Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Interesting version of a Tiger I

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Interesting version of a Tiger I

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2017, 03:24 PM
Dusty Steppes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interesting version of a Tiger I

http://blog.tiger-tank.com/incombat/...-hidden-comet/
Old 03-25-2017, 04:04 PM
Crius

Received 313 Likes on 259 Posts

Are you talking about the tank in the first photo? It's pretty cool, and I scrolled down to "The First Tiger I" and that was really, really cool. That armor plate on the front looks easy to scratch build. Well, not that any scratch build is necessarily easy, but y'all know what I mean. I guess now I'll have to look for more photos of chassis number V1. And the whole page is pretty cool. The Tiger Page, eh? Pretty cool. I might have to bookmark this one. On the other hand, the ads on the edge might raise some eyebrows. I mean, I knew Russian women are hot, but wow.

All in all, great find, Dusty. Give that man a cookie or something.
Old 03-25-2017, 04:37 PM
Dusty Steppes

Yeah I was talking about the tiger in the first and second photos. It is mix of early and late parts.

What ads are you seeing? None are showing for me. Hot Russian women, now you've piqued my interest comrade!
Old 03-25-2017, 05:39 PM
Crius

Hmm, now it's showing ads for sling shots and telephones, but a while ago it was hot Russian women and "Chineselady".

Did you check the very first Tiger One? That swing down armor on the front looks interesting. I can see why it might not have been practical in the field, but it could be a cool mod to a model of Tiger chassis V1.

The article about Porsche and Henschel turrets on King Tigers was really cool, too. Until now I didn't know that Krupp actually built both versions. On that page they say it's more accurate to call them "Pre-production" and "Production". I don't think it's a life changing decision, eh?

And the girls are back. Here's the one that just came up

Old 03-25-2017, 09:24 PM
sevoblast

Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts

Interesting page. The early turret on a late hull is not common but not uncommon towards the end of the war. I don't remember who did the actual KT turret fabrication but it sticks in my mind it wasn't krupp. The turrets arrived at the Henschel Fabrik semi assembled.

Russian women are hot but they drink like fish.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sophia drunk again.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	212.2 KB
ID:	2207055  
Old 03-25-2017, 10:35 PM
Crius

I heard there are some hairy women in Russia, but that chick under the table is ridiculous.

If you scroll almost to the bottom of the page to "related articles" and click on the Porsche/Henschel link they say

Both turrets used on the Tiger II were designed and built by the Krupp company. So why are they so often called the ‘Porsche’ and ‘Henschel’ turrets?

I don't know if that's accurate, though.​
Old 03-25-2017, 11:39 PM
sevoblast

I'll have to research a little on the turrets to jog my aging memory but I do remember that, like with the prototype Tiger 1's, the good Hr. Porsche assumed he would get the contract for the Tiger 2. It sticks in my mind that it was Porsche who designed the turret that went on the first 50 KT's and Henschel designed the the 'production' turret which was actually designed quickly when problems cropped up with the Porsche design. There is a lot of misinformation floating around about the Tiger series but there are enough erudite books out there to get the true picture out. Here's an excellent source for Tiger series info in addition to books.

http://www.tiif.de

That's Sophia under the table. She does shave under her arms but it's hard to notice. Photo is the day she got her championship 5 years ago and promptly retired. She hated the shows and she is a 'reader', if the judge had a black heart she would ignore him and not run through her paces. A kind judge and Sofik was their best friend instantly and performed flawlessly. We stopped doing the show gig with our herd after she won her final show. The endemic corruption had gotten in to dog shows and I don't buy or pay judges. Period. Sophia is the finest blue merle collie from Novosibersk all the way west to Gnome, Alaska. Only problem is she's 5 cm too tall at the shoulder to 'qualify' under EU standards but we never saw a measuring device at any shows.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	_DSC0119_craa1aa.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	194.6 KB
ID:	2207060  
Old 03-26-2017, 02:42 AM
ausf

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Remember these things were more akin to locomotives than assembly line Shermans, so there's always a steps along the way when things were introduced, some changes were to improve performance, some due to limitations in raw materials.

Plus they were prized equipment, recovered and refurbished whenever possible in anyway possible, just look at the variety of hulls used in the few Storms built.

