Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

The Chinese way ?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

The Chinese way ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2017, 03:12 AM
CptNouney

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Chinese way ?

Hello everyone.I just joined the Rc community which is great and long overdue !
I got a XUAV Skysurfer 1400 which is if i understand, some Chinese variants of the Skysurfer.

I am a complete noob, this is my first plane ever, and in China i do not know anyone to relate to Rc as this is a new thing around here really.You see lots of drones, but hardly ever you spot a plane.

First mistake i made was (due to bad Chinese - English communication) to get the KIT version, instead of the RTF.I had to build from scratch, and having never done it, it was quite tricky, specially having trouble finding informations on that plane.

But i made it ! Somehow, a bit clumsily, not very tidy, but i did it !
However, there has been two things i haven't been able to overcome.

Not matter what i do, my elevator gets 'jammed" in a nose up position, rendering flight impossible.

From all the vids i watched about assembly i assume the servos are fine, the pushrods are fine, and the horns are fine..I cannot explain why it gets back to this "up" position.

Also, my throttle is inverted on the transmitter. I have reseted and re done the process of channel binding but the throttle OFF position is always up..basically inverted

I would love a bit of help on this as i basically stand now with a plane that looks ready, but is flight unable.

(The picture of the elevator shows the position it stays jammed at, this is only slightly up but enough to render flight impossible, and also, if usually gets jammed much higher)

Thanks all and have a good time
Nouney
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	0226_1.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	1.99 MB
ID:	2202873   Click image for larger version

Name:	0226_2.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	727.0 KB
ID:	2202874  
Old 02-26-2017, 05:24 AM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi,
So you bought the kit where you also had to buy the servos, transmitter, receiver, battery,charger, etc.. separately? If so, what transmitter and receiver are you using ?

Or did you buy the plane with the servos, transmitter, receiver,etc... .but you had to glue on the tail surfaces,control horns, install the receiver, etc... ?

Before you assembled everything did you flex the control surfaces to break-in the hinges as they are very stiff?

With the elevator going up you may not have the elevator trim lever centered. The trim levers are small sliders located to the sides of the control sticks....there is one for each control (throttle, rudder, elevator, aileron). The trims should be centered for the control surfaces.
Center the trim for the elevator and if the elevator is still up too high then you will have to adjust the push rod by loosening the ez-connect screw on the elevator control horn,level the elevator ,and re-tighten the screw.

If the throttle is reversed then you will have to reverse it on the transmitter. Depending on the transmitter you are using it may a switch on the front of the transmitter that you move to change throttle direction.

Here is a good manual:
http://www.readymaderc.com/store/man...structions.pdf
Old 02-26-2017, 06:57 AM
CptNouney

Thanks for the reply.
I'll answer your questions and try to give a better idea of what's going on.

I bought the plane with Everything needed in the box, but nothing installed.
I assembled myself the servos, pushrods, horns, wooden bits etc..
I did flex the control surfaces.
I have many times repeated the action of leveling the elevator and re tightening the horn screws.

When it comes to trimming, it isnt a wheel, but a push button which emits different beeps.I have not been able to find out what those beeps mean as the informations on the transmitter were null..

I must assume that they are centered by default, and i haven't messed with them.
However, even if the trim wasn't right, the elevator would not go as far up as it does (Again, the picture i showed wasn't actually the best case scenario, the elevator usually being jammed much higher)

About the throttle issue, using the reverse function does not fix it.It just makes the pacing of throttle different.

I thought it could be a physical problem, as in the pushrod burshing or hitting a part of the fuselage but after couple checks, it doesn't seem to be the case.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	0226_1.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	1.73 MB
ID:	2202921  
Old 02-26-2017, 07:41 AM
flyinwalenda

OK. I never saw this transmitter but most that use tone for trim adjustment have that increase in pitch or volume as you continue to push the lever up , a longer more neutral tone to indicate center and then decreasing pitch tones when you press the lever down.
Press the lever up and as you keep pushing (or hold it) the tone should increase in pitch or volume and eventually stop meaning you have reached the limit for "up" trim. Press the lever down and eventually you will hear a long ,neutral tone....that is the center trim tone meaning the control is now centered.

Center the elevator trim and then mechanically adjust the elevator linkage to make the surface level and that will correct it. If not then you have either a loose servo mount, a faulty servo, or a faulty transmitter or receiver.

On the bottom face of the transmitter are (6) slide levers. The second one from the right side is for the throttle. Slide the lever to "rev" and the throttle movement will be reversed.....low stick will now be low throttle.

https://www.fasrshop.ru/index.php?di...tachment_id=42
Old 02-26-2017, 03:42 PM
RBACONS
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Concerning the elevator, in case you don't know, you need to have both the plane and the transmitter turned on when you center the elevator and place the servo arm back onto the servo body.

