Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Tamiya Leo 1 A4 tracks

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2017, 07:05 AM
dgsselkirk

Received 42 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Tamiya Leo 1 A4 tracks

Hi Guys,

I am building a Canadian Leo 1 A5 actually but started with a Tamiya Leo 1 A4. Bought the stupidly priced A5 resin turret kit. It is beautifully done and a ton of parts but man, expensive! So thought what the hell, might as well upgrade the tracks to the newer version. So placed an order with Mitosal for their upgrade version:
http://www.mitosal.com/Leopard1A4.htm

Low and behold I get an e-mail that they have quality issues and will not be shipping. Damn! So my question is they look so close to Leo 6 upgrade metal tracks,

http://tankarmy.com/heng-long-tank/p...3joiqb0bk20gs0

Anyone know if they will work on the Tamiya A4 ???
Old 03-24-2017, 07:50 AM
Pcomm1.v2

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts

Cannot answer your question about Leo 2 tracks. Though, maybe consider the Kenny Kong tracks from eBay's "manheader". The high quality tracks have been around for years and work great, but heavy. I use a Henntec Idler for the Leo 1 from ETO Armor and a Daryl Turner metal gearbox mount brace plus ETO Armor black long can motors to successfully handle the metal track weight:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-16-METAL-T...oAAOSwVL1WEOL2

John
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Leo-1-Right-Front-v2.jpg
Views:	1297
Size:	132.6 KB
ID:	2206775   Click image for larger version

Name:	Leo-1-Side_Left-Rear.jpg
Views:	1156
Size:	132.3 KB
ID:	2206776   Click image for larger version

Name:	Leo-1_Deck-Open.jpg
Views:	910
Size:	166.0 KB
ID:	2206777  

Last edited by Pcomm1.v2; 03-24-2017 at 07:56 AM.
Old 03-24-2017, 08:35 AM
dgsselkirk

Thanks John,

Ordered the tracks and will probably try the existing set up first, blow that up and then replace gearboxes, motors etc... with upgrades... :-)
Old 03-24-2017, 12:38 PM
Pcomm1.v2

Originally Posted by dgsselkirk
Thanks John,

Ordered the tracks and will probably try the existing set up first, blow that up and then replace gearboxes, motors etc... with upgrades... :-)
Great!
Old 03-25-2017, 06:56 AM
Crius

Received 313 Likes on 259 Posts

Dean, I've heard a lot of guys have had trouble with the tracks you link above, because the rubber pads are not attached when you get them and I guess finding a suitable adhesive has been problematic. On my Abrams I got the set from Toucanhobby on ebay, and although they were expensive ($135 US) the rubber pads are pre-installed and stay in place very well so far (knock on wood). The tracks were actually too long for the Abrams and I had to remove a link from each side, giving me even more spares. I know they're a bit short for the Leo but they come with extra links and if you need them I have these spare links here you can have for the price of postage. I think with what comes with the tracks and what I have here you could easily make them long enough. Does anyone know just exactly how many more links the Leo tracks have as compared to the Abrams/Challenger?

I did a box opening video for the tracks so let me know if you need a link for that.

EDIT: Darn, I just saw that you ordered tracks, but that may be a good thing, since if anyone can figure out the pad attachment problems it will be you. Let me know if I can help.
Old 03-27-2017, 02:28 PM
Pcomm1.v2

Originally Posted by Crius
Dean, I've heard a lot of guys have had trouble with the tracks you link above, because the rubber pads are not attached when you get them and I guess finding a suitable adhesive has been problematic. On my Abrams I got the set from Toucanhobby on ebay, and although they were expensive ($135 US) the rubber pads are pre-installed and stay in place very well so far (knock on wood). The tracks were actually too long for the Abrams and I had to remove a link from each side, giving me even more spares. I know they're a bit short for the Leo but they come with extra links and if you need them I have these spare links here you can have for the price of postage. I think with what comes with the tracks and what I have here you could easily make them long enough. Does anyone know just exactly how many more links the Leo tracks have as compared to the Abrams/Challenger?

I did a box opening video for the tracks so let me know if you need a link for that.

EDIT: Darn, I just saw that you ordered tracks, but that may be a good thing, since if anyone can figure out the pad attachment problems it will be you. Let me know if I can help.

Rebuttal:
None of Gary's (Cirus) statements about the Kenny Kong Tracks are accurate.
I have been running the Kenny Kong tracks I recommend to "dgsselkirk"
on two different high end Tamiya full option conversion Leopard 1 4As; the NATO variant for over 6 years now with no issues and the other model is 2017 new.

