Community
Search
Notices
SimJet Turbine Direct Support Direct support for SimJet Turbines provided here.

simjet 2300 dead ecu?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2007, 09:34 AM
jonkoppisch
My Feedback: (162)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default simjet 2300 dead ecu?

I purchased a simjet 2300 that is installed on a roo.. He said that it's never been flown and I believe him as there are no control rods and the install wasn't completely done. He said that the turbine had only been bench ran and it does look clean, no reason to doubt that. Anyway, I finished up the install and went to test run the turbine, it cycled a couple of times with only the electric motor spooling up. I checked everything real quick, tried again and it spooled and started on the propane but that's all the further it would go. I shut it down, checked everything out, went to turn everything back on and now the switch lights (cockpit panel display) don't work at all... Nothing, dead. Checked all of the plugs, pulled the ecu and hooked up everything outside of the roo, nothing, no activity....

Any ideas?? Where do i have to send this thing to get it checked out? It was purchased at great northern models.

The fadec is 2002-d2. This thing sure is big compared to my jetcat...

Ps, it has the lipo battery
Old 05-02-2007, 10:27 AM
F106A
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: simjet 2300 dead ecu?

Check the wiring on the back of the LED panel. Several years ago I had a wire that broke off one of the terminals causing a situation similar to yours. I re-soldered the lead and everything was fine.
My 2300 runs great, never had a problem other than this one.
BRG,
Jon
Old 05-02-2007, 10:32 AM
jonkoppisch

Ed sent me this:

A couple of things to check.
1 the wiring on the back of the switch
2 what size of lipo
3 does the pump turn? Try putting 2.2v from two aa batteries to the terminals to see it turns
4 if you look inside, do you see a white block or a small circuit board attached to the main board?
5 check the starter to see it the wires. Inside have contacted the housing

I replied:

1. Everything looks ok, wiggled the wires, nothing loose, applied power and
wiggled wires, no sign of life

2. 3 cell, 11.1 2100

3. pump does run

4. circuit board, didn't see anything white

5. Everything looks alright there, applied power with the starter out of
the houseing... still dead..
Old 05-02-2007, 10:33 AM
jonkoppisch

I've ran jetcat and artes turbines.. I've heard great things about simjet. I'm looking forward to getting this one going!!! We have a jet event here in a couple of weeks.. doesn't look like I'm going to quite make it with this one, lol
Old 05-02-2007, 02:12 PM
Vampire

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like the Lipo Battery may be bad or the Control Panel switch is defective.

DO not attempt to perform a start on less than 10.3 volts.

It is also possible that you have a bad turbine to ECU cable.

Please give me a call in the shop this evening and I can walk you thru some additional checks.

610-746-9444 after 5:00 pm EST
Old 05-02-2007, 02:25 PM
jonkoppisch

Sounds good. I've tried wiggling and jiggling, hooking and unhooking, applying voltage etc etc etc, lol. I didn't receive any lipo instructions with the manual. On the attempted starts though, I don't believe that the voltage was ever close to that..
Old 05-02-2007, 02:46 PM
jonkoppisch

Here's some pics so you can see what we're dealing with...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk26767.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	676573   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ws56903.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	676574   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wb74908.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	676575   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bu58156.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	676576   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zl70348.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	676577   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bs13612.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	676578   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vx46999.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	676579  
Old 05-02-2007, 05:45 PM
jonkoppisch

tested all of the cables.. everything is showing continuity!!! Eck...

BTW.. Thanks for trying Jon (f106a)
Old 05-03-2007, 10:11 AM
Vampire

It is looking like the ECU may have an issue.

Please give me a call this evening as I have some options for you.

Regards,

Old 05-03-2007, 10:21 AM
jonkoppisch

Will do..
Old 05-07-2007, 11:19 AM
jonkoppisch

It was definately the ecu!!! Installed the 'loaner' took it outside, put some fuel in it.... Everything came on. It fired on the propane but still didn't kick over to the kero.. I tried again and watching the line for when it was time to switch to the kero I bumped my fuel pump a couple of times to get the line primed.. Fired right up!!! Only thing i have questions about now is the cool down.. This thing takes forever!!!! I bet it cycled 150 times!!! It will slowly drop the temp to under 70 before it stops calling for cool down. The last time i ran it i used my air compressor to help cool down and it still took quite awhile!!!!
Old 08-19-2007, 08:07 AM
F86_SABRE

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi,
A friend has problems with a similar engine. This was an air start engine converted to auto start system. The ECU is the FADEC 2002-D2-R, however, since he bought it from another person he was not provided with a manual.
What presently is happening was that the engine starts on gas but after a few seconds quits and takes its time to cool down. The heat sensor was changed and some improvements have been noticed but still the engine won't start. Last time I heard was that the pump moved a bit but didnt go. Maybe there is the same problem as described above or else its an ECU problem.
I would appreciate it if anybody is able to provide me with a copy of the manual pertaining to the above ECU (FADEC 2002-D2) since there might some clues there too.

