Community
Search
Notices
SimJet Turbine Direct Support Direct support for SimJet Turbines provided here.

Simjet mounting Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2005, 09:54 PM
jwsp69
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Simjet mounting Question

Is there a specific mounting position required on the simjet turbine.

Example...must the turbine be mounted with the glow plug right at the top?

hav been getting slight wet starts...with flames at the back when startikg but start carried on OK.

Thanks.
Old 02-06-2005, 10:13 PM
rcav8tr

Default RE: Simjet mounting Question

Hi

There's no specific mounting position required. We do reccommend that if you need to mount the engine with the glow glug down, that it be rotated to one side.

Which engine do you have and what are you starting it with?

Sincerely,
Ed

ORIGINAL: jwsp69

hav been getting slight wet starts...with flames at the back when startikg but start carried on OK.

Thanks.
Old 02-07-2005, 12:05 AM
jwsp69

Thanks,

I have the simjet1700AES.

Start with a butane /propane mix.

start is no problem can live with the slight wet start. only slight... its ok.

I was worried the mounting position would affect other problems i have.

I have problem throttling up the turbine at times.

1)From the data in IRDT. When it is running good at full thrust, RPM is 120K and pump voltage is about 2.6v. Sometimes when I throttle up, the RPM will hang around 75K to 85K. At times like these hung problems, the pump voltage continue to increase till about 3.8v or more. I guess it is tryin to get more fuel into the turbine to increase its RPM but the RPM still hangs at the 75K to 85K ending with too much fuel in the turbine...long flames from the back.

2)I use a futaba 9z, low ATV set to 70% and top end set to 117% with the throttle channel reversed. All the times, when it is throttling up with no hanging problems, I have full thrust at only HALF STICK. That means the top have of the throttle stck movement have no effect on the turbine, its already at full thrust.

outside air is 30degress C
80% humidity
sea level
running kero
New simjet ECU
ECU batt is 8 cells 1700mah
when i am running IRDT shows batt voltage 10.4 to 11volts.
(i will try a higher mah batt pack and see how it goes.)
Fuel tanks have been changed.
I have tried running it straight from the my main kero supply tank with as short as possible fuel line, still the same.

this turbine with ECU pump valves the complete works have been sent back to simjet for checks and all have been ok. tested by them all good. I am also with contact with LARS aboout my problems and he have been very helpful. Still trouble shooting. Hopping someone on the forum with same problems might be able to help.

thanks
jonathan

ORIGINAL: rcav8tr

Hi

There's no specific mounting position required. We do reccommend that if you need to mount the engine with the glow glug down, that it be rotated to one side.

Which engine do you have and what are you starting it with?

Sincerely,
Ed

ORIGINAL: jwsp69

Thanks.
Old 02-07-2005, 08:57 AM
rcav8tr

Hi Jonathon

The wet start issue could be caused by too little/too much powermax or by the ecu software.

As we wrote off line, Lars will look after your issue.

For those interested, Jonathan has an older 1700 which is not as tolerant of the high temperatures he flys in. As a result, his engine is experiencing a type compressor stall.

Sincerely,
Ed
Old 02-10-2005, 02:02 PM
MLaCoste
My Feedback: (15)

Hi Jonathan-

Thanks again for the great deal on the 3000!!!

What size fule lines are you using? It sounds like you have a restriction somewhere. You may want to look at the fuel filters, kinked lines, etc, anything that may be preventing good fuel flow.
Old 02-11-2005, 12:21 AM
jwsp69

Hi,

how you doing with the Simjet3000. What plane did you put it into?

Oh i have been trying all the stuff for almost a week, everyday. My fuel lines are minimum 4mm. I thought it was a problem with my fuel tank. Checked that was ok.

I even put the pump pickup line straight into my main gas container with a very short fule line...but still no luck. tried all configuration of tank, header etc.

Ed from GreatNorthern and Lars from Simjet have been a great help. After telling them my problems and the data I had from the IRDT Lars suspect that it is my compressor stalling at the critical stage of the compressor run up...70k to 85k rpm. I have one of old 1700 and have it is a different compressor. Suspect is that the hot air temp and humidity here is causing it and will have to have my compressor changed. So hav to send it back to Lars.

think they are scratching their head with this problem too....haahaa. but they have been real helpful.

hope it will solve the problem this time. fingers crossed.

jonathan

ORIGINAL: MLaCoste

Hi Jonathan-

Thanks again for the great deal on the 3000!!!

What size fule lines are you using? It sounds like you have a restriction somewhere. You may want to look at the fuel filters, kinked lines, etc, anything that may be preventing good fuel flow.