have to use the Red Schofield designed spark eliminator circuit but you don't need that for less than 30 amps. The arming plug itself is a male Deans plug with the two terminals connected and covered with heat shrink. The female deans mounts in a circular plastic flange that you install in a convenient location on your plane. I think the brand name Is Shumacher products. one version has male and female Deans plugs already installed. For two receiver packs two arming plugs are needed.I tried to upload a picture but the webpage won't co-operate. Just google RC airplane Deans arming plugs.
Old 02-24-2017, 04:29 PM
sjhanc
My Feedback: (3)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Max products sells a similar arming plug using sermos connectors. I prefer the Deans style but both of them work well.
Old 02-24-2017, 05:23 PM
Eaglepilot2

Thanks guys! All good information. I can get to the batteries pretty easily so it shouldn't be a problem. I feel much more confident than I did before. I've been out of flying for a few years and trying to sort out all the newer equipment.
Thanks again for all the help!