Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

My first Tamiya kit... which Tx/Rx?

Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

My first Tamiya kit... which Tx/Rx?

Old 02-25-2017, 06:31 AM
sgtparker01

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My first Tamiya kit... which Tx/Rx?

I'm looking to get my first Tamiya kit this weekend, either the tiger 1 or the leopard. Just needing to know which Tx/Rx would be the less expensive and hassle free to match up to those kits. Any help would be great, thanks...
Old 02-25-2017, 06:43 AM
TheBennyB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you want just a solid 4 ch to do the functions that come with the tank you can't go wrong with the futaba skysport 4YF 2.4. The only mod I do to this TX is wire in a momentary button on the cannon channel potentiometer so you don't have to do the trim up/stick up movement to fire the main gun. If you want more available channels for novelty functions their are a couple options, but I'm not familiar with those radios. Some others will chime in I'm sure.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Futaba-4YF-2...IAAOSwEzxYPnuC

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-10Pcs-...YAAOSw37tV~iaS
Old 02-25-2017, 07:53 AM
ausf

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you haven't bought it yet, check out Banzai Hobby. They're in Japan, so you get the Futaba Attack Tx/Rx included free. Yes, EMS shipping (usually 2 days) will be around $90 or so, but the kit price will be cheaper than anything I've ever found in the US and you get the Tx even if it wasn't. Also comes with a battery/charger but that's a small cap.
Old 02-25-2017, 08:10 AM
regsbyg

Banzai is a great option, but they have no full option kits in stock right now. I got my js-2 from them with everything in the box. I emailed and they replied that they don't know when they will get Tamya kits back in stock. Maybe there is an issue with them selling Japanese market kits(the ones that come with rx/tx ) to overseas customers at really great prices. To bad as I wanted to start an Israeli M-51 Sherman. Have a bunch of upgrade parts, new hull, engine deck, etc.but waited to long to order kit from them. I will wait a bit longer and see what plays out.
Old 02-25-2017, 09:15 AM
TheBennyB

Think there are possible issues with the Attack TX with the Leopard. Thought some were having troubles engaging some functions especially the barrel stabilization unit if you go that route. Again this only applies to the Leopard.
Old 02-25-2017, 09:49 AM
ausf

Originally Posted by regsbyg
Banzai is a great option, but they have no full option kits in stock right now. I got my js-2 from them with everything in the box. I emailed and they replied that they don't know when they will get Tamya kits back in stock. Maybe there is an issue with them selling Japanese market kits(the ones that come with rx/tx ) to overseas customers at really great prices. To bad as I wanted to start an Israeli M-51 Sherman. Have a bunch of upgrade parts, new hull, engine deck, etc.but waited to long to order kit from them. I will wait a bit longer and see what plays out.
Didn't know that, I haven't been shopping for a new tank in a while.

Makes sense, the deal was so good, I bet US distribution put the kibosh on it.

I was importing and sell Voyager for years. I double my cost as retail which is basically a normal wholesale deal. Only most US sellers sold 4 times that and constantly complained to Voyager, who constantly asked me to raise prices.

You can buy Iwata from Japan for a fraction of US costs,My last Kustom retailed in the mid $400s here, but I bought it from Japan for $147 shipped. It came in a cardboard box, not a metal case and the manual is in Japanese, but otherwise it's identical.
Old 02-25-2017, 11:44 AM
sgtparker01

Thanks for all the info guys, I did see a few kits from Japan on ebay but pretty much were over 1000.00 plus shipping.
best deal I found so far for the leopard is around 900.00 here in the states with free shipping.

Old 02-25-2017, 11:46 AM
sgtparker01

Originally Posted by regsbyg
I did see a few of the Shermans that you are looking for, around 650.00 on up with around a 100.00 shipping, but i think those were from Hong Kong.
Old 02-25-2017, 12:02 PM
sgtparker01

Originally Posted by TheBennyB
Think there are possible issues with the Attack TX with the Leopard. Thought some were having troubles engaging some functions especially the barrel stabilization unit if you go that route. Again this only applies to the Leopard.

I'm looking at getting the radio that you put a link to.
Old 02-25-2017, 03:30 PM
sgtparker01

Well, I pulled the trigger and got the leo, Getting ready to buy the radio, cant wait to get all this and get started on the build. May go with the desert camo on this build.
Old 02-25-2017, 04:01 PM
Jeff489
My Feedback: (12)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Just be aware that if you buy a Tamiya tank kit from a foreign vendor, don't try to get Tamiya USA to honor the warranty. Warranty services are handled by Tamiya, but only in the region where the vendor is.

As to radio's, you can't go wrong with a Futaba.
Old 02-25-2017, 04:16 PM
sgtparker01

I got the leo and the futaba 4yf radio from Omni models, there located in Ill. so I should be good with the warranty.
Old 02-25-2017, 05:04 PM
ausf

Omni is one of my favorite online shops, can't go wrong with them. They're Tower Hobbies, but someone a bit cheaper (I have no idea how that works, but I don't question it either).
Old 03-01-2017, 09:27 AM
sgtparker01

well my leo came in with the radio, really impressed with the the packaging and detail in parts. Will try to do a build thread on here. this will be my first build. Going to take my time on this one but hopefully it will turn out great.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20170301_110824.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	3.62 MB
ID:	2203527   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170301_110835.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	2.90 MB
ID:	2203528   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170301_110936.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	4.31 MB
ID:	2203529  
Old 03-01-2017, 10:55 AM
ausf

Congrats, you're gonna love it. It's a suitcase of goodness.

I'd grab a bunch of small containers to keep all the hardware in. They're marked and referenced in the instruction, it's easy if you have all the A, B, C, D parts, etc in cups or something instead of rifling through bags.

Also, a few years back Tamiya started using ABS on some parts like road wheels (don't know why, the polystyrene holds up great), so pay attention. Again, it's in the instructions and marked on the sprue (PS, ABS).

If you're not familiar, normal modeling cement is for PS and won't hold ABS. You'll need Tamiya Extra thin, PlastiWeld, Tenax or any MEK or methyl chloride based glue.
Old 03-01-2017, 11:09 AM
sgtparker01

thanks for the info, after looking at the directions, its going to take awhile to finish this, but im not in a hurry, will be a good learning experience for me. going to have to make a trip to get some ceramic grease, is lithium grease the same thing? never mind, it comes with ceramic grease. Guess I should have looked at all the parts.

Last edited by sgtparker01; 03-01-2017 at 11:37 AM.
Old 03-01-2017, 11:13 AM
TheBennyB

Congrats on the tank! Depending on how much your going to bash this sucker you may want to look into upgrading the swing arms to metal. The plastic ones can flex, but again this is only under extreme conditions. Plenty of people still running fine with plastic, just a heads up so you can do at that step of the build process if you like instead of going back and doing it.

http://www.tankzone.co.uk/cart/acc_l2a6.htm

http://www.afv-model.com/4711shop/pr...roducts_id=255
Old 03-08-2017, 01:16 PM
sgtparker01

I got the swingarm and the spring to make my futaba 4yf radio left stick self centering, is there directions or a video I can watch to show me how to install this kit? thanks

Last edited by sgtparker01; 03-08-2017 at 01:31 PM.
Old 03-08-2017, 02:15 PM
sgtparker01

I figured it out, got it installed but the spring seems weaker then the other ones but it works.
Old 03-08-2017, 02:26 PM
TheBennyB

Yea they seem a bit weaker for some reason. You could open the TX again and pull out that spring to remove a loop or 2 from the spring then bend up a loop to attach it again.