Old 06-18-2009, 01:43 PM
Scooterpilot
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SYSSA 30CC GAS MADE IN USA

Hi,

JUSTAFYI

There is a new kid on the block...MADE IN USA...Syssa engines makes a 30cc

There was a new 30cc engine shown at Joe Nall this week, made in Southington, Connecticut, USA. The company is called Syssa Aircraft and the engine is a rear induction, 39 oz incl muffler, standoffs and ignition. The only non-US item I saw was the RX Excel ignition. Todd Syssa explained that the first production batch are in process of manufacture, and hopefully will be available around June. I've signed up for one.

All of the components are his own design and manufacture, including his own cylinder head, crank, crankcase, etc.

The reported numbers were 8600 rpm on an 18x6 Xoar, which he said was the best prop he's tried for aerobats. One of his engines on display was installed in an Aeroworks 72" Yak, which he told me came in at 11.2 lbs, and hovers on 3/8 throttle. He was going to fly it later at the Nall (I was there Thursday) and I'd be very interested in hearing back if anyone saw it fly.

Don't know if you saw the 2nd engine he had with him, which he showed in his booth. The black anodized crankcase will be the production version, due in the next month or 2 he said. The one in his AeroWorks 72" Yak had a glass bead blast finish. He claims a weight of 39 oz including muffler and ignition, which puts it in the same weight range as an OS160 w/muffler. Turning an 18x6 Xoar at 8600 rpm is in the same ballpark as the OS, as well. It's about the same power as my 30 cc Wolf Predator 1.8 (30 cc) but the weight is much lower

Reference:This above information taken from FG's.

Moderator added name of engine to title

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv63623.jpg
Views:	1193
Size:	175.1 KB
ID:	1220536   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw68681.jpg
Views:	1151
Size:	176.9 KB
ID:	1220537  
Old 06-18-2009, 02:07 PM
wjvail
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: SYSSA 30CC GAS MADE IN USA

Deleted.
Old 06-18-2009, 02:24 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Most likely foreign sourced cylinder with CNC crankcase from USA?
Old 06-18-2009, 05:09 PM
JNorton
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think it is mentioned as the SAP 180HP for $429.00.

I believe the 180 is 1.8 cu inch which would equal 30 cc.

John
Old 06-18-2009, 05:54 PM
RC Extreme power
My Feedback: (24)

Ralph Cunningham looked a the engine at Joe Nall and said it looked very nice, From what he said they are machined in the US and assembled also, But I am sure the will have some foreign parts in it, But the machening and quality control will be in the US and that is a big plus.

I think he said they were not going to be on there site untill all testing was complete.

Milton
Old 06-18-2009, 06:06 PM
Texastbird

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got all excited when I saw the 180HP part.  Then I figured out they must have been talking about displacement.  Oh well.  It seems like an entry into an already crowded market segment with all the little gassers from China and elsewhere.  And then there were the big 4 strokes like my Saito 180.   I wish them well in their endeavor.  But a little over $400 will buy you a decent 50cc in today's market place.
Old 06-18-2009, 10:38 PM
Scooterpilot

Pic of the engine added to the first post in this thread.

Old 06-19-2009, 04:21 PM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

$429 for a 30cc engine?

[sm=lol.gif]

Good luck with that...............

Old 06-19-2009, 05:37 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

ORIGINAL: Rcpilot

$429 for a 30cc engine?

[sm=lol.gif]

Good luck with that...............

If this turns out to be a quality engine, equipped as shown with rear exhaust muffler, rear mounted carb and standoffs. If it runs well with power equal to or better than an OS 160 glo engine .... I would buy one in a heartbeat!

We're so spoiled with all the cheap (and sometimes junky) 50 cc engines on the market these days, we lose sight that there are other applications for quality engines of smaller displacement .... even if they cost more. There are many scale applications out there for warbirds and other planes with smaller cowls that just don't lend themselves to many of the current crop of 26 or similar sized engines. You usually have to cut the heck out of the cowl to fit either a giant side mounted muffler or to allow the carb to stick out the side .... or in most cases ... both. For many of us, 4 strokes have been a more practical solution in these smaller airplanes. Maybe this new 30 will be our savior as we'd really rather run gas if only the right engine was available. Cost be damned .....

$429 is still cheaper than a Saito 180!

Old 06-19-2009, 05:40 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That may be just a retail price figure. Look how many things are discounted from retail prices. One thing for sure...we the US citizens have got to start producing more products here so we will have jobs. Yes that also means buy more products made in the USA. Capt,n
Old 06-19-2009, 05:50 PM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

From the seemingly only available picture it looks like a really quality engine. Pity there seems to be no full pictures of it available at this time as it would be nice to see what it looks like from all sides.

