Notices
Electric RC Jets Discuss rc electric ducted fan or radio control prop jets here.

1st EDF JET

Old 03-22-2017, 01:19 AM
Hollywood70

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1st EDF JET

Hi Everyone,
Well after a numbers of years from the sport, I am looking forward to getting back into flying (work got in the way).

After many weeks searching for a suitable EDF jet I am now looking for help in manufacturers of jets other than skymaster or Jet Teng. I have looked at planes such as turbine PC-21, First choice viper EDF either size, F-4, T-33, F-86 Sabre.

Why EDF? More so for cost ATM, then everything will sort itself out once I gather more exposure again into the sport.

So, if you are a company rep for any manufacturer of jets that are offering EDF conversion, please offer some suggestions.

regards
Old 03-22-2017, 02:25 PM
Joseph Frost

Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

Since when RC flying is a sport? This "hobby" is probably the worse "sport like" activity" you can do, after almost 30 years in it day to day, I can tell you I feel it all over my body!
Old 03-23-2017, 01:53 AM
Hollywood70

Joseph, this wasn't the reply or the support I expected. So being competitive does not relate to it being a sport? I disagree. Lucky I wasn't a young kid looking to find my way into the Hobby / sport or activity, always choose your reply more carefully next time. As a senior member of the community with enthusiasm to get back into yes SPORT, I have time and money on my side. As for your physical fitness, that has no place in this forum or my column.

My my advice is, if you have something related to the topic then reply. If you don't, then nothing can be better than just staying quiet.

Thankyou.

Should anyone one else like to comment with the good intention to support, then you are more than welcome.

regard

Jason
Old 03-23-2017, 10:56 AM
rpellicciotti

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take a look at the Sebart Mini Avanti. It was my first jet (EDF) and it is one very nice flying airplane. I liked it so much, I bought its big brother, the Avanti XS and I am setting it up with turbine power.

One piece of advice, the mini Avanti is advertised as a 6S setup EDF jet. It will fly on 6S but it needs a paved runway and is not all that fast. If you fly off grass or you want more "jet like" performance, I suggest a 10S setup. I built mine with 10S and really liked it.
Old 03-23-2017, 02:50 PM
Desertlakesflying
My Feedback: (28)

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

The HSD line of EDF foam jets are quite nice and have decent quality. They are also lighter than the built up versions like the Avanti and come with everything already installed except batteries and receiver. You can also get into a turbine jet for less than $3000 these days.

https://www.pacificrcjet.com/collections/hsd-foam-jets

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20161110191303367_grande.jpg
Views:	667
Size:	21.5 KB
ID:	2206701  
Old 03-23-2017, 09:24 PM
Joseph Frost

Originally Posted by Hollywood70
Joseph, this wasn't the reply or the support I expected. So being competitive does not relate to it being a sport? I disagree. Lucky I wasn't a young kid looking to find my way into the Hobby / sport or activity, always choose your reply more carefully next time. As a senior member of the community with enthusiasm to get back into yes SPORT, I have time and money on my side. As for your physical fitness, that has no place in this forum or my column.

My my advice is, if you have something related to the topic then reply. If you don't, then nothing can be better than just staying quiet.

Thankyou.

Should anyone one else like to comment with the good intention to support, then you are more than welcome.

regard

Jason
What a mouthful, you obviously did not get me! So hopefully we can agree on our disagreement. Cheers.
Old 03-24-2017, 03:53 AM
Hollywood70

Hi rpellicciotti,

thankyou for for the advice and links. Greatly appreciated ��
Old 03-24-2017, 03:55 AM
Hollywood70

Originally Posted by Desertlakesflying
The HSD line of EDF foam jets are quite nice and have decent quality. They are also lighter than the built up versions like the Avanti and come with everything already installed except batteries and receiver. You can also get into a turbine jet for less than $3000 these days.

https://www.pacificrcjet.com/collections/hsd-foam-jets

Thank you so much for the link. All the advice is helping.
Old 03-24-2017, 03:57 AM
Hollywood70

Originally Posted by Joseph Frost
What a mouthful, you obviously did not get me! So hopefully we can agree on our disagreement. Cheers.