All that said, the castle-like cupola was hated by the tankers since it was a natural shot trap and tended to break off when hit, frequently with the commander's head.

Early turrets on late hulls or visa versa probably isn't that rare considering. Initial construction time can be pinpointed by certain things: gun sights, escape hatches, s mines, close proximity weapons, loader's vision port, turret roof thickness, air cleaners, tool stowage, track hangers, road wheel type and config, headlights, track guards, etc. But once in the field, that's all out the window. A early survivor until Normandy may have picked up a host of motor pool add ons to keep it moving. Two broken tanks equal one working.
Old 03-26-2017, 08:04 AM
Crius

Bob, Sophia is a true beauty and you're a lucky man to have her in your life.

I think one could study Tiger tanks of all varieties for the rest of one's life and still have volumes to learn. The Shermans were also a tank of ten zillion variants, but they didn't get recovered and re-used like the Tigers. Another thing I learned at that page that I have to confirm is that yes, Dr. Porsche designed and built the first 50 turrets, which all ended up on "Henschel hulls" because Porsche didn't get the contract so never produced the hulls he designed to go under his turret. I'm trying to find out if Porsche even did a prototype of his hull, but I don't think they did. Heck, I can't even find drawings of a Porsche hull.

And the search goes on. The thirst for knowledge must be slaked.

Last edited by Crius; 03-27-2017 at 03:07 AM.
Old 03-26-2017, 09:46 AM
jarndice

Received 64 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Crius
Bob, Sophie is a true beauty and you're a lucky man to have her in your life.

I think one could study Tiger tanks of all varieties for the rest of one's life and still have volumes to learn. The Shermans were also a tank of ten zillion variants, but they didn't get recovered and re-used like the Tigers. Another thing I learned at that page that I have to confirm is that yes, Dr. Porsche designed and built the first 50 turrets, which all ended up on "Henschel hulls" because Porsche didn't get the contract so never produced the hulls he designed to go under his turret. I'm trying to find out if Porsche even did a prototype of his hull, but I don't think they did. Heck, I can't even find drawings of a Porsche hull.

And the search goes on. The thirst for knowledge must be slaked.
Hi, You had me blowing dust off Encyclopedia's looking for Dr Porsche's Tiger 1 prototype Hull,
I found in "Encyclopedia of German Tanks of World War Two" on page 139- - - TIGER (P) PZ Kpfw VI, VK 4501 (P) Porsche Typ101 Chassis numbers 150001--150010,
The order for this hull was issued on 26 May 1941 and the Prototype was completed in April 1942,
Without further testing production was put in hand, expected delivery being July 1942, after problems with the engine and suspension production stopped after only five had been built,
In October the Factory (Nibelungenwerke) was ordered to stop production of the Tiger (P) because Porsche could not solve the technical problems,
By the way (P) stands for PORSCHE. (H) stands for HENCHEL,
Henchel of course got the contract and went on to build the remaining Tiger 1s.

"Haynes Owner's Workshop Manual TIGER TANK" Pages 18 and 19 shows a photograph of the VK45.01 (P) fitted with a KRUPP Turret and another picture of a VK 45.01 (P) fitted with a dummy Turret,
Also on page 18 is a Drawing of VK 45.01 (H) side and front view which allows you to see the differences between the (P) and the (H) VK 45.01 Hulls. I hope that helps.
Shaun.
Old 03-26-2017, 09:51 AM
Dusty Steppes

Here you go Gary...

http://www.tanks-encyclopedia.com/ww...onigstiger.php
Old 03-26-2017, 07:45 PM
sevoblast

Dr. Porsche, who was 'connected' to high echelons of the government, assumed he would get the Tiger 1 contract also and was so sure of winning that he started producing Tiger 1's before the decision. 3 of his versions served as battle tanks, at least one of which served on the East Front as part of Command, I don't remember which regiment but the number was 003. The remaining 100 or so hulls morphed in to the Elefant series and three became Berg Elefants. .

On the King, there were problems with the turret involving not only the supposed shot trap of the main gun mantlet but rolling the complicated curves of the turret left side let to cracks appearing in the cupola bulge during the process.

There is tons of information out there about the Tiger series and the aura of such a series with a relatively small production run is amazing.

I'll write more about Sophia and her gang in the Tankers Lounge, don't want to derail the thread.