I can provide you with my email address should you have a soft copy of the manual available

Any help will be appreciated.

With thanks

Reuben
Malta
Old 08-24-2007, 01:50 PM
Vampire

Hi Reuben,

Hope you are well.

Did you Calibarte the T/C to the RPM board after change out ? This is done with the use of the IRDT Data Terminal.

I suggest you disconnect the pump form the ECU and run fuel thru it for 10 > 15 seconds using an 4.8 volt Rx battery. DO NOT RUN PUMP WITHOUT FUEL FLOW THUR IT OR IT WIL BE RUINED.

Check to be sure that you have at the VERY MINIMUM 10.3 volts (the more the better) on the ECU battery BEFORE a start attempt. If you do not, the pump will not get enough voltage to funtion correctly after the solenoids, starter motor and glow driver are engaged.

Last but not least, check all filters to be sure they are clean and be sure your fuel delivery system (tanks and UAT etc.) are free flowing.

Earlier this week I had an exact same condition as you have discribed here and it truned out to be a fouled UAT. It had tons of algie in it. Replaced the UAT tank and the engine started and ran every time.

Brg.
Old 08-24-2007, 02:42 PM
F86_SABRE

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Kerry for the reply. I will inform my friend about your explanation. The engine is still on test stand as I had asked him to try it out before installation. Consequently, the tanks are new and no UAT is installed as yet.
The engine was originally an air start but then the original owner sent it to have it upgraded to electric start. I dont think he has the IRDT data terminal consequently he is very limited with what he could do. Whatever, this engine started out without problems after conversion and flown by the same guy who eventually bought it.
Anyway thanks again for the explanation. I will definetely pass this info to him. Much obliged.
Hope you are keeping well.

Regards

Reuben
Old 08-24-2007, 04:08 PM
ron Sweeney

Hi all Simjet users, I also need help. I have 2 planes currently grounded. I have sent eight seperate e-mails to Lars and his service colleagues over the last 4 weeks. Both my turbines fail to spool having got to the 'ready to start position'. I advance the throttle stick and nothing happens. I have tried both the origional process and the more recent 'wait till the orange light comes back on' before returning the throttle to idle. Nothing happens. I explained this in my messages and I had one return message 2 weeks ago stating what I had already explained which was no help at all and clearly showed that my message hadn't been read correctly. No I don't speak Danish but having spoken to Lars and I know his Enlgish is excellent. I have used different cable systems and cockpit display units and 2 different fully charged high capacity batteries. I really am in despair with this situation and concede that I may be at fault. I am an experienced turbine operator and have not had these issues with other makes. Are Simjet still in business??? What do I need to do to get a response?? I have posted both ecu's and an i.r. unit back to Simjet but have had no response. I have even used a third party e-mail in case mine is faulty. I have no problem with the turbines (300 and 1200) but these ecus defy logic and stretch my patience. Help please???
Old 08-27-2007, 08:23 AM
Vampire

Hi Ron,

I assume that you have the 2002-D2 SIMJET ECU, it sounds that something has changed.

As a starting point, I iwsh to state the proper set-up just too be sure that the start sequence is correct.

Please cehck the following items"

1. The Transmitter throttle ATV's should be set at approx. 125% at full throttle and 95% at low thottle.
2. When you turn the turbine control panel on, the green light should be blinking and the yellow light will come on when you move the thottle TRIM up to above mid range. Be sure that the trim is moved BEYOND at least 3 clicks AFTER the yellow light comes on.
3. Move the throttle stick to FULL and the yellow light will go out and when it comes back ON, only then, move the thottle stick to idle.
4. Now the yellow light is back on and with-in 3 seconds, the starter motor should engage and perfom the start sequence.