Correcting Gary's (Cirus) inaccuracies:
1. The Kenny Kong metal tracks come preassembled per the picture above and are a dedicated design for the Tamiya Leo 1 and Gepard Flakpanzer Kits.
2. The pads have not dropped off of the oldest pair I run, which is going on 6 years now.
3. A touch of CA Glue fixes that if a pad should ever come loose.
5. These tracks have been around for well over a decade, actually longer than Impact has been in business.
6. "dgsselkirk" made a good metal track choice, as long as one understands the tracks are "heavy" and that will result in predictable wear and tear, so be prepared to replace components if you run hard; and did not initially build the model with the parts that strengthen the hull and limit hull flex.
7. For the NATO Leo 1: I use Henntec adjustable rear idlers plus a metal gearbox mount brace (Tamiya Panther G) and black long can motors all from ETO to help protect and balance things out and keep the hull and drive sprockets in alignment and tracks on.
8. Both models run superbly with Kenny Kong Tracks mounted.

John

Name:	Leo-1_Deck-Open.jpg
Views:	728
Size:	166.0 KB
ID:	2207334   Click image for larger version

Name:	Leo-1-Right-Front-v2.jpg
Views:	789
Size:	132.6 KB
ID:	2207335   Click image for larger version

Name:	Leo-1-Side_Left-Rear.jpg
Views:	776
Size:	132.3 KB
ID:	2207336   Click image for larger version

Name:	Leo-1-NATO-v1.jpg
Views:	949
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	2207337  

Last edited by Pcomm1.v2; 03-27-2017 at 02:32 PM.
Old 03-27-2017, 03:22 PM
TheBennyB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Believe Gary was referring to the tank army tracks, not the kenny kong.
Old 03-27-2017, 05:20 PM
Pcomm1.v2

Originally Posted by TheBennyB
Believe Gary was referring to the tank army tracks, not the kenny kong.
Doubtful why?

Originally Posted by Crius

ddggsselkirk ordered Kenny Kong tracks per a recommend: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-16-METAL-T...oAAOSwVL1WEOL2
Old 03-28-2017, 03:47 AM
TheBennyB

Because the tankarmy tracks come NOT assembled and thats the link Dean listed.
Old 03-30-2017, 10:38 AM
karel47

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

kenny kong and impact 1a4 tracks

Name:	wp13e7574f_05_06.jpg
Views:	776
Size:	239.9 KB
ID:	2207734   Click image for larger version

Name:	leopard_i+gepard_004.jpg
Views:	885
Size:	14.4 KB
ID:	2207735   Click image for larger version

Name:	leopard-i+gepard-einzelteil.jpg
Views:	633
Size:	10.1 KB
ID:	2207736  

Last edited by karel47; 03-30-2017 at 10:40 AM.
Old 03-30-2017, 07:15 PM
Pcomm1.v2

Originally Posted by TheBennyB
Because the tankarmy tracks come NOT assembled and thats the link Dean listed.
The eBay link is for manheader, Kenny Kong tracks, and the reference by Gary is about "already ordered" and that should mean the eBay link and no other link, but mistakes and stuff happen.

Old 03-31-2017, 04:50 AM
TheBennyB

Originally Posted by Pcomm1.v2
The eBay link is for manheader, Kenny Kong tracks, and the reference by Gary is about "already ordered" and that should mean the eBay link and no other link, but mistakes and stuff happen.

For sure.
Old 03-31-2017, 05:37 AM
Cruiser133

I bought a set from down under for my Son's Abrams and I am not looking forward to gluing the pads on, but I bought some Shoe Goo from the hobby store so I will let you guys know how that works out...
Old 03-31-2017, 05:54 AM
dgsselkirk

Yes, there was some mis-communication there boys... I see the unpleasantness have been removed.

We use goop up here in the great white north. The trick to the pads is you need something that is just a bit flexible because regular glues like CA or other solid glues have great vertical strength but lack any real shear strength so when they are exposed to those forces they literally break off. I use goop for all my wiring and even to hold boards in place as it is inert. Awesome stuff because if you do really need to move something it is almost like a tough silicone that can be cut away with an exacto.
Old 04-10-2017, 03:45 PM
WhiteWolf McBride
My Feedback: (3)

If you haven't shelled out for the tracks just yet...

You can 'stretch' a set of the Tamiya Pershing Tracks to fit! I've done it for both of my Leo 1A4 chassis.

If you gimme a week or two, I'm sure I can dig up the spare links I've got left over so you can stretch your own. You just have to gently pop the end-connector off one linkage, and the insert the 'stretch' section I can send you. I would have to look up how many links it was... but I've got stock Pershings and my Leopards to count track-links.

Let me know.

WhiteWolf McBride (with a pair of 1A4's that home to become C1's...) and a 2A6...
Old 04-10-2017, 05:16 PM
dgsselkirk

Thanks for the input. I had already considered those but I prefer these tracks as they are closer to the real thing. Already purchased and REALLY happy with the look and quality...

TXS
Dean