Karol
Old 06-19-2009, 05:58 PM
karolh

With a Zen 20cc costing 300 bucks it's right in the dollar per cc ball park. Plus Ralph thinks it's a winner so for my money it does not get much better than that. Just figured if I waited long enough something special would come along, and this just might be it.

Karol
Old 06-19-2009, 06:09 PM
Scooterpilot

Iagree with Truckracer

Especially considering a Saito FG 20(gasser) is $ 520.00 andthe Saito FG 36 (gasser) is close to $700.00 and people are buying these engines. I consider the Saitomotors way overpriced but people are buying them.

Now comes a 30CC motor made in the USA. If it turns out to be a good product and fillS the gap where other motors have failed, I'll buy one ASAP.

Regards,
Chuck Mosa
Old 06-19-2009, 08:08 PM
SunShyne
My Feedback: (68)

I am glad to hear these guys are producing this engine. If it can match the numbers of the OS 160 with an
18x6 prop then I am sold

look forward to hearing more about this engine
Old 06-19-2009, 08:11 PM
DaddySam
My Feedback: (9)

The website says that the $429 is the street price, which is a bit disappointing. However this is exactly what I was looking for to power my old 25% Aeroworks Edge 540, which went from a Saito 1.50 to a RCGF 26cc gas engine. The performance is "adequate" but not what I was used to with the Saito, and this engine, if the figures are even close to real life, would be awesome on my Edge. I hope that this engine enjoys success amongst those of us who have changed out our 1.50-.180 four strokes but still want that kind of performance. Perhaps success would bring some competition to this niche, and even a lowering of prices.....
I'll be watching this closely in the future. My Edge needs some rebuilding so I won't need to go right out and buy a new motor now.
Sam
Edit: Tell me that's a CM-6 plug and not a full sized sparkplug!

Old 06-19-2009, 09:08 PM
Syssa Aircraft

Thanks for your interest in the SAP-180HP! (sorry its not 180 horsepower!)  It is a 30 cc engine designed specifically for 1.00 to 1.80 size planes...and run on 87 octane gasoline...

The goals of the design were clear.  Develop a lightweight engine that would compete with glow that runs on gasoline, is powerful, very easy to run and install and is rock solid reliable.  I created this engines after trying (in frustration) nearly all the 26cc gassers (wont name them all) on a funtana that I desperately wanted to run on gasoline, but was not happy with the performance.  I still have the firewall that had to be replaced from all the different holes in it from all the engine installations!

The SAP-180HP took about 2 years to develop and is not conjured up from any sourced engine parts on the market.  It is designed and built from scratch.  Almost all the engine components are built (actually machined here from materials made from mills here in the US) here in the USA.   The reason is that I could not find what I wanted anywhere else.  All the parts are purpose built for this engine.   I was simply not happy with the weedwacker and chainsaw parts that were available.   They did not fit what I wanted....and I finally, after 2 years, have what I want.  

I had to chuckle a bit at Joe Nall (really the first public viewing of the engine) when modelers asked which cylinder, who's piston, did you use a crankshaft from "so and so's engine", where did you get that sweet exhaust system...and the list goes on and on.   Some seemed to not believe, that, yes...we do machine our own reed cages, pistons, cranshafts (one piece forging of course), connecting rods, cylinders...and everything else.  C'mon...we live in the USA...we are the definition of productivity and creating techology!  Does it cost more to do it this way, of course it does...but there is a vision here....and it has been met....and people are excited...of course, I'm excited as well. 

We are not out to compete with the Chinese engines.   Who can compete with China with the currency and wages (unless your market is China and your business is located there of course)...its not possible to compete on price with China.   Anyone who tells you so is full of it. 

Some people will think that our engine cost too much...and that is fine...I completely understand.  I look for deals when I can get them...naturally one would!  There are many Chinese engines out there...and many do run well.  There are, however, some people that do want something more.  My design, SAP's quality, the testing, the service...and the fact that we are aiming for zero defects in our process to build all our engines (developing a very competitive 60cc, lightweight, twin boxer powerhouse) are a few things that people will think about.  The testing that went into this is engine is incredible...and usually not apparent to most people not involved in development of products, especially precision products. Lack of testing, quality and design expertise only show up when there are problems.

Why would someone buy our engine over a $200 chinese engine? 

The long life, reliability, power, the fit of the engine, the fact that you can call and one of us will answer the phone and answer any possible question you might have...The fact that we are enthusiasts and are looking to not only make money (anyone would be lying if they say they are in business to work for free! right!), but make other enthusiasts happy by giving them exactly what they want...