If your engines are doing something different, please advise and I will try to help
Old 08-28-2007, 01:46 PM
ron Sweeney

Hi Kerry, firstly let me say how pleased I am to know that you have taken the trouble to respond particularly since I am based in England and not necessarily under you umbrella of care.
My ecu's are as follows Simjet 3000 version 3.08 480 H last tested 22 jan '04. Simjet 1200 version 3.03 379 last tested 14 jan 03. Both ecu's display the same symptoms (or I am making the same mistake twice) When power is connected and the radio (Futaba) is switched on the starter motor engages for a split second and the green l.e.d. flashes. I have set the radio parameters such that when I advance the throttle trim from closed (with the throttle stick closed), the orange light comes on. As you advise I advance the throttle a couple more clicks. If I then advance the throttle stick to full, the orange light goes out but does not re-light no matter how long the stick is kept at the full position nor does the turbine go into the start sequence. The orange light will re-light only when the stick is returned to the idle position. I have tried the original start-up system which requires the throttle stick to be returned immediately following the full throttle movement but this also yields no response. With regard to the throttle parameters I used the settings quoted for the 1200 (which I have recently acquired second hand from an impeccable source) that were used and set out in the RCJI magazine test for the turbine. The 3000 turbine, which had been laid up for 6 months, employed the settings previously used successfully to fly a previous model, now disposed of. I have tried the reverse servo settings knowing that these were wrong and the starter motor goes into a permanent cycle of turbine spinning without advancing the throttle. Reading your comments suggests one thing that I might have done wrong on the original radio parameters. I never set the top end position more than 100%. In the past I have set this using the led's to indicate maximum r.p.m. and not experienced any difficulties
My problem now is that I have sent both ecu,s and an I.R. data sender to Simjet and can't get a response from them. Lars told me 2 weeks ago that they had been on holiday but I don't know if this is the current situation. However I am so pleased to be able to talk to you. Regards Ron Sweeney.
Old 08-28-2007, 02:23 PM
Vampire

Hi Ron,

I will try to speak Simjet - Denmark in the morning 8/29 and will advise of their progress or findings.

Per your description, I'm now confident that since you did not have the high end set to 125% or higher and since BOTH ECU's where acting the same , I think this may have been the issue. The fact that the yellow light has NOT gone out when you had the stick at full top end indicates to me that your transmitter has not reached the full 2 millisecond pulse width range needed for proper ECU operation to initiate the start sequence.

In short, the High throttle ATV needs to be set to allow for the yellow light to come on with the throttle stick at idle and the trim moved ABOVE the mid trim setting. I have seen settups where the operator used the throttle stick itself to trick the ECU into operation, BUT it was by shear luck that he was able to achive this.

I will be running engines in my repair shop this evening and I will try to "repeat" your setup using 100% (in place of 125%) on the high end and report what occurs.

Will advise 8/29.
Old 08-29-2007, 03:26 AM
ron Sweeney

Kerry, sincere thanks, I hope this is the problem although having operated my 3000 over a few years I guess I must have been lucky. looking forward to a reply, Ron Sweeney
Old 08-29-2007, 06:19 AM
Vampire

Hello Ron,

The 100% setting on my radio will NOT work as I suspected.

I sent off an email to Kim at Sim-DK for a response on the status of your ECU's.

Will advise of feedback asap.

Brg.
Old 08-29-2007, 03:18 PM
ron Sweeney

Hi Kerry, once again I am indebted to you for your support. I checked both my Simjet manuals and neither advise a top end setting for the atv value on the radio throttle setting. I have been using the Gaspar Espiel fadec on my Wren Super Sport and my TJT 3000 turbines and I think they both 'learn ' the top end settings however I imagine this is covered in the latest ecu info'. with thanks Ron Sweeney, p.s. give my regards to my long time sparring partner Mark Frankel. Ron
Old 08-30-2007, 10:25 AM
Vampire

Hi Ron,

Yes, on the GASPAR ecu's all that is needed is to set the Tx. atv's to MAX values and the ecu does the rest. All Simjet's today have this ECU.

I have asked Kim at Simjet to repsond to you as soon as possible on the return of your ECU's.

As for my buddy Mark, I expect to be doing some flying with him over the long holiday weekend and will advsie him or your regards.

Old 08-30-2007, 10:49 AM
ron Sweeney

Thanks once again Kerry, I hope Simjet appreciate your contribution to their business.
Did they say wether they had tested the ecu's and i.r. unit I sent to them because I requested this and also the supply of the small cable connecting the ecu to the i.r. sender unit. I also asked them to ensure compatibility of both ecu's with the i.r unit.
Re Mark. I have a fond but distant memory of a tour round Mark's basement hobby shop*** sorry workshop when I visited him and Frank Fannelli in the early 90's whist on holiday. He always spoke of you with reverence. Happy days! p.s. sorry to occupy so much of your valuable time. Ron
Old 09-07-2007, 06:11 AM
Vampire

Hi Ron,

I have spoken directly with Kim at Sim-DK and he is investigating your ECU matter. I would expect a response from him shortly.

Brg.

Kerry S.
Old 09-12-2007, 07:22 AM
Vampire

Hi Ron,

Kim has informed me by email that he has contacted you via this forum.

Please advise.

thank you.

Kerry S.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.