Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Skymaster F-104 questions.

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Skymaster F-104 questions.

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2017, 12:19 AM
Springbok Flyer

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Question Skymaster F-104 questions.

Hi guys,

Started building my F-104 eventually and I have a few parts I received that I either have no idea what they are for or need confirmation of what I think they might be. Here goes the first batch. No idea what these are for....

...also no idea what these silver painted balsa scale parts are for...

...or these...

...now these I think is for me to use when lifting up the turbine to mount it higher, right? Otherwise they will be useful to mix paint with...

These two black ones I think are dorsal fins, except my model don't have any obvious mounting positions. Furthermore, I don't think the fullsize I am modelling had dorsal fins, only the single centerline fin underneath behind the wings...

Any additional comments and advice will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jan

Last edited by Springbok Flyer; 03-21-2017 at 12:21 AM.
Old 03-21-2017, 03:40 AM
dubd

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The silver pieces go around your landing gear.

I used a single fin in the center of my fuselage. I had two left over in my kit.
Old 03-21-2017, 09:05 AM
JJP
My Feedback: (1)

Some of these pieces are in your second picture and some are in the third. It is like a 3D gig saw puzzle. The small strakes are used on the later model 104 like you will see if you google the Italian air force. I can try to take more pictures in it would help but once you start to fit the big bits in you will start to see where the smaller ones fit. Regarding the wood pieces in the first picture, I still have those left over as well. I do not know why SM cannot hire someone in North America to do a proper instruction manual.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1624.JPG
Views:	954
Size:	108.5 KB
ID:	2206397   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1625.JPG
Views:	952
Size:	123.2 KB
ID:	2206398  
Old 03-21-2017, 09:58 AM
JJP

Here is a picture of the speed brake compartment. The panel sits in the back. Not a great picture.
If you can order this book it is fabulous and shows great details on most versions of the F 104

Name:	IMG_2767.JPG
Views:	1083
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	2206401   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2761.JPG
Views:	962
Size:	121.4 KB
ID:	2206402  
Old 03-21-2017, 02:01 PM
Springbok Flyer

Originally Posted by JJP
I do not know why SM cannot hire someone in North America to do a proper instruction manual.
JJP,

I cannot agree with you more - their current manual write-ups are simply inadequate and a total waste of time.

Thank you for giving me some direction with the silver pieces - I should be able to work it out from here on. A simple photo and a short explanation in the manual would have been so easy for SM.

Cheers,

Jan
Old 03-21-2017, 02:06 PM
Springbok Flyer

Originally Posted by dubd
I used a single fin in the center of my fuselage. I had two left over in my kit.
Thanks mate, I think I will end up with the same. However, as JJP pointed out, a simple explanation in the instruction manual would have been so easy for SM. It is also unclear why SM do not position some hard wood on the inside of the fuselage where these two dorsal fins can/should be mounted.

Cheers,

Jan
Old 03-21-2017, 02:45 PM
dubd

Originally Posted by Springbok Flyer
Thanks mate, I think I will end up with the same. However, as JJP pointed out, a simple explanation in the instruction manual would have been so easy for SM. It is also unclear why SM do not position some hard wood on the inside of the fuselage where these two dorsal fins can/should be mounted.

Cheers,

Jan
Yes, I agree. I did some head scratching until I figured out where the pieces go.

Last edited by dubd; 03-21-2017 at 02:51 PM.
Old 03-21-2017, 04:17 PM
flyloose

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If you haven't already seen it, have a look on this SM 104 thread from rccanucks. Trevor is a fantastic builder....

http://rccanucks.com/showthread.php?...ter-Behotec220
Old 03-21-2017, 05:53 PM
mullerr

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put mine on with these tabs, this way I just reach under and pull it forwards to come off. Makes it easy to put jet on stands without crushing fin.

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	1.21 MB
ID:	2206458  
The following users liked this post:
DenisFerrari (09-13-2020)
Old 03-21-2017, 06:54 PM
dubd

Originally Posted by mullerr
I put mine on with these tabs, this way I just reach under and pull it forwards to come off. Makes it easy to put jet on stands without crushing fin.
I did the exact same thing!
Old 03-21-2017, 11:13 PM
Springbok Flyer

Originally Posted by flyloose
If you haven't already seen it, have a look on this SM 104 thread from rccanucks. Trevor is a fantastic builder....

http://rccanucks.com/showthread.php?...ter-Behotec220
Fantastic link, thank you very much.
Old 03-21-2017, 11:15 PM
Springbok Flyer

I did the exact same thing!
Do you guys have two (one at each end) or a different one on one end? My central fin already have one at the front, so I was thinking I might use some sort of push-in fitting at the rear.

Jan
Old 03-22-2017, 01:28 AM
Springbok Flyer

Originally Posted by JJP
Regarding the wood pieces in the first picture, I still have those left over as well. I do not know why SM cannot hire someone in North America to do a proper instruction manual.
JJP,

The mystery of the wood pices in my first photo has now been solved. John from Skymaster has identified them as being the cockpit mounting kit.....please Skymaster, a little bit more information in your instruction manual will be so helpful!!

