Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets > Turbine Clinic > SimJet Turbine Direct Support
Reload this Page >

Need new fuel pump assembly for 1200

Community
Search
Notices
SimJet Turbine Direct Support Direct support for SimJet Turbines provided here.

Need new fuel pump assembly for 1200

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2006, 05:53 PM
r3bldr
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need new fuel pump assembly for 1200

My simjet 1200 (13 pound version) has been giving me a lot of failed starts in the past. This usually happens on the first start of the day, after that it usually starts OK. I finally started to troubleshoot the problem and it's being caused by the pump. There seems to be too much friction, binding, stiffness, I don't know what but it's to the point now that a new D-cell Duracell battery (1.6 volts) touched across the terminals in my test rig won't get it running. I need to put two batteries in series to get it to pump fluid. After that if I quickly go back to one battery it'll run OK. If I let it sit for a while and put the single battery back on, it sits there motionless. When the engine is in idle (51,000 rpm) my volt meter on the pump terminals reads 1.53 volts so clearly the pump isn't starting to run early enough during the start sequence. I've been to the Flightworks website and their info says the minimum start voltage is .95 +/- .15 so 1.1 volts should be the most this pump needs to start running. I'd have quick, easy starts if that were the case.
Anyway, the troubleshooting's over and I need to buy a new pump. The only question is which one? I have an older version engine with the large Simjet ECU and the Flightworks model 100 (no suffix) pump. From what I've dug up, the 100 pump was replaced by the 100-A and that was replaced by the 200-B. I seem to be about two versions behind the times. If I buy this 200-B pump assembly will it work on my engine or will the ECU need any reprogramming or calibration? If nothing else, will the 100-A pump work also?
I'll bet the pump I have is OK but the little 'mabuchi' looking motor is probably the fault. Problem is I don't know if I can seperate the two without damaging the pump assy.
It's getting close to start flying again here in Utah, so I need to get this problem taken care of pretty soon.
JJ.
Old 03-22-2006, 06:58 PM
rcav8tr

Default RE: Need new fuel pump assembly for 1200

Hi r3bldr

From the trouble shooting that you have done, you have isolated the problem and your pump needs to be replaced. With regards to replacement, you have two main options. Replace the 100 you have with the 100A. This will give you the upgraded seals and will allow you to get up and running without any ecu re-programming. You may experience slightly "warmer" starts, but that will be the only perceptable change. If you want to go to the 200B pump, your ecu will require re-programming in order to recalibrate it to the higher pump volume of the 200B pump. If you were to run the 200B without having the ecu re-programmed, you could expect to see "hotter" starts due to the larger volume to voltage ratio of the pump.

The problem is actually with the pump and not the motor, so disassembly and replacement of the motor will not solve your problem.

For 100A pumps, I suggest that you contact Flightworks directly for a replacement pump. I just checked and we do not have one in stock. As for the 200B pumps, we have those in stock. You can also get them from SimJet, USSimjet LLC and directly from Flightworks. If you want your ecu re-programmed, please contact either SimJet or US Simjet LLC for information.

If you have any other questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Sincerely,
Ed

Old 03-22-2006, 07:17 PM
r3bldr

Thanks Ed. It looks like buying a 100-A pump from flightworks is the easy solution to get me back in the air so to speak. Their data on this says it's good for turbines up to 10 pound thrust (simjet 700 wren 44) that's why I was looking at their 200 model, but my ECU must be programmed for the smaller pump. I'll call them and get a 100A on order.
JJ.
Old 03-28-2006, 11:24 AM
Vampire
My Feedback: (2)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Hello 3bldr,

Your solution is the most logical.

Should you decide to change over to the Haussel pump, which is what Simjet has done, I can reprogram your ECU at a very minimal cost and turnaround time.

Please advise should wish to consider this if your issues with the FW pump repeats itself.

Brg.
Old 03-28-2006, 06:06 PM
r3bldr

I just received a model 100-A pump from Flightworks today. As soon as I get the connector soldered on and remount it back in the plane I'll try a few starts and see how it works.
Old 03-29-2006, 07:24 AM
Vampire

Sounds good.

Old 04-03-2006, 04:28 PM
r3bldr

I've got the new 100A flightworks pump installed and made one start this weekend. So far it's working great, the fastest startup I've ever had. It seemed the powermax was only burning a few seconds and then I could see the kerosene going in, (there were several bubbles from the new pump and lines). When it finally settled into idle the data terminal showed 1.37 volts on the pump...before it was around 1.89. I've got a few leaks in the yellow propane lines and fittings I've got to rearrange and fix before I can run it again though.
Old 04-03-2006, 05:12 PM
rcav8tr

Hi JJ

Glad to hear the new pump seems to have resolved your problem.

Happy flying ,
Ed
Old 04-04-2006, 06:49 AM
Vampire

Sounds like you made the correct decision.

Best Regards,