Regarding the throttle, if the reverse switch really does not work, and assuming there is room to do so, you can move the servo arm 180 deg opposite of where it is. That way, when it used to push/pull, it will now pull/push. You will need to readjust the linkage.
Old 02-28-2017, 03:07 AM
CptNouney

Well it seems fixed !

Thanks guys for taking a moment and helping me out *ThumbsUp*

I did pay attention to calibrating the angle of elevator with controller and plane ON as well as changed the position of the servo arm, and it seems to be doing the trick.
Bad weather prevents me from trying it out but it's looking good.

For the REV mode on my controller.It is different than what has been mentioned here.When i use the reverse mode on throttle what happens is : Top stick position seems to be abut 50% throttle and Low stick position is full throttle.
This is annoying however it will not prevent flight.
Old 02-28-2017, 07:52 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Check your instructions for setting up the ESC. Perhaps you need to have the throttle at full up position when you first turn on the receiver (make sure the transmitter is on first) then, after you hear the beep(s) move throttle to full low. Make sure the throttle trim is first moved to the lowest trim position before you do any of the above. You need to have the throttle 'nor/rev' switch opposite to what it was in your above post. This may restore your throttle commands to full stick movement. If not, delve deeper into your instruction manual as the solution should be in there somewhere.
Old 02-28-2017, 10:10 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by CptNouney

For the REV mode on my controller.It is different than what has been mentioned here.When i use the reverse mode on throttle what happens is : Top stick position seems to be abut 50% throttle and Low stick position is full throttle.

Hi Nouney if I read this in your last post correctly then that would be backwards than what virtually all flyers actually do for throttle positions. It is common practice to have throttle off at the low position on the transmitter and the full power/throttle postion at the high position on the transmitter. For example on the picture of your transmitter that you posted in post #3 above the stick is positioned in the full power position and not the power off position.

I do on occasion run into folks who are self teaching and for what ever reason set up throttles in this backward fashion and I would strongly suggest you stick to normal practices.

John
Old 03-01-2017, 04:16 AM
CptNouney

Hey John thank you for the very thorough explanation on stick position.Although a pure beginner i had come to grip with this myself !

And the only reason i said that was that my wish to finally see it airborne is so powerful.I will correct that in the future, i completely agree with ya, it is literally backward to do this, like Pulling on the accelerator of your car to drive forward..
Thanks for the concern John
Old 03-01-2017, 05:28 AM
flyinwalenda

Again, with the transmitter throttle stick all the way down the motor should be OFF, pushing the stick slowly up the motor will start to turn slowly and increase in speed as you push the stick up until max speed is reached when the stick is all the way up. Make sure the throttle trim level is at its lowest setting.
If it is working backwards then simply moving the switch under THR to the other position will correct this. If that doesn't switch the operation of the throttle then the radio /receiver is faulty or (although highly unlikely), you may have to rebind the system to make the change
Old 03-01-2017, 05:45 AM
CptNouney

I tried all i could, repeated steps many times.I should probably rebind though i do not know about that nor have a manual for the transmitter : /

By the way, i never had the throttle position right.By that i mean is ever since i got it the throttle was up.
despite watching videos about binding and "first starts"
Old 03-01-2017, 04:35 PM
flyinwalenda

What is wrong with the manuals in post #2 and #4 ??

Are you really reading these posts/replies ?

Last edited by flyinwalenda; 03-01-2017 at 04:56 PM.
Old 03-01-2017, 10:01 PM
CptNouney

Brian i forgot to mentioned that i could not access these links, being in china, despite having a vpn for some reasons some links are still unavailable.
Apologies
Old 03-02-2017, 02:44 AM
CptNouney

I did get to open the second link (Transmitter manual) on my phone.It's not the exact same but does seems very close.I have a "key" to bind controls, but do not understand what they mean by having the bind switch in the "up position"

could it be the lever on the top left ? it has a "switch position"/channel 5 tag to it
I never messed with it and it always was in up position during tests and fixes

Last edited by CptNouney; 03-02-2017 at 02:47 AM.
Old 03-02-2017, 03:37 AM
flyinwalenda

There are so many different types of transmitters. The transmitter you posted a pic of doesn't show a bind button/lever unless it is on the top or rear(can't see ). If it has a bind switch or button then the switch needs to be held in the bind position while you turn the transmitter on. If it has a bind button that needs to be pressed in while you turn on the transmitter. If there is no switch or button labeled BIND then the transmitter has an auto-bind process and will auto-bind when turned on ...........provided the receiver is set to bind.

Watch this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHDcptTUiLg
Old 03-02-2017, 03:43 AM
flyinwalenda

Try and open this attached pdf file and read through it even though you are using a different version transmitter.
Attached Thumbnails Skysurfer Set Up Instructions.pdf