Cheers,

Jan
Old 03-22-2017, 04:50 PM
smchale
My Feedback: (67)

The silver pieces go around your landing gear.

some f-104's have the two dorsal fins, most commonly found on Italian f-104's.
Old 03-22-2017, 05:57 PM
Kelly Rohrbach

Originally Posted by JJP

Some of these pieces are in your second picture and some are in the third. It is like a 3D gig saw puzzle. The small strakes are used on the later model 104 like you will see if you google the Italian air force. I can try to take more pictures in it would help but once you start to fit the big bits in you will start to see where the smaller ones fit. Regarding the wood pieces in the first picture, I still have those left over as well. I do not know why SM cannot hire someone in North America to do a proper instruction manual.
BVM did one including upgraded parts
Old 03-22-2017, 06:36 PM
Springbok Flyer

Originally Posted by smchale
some f-104's have the two dorsal fins, most commonly found on Italian f-104's.
Hi Sean,

I am doing an Italian scheme, but this one is without those dorsal fins. As you said 'only on some Italian F-104's'

Cheers,

Jan
Old 03-22-2017, 07:26 PM
Damo260

The one in your photo Jan is a F-104G the only one that has 2 dorsal fins are the F- 104S the only reason I know is because I'm building a 1/4 scale one and all the documentation I got

Damo

Last edited by Damo260; 03-22-2017 at 07:30 PM.
Old 03-22-2017, 10:50 PM
Springbok Flyer

Thanks for the confirmation Damo.

Jan
Old 03-23-2017, 03:47 AM
mullerr

Both tabs are the same, you just push it through the fuse and pull backwards to lock it in place.
Old 03-23-2017, 12:47 PM
Springbok Flyer

Originally Posted by mullerr
Both tabs are the same, you just push it through the fuse and pull backwards to lock it in place.
That makes sense, thanks. I usually put a push-in pin (made from an 12volt banana plug male/female) on the one end as I have had fins getting bumped and then coming off, with two slide-in's. I also put a very slight angle on the slide side so that it tightens up when the other side get pushed down.

Cheers,

Jan
Old 09-11-2017, 02:40 PM
Springbok Flyer

Hi guys,

C of G; so where do you guys suggest I position that using a 25.5kg thrust engine? It would seem this spot is getting moved back as the thrust goes up.

Cheers,

Jan
Old 09-11-2017, 05:11 PM
Jack Diaz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Springbok Flyer
Hi guys,

C of G; so where do you guys suggest I position that using a 25.5kg thrust engine? It would seem this spot is getting moved back as the thrust goes up.

Cheers,

Jan

Hi Jan,
The C of G is 145mm back from LE, do not use what Skymaster says. It's 40mm too far forward.

You also have to raise the engine up 50mm, in order to decrease the up thrust to 2 deg.

Jack
Old 09-12-2017, 12:54 AM
Springbok Flyer

Originally Posted by Jack Diaz
Hi Jan,
The C of G is 145mm back from LE, do not use what Skymaster says. It's 40mm too far forward.

You also have to raise the engine up 50mm, in order to decrease the up thrust to 2 deg.

Jack
Thank you Jack, I have just realised that you've given me the information already. It is all written down in my notes which I had updated from our chat at BITW. I am about to install my special AMT Olympus HP and have made the mounting 50mm higher.

Keep well my friend, maybe we can catch up again in another 20 years somewhere in the world at another jet meet.

Cheers,

Jan
Old 11-06-2017, 03:08 AM
Springbok Flyer

Hi guys,

Are any of you having problems with the retraction of the main undercarriage on your SM F-104? Or if you had problems, how did you sort it out?

I find that mine is going up, but not all the way, which then stop the main gear doors from not closing completely. When I push it by hand, it will go all the way and it does not feel like there is anything that restrict the movement.

Thank you for your suggestions and help.

Cheers,

Jan
Old 11-06-2017, 03:56 AM
Mach5M5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Jan
I had several issues with my 104 main gear not retracting well or fully. Ultimately, I had to disassemble the gear and found minor areas where it would bind due to slight interference with the fit or geometry. So it may pay off to disconnect the retract cylinder and move the gear by hand to find any binding points. By doing this I was able to find, clearance and lubricate the tight spots and finally get the gear to retract at 40 psi.
A second area to watch is the connection to the doors. It appears that the positioning of the pickup point and adjustment of the connecting link can have an effect on the last few inches of retract travel. Again, I found that everything needs to be well aligned and smooth for this to work well.
I am starting to work on my second 104 shortly and right now it is evident that it is binding as well. As well made as the gear is there are some minor interference points that need attention.
Finally, I switched to very thin shock oil for the hydraulics. The factory oil is good but in our cooler climate the gear was very slow so a change to thinner oil helped.

Cheers
Doug

Last edited by Mach5M5; 11-06-2017 at 03:57 AM. Reason: Removed duplicate signature.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.