All good Joseph, any advice you have on EDF Jets would still help.
Old 03-24-2017, 03:58 AM
Hollywood70

One I have found again, http://www.bvmjets.com/
Old 03-24-2017, 09:22 AM
rpellicciotti

Originally Posted by Hollywood70
Hi rpellicciotti,

thankyou for for the advice and links. Greatly appreciated 
The Sebart line of planes including the EDFs are at JR Americas. Http://www.jramericas.com

If you are interested in purchasing a jet turnkey or ready to fly we can help. We also offer builder support and training on jets.

http://www.avantijet.com

Last edited by rpellicciotti; 03-24-2017 at 09:25 AM.
Old 03-24-2017, 10:28 AM
cessnaflyer54
My Feedback: (68)

I have also liked my Habu 32. I've had it for three years now and love it. The newer Habu 32x is also a great flyer.
You can get them from Horizon Hobby.
Old 03-24-2017, 05:23 PM
hobbinr
My Feedback: (9)

You should check out Motionrc.com - the F86 or the A6 jets are smooth and anyone can fly them. Company run by a couple of veterans. Great service.
Old 03-26-2017, 10:14 AM
scootergenie

A good option for a first sport jet would be the Avanti S from Freewing available for pre-order at motion rc for 299.00. Great price for a sport jet with a wide flight envelope. It has an 80mm fan on 6s with light wing loading, and all trailing link metal landing gear if you choose to fly off of grass. A great value in my opinion.
Old 03-27-2017, 01:01 AM
Joseph Frost

All good, no worries. There are so many now avail it can be hard to choose, sky is the limit. No idea if you are happy with foamy, but my recent 3 builds by Freewing, "Yak-130/F-15/F-14 are all great models if you are prepared to upgrade few things. I found one of the easiest and most stable model to fly is "Hawk", 90mm EDF by Fly-Fly. This one has been around 7 years and handles strong wind with ease just like flying it yesty at the beach in hallowing wind.
https://youtu.be/WzdyFHSgDoA
https://youtu.be/NNZ-2iw29DQ

Name:	P1080550.JPG
Views:	70
Size:	197.9 KB
ID:	2207243  
Old 04-04-2017, 06:17 PM
beachsideflyer

I also have a stock Habu 32, it has maidened with the former owner but I've been out of the seen for quite a while. Do you have any first flight tips?
Old 04-04-2017, 10:04 PM
Joseph Frost

Originally Posted by beachsideflyer
I also have a stock Habu 32, it has maidened with the former owner but I've been out of the seen for quite a while. Do you have any first flight tips?
I bought mine as S/H never flown, because it was so heavy at 3.5kg with the 6S/5000 in it. You could have walk faster as it rolled along the grass strip on full stick with the original builder trying to fly it. I have lighten it up removing lot of unnecessary gear out flying it only on 6-7S/4000. With the good head wing takes off nicely off the grass but I prefer to fly it off the beach sand when conditions allow using 15 deg flaps. My wing modifications improved stability and take off at slower speed dramatically.

Name:	P1070531.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	189.7 KB
ID:	2208496  
Old 04-07-2017, 11:32 AM
tejasnumu

Hi "Hollywood:" There is a great site EDF Hobies . I think you and I are in the same dingy. I have a Berkeley F11-f1 Tigercat (circa 1958) which I have 3 goals. (1) copy all parts and submit to <hippocketaeronautics.com>. I need to "pay it forward" for all the plans I've spent countless hours reviewing and copying. Oh so many planes to build and so little time. (2) Kit wood is dry and brittle. I'll use my own parts drawings and build a "stock" .049 free-flight exactly as designers s had in mind but I was incapable of doing at age 11 with no help. This will be a little piece of "Muncie" for me to admire hanging from the ceiling. No frills but detachable lg and very light dope to shrink Silk-Span and airbrushed era two tone. Polished Fan and some experience put into duct and doing it right this time. (3) I want to use an EDF and light electric retracts. Might have to increase size 2 or 3% for wing loading of lithium batteries, rx gear, retracts and sheet covered wings. I would just like to see a 21 Century Berkeley do about 80mph or more like I dreamed when I was a little boy. The "big kids" built such neat planes years ago; now I are one
Old 04-08-2017, 06:32 PM
beachsideflyer

Are the wing tips an add-on to increase stability? What effect did they have? What did you remove from the Habu to lighten it beside installing a lighter battery? I never thought to fly off the beach, but I'd have a great runway two blocks from my house at low tide!
Old 07-29-2018, 12:53 AM
Joseph Frost

Much better fliers with the wing tips.
Long time! I have done lot more flying action with this model since the last post here, the wing tips were added to reduce the model's weight, using still the same heavy batteries, plus it looks lot more impressive and stability comes as a extra bonus.
Old 09-11-2018, 01:45 PM
sidgates
My Feedback: (2)

Hollywood- I have been flying R/C since 1952 so a lot of experience with lots of models. I got my first turbine in 2006 and still flying the Boomerang Intro. About a year ago I got my first EDF, the Venom. I like the size, the sound and the flying performance, just wish I could get more than 4 minutes per flight. See video link below, video doesn't do the models justice.
Venom
Boomerang