For instance, when you order your engine...we will machine the standoffs for a small fee to fit your application.    When you get your engine, everything is assembled, ready to go, right out of the box.  You get everything down to the throttle ball link with the 2-56 threaded rod.  

I do own a CNC machine shop/fabrication and have an extensive engineering, manufacturing, materials, processing, engine development, specialized test fixtures, testing and product development background.  Trust me...That does help.

As eager as we are to get the engine to market...we are making absolutely sure to get everything correct the first time...and every time after that.
When I have my Aeroworks 1.20 Yak hanging over the runway...nothing can fail. Not a servo, not a reed, not a hinge.  I know not everyone flies like this...but having an engine that is rock solid reliable gives me great confidence.  450+ flights with no engine maintainence, without an engine failure says at least something!  A receiver battery outage put an end to the poor funtana 100...this particular test  engine is still going strong and lives in the test Yak....even after smacking the ground straight in at about 40 mph.  Its the yak that was at Joe Nall.  And yes...anyone that loves RC...well you simply have to go to Joe Nall...It was simply outstanding....

By the way...the price on the website is correct...that is the price.  No funnies.  No suggested prices, crazy inflations and discounts, no changes in other countries.   Its the same everywhere and is in US dollars.  Simplicity is usually best here.  We want to spend time in R & D, and customer service...not trying to figure out new pricing schemes.

Take care all...and the engine will be ready soon!  Please email me directly with any questions about the engine...I dont always get on the forums...or give a call! 860 538 2937 - Todd

A video has been taken and should be posted soon.  Several videos will be out on how a typical install is done on different types of planes as well as how it performs on them.  Video, short of actually being there to see first hand, is the only way to show real performance.

Remember...just about anyone can make an engine that will run.  Making one that performs to a high level, is very lightweight, very compact, fits a wide variety of aircraft, has a linear throttle curve, spools up very fast, runs smooth, looks great and lasts a long time is an entire different story. Oh...and make it all for a reasonable price...

Wow...that was long.
Old 06-20-2009, 12:08 AM
GoeKeli
My Feedback: (18)

Inspiring would be an understatement!
Old 06-20-2009, 12:36 AM
DaddySam

Any chance of angling the plug instead of having it point straight down?
Sam

Old 06-20-2009, 07:38 AM
rcdude7
My Feedback: (264)

ORIGINAL: Texastbird

I got all excited when I saw the 180HP part. Then I figured out they must have been talking about displacement. Oh well. It seems like an entry into an already crowded market segment with all the little gassers from China and elsewhere.And then there were the big 4 strokes like mySaito 180. I wish them well in their endeavor. But a little over $400 will buy you a decent 50cc in today's market place.

When you consider what it costs to mfgr a engine, there is hardly any difference between 30 and 50cc.

A engine made entirely in the US iscool, I may have to buy one.
Old 06-20-2009, 08:36 AM
karolh

I know that I will definately WANT one.

Karol
Old 06-20-2009, 11:12 AM
hairy46
My Feedback: (1)

Just the fact it is made in America I would buy it and give it a chance! What could be better then to scatch build a plane and power it with a made in the USA engine! Sign me up! Love to see more stuff made here! I do not buy stuff made in allot of country's but with RC you do not have allot of choice! Now on the thirty I do! Does it give an address or did I miss it? Bob

Want to keep from crashing? Take off and land higher!
Old 06-20-2009, 11:17 AM
hairy46
My Feedback: (1)

I found the phone no. Todd looking forward to talking to you!  Bob

Remember it is easier to ask for forgiveness then for permission!

Old 06-20-2009, 11:19 AM
JEFFRO503

Todd...i have to say i am impressed! Along with quite a few others that stumble along this thread. Your motor ( 30cc) looks really , realy good. I'm in the same boat as you and many others , where i would be willing to pay a little extra to get american made , high quality engines with great support ( ALA : BME , DA , Fox , Brisson....ect) Not bashing the china made motors at all though. Especially ones that we're designed here by guys like Milton at RC extreme power......have heard nothing but great things about those motor's as well. And i know there are some "pretty good" quality China based motors that some people try to push for a sale , but in all honestney , i think you'll get 2-3 times ( maybe more) actuall running hours out of an amercan , well thought out , high grade materials type motor , like the ones i listed above. Sure they cost more , but i look at them as an investmet. This little 60cc boxer twin you spoke of.....has got me curious. Any ideas on the table of a 100cc-120cc , or posibly 150cc - 180cc? Goin' to check out the site now. great looking motor man!
Old 06-20-2009, 12:32 PM
Jake Ruddy
My Feedback: (40)

Sounds like a winner and worth the money too me!
Old 06-20-2009, 01:08 PM
Kostas1

OMG

American manufacturing at it's best!

i like the design!

Konstantinos
Greece

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.